Start by marking “Tow-Truck Pluck” as Want to Read:

Tow-Truck Pluck

(Pluk van de Petteflet #1)

Pluck has a little red tow truck. He drives it all over town looking for a place to live. Then Dolly the pigeon tells him that the tower of the Pill Building is empty. In the Pill Building, Pluck meets Mr. Penn and Zaza the cockroach.
Pluck makes lots more friends and solves all kinds of problems. But the biggest problem is Dove Grove. It used to be a garden with tall tree
Published July 7th 2016 by Pushkin Children's Books (first published 1971)

Start your review of Tow-Truck Pluck
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
This is a children's picture book and it's a children's chapter book. And it's absolutely delightful. It may be my favorite of the 1001 Children's Books.

It wasn't easy to find.

Tow-Truck Pluck is the story of a little boy, Pluck, who drives a small tow-truck around town, and finds a place to live in the tower of the Pill Building. Pluck quickly makes friends with Aggie (whose mother is obsessed with cleanliness), the Stampers (a dad and his six unruly sons), Dolly (a helpful pigeon), Zaza (a coc
Laura (bbliophile)
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I saw that this one was available on Netgalley, I immediately jumped at the chance to read this again. Pluk van de Petteflet, the original Dutch version of this book, was my all-time favorite as a kid and reading this again as a semi-adult in English didn't disappoint. It was still a lot of fun: I loved the characters, the story, and the illustrations. And the translation was great.
Greta G
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Tow-Truck Pluck

I have fond memories of reading this book to my children. Inventive story and probably one of the best children’s books ever written.
Anne
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I believe this book has been read by practically every Dutch child since it was first published in 1971. Since no one ever bought it for me *glares at family members*, I had to get my Pluk fix from being read to from it at kindergarten and the early years of primary school. Of course, sitting in a classroom with roughly 25 other kids who were noisy and smelly didn't make it the best kind of experience. Sooo, I had to make numerous visits to the library instead to be able to read it properly. Whi

Willem van den Oever
Dutch author Annie M.G. Schmidt is likely best known for the adventures of toddlers Jip and Janneke. Their adventures are read to and by all Dutch children, and every household is bound to have at least one item which features the black silhouettes of the most well-known neighbors in Dutch literature. But it might be “Pluk van de Petteflet” (translated into English as “Tow-Truck Pluck”) which might the more accomplished book of Schmidt’s oeuvre.

Pluk” tells the story of a small boy - parentless,
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: Tow-Truck Pluck is a fiction picture book written by Annie M.G. Schmidt. It was translated by David Colmer & published on 7/7/2016 by Pushkin Children’s Books, 200 pages. The original book is called Pluk van de Petteflet, one of Netherlands’ most popular children’s books of all time. The author was born in 1911 and died 1995. She won the biggest prize for children’s books called The Hans Christian Andersen Award. She also wrote for radio and TV, songs, musical, and radio plays, but she wa ...more
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brtowtruckpluck
Finished reading: October 18th 2016
Rating 5qqq

“And he skipped off... That was strange because he hadn't eaten any berries. But it does happen... Some people don't need hassle berries to skip and play, it just comes naturally.”

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Pushkin Children's Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Tow-Truck Pluck is the story of a small boy with now parents, family or history. He has no home so when he finds a room in the tower of the Pitt building, he moves in. Each chapter is a story in itself. Pluck meets many of the residents of the Pitt building, some kind, some not so kind, some strange but all interesting. Along with the people he meets, he also meets and helps animals such as ZaZa the cockroach, Dizzy the squirrel and Longmount the horse. Pluck is always willing to help his neighb ...more
Katy Noyes
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've loved Schmidt titles previously, and have been hugely surprised to love the translated children's books that have been making their way over to the UK in the last few years. Some unknown gems!

This is a lovely story about a boy and his tow-truck. Part fantasy, part wish-fulfilment, little Pluck is looking for somewhere to live and is directed to an empty flat after meeting a friendly pigeon. He soon finds himself getting involved with the residents (some nice, some not so nice), and doing hi
Kim
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided to me as a digital review copy by the publisher, via Edelweiss, in exchange for an honest review.

Tow-Truck Pluck was originally published as a weekly serial in a Dutch magazine in the late 60s, and was published as a book in 1971. It is still known as one of the most popular Dutch children’s books ever, and I can see why. This is a wacky little book, and it took me a minute to get into the flow of the story, but once I did, I was invested. You have Pluck, who, by all accou
Samantha
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This book is, without doubt, my favourite book from when I was a little girl. Even now, it has a special place in my bookcase (next to Abeltje and De A van Abeltje!)

Back then, I loved this book for the wonderful adventures, the silly, outrageous, but lovable characters, and the colourful illustrations.
These days, I still love this book, especially for the lovely memories I have of it, but also for the reasons above. I still love the adventures, the characters have gotten even more wonderful (now
Karin
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with great imagination, this book just comes to life!
Shelves: favorites
My all time favourite children's book! I read the Dutch version ("Pluk van de Petteflet") when I was younger and to date it is the only book I have read more than once.

Enjoy pluck's adventures and endeavours with him, with the funny characters he meets and odd places he sees. Pluck also learns a thing or two about important things in life, such as friendship and trust. All this is accompanied by amazing drawings by Fiep Westendorp to really get your imagination flowing.

I am going to buy the Eng
 Reading Reindeer
Review: TOW-TRUCK PLUCK

An imaginative children's chapter book about a little boy named Pluck and his fully operational tow truck, TOW-TRUCK PLUCK promotes friendship and cooperation while stretching the imagination of young readers. Pluck doesn't have a home, till a friendly park pigeon named Dolly tells him to try the Pill Building's empty tower room. Pill moves in, and that's just the beginning of lots of friendships, adventures, and animal rescues, to the delight of readers.

TOW-TRUCK PLUCK wa
Sara
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pluck is a friendly Dutch boy who lives in the tower of a large apartment building and drives a little tow truck. He is kind to everyone, including animals (and cockroaches and pigeons!) and is always willing to lend a hand with his truck. Great reading for my four year old. The story has enough continuity to keep us interested, and all the seemingly random loose ends are tied up by the end. Charming without being saccharine.
Rachelle
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Dutch story that I read through with my son at bedtime, one chapter at a time, as one should. Not only was it a thoroughly enjoyable and educational read, but I feel like I have a better sense of the influence it had on my own contemporaries, shaping the illustrators and writers who are emerging today. Such great artwork and original characters. Never before has a pet cockroach been so winsome.
Lisette
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dutch
Oh, the good old times. I remember my mom reading this to me when I was little. I always liked the story, although at some points, I didn't want to hear it anymore, because the character would do something stupid. I was more of a shy child who didn't do much crazy things, so when a character would do such a thing, I could see how it would end (like stealing candy and the mother being mad).
Julie vb
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple but beautiful ! And I loved the big edition of the book when i was a little girl. I often carried it around with me in a restaurant on sunday and everyone was so impressed with the little girl with the big book ;) x
Charissa
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story! I really liked little Aagje and the situations she got into (I don't know why, but it may be because I just love the color pink, and she's a bit of a girly girl, so she kind of relates to my five year old self :D)
Stella
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've discovered Annie MG Schimdt as an adult, but I still enjoy reading her stories.
Pluk is a wonderful story about friends and caring for animals and nature. My favourite character is the "Weer-wolf".
Melinda
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my biggest takeaways from our recent vacation to Holland is an obsession with all things Schmidt/Westendorp. I brought back this beautiful translated edition of Tow-Truck Pluck and loved every page of it. This is hilarious, whimsical, magical children's literature at its best.
Revlie.schuit
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reading this favorite with Sanne and she adores it. brings back good child memories for me! the best children-book writer is no longer with us, but her books are magnificant!
Mireille Divjak
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
reading to my daughter =)
Jasja
Another one of my favourite children's books ever. Annie M.G. Schmidt was a brilliant writer and it's a real shame hardly any of her books were translated into English :-( .
Remi van Beekum
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it when I was a kid! Still do ;-)
Wendy
My FAVORITE book since I was a little girl and so great to see that my kids love it too.
Marlies
Every Dutch child read it I guess...as did I
Leontien
hahah omg this was at my recommended page haha I read this when I was five or something xd
Annie M.G. Schmidt was one of my favourite writers back then
Hanne
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neanders
goodreads just recommended this book to me. little do they know i read it a bizillion times as a kid! love this book, love the author, and love Fiep Westendorf who did all Annie's drawings!
Lisa
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Dutch children's book.
Sara
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book. part of my childhood

• Kruistocht in spijkerbroek
  • Koning van Katoren (Katoren, #1)
  • Achtste-groepers huilen niet
  • De brief voor de koning
  • Dolfje Weerwolfje
  • De Zevensprong
  • De Gorgels
  • De kleine kapitein
  • De Griezelbus 1
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud  (De brief voor de koning #2)
  • Superjuffie!
  • Hoe overleef ik mijn vakantie? (Hoe overleef ik, #1)
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Kappen!
Anna Maria Geertruida Schmidt was a Dutch writer.

Although she wrote a variety of poems, songs, books, plays, musicals, and radio- en television drama, she is known best for her children's literature, for which she received the Hans Christian Andersen Award in 1988. She committed suicide a day after her 84th birthday and was buried in Amsterdam.

Pluk van de Petteflet (2 books)
  • Pluk redt de dieren