Start by marking “Hidden Blade (Soul Eater, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Blade (Soul Eater, #1)

Hidden Blade

(Soul Eater #1)

"They call me devil, liar, thief. In whispers, they call me Soul Eater. They’re right. I’m all those things—and more."

Kicked out of the underworld and cursed to walk this earth for all eternity, the soul eater known as "Ace Dante" finds solace in helping others avoid the wrath of the gods.

Published July 7th 2016 by Crazy Ace Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Blade

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💥 November 21, 2018: FREE today!

Previous rating: 8 stars. I was young and naïve when I first read this book.
New rating : 10 stars. Now I am old and wise and stuff.

And the moral of this reread is :

And also:

· Book 4: Scorpion Trap ★★★★★
· Book 5: Serpent's Game ★★★★★
· Book 6: Edge of Forever ★★★★★

· Short-story: Chase the Dark ★★★★★

[Original review: July 2016]

Actu
Evgeny
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The gods of Ancient Egypt are real and some of them reside in New York City. Take a former soul eater who now calls himself Ace Dante. He was so enthusiastic about his job (eating souls) that he finally was kicked out of underworld and was cursed by Osiris himself.
Osiris
Trust an old Egyptian god to make a really creative curse. Basically Ace had to live in our world without ever going back. He was also bound (not literally) to a former demon sorceress Shukra (Shu).

These two hated each other in such
Sh3lly
The first 3 books in this series (of 5) are bundled together for $0.99 on US Amazon July 5, 2018!

I read this for the 2017 MacHalo Group Reading Challenge.

Review:

Marvelous.

Buddy read with the MacHalo group.

RTC.

I'm just going to write a quick review. So, this reminded me of the Daniel Faust series by Craig Schaefer. Male MC who is an anti-hero, does good things, but is also oh-so-bad. Well, this dude is not human and eats souls. But, he is a recovering addict and doesn't do that anymore. Or, does
carol.
description

I'm a bit bummed, because my friends have such enthusiastic reviews and now I'm going to harsh all over their mellow. It could be the Kindle; I'm not known for loving the format. But the writing was awkward, the plotting scattered, and DaCosta relies on titillation over world-building.

"Instantly told two of the worlds’ most powerful deities exactly what I didn’t want them to know: that I’d prefer to be anywhere else but here with them."
Believe me, they know. Because you've already told us you
Helen 2.0
Short, engaging, original. Fabulous antihero lead. Loved it.
Buddy read with the Pippa fangirls at MacHalo's.

Ace Dante was once a nameless monster in the Ancient Egyptian underworld, judging the souls of mortals and eating those he found unworthy. But his taste for souls grew out of control; as punishment, he was banished to earth and cursed to obey the god Osiris unconditionally. 500 years later, Ace does odd jobs in New York, fixing magical problems with his demonic business partner Shukra an
Robin (Bridge Four)
Well, well, well this is proof that you can write a UF fantasy series and not have a vampire or shifter in sight and it still is good.

description

The good news is that I enjoyed this so I shouldn’t have to worry about any of xXSarahXx”s crustaceans coming across land and sea to pinch me into submission.

❤❤❤The High Points ❤❤❤

Unconventional Main Character. Ace is cursed, a semi-reformed eater of souls, hey staying on the wagon is hard when souls are so delicious. He is stuck on earth working with his worst en
Choko
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, demons
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks, because we love us some Pippa!!!

Another fun, exciting, engaging and dynamic book by Pippa, who seems to do no wrong ever! In typical fashion she plunges us in a world full of demons, gods and everything in between. Ace Dante, the Nameless One from the underworld, has been cursed with a multi-faceted curse, which has bound him on our world with one of the gods from the Egyptian Pantheon, to an ex-demon-witch, and who knows what else, making him on
Final Review:
I don't know how she does it but Pippa DaCosta consistently comes up with exciting new ideas and Hidden Blade is a breath of fresh air for urban fantasy fans. Egyptian mythology is fascinating but it's actually very underused in UF so I couldn't be more thrilled about this series. Imagine a modern day New York that is actually run by ancient Egyptian gods who are hiding in plain sight. The mayor and his wife? You might not know to look at them but that's Osiris and his wife (and sis
Emma
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I flatter myself that I am quite discerning about urban fantasy- after all there is a LOT of it out there and a LOT of it isn't great. So I was a little sceptical going into this new series. However several goodreads friends have read this series recently and with overwhelmingly good reviews, so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.
And wow! That is one decision I don't regret. This was fantastic! I don't even really like Egyptian story lines, but this was so well done. It's a short book but the w
Steven
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up. It would have been a full four but I felt that the end didn't really tie up the plot very well and make it feel complete. I loved the Egyptian mythology and have high expectations that book two will feel more complete and take the story to a higher level of awesome.
Milda Page Runner
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Milda by: Evgeny
As I’m blitzing through the third book in a row it’s probably time to review the start of this series. :)
Engaging and fast paced urban fantasy set in New York. Paranormal side of the story is based on Egyptian mythology and old gods which is a nice change from usual vampires and werewolves. Main character is not exactly a goody two shoes and series turn out to be darker and edgier than it appears at the first glance. It could proudly sit on the shelf next to Sandman Slim and Daniel Faust.
Not qu
Maria Dimitrova
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all urban fantasy fans
Buddy read with the MacHalos.

Another brilliant urban fantasy by the Goddess Pippa DaCosta! Fast paced, fascinating worldbuilding (Egyptian Gods are real! Do I need to say more?) kickass characters! A perfect blend that hijacks your brain and demands that you pay attention to nothing else. The only real flaw was the length - it's way too short! I felt as if I just started and BOOM! it's over! That of course doesn't mean that the conclusion was rushed. Everything was expertly handled and as a firs
Jo
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars - Buddy read with the weekly UF group over at BB&B.

Is there anything better than a sexy anti-hero, who is a little broken and a lot bad-ass….? Nope ;-) Ace Dante is a Soul Eater who was kicked out of the underworld and cursed to walk the earth. He was forced to share a bond with a demon sorceress, one he deemed unworthy before and now they have a sort of frene

Pippa DaCosta
UPDATE: The entire series is now available in Kindle Unlimited! Download and binge-read Ace and Shukra's epic adventures today! PLEASE NOTE: This series will be unavailable in KU from Jan 6th, 2019. (It will continue to be available at Amazon to buy and once more available at B&N etc)

ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ
All I can say is how and why did it take me so long to read a Pippa DaCosta book? I am blown away and awestruck over her writing. UF at its finest!!!!!!
Penny
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok

DNF. I stopped reading somewhere in chapter 12.

I have no interest whatsoever in this story.
Meigan
Fast-paced and full of action, Hidden Blade was a fantastic first entry in Pippa's new Soul Eaters series.

Ace Dante, otherwise known as the Nameless One, is a soul eater. Infamous in the city of New York, he's also feared. Not only because he's a soul eater, but mostly because he's one badass dude who excels at hunting and killing demons. He's also cursed and more often than not, the curse wears heavy on him, taking away much of his freedom. When a string of murders is brought to his attention
Cheryl La Pa
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
4.5 Stars! Ms DaCosta has perfectly balanced all the elements to create an outstanding paranormal urban fantasy series. It is an adrenaline-pumping, non-stop action thrill ride set in New York where ancient gods roam.

I was drawn into the story from the first page and it kept my rapt attention until the end. I don’t read many books with male leads, but Ms DaCosta nailed it perfectly. I loved Ace even though he is a soul eater and demon hunter who is bound to a god.

The plot is smooth flowing wit
Dana aka ♥Belladonna♥
So. Freakin'. Awesome.

When I picked up this book, I wanted something I could totally lose myself in. Something that would wrap me up in a fast plot and whisk me off to a fantastic new place, to immerse me in someone else's world. And, oh boy, did Pippa DaCosta deliver.

Ace Dante. Wow. How to describe him… He’s like Deadpool, a mercenary for hire, only minus the manchild and heavy on the badass, with a spelled, glowing sword that eats the souls of those he slays. Demons, witches, preferably the d
 Simply Sam ツ
This is probably more like 3.5 stars, almost 4 stars. Maybe I should just round up to 4 stars? Gah! I'm not sure.

This book was pretty down and dirty and to the point. You have Ace, a former soul addict (he literally consumes souls which act like a drug to his system) who, thanks to a curse, has turned slave/errand boy for Osiris, one of the big, bad Gods. Ace just so happens to also be the ex-husband of Bastet, the cat-goddess and protector of the "blessed", which in this case is pregnant girls.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Buy this book now. A shocking and stunning new series, Hidden Blade will cut deep. Queen of torment, Ms. DeCosta creates another world where the lead character is totally screwed over. Starting with page one, I am hooked and can't stop until I get to the end. This story moved fast and kept my adrenaline pumping.

I loved Ace Dante. He is the antihero who is really a hero but given a raw deal. What happens when the good guy is the loser and the evil guy is the winner? Enter in Ace Dante who is bet
Kira
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ace, the nameless one, is stuck in a rather unfortunate situation. He's a powerful being but his life isn't his own. By nature he's a bad guy. It can't be helped. Eating souls is what he does. He's also forced to do bad things because of his situation with Osiris. At heart he wants to be good, but it doesn't come easily. I love characters that are as conflicted as Ace is.

All of the other characters were interesting, but it was hard to get attached to them. The world building was good. The use o
Sharon L
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 7-2016
Pippa Dacosta had done it again. I can't trust my heart around that woman, she tears it out mercilessly.

I'm not growing used to seeing it outside my body. But that's the thing about Pippa, multilayered characters, great actions scenes and an emotional rollercoaster can be expected EVERYTIME you pick up one of her books.

Pippa Dacosta is one damn awfully good author. And I just.... well, it's hard to review each and every one of her books considering I'm really trying to avoid being repetitive.
Jennymort ♔ Dark Lordette
description

Just to get this off my chest ... I LOVE EGYPTIAN GODS! Hell, if I could I would ship my ass to freaking Egypt.

It would be kind of pointless to do a full review on this since it's under 200 pages. WHY ?! But needless to say, I wish there was more god ass kicking and less ... meh.

Like, give me some of this -
instead of this -

ONTO THE NEXT!
Jennymort OUT.
Jeanny
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
No spoilers=not much detail on plot. I'll let the premise tell you what the book is about. This review is about my experience with Hidden Blade (Soul Eater, #1)

No one likes getting excited about a book only to be disappointed in its story later. As a result every avid reader has developed (some consciously some not) a criteria they've determined usually makes for an enjoyable read. After all, at its most basic it's a game of probability & we all want to stack the deck in our favor. Well, thi
Coco.V
Jan 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebies
💝 FREE on Amazon today (1/2/2018)! 💝

Blurb:

But when warrior-bitch, Queen of Cats, and Ace's ex-wife, Bastet, hires him to stop whoever is slaughtering her blessed women, Ace is caught between two of the most po
Katelyn (Lost as Alice, Mad as the Hatter)
Complex, 3 dimensional characters: CHECK
Fresh look at urban fantasy: CHECK
Well rounded and engaging plot: CHECK
Believable interpersonal dialogue: CHECK

Frankly, I thought this book was fantastic! Oddly I found this book because I was reading Jim Butcher's Dresiden Files, which I was not entirely fond of (but did promise to read a certain number.)

My lack of drooling fandom for that series is one of the reasons I found Hidden Blade so refreshing.

Five hundred years was a long time to walk
Marianne
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've always had a thing for mythology and in Hidden Blade I get that in spades:

The old Egyptian gods did not go quietly into the night. Instead they moved to...

The Gods of the afterlife are hiding in plain sight from the general population, posing as prominent members of society. Much to the dismay of Ace Dante; The Nameless One, aka devil, liar, thief... and Soul Eater...

For the last 500 years he’s found himself - not only bound to one of the most powerful of gods; Osiris, posing as the mayor
Heather Blair
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a slow starter for me, but once it got cooking, daaaaamn.

I love DaCosta's style and this new world is a rich and brutal one, just the way she does them best. The Egyptian mythos was blended in perfectly, the gods vicious and nicely psychotic. And Ace is one hot conflicted anti-hero. We still don't know all the ins and outs of his past yet, but what's been revealed of his backstory so far is enough to leave me hungry for more.

Bring it!!
Nia
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

This book is just the way I like it.

Bloody.

Gruesome.

And Funny.

WHAT is this about?

Kicked out of the underworld and cursed to walk this earth for all eternity, Ace Dante finds solace in helping others avoid the wrath of the gods.

• Community Service (Broken Mirrors, #3)
  • Kill Baxter
  • Keeping it Close (Downside Ghosts, #5.6)
  • Every Demon Has His Day (Demon, #1)
  • Keeper of the Moon (The Keepers: L.A. #2)
  • Hazard (West Hell Magic, #1)
  • Forsaken By Shadow (Mirus, #1.1)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Angels & Demons (Angels & Demons, #1)
  • Unthinkable (Beyond Human, #1)
  • Full Metal Magic
  • Inside Out (PsyCop, #0.1)
  • Magic Bleeds - Conclave (Curran POV #8)
  • The Merging An Ian Dex Supernatural Thriller Book 1
  • A Murder of Mages (The Maradaine Constabulary, #1)
  • Silver and Salt
  • Dweller on the Threshold (Beri O'Dell #1)
  • A Devil Named Desire (The Devil's Bargain #2)
Born in Kent UK, USATODAY bestselling author Pippa--- "Wait a second. Let's cut to the chase. I write kick-ass urban fantasy & sci-fi novels with conflicted characters, breathless action, and no-holds-barred dialogue. My books may not leave you feeling all fluffy and warm inside, but they will excite you. There will be plot-twists, angst, probably a few dead bodies, and very likely your favori ...more

Soul Eater (6 books)
  • Witches' Bane (Soul Eater, #2)
  • See No Evil (Soul Eater, #3)
  • Scorpion Trap (Soul Eater, #4)
  • Serpent's Game (Soul Eater, #5)
  • Edge of Forever (Soul Eater, #6)
“The eyes really were the windows to the soul, and Quiet Guy’s was no longer home.” 0 likes