Start by marking “You'll Die in Singapore : The true account of one of the most amazing POW escapes in WWII” as Want to Read:

With sixteen other POWs, author Charles McCormac broke out from his POW camp in Japanese-occupied Singapore and began a two-thousand-mile escape from Singapore, through the jungles of Indonesia to Australia. The POWs's escape took a staggering five months and only two out of the original seventeen men survived. This is McCormac's compelling true account of one of the most ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Monsoon Books (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about You'll Die in Singapore , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You'll Die in Singapore

Michelle
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a fair few WW2 books but none centered in Asia or featuring the Japanese so I was eager to read this memoir and especially because I've been to Singapore and like reading books on places I've visited. Im ashamed to say I thought the war mainly focussed on Europe but I was wrong. This is an interesting read about a British solider captured by the Japanese in Singapore and his escape to Australia. I found this quite an eye opener.
Wenny Wibisono
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an really awesome book that presents bravery and risk of life. This book tells about a group of men who escaped from the prison camp in Singapore and used no map and no compass and escaped from Singapore to Indonesia to Australia.

Based on a true story!

Pamela Huxtable
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in WWII history
Shelves: memoir, wwii
I don't really know much about the Pacific war in WWII. The invasion of Singapore as told in this memoir is a horrific, unprecedented event, bewildering to the Europeans in the city.

McCormac's story is a brutal account of his escape from a POW camp in Singapore and his subsequent trek through Malaysia. He and his companions try to make their way back to the Allies, narrowly avoiding Japanese patrols and troops.

The author and his companions suffer illness, hunger, thirst, and all the dangers th
Stephanie Lin
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book because the author was a prisoner under the Japanese in Singapore and the book explains everything of how he escapes with his friends to Australia and surviving in the jungle with no food and water. The author describes the events that he was in with lots of smilies, metaphors, descriptions etc, how he felt and acted in that situation. The book has diagrams of the escape route he and his friends used to get to Australia with lots of labels to label everywhere he went to. ...more
Marilyn Silva
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very smart guy

Really exciting and amazing how clever and level-headed the guy was. It was also early in the war when the Japanese weren't as careful. He was so astute. A really exciting story
Jo Locke
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of survival under the Japanese WWII

This is a fascinating insight into the Japanese invasion of Singapore and what life under their rule was like in the POW camps. Their escape was brave and brilliant. A very worthwhile read.
Gill Schell
3.8 stars : An amazing account of a POW's escape from Japanese-occupied Singapore, and the hardships he endured over 5 months to reach Australia. I feel that more factual detail about the escape and less literary description would have made this account work better.
Dave Gevaux
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutal and gripping page turner. Shame about the typos.
Jo Tant
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book to read when I wanted to know more about the war in the Pacific during WW2. This is a really good account of a WW2 escape that also happens to be a great story.
Fergus Cruickshank-McSwiney
This book was recommended to me by my dad and I have to say I'm glad I read the book. Once you read this book it is hard to imagine it really happened!

The categories that this book fills on the bing board are:
A male main character as the writer Charles McCormac is also the main character because the book is about his escape from a P.O.W camp.
This book also teaches you about another time in history. It teaches you how the Japanese fought wars, what the P.O.W camps looked like, how they were trea
Lucas Moctezuma
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My father bought me this book, mainly because my grandfather was a civilian internee in a Japanese concentration camp in North Borneo, and he knows that I am particularly interested in this topic because of my family history. My grandfather, like the author, suffered brutalities under the Japanese, and so I could easily connect with this book as I read it.

Charles McCormac's tale of escaping from a Japanese POW camp in Singapore to Australia is a fascinating one, and provides a very gripping read
Rebecca
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written from Charles McCormac's own memories of his amazing escape from a prisoner of war camp in Singapore, and the harrowing march to freedom in Australia, 'You'll Die In Singapore' does paint a bleak picture of the cruelty of war, However, like many accounts of this type, much is lost of the reader because you just cannot imagine that sort of situation to it's full extent. McCormac doesn't help this as his descriptions of the pain, starvation, thirst, and desperation sometimes fall short. Suc ...more
Scott Hayden
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can count on one hand the number of successful escapes from POW camps in Asia during World War 2. The author of this book was one of those men. A combination of sheer willpower, friendly Sumatran and Javanese natives, and a fair amount of luck ensured his escape.

It could have gone the other way. Illness, hunger, thirst, and the fact that Caucasian prisoners couldn't blend in with the native population made recapture more than likely. Being recaptured by the Japanese always resulted in the sa
Scott
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this to completion because it was a great story but it was not great literature. Naturally, the dialog had to be reconstructed from memory, taking place months or years before under extremely harsh conditions. Still, this is how the conversations read; artificial not natural. There were a couple of factual errors. Also irksome were at least 7 typos; I rarely encounter that many in a small book.
Steve Else
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and highly recommend it. It is a great testament to the multi-faceted aspects of humanity, accentuated by crisis. The book is wonderfully narrated and will be unforgettable.

I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone, except perhaps Japanese (since they were the strong and menacing protagonists in this book).

The story represents a great testament to the multi-faceted aspects of humanity, accentuated by crisis.
Thomas Andrikus
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking place in then-occupied Singapore and Indonesia, "You'll Die in Singapore" autobiographical chronicle of an escape involving 17 POWs, mostly Brits and Australians, from a prison camp in Japanese-occupied Singapore during the end of World War 2.

A gripping read, I say. A recommended read for anyone who is familiar with Singapore and Indonesian history in general.
Mike R
WWII RAF officer and Australian escape from Singapore to Malaysia to Sumatra to Java
Mr  C COOK
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Story

A remarkable story of escape .Once started a tale of intrigue from first to last.the highs and lows having to trust unknown people ,with one aim ,Freedom.
Alicia Connally
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!! Love these courageous story's of what people went through in war and what they had to do to stay alive!!
B T Mills
Apr 11, 2016
Rosemary Picksley
May 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • You Are Not Forgotten: The Story of a Lost World War II Pilot and a Twenty-First-Century Soldier's Mission to Bring Him Home
  • Today Everything Changes
  • Holocaust
  • The Longest Kill: The Story of Maverick 41, One of the World's Greatest Snipers
  • To Kingdom Come: An Epic Saga of Survival in the Air War Over Germany
  • 11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944
  • Yasmeena's Choice: A True Story of War, Rape, Courage and Survival
  • Safe Passage
  • Ernie Pyle's War: America's Eyewitness to World War II
  • Low Level Hell: A Scout Pilot In The Big Red One
  • Reach for the Sky
  • A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
  • One Snowy Knight (The Dragons of Challon, #3)
  • Shocking Secrets of American History: 115 Surprising and Amusing Tales
  • Civil War Curiosities: Strange Stories, Oddities, Events, and Coincidences
  • Highland Soldiers 2: The Betrayal
  • Motherland: Beyond the Holocaust: A Mother-Daughter Journey to Reclaim the Past
  • Benang: From the Heart