Start by marking “Blackbird Summer” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Summer

Blackbird Summer

When the world fears you, being Gifted is a curse.

In the cornerstone of the rural south, Brooklyn, Mississippi, no one dares make eye contact with the strange Caibre family. Until the rewards are worth the cost. The townsfolk come, cash in hand, always at night, to pay for services only a Gifted can provide.

No matter the Gifts prevalent in her family, at twenty-one, Tal
Published April 12th 2016 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Summer

Em
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
--I am the author of this book.--
Small southern towns dot the map, and all have their royalty and misfits. Creating the fictional town of Brooklyn, Mississippi (a town both similar, and very different from where I grew up) was a whole lot of fun.

I have always rooted for the underdog and really enjoyed giving them the upper hand through magical Gifts.

I hope that you enjoy Tallulah, Logan, Delia, and Thomas, and their story. I'm happy to answer any questions about the book, so feel free to ask.

H
Annika
description

Having supernatural powers makes Tallulah "Tully" Caibre and her family outcasts in their hometown of Brooklyn, Mississippi. Constantly being met with mistrust at best and right out animosity at worst, they try to keep to themselves as much as possible. When tragedy strikes, Tully finds strength in her budding love with Logan who, with his dark skin, long hair and gentle nature, is completely different from the stuck up and hostile townspeople she's known all her life.
But when it becomes clear t
Justin
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my wife's book. I read an early version, and am looking forward to the final copy!
Elesha
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy of this book. I loved it! The characters are vivid and the story kept me guessing. It's a story of happiness and heartbreak. I laughed, I cried, I cheered...I didn't want it to end. I can't wait to read more from this series.

If you enjoy stories about family bonds with a touch of fantasy and lots of intensity, this is the book for you!
Jennifer Bardsley
Blackbird Summer is a page turning NA novel that combines southern gothic magic, with the deeply real issue of too much parental control. In this era of the Duggar’s from “19 Kids and Counting” and the notion that sheltering children from school and society can protect them from evil, Shotwell creates a world in which magical abilities is the family’s justification for isolating Tallulah and her sister and dictating their lives as young adults. If she’s not careful, Tallulah Caibre will be the n ...more
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Wow this is a fantastic book. I've been excited about this book for a while and it not only met my expectations it completely exceeded them. This book did not disappoint. The plot twists just kept on coming and each and every one knocked me side ways. I know I've read a good book when I'm struggling to form coherent thoughts. Like now. I am so excited for this book to be published because there are so many people I want to recomm
Kchase
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*ARC provided by author in exchange for honest review*

I loved this book. The author does a great job of building an interesting world filled w characters that-even though they use magic- feel real.

Fans of Sookie Stackhouse and Beautiful Creatures who are looking for their next fix from the sticks should look no further than Blackbird Summer. I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Heather McCorkle
This southern gothic paranormal blew me away. The take on magic was refreshingly new and the characters deep and well-developed. Fans of Beautiful Creatures who wanted something with a bit more of an adult feel to it will love this.
Nadia King
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Blackbird Summer' is a wonderful read from Em Shotwell. It's a highly engaging fantasy novel set in the rural South of Mississippi. Shotwell weaves a tale of love, murder and supernatural gifts.

Tallulah Caibre is a twenty-one year old who lives on the outskirts of Brooklyn. Tallulah has a gift which sets her apart from other girls her age. The rest of Tallulah's family is different too and in Mississippi that's a bad thing. With difference, comes a life mapped and planned out by the family. Bu
B. Hughes-Millman
I read the short story, The Chans, before reading Blackbird Summer, which is the reason I was so anxious to read this novel. From the very beginning I loved the writing, descriptions and characters in this novel. The Southern Charm appeal was very fun for me. But this isn't sunshine and butterflies throughout. It becomes deep and dark with suspense that thickens and seasons the stew of this story quite well. I laughed and, as other reviewers have mentioned, I cried. I cared about the characters ...more
Courtney Ingram
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by author in exchange for honest review.
In all honesty, I was weary about how I would feel about the book, I typically do not read paranormal novels. However, Blackbird Summer has proved me wrong. The entire story line was extremely relatable, even though many characters are Gifted. The small town vibe and close knit family welcomed you in.
Once I noticed I was almost finished reading- I was upset the story would be ending... I hope there are many many other books to this series.
Amanda
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Southern living, magic, and mystery make Blackbird Summer a must read! The characters are easy to fall in love with, and the story line will keep you reading! It is almost impossible to put down! So clear your schedule, grab a cup of sweet tea, and enjoy!
Faouzia
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank NetGalley, the Publisher and Author for the free copy of this book.
It is more like 4.5 Stars

Blackbird Summer tells the story of Tallulah, a very special girl living in Brooklyn Mississippi, a small town where people still hang on to prejudice against anything different.
Tallulah and her family are Gifted persons, and they always follow the same path and rules.. But, in this summer, she is facing hard time and hard decisions, that include Logan, an outsider.

When i read the s
Rebecca Lovell
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of Blackbird Summer and it may be the best book I’ve read in a long time. I said on Twitter that I wish Goodreads let me give a book 6 stars and it’s not a joke.

The Gifted members of the family are all so wonderful that I found myself wishing I was related to them. Their Gifts were awesome but it was the love they shared and the close-knit quality of their family that drew me to them, and it was the same love that tore me apart when tragedy struck them. I was
Andrea
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: http://www.emshotwell.com/2015/12/you...
I just came up for air after devouring this book in under 48 hours. Holy cow this is one of my favorite books I have ever read and without a doubt of one the best I have read this year.

It's hard to even know where to begin with what I loved about this book. The setting in insanely well developed, especially for a contemporary setting. I felt like I was inside the world of Blackbird Summer as intensely as any historical or fantasy book I've read. And it is Southern Gothic gold. Full of so many ri
Shala
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author was kind enough to send me a copy of this book.
I really enjoyed this book! It is for fans of the Beautiful Creatures series! You have Tully and her family with various Paranormal powers, living in a small southern town.
In enters Logan, and everything begins to change in life, good and bad for Tully. Murder, romance, and a tight southern family set in their ways!
The writing was very engaging, and I hated when I put this book down. I highly recommend picking it up!
Brandi
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to receive an advance copy of BLACKBIRD SUMMER, so excited that I read the entire book in 2 days! It was such an easy and entertaining read. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Nancy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a captivating paranormal suspense romance that will hold in its grips while you read it. This is a new auther to me but I am so glad I gave it a go. Great twist and turns and great suprise you will not see coming. The characters are brilliant and so is the interactions between them. I look forward to reading more of this authers books.

Siriniti Kidd
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

This book was very good. I was guessing the whole time and I still have questions. Who was the person the chief son was found with? Will their family accept Logan now? What about the town?
Itsy Bitsy Book Bits
This is a story about a young woman who comes from a family of Gifted outcasts. "Maybe our family was the same as everyone else, we were just all too afraid of each other to show how I really felt."
Tallulah is 21 years old and very rarely interacts with regular people. She has never dated, or kissed anyone and her sister refers to her as the good one or miss perfect, drives her nuts.
After meeting a young man she has
a real attraction for, Logan a young man willing to see beyond the small town gos
Katie Blythe
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This book was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest review*

Tallulah, Tully for short, and the rest of her family are not like everyone else who lives in Brooklyn Mississippi. They are all gifted, meaning some can help heal others through touch, some can control the weather with just their emotions and some can manipulate people just by looking them in the eye and telling them something. The whole town knows about their gifts and even though most of the people hate them, there are
C.L. McCollum
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Crossposted from my blog) I was lucky enough to con my way into… ahem I mean, acquire an ARC of my darling Em Shotwell’s small town Southern paranormal romance, BLACKBIRD SUMMER (and then immediately bought a copy once it was live LOL). And holy crap kids, this was a FANTASTIC debut. Seriously I already want the sequel. No really.

Tallulah (Tully) was such a delight of a narrator. I really felt for her dreams to find something different for herself, even though she loved her family like crazy. T
Margaret Tidwell
FTC:I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review. I received no other compensation and the opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own.

Blackbird Summer by Em Shotwell is a book that I would usually read but this year I want to read books that are out of my comfort zone and see what else is out there. I wasn’t a huge fan of this book but even with that being said I did enjoy it and I would consider reading the next book in the series. I did get into t
Deb
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Fiction Readers
What a riveting, contemporary fiction page-turner in paranormal romantic suspense. This full length novel is filled with gut-wrenching twists & turns for an unforgettable emotional roller-coaster ride full of surprises you won't see coming! ... Great attention to detail with a totally unique story-line and so different from anything I've ever read before, that will draw you into this new world of entertaining fantasy... Witty dialogue & well defined characters that you will either love o ...more
Christine Karmelreads2665 W.
When I started reading this book I wasn't too sure if I would like it. I had my doubts about what the story was trying to convey. At first I thought slow drama not very interesting and then it was like wow this story is pretty good. I got so caught up that I finish reading this book in about 2 hours and then was a little peeved that there wasn't more.

This book gave the impression that the story was based during a time when people had a really narrow view of the word at first and I almost thought
Brittany
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blackbird Summer is the first book of a new series by a new author. When books come out by new authors it may make you hesitant to read them due to no previous knowledge of the authors style of writing. However, the author of the book Blackbird Summer has an eloquent way with words. In the first chapter of the book I became completely engulfed in the story. The authors writing style enables you to clearly picture the setting of the book in your mind. The authors description of the characters are ...more
Amy Johnson
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. The story line and characters are so engaging and Em's writing style enchants you with flowing descriptive narratives and paints the surrounding landscape in a way that was both magical and eerie at the same time.
This was not my typical genre but I really found myself on the edge of my seat to see what twist and turn was coming up next. I found my
Jolene
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I would give this book 3.5 stars. The first third of the book kept me turning pages. I had high hopes for how the story was going to go. However, it plateaued. There was action and conflict but it seemed predictable. I really liked some of the characters a lot but some of them just weren't developed enough. I think more needed to be explored into Logan's history and his gift. The writing was great but not amazing; a few cliche phrases. There are many positives to this book. Like I said the writi ...more
Angel
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This is truly a Dark Gothic novel. It was dripping with Southern charm, despite the dark portions of the story. Every character was well constructed and believable.

Paranormal with tinges of fantasy, but it's also a coming-of-age and family drama. Throw in an unsolvable (for me) mystery and a little romance, and you've got the beginnings of a great series.

Highly suggested for those who like books with a little bit of everything and like reading
Randi Perrin
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is about modern-day x-men-style people living in the South, and their struggle to maintain a normal existence despite the prejudice that surrounds them and their powers.

The writing is vivid and fun. I'd say light-hearted, but there are times where this book is anything but light-hearted. It ultimately got to the point where I didn't want to (nay, couldn't) put it down. Every time I said I was going to put it down and go to sleep, I found myself turning another page and getting sucked
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Forgotten Suns
  • Swan Boy
  • Himmelstiefe (Zauber der Elemente #1)
  • Earth 2788 (Earth Girl, #0.25)
  • A Single Stone
  • Kisses On A Paper Airplane
  • Near + Far
  • No Substitute for Motives (Subbing isn't for Sissies #6)
  • Fated Memories
  • 31 Ghost Novels to Read Before You Die
  • 12 Hours in Paradise
  • Max's Arabian Adventure (Max's Adventures, #1)
  • Race Girl (The Go Girls Chronicles, #3)
  • Night Shift (Night Shift Series #1)
  • Felicity and the Featherless Two-Foot (Felicity, #2)
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Watcher Saga, #3)
  • Competing with the Star
Mama. Wife. Wonder Woman. Author of the Blackbird Summer series, Murphey Family Saga, & nefarious Womens Fiction. Lover of food, music, & sarcasm. Always dreaming.

www.EmShotwell.com
Or let's be friends on facebook: Facebook.com/EmShotwellauthor