Start by marking “Killing Kate” as Want to Read:
Killing Kate

Killing Kate

A SERIAL KILLER IS STALKING YOUR HOME TOWN. HE HAS A TYPE: ALL HIS VICTIMS LOOK THE SAME. AND THEY ALL LOOK LIKE YOU.

Kate returns from a post break-up holiday with her girlfriends to news of a serial killer in her home town – and his victims all look like her.

It could, of course, be a simple coincidence. Or maybe not.

She becomes convinced she is being watched, followed eve
Published January 31st 2017 by HarperCollins (first published October 6th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Killing Kate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Kate

Skyler Autumn
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: loath
1 Star (Generously)

Kate is a typical small town girl living in a lonely world ; ) She is back from a girls trip to Turkey to get over the end of a 10 year relationship with her high school sweetheart. Now that can be tough on a 28 year old let alone add the fact she fits the exact description of the women in her small town being strangled to death at night. Call her paranoid (I know I did) but Kate starts to suspect that she's being watched and perhaps she's the next victim that caught the eye
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kate returns from a post break-up holiday with her closest friends as news of a serial killer, dubbed the Stockton Heath Strangler, hits in her hometown; all the victims look like Kate. Reeling from his breakup with Kate, Phil is drinking more and blacking out and once he is questioned in the connection to the murders, Kate wonders if the man she had spent ten years of her life with could be a killer.

Killing Kate by Alex Lake is a serial killer thriller following Kate Armstrong was my first expe
Joanne Robertson
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was a nice surprise to see this for sale on Amazon although after all the hype that surrounded After Anna when it was released, Killing Kate has rather crept in the back door without much of a fanfare! I thought that After Anna was a decent enough read so after reading a sample chapter of Killing Kate I downloaded the rest and settled down to read.

The thing that attracted me most from the sample was the fact it was set locally to me, around the Warrington area and I'm always a sucker for a Ch
Karen
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kate Armstrong has just broken up with her long-time boyfriend Phil and, together with a couple of friends, goes away on a short break to Turkey. Her ex is not taking the split well and develops obsessive stalking tendencies, in the misguided idea that Kate will reconsider and they can get back together.

In the meantime, Kate realises that she has the freedom to enjoy her new single status and takes full advantage; that is, until she returns home and discovers that women who look just like her ar
Claire Finlayson
Nov 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Killing Kate has an intriguing premise, and that is about it for the good things I can say about this book. In between the direly predictable plot, and the narcissistic irritant of a main character, there was not much left to enjoy. I found myself willing the killer to catch up with Killing Kate (pun absolutely intended) just so I could stop wanting to do it myself.

I could write page after page about why Kate is a nuisance, but I will spare anyone who is reading that misery. I have a sneaking s
Bookread2day
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hold your breath 1. 2. 3. Get set go, start reading Killing Kate, but be warned I did just recommend that you hold your breath before reading. If you thought that After Anna was a nightmare of a thriller, then I can a sure you all Killing Kate is much frighteningly better. Kate, May, Gemma, and Beth were four best friends, from their first days at infant school. Kate had finished with her boyfriend Phil. It broke Phil's heart that Kate didn't love him any more. Kate, Gemma and May go to Turkey f ...more
Liz Barnsley
I was a fan of Alex Lake's "After Anna" so I was looking forward to reading Killing Kate - and once again it was totally addictive. I do love a good serial killer thriller and thats kind of what you get here with an added mystery back story and a clever engaging plot.

So women are being murdered - they all look somewhat like Kate. Kate meanwhile is going through a divisive break up and with this on top its a worrying time.

Alex Lake weaves a fast moving and highly readable story here surrounding
Elizabeth
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Killing Kate by Alex Lake
serial killer is stalking your home town.

He has a type: all his victims look the same.

And they all look like you.

It could, of course, be a simple coincidence.

Or maybe not.

She becomes convinced she is being watched, followed even. Is she next? And could her mild-mannered ex-boyfriend really be a deranged murderer?

Or is the truth something far more sinist
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 1/2 STAR
2018; Harper/HarperCollins
(Review Not on Blog)

This is my second "suspense" novel by Alex Lake and I think I am now finished with Lake. I find that his mysteries are way too easy to figure out, and there is no suspense in his psychological thrillers. I may be in the minority regarding this book as it has a 3.9 rating on Goodreads. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

***I received an eARC from EDELWEISS***
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Kate has just broken up with her high school boyfriend after a 10 year relationship, and all she wants is to have fun, and figure out what she’s like as a single woman. Unfortunately, recent murders in her hometown have her on edge. When she realizes that all of the murdered women look eerily similar to her, she begins to worry.

She especially starts to panic when she can’t shake the feeling that she’s being watched and followed. When he ex-boyfriend gets dragged into the investigation, she wonde
Dayle (the literary llama)
RATING: ★★☆☆☆ / 2 Good Idea but Very Predictable stars.

REVIEW: I received this book from Harper360 in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not quite sure where to start. I feel a bit lackluster about writing this review because, frankly, the book was lackluster. So this may just be a very short review.

The overall idea is fantastic. I mean, of course it is, I wouldn't have picked up the book and read it if the synopsis and overall idea wasn't intriguing. A women notice's that a recent serial killer'
Yellagirlgc
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the publisher for my honest opinion.

Action! Suspense! Character development. All included in Killing Kate by Alex Lake. This was a five star read by an author that knows how to write the psychological suspense I'm a huge fan of. Once you figure out what's going on the action doesn't stop there. Great read to the last page.
Donna Hewitt
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
First half of the book was really good. Unfortunately second half was not so good and quite predictable. It was a shame as it could have been a really good book otherwise.

Ok book
Stephanie
3.5 Stars. Short chapters just make books so much more readable and I must say that they served this book really well. Even though the pace was actually pretty slow, the short chapters kept the suspense up and made it so much easier to say "just one more chapter" long after I should've stopped reading. As for the story itself...it was ok. It was kind of a different angle of a serial killer book and I liked that. Kate was not a very likable character. I preferred the chapters from her ex-boyfrien ...more
Luke
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
killing Kate was a good read but not fast paced enough for me
Amanda McGill
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, 2019
For full review - The Limit of Books Does Not Exist

I think the concept of Killing Kate is really interesting. What would you do if there was a serial killer out killing woman that looked exactly like you? Would you change your appearance or move out of town? Or think that it was just a coincidence? Since this is a fictional mystery novel, it is not just a coincidence.

The novel alternates between Kate and her ex boyfriend, Phil. They were together for 10 years, before Kate tells Phil that maybe t
Paula  Phillips
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it

Kate and her friends were close growing up, and they were a foursome that no-one could split up. That was until five years ago when something tragic happened to her friend Beth. Kate was the only one who could see what was happening with Beth and her new boyfriend Colin but didn't help till it was too late. Five years later Kate is re-evaluating her life and has just split up from her high school boyfriend Phil and headed to Turkey on holiday with her friends Gemma and May. Kate has a one-night
Jamma
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well this was just awful. The author would continually repeat herself just in case we didn't get it the first time. I guessed the killer way at the beginning - nothing exciting about this book
Cindi
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, on-blog, thriller
This is a really good thriller by an author I'd never read before. My only real issue is that I figured out who the killer was way too soon. That didn't (really) take away from the story but it was a little too predictable.

I actually purchased After Anna, the author's debut novel, before this one. I'm eager to start on it after reading Killing Kate.

Overall, a nice thriller. The main character, Kate, had a few TSTL moments but it was still an entertaining read.

Full review can be found at -

photo Potential-OTDU-Banner-9-Smaller2_zpsf0878d67.png
Rhian Eleri
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a story that feels like its building up to a killer twist. I knew from the first few pages that bad vibes were coming...and that something had happened in the past was going to catch up with kate and her friends. I had a couple of theories, and was a little bit dissapointed that i had guessed the outcome pretty much in the beginning. Even though i did fall for some red herrings along the way. but deep down, always knew what was going on!
Maybe i expect bigger things when it comes to psyc
Lisa Houston
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Loved Killing Kate. Its the 2nd book of Alex Lake's ive read and I wasn't disapointed.

There's a serial killer on the loose in your area. He's only killing females that look like you. That's what happened to Kate. She was the main character in the book. You could feel a real empathy to Kate. While this was going on she was going through a messy breakup with Phil. He was finding it hard to let her go. Following her at night, turning up where she is. She then finds out someone has been hacking into
Dorie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Couldn't do it.

Kate had zero personality, I was waiting for her killing to begin.

Come to think of it, none of the characters really had any memorable qualities.

Terrible, amateur writing. Hokey, inconsequential dialogue. Drawn out small talk. Unnecessary repetition - yes ALL of us readers remember that someone flashed their high beams while driving behind Kate, we don't need a summary of events each time Kate talks to the police. Jesus someone please kill her already. Kill them all. I was cheerin
Megan
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Predictable and boring. I guessed the killer halfway through the book. I also disliked the main character and her actions in the epilogue seemed contrived and fake. I am surprised at how many 4 and 5 stars this book received.
Kate
Absolutely fantastic! I loved After Anna and this is even better.

Michelle Trainor
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first Alex Lake book. It was a little painful for me to read. It was just so obvious what was happening here. I prefer my suspense novels to have more shocking twists. I predicted this book from the first chapter. This novel is narrated in third person from Kate's POV mostly but had a few chapters from Phil, Kate's ex-boyfriend's POV. The premise was interesting where girls in Kate's hometown are being murdered and they look exactly like her. I think a lot of people will still enjoy ...more
Jane Hodgkinson
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Tamara
Review to come closer to pub date.

Quick thoughts:
I wanted to LOVE this book. It had a great plot, but it just never did grab me completely. There were some excellent suspects and the reveal of the bad person was quite good.

Loved the cover! Maybe the cover and summary set my expectations too high.

All in all- worth a read. But I doubt I'll ever re-read.
Gillian Ashton
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Poorly Written. Couldn't get past that at all.
Claudia
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth King
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh dear. I really don't like stories where truly unbelievable villains have to explain how they did everything, and why. Domestic violence is horrific enough without resorting to cartoonish characterisation. I guess he would have got away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky kids (or was that an episode of Scooby Doo I'm remembering?)
If you do try reading this book, do yourself a favour and rip out the last few pages because you don't even need to know how a corny ending can sink from bad to wo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Jolly Roger Social Club: A True Story of a Killer in Paradise
  • My Bloody Valentine (DCI Antonia Hawkins, #2)
  • Wakening the Crow
  • A Final Arc of Sky: A Memoir of Critical Care
  • When They Fade
  • Nearer Home: A Nola Céspedes Mystery
  • Smile
  • Scavenger Hunt (A Finny Aletter Mystery, Book 1)
  • Spindrift:  Spray from a Psychic Sea
  • The Captain's Wife
  • Blood Justice: The True Story of Multiple Murder and a Family's Revenge
  • House of Bones
  • Tall Oaks
  • The Night She Died
  • The Darkest Goodbye (Lorimer #13)
  • The Deaths of December
  • Rewind (Rewind #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn
Alex Lake is a British novelist who was born in the North West of England. After Anna, the author’s first novel written under this pseudonym, was a No.1 bestselling ebook sensation and a top-ten Sunday Times bestseller. The author now lives in the North East of the US.
“a day or two before would seep upwards into their” 0 likes