Start by marking “The Ties That Bind” as Want to Read:

The Ties That Bind

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

Miami art curator Courtney Hamilton and her
Paperback, 1st, 437 pages
Published May 30th 2016 by Penguin Random House Australia (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Ties That Bind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ties That Bind

Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
*4.5 stars
Television producer and journalist Lexi Landsman has turned her hand to writing fiction and her first novel, The Ties That Bind, is an absorbing tale. The Ties That Bind is about sacrifice and the lengths we go to for our children, highlighting how our family connections can be distant at different times of our life, but never beyond repair.

The Ties That Bind is a book set across two different locales, on completely different continents. In Miami i
Dale Harcombe
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning of this novel my emotions were captured and that is always a good thing. The story tells of Courtney, her husband David and their ten year old son Matthew who live in America. The alternate story concerns Jade Taylor who lives in the Australian rural town of Somerset in Victoria. The descriptions of Australia and the olive groves are well done while the account of the bush fire and the devastation left behind leaves you almost feeling you are there.
As expected the two stories
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
The Ties That Bind is an impressive debut novel that opens with a somewhat tormenting prologue in which a mother turns around and can’t find her child. From this point, it segues into the life of Jade Taylor who finds herself, her father and her grandmother facing a bushfire that threatens not only a home and olive grove but their livelihood as well as the memories Jade holds so dear, leading us into the story of Courtney and David Hamilton who find themselves faced with one of the most awful pr ...more
marlin1
Every now and then I'm totally surprised by a book, or author that I had no prior knowledge about. The Ties That Bind is one of those books that may slip under the radar but for me it was totally captivating from the first page.

Beautifully written it tells the story of Jade who in Victoria, Australia is facing one of the most terrifying times of her life. Ferocious bushfires are raging around the hills and her family home and their olive groves are totally decimated. Her father and grandmother e
Kate Forsyth
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I met Lexi Landsman at the Melbourne Jewish Writers Festival, and bought her book there (I always come home from a festival with a suitcase laden with books!) The Ties That Bind Us is her first novel, but I can guarantee it won’t be her last. From the heart-rending opening scene, when a child is stolen from her pram, to the emotional lump-in-the-throat ending, the story unspools swiftly and surely, the pages seemingly turning themselves.

It’s the story of a young mother, Courtney, who discovers
Lucy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd been meaning to read the book for ages & am glad I did. Once I started reading it & got through more than a chapter a night due to exhaustion, I couldn't put it down.
The story is riveting, taking you through ups & downs of life & how lies can destroy lives.
Read it to discover how blood is thicker than water despite the distance.
Annette Chidzey
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable holiday read from a first time author-two parallel story lines that inevitably mesh as each character and her immediate family discover one another and become highly co-dependent to secure the recovery of a very sick child. The account is very readable and though not difficult or overly challenging , you want to keep going to find out what is going to happen next. The narrative switches between fictional Somerset, Victoria, the site of devastating bushfires, at the outset o ...more
Joe Lands
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this moving family drama set in the countryside of Victoria after devastating bushfires. Compelling story and beautifully written.
Mia T
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This moving family drama had me in tears. It is beautifully written and the characters are full of depth. I strongly recommend it for readers who enjoy Jodi Picoult and Lisa Genova books. It was one of those books that I didn't want to end!
Jeannette
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Book Blurb…

The Ties That Bind is an emotionally riveting debut novel about the power of a mother's love and the bonds among family that, though severed, can never be fully broken. On opposite sides of the world, two lives are changed forever. One by the smallest bruise. The other by a devastating bushfire. And both by a shocking secret . . .Miami art curator Courtney Hamilton and her husband David live the perfect life until their ten-year-old son Matthew is diagnosed with leukaemia. He needs a
Janine
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
What a brilliant debut from a new Australian author I had not heard of, but now hope to hear a lot more of.

There are two storylines going on in this book - one about Jade and her father and grandmother who go through the horrifying loss of their home and their Olive plantation in Victoria in a bushfire. The other is about Courtney and David and their son Matthew who live in Miami, USA. They are a happy family until they receive from devastating news about their son.

For quite some time I was puzz
Talking Books
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are multiple points of view in this story. The prologue had my heart picking up the beats somewhat. Both sides of the story have some tragic/devastating moments and a read with its fare share of twists throughout the story.
Review copy received from Random House Publishing via Netgalley for an honest rating
Lynn Shakenovsky
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Couldn't put it down!
Suzanne
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
By the fourth chapter I was speeding past the pages and whole sections of conversations. I have to wonder why some of the chapters are even in the book. I don't understand why people gave it five stars I found it to be a typical romance with a theme that hints at how it will end. Young readers might like this novel but if one is looking for a story with grit don't bother.
Heather
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book from a 'first time writer'.
Lisa
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Last weekend at the Melbourne Jewish Writers Festival, I went to a session featuring debut authors, and became interested in this novel The Ties That Bind because of its subject matter. The chair, Nadine Davidoff, made the point that it traverses a number of themes with ideas bustling for attention but in a really good way. Davidoff is an editor who teaches at the University of Melbourne, and she’s been a commissioning editor at Random House and Black Inc., so she knows what she’s talking about. ...more
Diane Clennar
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story by a debut author. The book is set in Australia and Miami and the movement between the two creates interest from the start. I became completely involved in the parallel stories and felt great empathy for the characters and their particular difficulties, one side with Victorian bushfires and the other with childhood illness. The extensive research on both fronts is apparent and the description and detail the author provides make for an enthralling experience. I couldn' ...more
Therese
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This beautifully written book grabbed at my heart in the first few pages. Each character's story evoked different emotions and memories within me. I got caught out by the potential twists thinking I'd worked then out then was surprised at what they ended up revealing. I shed some tears and welcomed sharing the emotional journey with the characters (who in fact felt more like real people than just imagined people in a book). A very enjoyable, engaging read.
Kim Klamer
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down, I loved reading it and found it captivating from the very beginning. I loved all of the wonderful characters and their incredible stories. I felt like I was living their ordeals with them. My heart was beating at a million miles during the intense bushfire scenes and I actually cried reading Matthew's heartbreaking story.
I am so impressed that this is the first book written by the Author Lexi Landsman.
It is a must read!
Mel Kirsch
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a read! Such a captivating novel that I read it in one sitting. Beautiful writing and such descriptive characters and detail. Was genuinely moved by the story that its hard to believe this was derived from pure imagination - such talent. Cannot wait for books from this author.
Tammy Landsman michelow
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book ! It was beautifully written and it made me want to read through the nights was so hard to put down. An emotional story that had me in tears many times - so beautifully written, it was riveting. It would make a fantastic mini series or movie.
Karen Hurwitz
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down. Great story with a number of twists and turns. Sad I've finished reading it!
Maria Allen
Jul 18, 2016
Natalie Wray
Aug 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Lexi Landsman is an Australian author, journalist and television producer. Her debut novel, The Ties That Bind, published by Penguin Random House, came out in 2016. Her second novel, The Perfect Couple is a psychological suspense thriller set in Florence. It will be released on 28 August 2017.
More about Lexi Landsman