Start by marking “The Wicked City” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  4,143 Ratings  ·  598 Reviews

When she discovers her husband cheating, Ella Hawthorne impu
Published January 17th 2017 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked City, please sign up.
Bill Wehrmacher The two stories are chiefly linked by the common apartment. I think that Ms. Williams intentionally left sufficient loose ends so she could hook them…moreThe two stories are chiefly linked by the common apartment. I think that Ms. Williams intentionally left sufficient loose ends so she could hook them into a sequel. I hope so.

I don't think it is important to delve into the ghost story possibility, while it might be something new, she does touch some definite extra worldly situations in Overseas.

I really loved this book and would certainly look forward to another, although, I look for all Ms. William's books. (less)
Jan I don't think I know who Ella's parents are, however there is a connection between three of Beatriz Williams books that I initially missed, which may…moreI don't think I know who Ella's parents are, however there is a connection between three of Beatriz Williams books that I initially missed, which may help fill in some blanks. I happened to reread "A Certain Age", after I had recently finished Wicked City and Cocoa Beach. I was rather disappointed in Cocoa Beach because it didn't make sense to me. But, I realized the connections between the three books. If you read "A Certain Age" then "Wicked City" then "Cocoa Beach" you'll see the flow of connected characters. After that I loved Cocoa Beach because it suddenly made sense.(less)

Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am a long-time fan of Beatriz Williams' books. She has a unique ability to create feisty and head-strong female protagonists and interweave historical and modern-day story lines. Top this off with witty and flirty banter between the male and female leads and her books (a la old Rock Hudson and Doris Day comedies) and it's usually one fun romp. Unfortunately this new series fell quite a bit short from her previous works.

"The Wicked City" is the first in a proposed new series of books featuring
Cindy Burnett
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
The Wicked City is the first installment in a fabulous new series by Beatriz Williams. The story takes place on a dual timeline – in 1924 and in 1998. The plot is complicated so I will not retell the entire story here. While I liked both story lines a lot, my favorite was the Jazz Age 1920’s plot. Geneva Kelly is highly entertaining, and Williams includes so many twists and turns, none of which I predicted. I love when a tale can surprise me like that! I also learned a ton about the Jazz Age and ...more
Carrie
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just started reading this and noticed it is rated 1 star. Then I noticed only 1 person has reviewed it so far (no actual review, just a star) , and they are a newbie to GR and have given many books 1 star. So until I finish this, I am rating it 5 stars to balance out the one shady person who gave it 1 star.
Jessica
So, some spoilers for this book lay ahead. And a very, very mild spoiler for a couple of Williams’ previous books.

I reeeeaaaallly wanted to love The Wicked City, and despite a few narrative flaws (a handful of historical anachronisms, some important action happening off-page and being revealed—after the fact—only through dialogue), I was fully prepared to do just that because it was so goshdarn fun to read. Beatriz Williams knows how to write fun, soapish historical fiction that’s unexpected an
Christina
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars

This novels follows two different MCs.

There's Ella Hawthorne, in 1998, who just moved out of her apartment she shares with her husband Patrick when she catches him cheating on her. Within her first week, she meets Hector, a new neighbor to her, who warns her of the strange noises coming out of the basement late at night.

Then there's Geneva Kelly, also called Ginger and Gin. It's 1924, and she gets caught up in a raid at a speakeasy known as the Christopher Club. It's then that she meets O
The Lit Bitch
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I picked up my first Beatriz Williams book, I was completely engrossed and fell in love with her writing style.

I wasn’t sure that I would like her books and wasn’t excited to read the first one, but I did and when I began, I was completely sucked in and impressed with her ability to tell a story.

So from that point on, she earned a place in my heart as one of my favorite writers.

When this latest book came across my desk for review, I was thrilled because I knew the caliber of writing and sto
Ange H
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CHEKHOV’S GUN. We’ve all heard of it. “If you introduce a mysterious box of buttons and a haunted speakeasy in the beginning of the story, their significance needs to be explained by the end.”

ANGE’S RULE. I just made it up. When you choose the “told in alternate chapters by two different characters at separate times in history” format for your novel, then at the end some sort of relationship between these two characters should be revealed.

The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams violates both of thes
Caz
I've given this a B+ for both content and narration at AudioGals.

The Wicked City
tells the story of two very different women who live in New York City at very different times. In 1998, Ella Gilbert has just left her husband, and in 1924, Geneva Rose Kelly – known to her friends as Gin or Ginger – is a bright young thing who can be found most evenings at Christopher’s the speakeasy next door to the apartment building where she lives. While I enjoyed both stories, the book isn’t equally split betw
Angie
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
4.5 stars...

I'm a huge Beatriz Williams fan, and thrilled to see this in the library. I, of course, snagged it and quickly started it. I admit it took me a few chapters to get really "into" the story of Gin, but once I did, I couldn't stop reading! Gin's storyline is the historical one, think 1920's and speakeasies, and she has quite a backstory that we learn about as the book progresses. Complicated, scandalous, and resilient are words I'd use to describe her life. The more modern storyline has
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
The Wicked City has a dual timeline story, in the 1920s do we meet Gin Kelly a flapper who frequently visits the Christopher Club until the club is raided and she got an "offer" she can't refuse from Prohibition enforcement agent Oliver Anson who is after her step-daddy Duke Kelly, an infamous bootlegger. Several decades later has Ella Hawthorne moved into the house the Christopher Club used to be housed. At night strange noises can be heard from the basement, clinking classes, jazz piano voices ...more
Linda
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
1.99 on 03/12/17
Beatriz Williams is a favorite author, I love her writing. Another great read!
Tracy
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! It was a very fun read about the Prohibition Era and bootleggers. There was also a modern day story being told about Ella who naturally is part of the Schuyler family. I'll let you discover for yourself where she fits in on the family tree....

I loved the ending of the 1920s story. I was worried for a bit but things worked out okay. The ending was honestly pretty stressful but things came out okay. The main characters are now headed to Cocoa Beach, the title of the aut
Kelly
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I have read all of Beatriz Williams' books and this is one of my favorites. This novel switches between modern NYC where Ella Gilbert has moved to a new apartment after finding her husband cheating on her and 1924 NYC where Gin Kelly becomes involved in prohibition enforcement that targets her stepfather, a famous Appalachian bootlegger. I love historical fiction novels that switch between time periods. Williams throws in a few characters from her previous novels that makes it fun for her fans, ...more
Kathryn
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wicked City is set mainly in the 1920's with a smaller section of it set in1998. In 1998 we meet Ella - a scion of the Schyler family, recently separated from her husband Patrick after finding him in a very compromising position. She finds herself pulled into some mysterious goings on in the basement laundry - the sound of jazz from a speakeasy at night.

Back in the 1920's we meet Gin - Geneva Kelly, a young woman with a kind of double life, who frequents that speakeasy in New York. It is the tim
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

A first marriage, made for the wrong reasons, or because you didn’t have enough experience to judge the merchandise. Like a starter home or a starter car. You trade up.

She’s the kind of woman who carries an air of beauty around her, carefully cultivated, like a waft of rare oil. Delicate and chiseled. Skin as marble in the moonlight.

I realize we old folks aren’t supposed to talk about sex… but believe me, we had it. Lots of it. How do you think this country got so damned crowded
Zoe
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again Beatriz Williams sweeps us away into another time and place with a storyline full of deception, lies, adultery, jealousy, love, loss, passion and murder.

The story is told from two different perspectives. Gin, a young, strong-minded woman who enjoys her independence and the love of more than one man in New York City in the Roaring Twenties when prohibition, jazz, and speakeasies are the norm. And Ella, an intelligent, inquisitive woman who is determined to move forward after discoverin
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another remarkable book from Beatriz Williams!
Lynn
3.5 stars. It took me a while to get into this book. It's the story of two women: Ella, who lives in NYC in 1998, and who just caught her banker husband with another woman in a most compromising position; and Geneva "Gin" Rose, who lives in NYC in 1924, a flapper, good time girl from rural Maryland whose step-father is a big time bootlegger.
Ella leaves her husband and moves into an apartment building with quirky neighbors and a hidden past related to prohibition. Gin gets arrested in a raid in
Aura
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Beatriz Williams has taken me to 1920's NYC. I absolutely love this novel about "Gin" Kelly, a modern girl living and working in the wicked city of NYC. Christopher's, a speakeasy where the gin and jazz flow all night, is the hangout for working girls like Gin as well as the rich and fabulous socialites like the Marshall's and Schuylers. Wicked city is an exciting fast paced novel set in a the fascinating world and characters created by Prohibition.
Jess
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book reads like an old TCM movie. I could hear the twang of the times, envision the makeup of the flappers, and picture the smoky atmosphere of a speakeasy gin joint. A delightful way to pass a Sunday afternoon... though you may be tempted to make a libation towards the end.
Toni
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another captivating book from Beatriz Williams, tying 1924 and 1998 NYC together, not only in the same city, but in the same building. Lots of clever dialogue, smart damsels in distress, bootleggers, speakeasys and suspense. Like reading a "film noir." I highly recommend it.
Julie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another book where Ms. Williams has written unforgettable characters. Can't wait for the next one! I loved the cameos.
OpenBookSociety.com

Author Website: www.beatrizwilliams.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Daniele

Synopsis:

When sh
Brooke (Brooke's Books and Brews)
I absolutely love stories about the Roaring 20’s. There is just something about that time that appeals to me. Flappers, speakeasies, gangsters, etc….I find it all so interesting! The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams 20’s storyline did not disappoint. The story is set in 1924 and 1998. The story opens with Ella, who has recently moved into a prewar apartment building after she discovered her husband was cheating on her. She is warned not to go into the basement laundry room at night. I was immedia ...more
Karin
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up

From the GR blurb New York Times bestselling author Beatriz Williams recreates the New York City of A Certain Age in this deliciously spicy adventure that mixes past and present and centers on a Jazz Age love triangle involving a rugged Prohibition agent, a saucy redheaded flapper, and a debonair Princetonian from a wealthy family.

The book is better than this blurb in that normally I am sick and tired of love triangles--so over done! Other than a few stereotypical things and
Martin Turnbull
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Williams is one of those writers with a masterful ability to turn a phrase so exquisite that I find myself rereading them for the sheer pleasure of it. This is the second novel of hers that I’ve read, and if anything, I enjoyed it more than “A Certain Age.” My one quibble with this book is that I don’t really understand why she chose to weave a current-era plotline into the main narrative. I was enjoying it and kept expecting it to tie in to the past-era plot but it didn’t. Or if it did, I misse ...more
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
B. Williams just never disappoints. This book is simply brilliant. The dialogue, the characters, the plot... Just all around a wonderful read. If you love her books this one is a treat. The 1920s. Prohibition. New York City. Speakeasies.
Connie
This was like some patchwork quilt that you've imagined in your mind. You can see just how beautiful and perfect it will turn out. In your mind's eyes, all the colours and patterns mesh perfectly and you can follow it through with your eye, each sweep of you vision leads you to a more perfect piece...and it's not only beautiful but you know it's warm and comfortable as well.

However, once you actually sit down to join all the colours and bits together, you completely lose the vision and once you
Jessica
In all fairness I should probably start this review with the fact I've never read any of Beatriz Williams' previous books, so I don't have any standing knowledge of her writing or characters. So it actually surprised me when I picked up this book and started enjoying it as a standalone, only to slowly fall further and further out of sorts with what was actually going on. I feel like I should warn any potential readers that although this is technically a standalone first book, there are reference ...more
“How terrible a time is the beginning of March. In a month there will be daffodils and the sudden blossoming of orchards, but you wouldn't know it now. You have to take spring on blind faith.” 2 likes
“The word accountant turned a switch in people's brains, so that anything else you said just made a garbled Blah bla-bla-blah in the air, like Charlie Brown's teacher.” 0 likes