Start by marking “Princess Princess Ever After” as Want to Read:
Princess Princess Ever After

Princess Princess Ever After

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  6,831 ratings  ·  1,448 reviews
"I am no prince!"

When the heroic princess Amira rescues the kind-hearted princess Sadie from her tower prison, neither expects to find a true friend in the bargain. Yet as they adventure across the kingdom, they discover that they bring out the very best in the other person. They'll need to join forces and use all the know-how, kindness, and bravery they have in order to d
Published September 6th 2016 by Oni Press (first published September 1st 2014)

·  6,831 ratings  ·  1,448 reviews

Start your review of Princess Princess Ever After
Cristina Monica
A lesbian fairytale, how refreshing is that?

Not only that, but it’s actually a graphic novel. I can’t even think of another book of this genre for young readers with a lesbian romance that can be bought in a bookstore.

So I’m very glad this book exists, especially since it is empowering, charming, humorous and overall a positive read that will help you get out of your book slump right away.

It’s about two lovely girls—Amira and Sadie—who find each other and help/encourage each other to face their
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
Heckin' CUTE. Like, the absolute sugary sweetest cute you can get.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
This was so sweet 🥺
Silvia
I'M CRYING THIS WAS TOO CUTE

This short webcomic (you can read it here) is about a princess, Sadie, who is locked in a tower and is rescued by another princess, Amira, riding a pink unicorn, and it's just as queer as it sounds.

Amira is not here for heteronormativity and she's learning what it means to be a hero. The adventures she has with Sadie and then later with both Sadie and prince Vladric show her that she still has a few things to learn.

Sadie is not here for fat-shaming, and seeing her fre
Whitney Atkinson
This book was so sweet! Because it was middle grade the plot was somewhat overly simplistic and quick, but I still loved it and wish I'd read it as a kid because it would have inspired so much confidence in me as a young, fat girl. Love love loved all the representation, even though it was very abridged-feeling.
Carmen
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
"I'll protect you, Sadie! I have a sword, a unicorn, and kick-butt hair!" pg. 13

I see what O'Neill is trying to do here, but this book had some problems.

This is children's literature that features lesbians. I've been seeing more of this lately, which I think is good. Mainly this tiny genre consists of stuff like, "What if a princess fell in love with another princess instead of a prince?"

This graphic novel is a bit like Sailor Moon and a lot like Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Sadie is locked in a tow
Kathryn
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing new children's graphic novel especially suited for mighty girls. A princess of color rescues another princess. Love. It. Strong female protagonists and LGBTQA themes. This book is not to be missed.
emma
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to emma by: Silvia
this is an absolutely ADORABLE queer comic for kids and just what I needed to cheer me up today! the link to read it on the author's website is here ❤️💛💚💙💜 ...more
may ➹
me? finishing two gay webcomics in the same day? a power move
Romie
It was ABSOLUTELY adorable !

This teeny tiny book talks about a LOT of important stuff :
* gender equality when Prince Vladric says how much pressure is put on his shoulders because he's a Prince and not a Princess, how people expect things from him ;
* family expectations when Princess Amira explains she had to flee from her kingdom because her parents wanted her to marry a Prince for the sole purpose of connecting her family to another royal family ;
* pressure from society to be perfect when Pri
Hamad
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I stumbled upon this by chance and finished the whole thing in a few minutes.
It was too fluffy, fluffier than I can take!! Not my type of story unfortunately :(
I think younger readers will enjoy it more.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
That was absolutely adorable. I love Katie O'Neill's stories and artwork so much, and this one is no exception. I love that she's creating these beautiful stories full of diverse characters (queer girls, QPOC characters, fat rep, and more) that readers of any age can fall in love with, and I have to say I especially loved Captain Amira and little Oliver. ♥
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
Sadie has been imprisoned in a high tower and she can't even use her hair to escape like Rapunzel. Moreover, every single prince who tried to rescue her failed miserably! Luckily, though, Amira is no prince...

Untitlehd

This beautiful, heart-warming story is a tale of two princesses who fall in love, accepting each other's faults like no one else in their world was able to do before. Sadie, imprisoned in a tower not with bars, but by the very force of her fear and insecurities; Amira, born in a royal famil
Emma
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This little comic is really cute and refreshing. It's also quite funny because it makes fun of some of the classic fairytale stereotypes. It has a lesbian couple at its centre and it's just so good to see how the two main characters define the gender roles and the rules their society thinks they should abide by.
I highly recommend it!
Bee
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was the best thing ever. It's told in the same style as a children's fairytale, the art is ridiculously beautiful, love transcends gender expectations...what's more to love?
jade
May 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: younger lgbtqia+ audiences
Recommended to jade by: my old tumblr feed, once upon a dark internet age
“how does a hero decide who’s worth saving?”

an adorable little comic about two fairy tale princesses who break the mold together.

this experience was a bit like one of those pretty, sugar-spun sculptures. it’s extremely cutesy, looks pretty, and it makes you happy just looking at it -- but then you pop it in your mouth and (1) it’s over in a second and (2) it doesn’t actually have much of a taste.

the set-up of the story is as follows: princess sadie is locked in a tower by an evil sor
love, tappkalina
I can't believe I gave this 2 stars when I first read it! It's not just the cutest thing ever, but deals with serious topics, too.
I feel like I'll give this more stars with every reread until it becomes an all-time favourite.

picture by strangelykatie
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
This was super sweet, soft and cute - a balm for the soul.

A f/f retelling of Rapunzel with two beautiful and wonderful princesses in their own right.
Maddie
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the best kind of fairy tale!
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I freakin’ love the gays
Chelsey
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Pros: Gay! Like, legit gay! Also, awesome hair.
Cons: Reads and looks like a discount Princeless. The art looked like it needed another round of polishing, and the storytelling was choppy, like transitional pages were cut to save space.
jess ✨
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
reading wholesome adorable lgbtq+ graphic novels is all i want in life tbh
Raina
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love that we're filling in the gaps.
There are a few cool queer graphic novels for slightly older than this, there are a few words-only books with similar themes, and this is just a step down in age from some of those books.

It's slight, and stays mostly on the surface, and tells a simple story in an accessible way. Which is what it sets out to do. And it does that in a way I haven't seen before for this age group.
It's not everything for everybody. And that's ok.

So I'm a fan. :)
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I don't know, I see the adorableness but I also feel like this comic is underdeveloped and rushed? It feels a bit like it's still the concept for a graphic novel rather than a fleshed out narrative and rounded characters. I did love the colour palette and the illustrations though, as well as the queer representation appropriate for kids as young as 6-7 and the fat girl and the black girl.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Oct 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This one is so silly that I liked it.
One princess is out there to save another princess held inside a high tower built. Clichè with a twist, eh?
I like the lgbt representation. Totally loved the viewpoint of being a princess not waiting to be saved and actually making things happen by oneself.
And yes, also the view that all princes are not that valiant and out there to save a princess in trouble. They are totally comfortable being themselves and have a life of their own.

I love the disney vibes
Maggie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was really cute... I liked it.
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)
This is a really cute, f/f Rapunzel retelling and I'm so pleased I finally read it. The art style is gorgeous and the plot is simple but enjoyable. There are some really positive, uplifting messages about gender roles, dream jobs, and self-belief. I only wish it had been longer so we could have had more plot and character development!
Mississippi Library Commission
Can we just say how much we loved Amira's kick-butt hair? And Sadie's big heart? The princess stars of Princess, Princess Ever After are all we could ever hope for in the world of princesses: they're strong and loyal and they work hard and do things for themselves. This little comic is perfect for middle grade readers, but adults will love it too. We should know: it traveled all across this library from librarian to librarian, each of us begging to be the next to read it. We all give this girl p ...more
Jovana Autumn
Do you want a badass rebel princess who doesn't really want to be a princess but have adventures while riding her pink unicorn who loves cookies?

How about a chubby princess who is sitting in the tower with her chubby dragon, and she later teaches monsters to dance? And regains her thrown from her evil sister?

And a Prince that doesn't want to be a Prince but a royal advisor?

Oh, Yeah, the former princesses also fall in love.

On top of that, the art style is so cute I want to die.

The only compl
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Um OK, why has it taken me so long to read one of Katie O'Neill's graphic novels?! Somebody better come over and tell me off XD

Seriously, this was a short and sweet but adorable read. A fairy-tale with some very Rapunzel-esque elements. We have Princess Amira who left her kingdom after her family tried to marry her off to a prince and then Princess Sadie who was placed in a tower by her evil sister after the king dies. Both princesses meet and go on an adventure to save the kingdom and overthrow

• Ji-Hye
  • Mooncakes
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Bloom
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Ela, videogames e muito sobre nós
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Garota das Águas
  • Pumpkinheads
Katie O'Neill is an illustrator and graphic novelist from New Zealand. She is the author of Princess Princess Ever After, The Tea Dragon Society, and Aquicorn Cove, all from Oni Press. She mostly makes gentle fantasy stories for younger readers, and is very interested in tea, creatures, things that grow, and the magic of everyday life.

News & Interviews

“Because I am no prince! My name is Princess Amira...And I have a grappling hook.” 5 likes