Start by marking “Red, White, and Brew: An American Beer Odyssey” as Want to Read:
Red, White, and Brew: An American Beer Odyssey

Red, White, and Brew: An American Beer Odyssey

Red, White, and Brew is the ultimate beer run across the United States, during which Brian Yaeger visits fourteen breweries of various sizes and talks to founders, owners, brewmasters, consumers, and anyone else he meets on his odyssey and who enjoys the making, tasting, and appreciating of brews.

Red, White, and Brew pursues the roots of brewers who brought their craft wit
Published September 30th 2008 by St. Martins Press-3pl

To ask other readers questions about Red, White, and Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red, White, and Brew

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,600 books — 6,913 voters
My Life in France by Julia ChildKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainRelish by Lucy KnisleyGarlic and Sapphires by Ruth ReichlHeat by Bill Buford
Cooking Memoirs
105 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Amanda
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Every chapter covers a particular American brewery. Some are just way more interesting than others--Dogfishhead, Anchor, Yuengling, etc. Then there are those that you just wonder why the heck Yaeger included them in the book. But, I'm a beer geek and love travel writing, so overall this was an enjoyable read.
Lisa
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a quick and enjoyable read, showcasing the American brewing companies that have survived through the ages. I also appreciated the map that let you follow along on Yaeger's travels. This is an inspiring book for anyone that is serious about micro-brewing.
Chris
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, the stories of the breweries and all that. If you're into beer OR family businesses, it's a good read.
Agatha Donkar
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was written for me: a travel book about BEER. Not for everybody, but definitely for me.
Leslie Basalla
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A pleasant enough road trip to a variety of American breweries, new and old, however it is woefully dated at this point, with the explosive growth the craft beer market had undergone since it was published. There are also quite a few errors in terms of beer styles and brewing terminology, which a casual craft beer drinker might not notice, but a professional geek will find glaring and grating.
Belle
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
i almost put this book down in disgust after reading only 3 pages, but finding a very obvious factual error that no beer aficionado (or his editor) would make. i decided to give the book a chance, and well, for bathroom reading it was ok.

i endured the author's amateur writing style and hackneyed road trip hijinx tales because i wanted to hear the stories behind several of our nation's brewers. i found their stories to be much more interesting and inspiring than hearing about how he slept in his
Ben
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
This was an encouraging readm, the sort of thing that says :"yes, ben, you too can be a beer writer." It's an outsider's take on an insider's look through the American craft/regional beer industry, paying more attention to high volume and distributed brews than necessarily the creative ones. Essentially, each chapter is a different brewery and ends with some anecdotes associated with travel from point A to B. Sometimes the Brewer's are sufficiently interesting, and rise above the re-teller's lim ...more
Robert
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beer
I just took a drive across America with this author visiting some pretty darn major breweries and some small brew pubs. This is a pretty good road trip journal across the beer map of America. There were some pretty interesting visits and some more mundane and just there stops as well. However as a coalesced whole this book did a nice job of visiting those breweries that the author could during a somewhat whirlwind and bizarre trip across (and back) America. For beer culture aficionados this may ...more
Ellen
Nov 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Although this was an interesting book about U.S. breweries and brewpubs large and small (including our own Free State Brewery), I was disappointed in the quality of the writing. Sometimes, I felt like the author was trying too hard to be clever, and at others, his style was disjointed and confusing. Still, I enjoyed learning about the 14 breweries he visited and the founders, owners, brewmasters and loyal customers that make them successful.
Jesse
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not really "reading" this, but it's in my bathroom and I flip through it occasionally. It's basically the story of one guy's road trip around the country visiting breweries. There are a couple of interesting characters, but ultimately it's a personal travelogue--and not an especially compelling one--rather than a useful reference to beers. It's like he doesn't want to say anything critical about the beers that his newfound brewer friends create.
Paul Young
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable travelogue, odyssey, and series of interviews focused on brewers and their breweries. No pictures - darn! - but the brewers' stories were interesting and many were very open about likes, dislikes, personal histories, and so on. Especially interesting as a historical document, as it was published in 2008, and the last seven years is a lifetime in the craft brewing world.
Bob
Feb 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Got this for my birthday. Read it very quickly. It's an enjoyable tour of some of America's most notable breweries - or, at least the ones with the best stories. The writing is a bit ham-fisted at times but the stories from the brewers are good. Well-suited to summer reading with a frosty mug nearby.
Angie
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, travel, food
The author road-tripped around the USA, seeking out breweries and brew-pubs, interviewing the owners and sampling the beers. Very inspiring. Our breweries and the people behind them are things to be proud of. Makes me want to start my own.
Patrick
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
As a beer geek I enjoyed this, but the writing wasn't always great and it did get a bit repetitive. On the other hand, now I know where to find craft beer in nearly every corner of the US. An easy, enjoyable read, but nothing spectacular.
Polly
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an amusing account of the author's travels to various breweries across the country. I don't know what it says about me, but I've been to many of these breweries and had most of these beers!
Dan
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Fun premise; writing style distracted me.
Joy
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Travel diary of a beer journey around the country. Not a bad topic for the author's masters thesis!
Brian
Aug 01, 2011 added it
Very good stuff. My biggest complaint is that it makes me thirsty for fantastic American beer that I can't get here in Germany. Bottom line: get out there and drink!
Ryan
May 06, 2010
Andrea
Mar 22, 2009
« previous 1 3 next »
Prior to his Beer Odyssey, Brian Yaeger self-published a music zine for two years, served as editor-in-chief for an underground arts and culture magazine and freelanced for a multitude of print and online magazines.

Brian Yaeger holds a Master in Professional Writing from the University of Southern California and a double bachelor's degree in Religious Studies and Russian from University of Califor