Start by marking “The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)” as Want to Read:
The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)

The World According to Clarkson

(The World According to Clarkson #1)

Jeremy Clarkson shares his opinions on just about everything in The World According to Clarkson.

Jeremy Clarkson has seen rather more of the world than most. He has, as they say, been around a bit. And as a result, he's got one or two things to tell us about how it all works; and being Jeremy Clarkson he's not about to voice them quietly, humbly and without great dollop
Published May 26th 2005 by Penguin (first published 2004)

Start your review of The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
This is the first audiobook I have listened to in forever because I'm just not an audiobook person. But I wanted something to listen to at work when I got bored with listening to music, and what to listen to at Volvo? Of course The World According to Clarkson. This has taken me a while to listen to, probably a couple of months since I listen to the audiobook sporadically.

The great thing is that every chapter in this book is around 6-7 minutes long and since it's a collection of Jeremy's Sunday T
notgettingenough
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
What’s that? You can’t hear me? Brrrm, brrrmmm. BRMM. Well, I’m living a hundred yards from the first Formula 1 Grand Prix of the season and it’s bloody noisy. I can – vrm vrrrm VROOM – hardly hear you either, so we’re just going to have to pay attention aren’t we? More attention, in fact, than we usually do.

First I want to start with a word from my sponsor, Ferrari, who is paying me to go down the road to write this review over breakfast as they know a writer needs a bowl of porridge and a bit
Vikas
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, hardcover
This book was a collection of around 3 years worth of articles by Jeremy Clarkson for a Newspaper in UK. And many of the articles are from continuous weeks.

Clarkson is a funny guy and it shows in his observations but seeing how the articles were originally written between 2001 and 2003 and I read the book in 2018, it was already quite dated but still fun enough to read and finish.

I liked it but since it's not a book in the traditional sense I could only finish couple of chapters at a time. If y
Audrey
Things Jeremy Clarkson hates: women, lesbians, foreigners and effeminate footballers.
Things Jeremy Clarkson likes: 70s prog rock, travel and Jeremy Clarkson.

The most disjointed and dis-satisfying collection of short essays I've ever read. And I do mean short: at one point Clarkson mentions he's being paid to hit a set word limit, which explains why all the articles end abruptly and in most cases with non-sequiturs.
Simon
One thing should be made clear: Jeremy Clarkson is basically an internet troll in real life, i. e. he's to automotive journalism what the late Seth Putnam was to music. The only difference's a matter of subtlety.

Since it hence follows that finding anything Clarkson says publically to be insightful is more or less the same thing as deriving your political views from the lyrics Seth Putnam wrote for his band Anal Cunt, how does a book entirely consisting of Mr. Clarkson's alleged opinions read?

Not
Jim
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This was not intended as a book, it is a collection of articles written by Jeremy Clarkson for the Sunday Times. I often violently disagree with his viewpoint but he is tremendously entertaining and very funny. We need more commentators like him to stimulate public debate which is all too often stifled by the PC brigade afraid to offend anyone. Jeremy Clarkson doesn't care a hoot what you think, which is refreshing.
Will Ansbacher
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Will by: "a friend"
Lent to me by someone who said it was hilarious. Well, I did crack a smile a couple of times.
Clarkson is that “Top Gear” guy on BBC TV; I watched for a few minutes once then switched him off. Here he is writing a column for the Sunday Times from 2001 to 2003, and these are mild diatribes about, oh, everything you would expect a slightly-right-of-centre guy to rant about if you stood him a pint in the pub.
They are all exactly 3 ½ pages long, so he must have been held to a pretty tight word coun
Gosia Kowalska
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would never thought that I will give this book a 5-star rating. But his humour is so brilliant, that I have to do this absurdity and put him on a shelf with 1984 or Pride and Prejudice. I think he would also laugh at this.
Peter Derk
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
From Top Gear's most entertaining presenter, this book collects a bunch of short pieces Jeremy Clarkson wrote for the paper.

As an Ugly American, or at least an Average-Looking American, I'll say that there are definitely a lot of references I didn't really understand. I don't blame the book for that. I mean, we're talking about London cultural references from 2001. Even the U.S. equivalents probably wouldn't make a ton of sense to people around here. If I compared a politician from 2001 to Limp
Fred
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for The World According to Clarkson. I must say, reading this book took me what felt like a very long time to finish! I was shocked (and slightly disheartened) to find that it was only around 320 pages long (reading it on a Kindle meant I was totally oblivious to the page count). This book is, in a nutshell, a series of entries written by Clarkson which discuss his views on certain aspects of life!

The reason I read this is because I watched the 20th anniversary of Millionaire hosted b
AndrewP
This is collection of Jeremy Clarkson's Sunday Times columns from January 2001 to December 2003. Each one only amounts to about 4 pages in print, so it's very easy (and preferable) to read in small snippets.

Most people seem to enjoy Clarkson on Top Gear, but his writing you either love or hate. It follows that same wise cracking style as on TV, but I found it can get a tad annoying if you read to much at one sitting. In these collected columns I think he manages to insult just about every nation
Akshay Pai
I would say this is an okay book. It does have many humorous and sarcastic incidents or narrations. However, there were way too many things that I was clueless about. Some of that I agree is due to the lack of political/ geographical knowledge about the UK but most of it is because I'm not a native from there.

So, a lot of things that the people from the UK might get, just flew over the head. When I was reading those bits, I would realise that it is meant to be a sarcastic remark at someone or i
CuteBadger
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I couldn't be more different from Jeremy Clarkson - I'm a woman, a feminist (these two don't always go together),a bit of a Leftie, interested in green issues and I can't drive. However, as I'm currently on a mission to read every book in our house before I'm allowed to buy any more, it had to be Jeremy's turn eventually.

The book is a collection of his columns from The Sunday Times from 2001 to 2003. It was published in 2005 which meant that some of the events mentioned were quite a while ago at
Judit
Dec 27, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: fans of Jeremy Clarkson, travelers, fans of British humor
Shelves: 2011
An entertaining and easy read. A selection of articles by Jeremy Clarkson, most of which aren't longer than 3,5 pages and it's topics vary from personal anecdotes, to opinion pieces about everything from wold politics to food, child care, and of course engineering.
It's fast and entertaining, even though it's not up there with the works of Aristotle in terms of depth (neither does it aim to be). I occasionally found myself thinking more deeply about the various problems mentioned. I also found t
Okute Wonah
Hilarious. With a lot of good info in it.
Neri.
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5. It was funny and interesting but this book is more oriented to men than it is to women.
David Catlin
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
A collection of newspaper columns written by Jeremy Clarkson, pulled together to create this book. The trouble is that these are mostly observations and opinions on current affairs nearly twenty years ago, so much of it appears very dated. If I’d read it nearer the time it was published, it may have been worth 4 stars. My fault, sorry Jezza.

It’s interesting from a time-travel point of view though. In one chapter Clarkson is complaining about having to go to pubs to eat, because restaurants that
Kyrie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
It's a collection of his newspaper columns. It's very easy to pick up and put down, and it doesn't matter where you start or stop. It'd be great in a guest room, or on a trip where you expect to be interrupted a great deal. Some are quite funny, some go right over my head as I'm not British and have little idea who or what he's talking about.

I found the statement "I've never hit anyone" in one of his stories to be funny in light of why we know watch Grand Tour instead of Top Gear to see Clarkso
John
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
While Clarkson's writing was as witty and enjoyable as I hoped it would be after watching him on Top Gear for the last decade, I didn't enjoy the book as wholly enjoyable as I had anticipated. The format was better suiting to reading in small bursts rather than as a complete novel. I also found it hard to immerse myself when I know nothing of the goings on of 2001 England and all of the current events he was alluding to. I think if those two factors did not exist, I would have greatly enjoyed th ...more
Bill Conrad
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jeremy Clarkson is a funny guy with a larger than life personality. It seems he has an opinion on everything and each opinion is more outrageous than the last. The World According to Clarkson is a collection of his newspaper rants and it runs the full spectrum. I really liked “We must work harder to get rid of cricket” as I never got why that sport was ever popular. Overall, this is a funny read that you can put down for a year, come back to it and continue to laugh. I think Jeremy makes a good ...more
Sophie Schoy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed The World According to Clarkson. Since the chapters are all really short it was very comfortable to read. As expected from Jeremy a lot of his columns were hilarious but to my great delight some were also thought-provoking.

Because the different columns were written from 2001 to 2003 it was quite interesting to be reminded of what happened at that time. Sometimes I was honestly surprised that certain topics were already discussed back then.

Altogether The World According to Clar
Word Muncher
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
JC says so many things, like shower thoughts, that people really should consider. If not for consideration, then just to hear another view. So far the most profound thing is what he says on the subject of the Queen (no puns). That she has the power to dissolve parliament but has such a strong will, that she doesn't. We could all learn a thing or two from that especially. And turtles. And travelling and teeth and lotteries and Mandela and Germans. Every little bit of a clever view helps when you ...more
Saha
I got aquainted with Jeremy Clarkson via Top Gear so I am more than familiar with his style and sense of humor. Long rants, sarcastic and with a heavy dose of humble truth, all made better by listening to them with his voice in my head as I read through. I am sure I would have enjoyed it much more if I had been following the events and the commentary as they were happening, alas I wasn't even in the UK at the time. Fun read nonetheless.
Tom Van
Oct 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Barely amusing, this compilation of Clarkson columns is perfectly suited for the toilet. No, not to be used as paper, but to be skimmed briefly, eliciting mild snorts, and then to be left alone for quite some time. Since these pieces are written as columns it fails utterly as a book, but that does not mean Clarkson is without wit. That wit, however, is simply best consumed in extremely small doses. In short, don't bother paying money for it.
Danny Theurer
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
If one wants to become a more engaging, enjoyable anything, they need to find the master in their field and learn well. Aspiring authors and journalists need to learn from Jeremy Clarkson. Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know. He's fairly crazy. But even with full knowledge of this, it's nearly impossible to put his books down. It's because he's THAT good.
Beatrix Tung
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gloriously funny. I would have said he's completely underrated as a comedian, but there's the fact that he's running his own comedy show, although he's disguised it as a car programme. I think I have found myself a kindred spirit.
Prakash Yadav
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Years of watching Top Gear has given me a particular liking for Clarkson's humour (or like some may say, the lack of it). It was only imperative that i devour this collection of his wittiest articles to my complete satisfaction. I am yet to conclude whether he hates everyone, or, everything.
Kristi Sawyer
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's interesting to see that the issues we are worried about today were also present 15 years ago in a very similar form. Clearly we don't learn! This collection of Clarkson's columns are frank and funny.
Evan
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Amusing read. Due to the age of the book (and my age), a fair bit was commentary on political happenings at the time, which I just didn't follow. A nice easy read to chip away at over breakfast in the morning.
Ron Mcintyre
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read if you are up for his very direct and sometimes controversial attitudes towards things.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Brung Up Proper
  • Bravo Two Zero
  • America Unchained: A Freewheeling Roadtrip In Search Of Non-Corporate USA
  • Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.

The World According to Clarkson (7 books)
  • And Another Thing (World According To Clarkson, #2)
  • For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3)
  • How Hard Can It Be? (World According to Clarkson, #4)
  • Is It Really Too Much To Ask? (World According to Clarkson, #5)
  • As I Was Saying . . .: The World According to Clarkson Volume 6
  • If You’d Just Let Me Finish (World According to Clarkson)

News & Interviews

“Boredom forces you to ring people you haven’t seen for eighteen years and halfway through the conversation you remember why you left it so long. Boredom means you start to read not only mail-order catalogues but also the advertising inserts that fall on the floor. Boredom gives you half a mind to get a gun and go berserk in the local shopping centre, and you know where this is going. Eventually, boredom means you will take up golf.” 36 likes
“These people go on to tell us that mobile phones will cook our children’s ears, that long-haul flights will fill our legs with thrombosis and that meat is murder. They want an end to all deaths – and it doesn’t stop there. They don’t even see why anyone should have to suffer from a spot of light bruising.
Every week, as we filmed my television chat show, food would be spilt on the floor, and every week the recording would have to be stopped so it could be swept away. ‘What would happen,’ said the man from health and safety, ‘if a cameraman were to slip over?’ ‘Well,’ I would reply, ‘he’d probably have to stand up again.”
18 likes