Start by marking “The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)” as Want to Read:
The World According to Clarkson (World According to Clarkson, #1)

The World According to Clarkson (The World According to Clarkson #1)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  4,767 Ratings  ·  268 Reviews
Jeremy Clarkson shares his opinions on just about everything in The World According to Clarkson.

Jeremy Clarkson has seen rather more of the world than most. He has, as they say, been around a bit. And as a result, he's got one or two things to tell us about how it all works; and being Jeremy Clarkson he's not about to voice them quietly, humbly and without great dollops of
Published May 26th 2005 by Penguin (first published 2004)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
This is the first audiobook I have listened to in forever because I'm just not an audiobook person. But I wanted something to listen to at work when I got bored with listening to music, and what to listen to at Volvo? Of course The World According to Clarkson. This has taken me a while to listen to, probably a couple of months since I listen to the audiobook sporadically.

The great thing is that every chapter in this book is around 6-7 minutes long and since it's a collection of Jeremy's Sunday T
notgettingenough
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
What’s that? You can’t hear me? Brrrm, brrrmmm. BRMM. Well, I’m living a hundred yards from the first Formula 1 Grand Prix of the season and it’s bloody noisy. I can – vrm vrrrm VROOM – hardly hear you either, so we’re just going to have to pay attention aren’t we? More attention, in fact, than we usually do.

First I want to start with a word from my sponsor, Ferrari, who is paying me to go down the road to write this review over breakfast as they know a writer needs a bowl of porridge and a bit
Simon
One thing should be made clear: Jeremy Clarkson is basically an internet troll in real life, i. e. he's to automotive journalism what the late Seth Putnam was to music. The only difference's a matter of subtlety.

Since it hence follows that finding anything Clarkson says publically to be insightful is more or less the same thing as deriving your political views from the lyrics Seth Putnam wrote for his band Anal Cunt, how does a book entirely consisting of Mr. Clarkson's alleged opinions read?

Not
Jim
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This was not intended as a book, it is a collection of articles written by Jeremy Clarkson for the Sunday Times. I often violently disagree with his viewpoint but he is tremendously entertaining and very funny. We need more commentators like him to stimulate public debate which is all too often stifled by the PC brigade afraid to offend anyone. Jeremy Clarkson doesn't care a hoot what you think, which is refreshing.
Yana Tretyakova
Неймовірна для легкого читання книга. Фактично, це збірка статей, які Кларксон щотижнево писав до газети, але як написано! Щирий британський гумор та сердечна стурбованість про долю планети.
Will
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Will by: "a friend"
Lent to me by someone who said it was hilarious. Well, I did crack a smile a couple of times.
Clarkson is that “Top Gear” guy on BBC TV; I watched for a few minutes once then switched him off. Here he is writing a column for the Sunday Times from 2001 to 2003, and these are mild diatribes about, oh, everything you would expect a slightly-right-of-centre guy to rant about if you stood him a pint in the pub.
They are all exactly 3 pages long, so he must have been held to a pretty tight word count
Audrey
Things Jeremy Clarkson hates: women, lesbians, foreigners and effeminate footballers.
Things Jeremy Clarkson likes: 70s prog rock, travel and Jeremy Clarkson.

The most disjointed and dis-satisfying collection of short essays I've ever read. And I do mean short: at one point Clarkson mentions he's being paid to hit a set word limit, which explains why all the articles end abruptly and in most cases with non-sequiturs.
Gosia Kowalska
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would never thought that I will give this book a 5-star rating. But his humour is so brilliant, that I have to do this absurdity and put him on a shelf with 1984 or Pride and Prejudice. I think he would also laugh at this.
Vikas
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book was a collection of around 3 years worth of articles by Jeremy Clarkson for a Newspaper in UK. And many of the articles are from continuous weeks.

Clarkson is a funny guy and it shows in his observations but seeing how the articles were originally written between 2001 and 2003 and I read the book in 2018, it was already quite dated but still fun enough to read and finish.

I liked it but since it's not a book in the traditional sense I could only finish couple of chapters at a time. If y
Peter Derk
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
From Top Gear's most entertaining presenter, this book collects a bunch of short pieces Jeremy Clarkson wrote for the paper.

As an Ugly American, or at least an Average-Looking American, I'll say that there are definitely a lot of references I didn't really understand. I don't blame the book for that. I mean, we're talking about London cultural references from 2001. Even the U.S. equivalents probably wouldn't make a ton of sense to people around here. If I compared a politician from 2001 to Limp
Fred
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars for The World According to Clarkson. I must say, reading this book took me what felt like a very long time to finish! I was shocked (and slightly disheartened) to find that it was only around 320 pages long (reading it on a Kindle meant I was totally oblivious to the page count). This book is, in a nutshell, a series of entries written by Clarkson which discuss his views on certain aspects of life!

The reason I read this is because I watched the 20th anniversary of Millionaire hosted b
Meteori
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Posao kolumniste je da pronađe sve što ne valja", napisao je g. Klarkson u ovoj knjizi.

Možda je istu najbolje posmatrati kao duhovito štivo jer on toliko kritički piše o svemu da to čak djeluje brutalno. A najviše voli da kritikuje Amerikance i Vladu svoje zemlje. Dakle, po njemu ne valja gotovo ništa.

A kako kritikuje "svoje" tako isto radi i sa drugima. Nije bitno iz kojeg dijela svijeta dolaze.

Da zaključim, posmatrajte knjigu kao komediju (koja po meni to nije).

P.S.
Jedina smiješna stvar u k
Anastasia Solomakha
я це зробила - дійшла до фінішу! Занадто багато непотрібних деталей, фактів, персонажів, відсутність сюжетної лінії (так, знаю, що тут її і не повинно бути, так як це просто підбірка статей з колонки Кларксона), але все ж..."вона може читати щось хоч би й рік, мені ж до вподоби книжки, які стають для мене важливішими за саме життя." Власне, для мене теж. Тому "його світ довкола" мав всі шанси залежатись на полиці недочитаних книжок на рік, а то й довге..але щось таки перемогло, гумор напевно)
AndrewP
This is collection of Jeremy Clarkson's Sunday Times columns from January 2001 to December 2003. Each one only amounts to about 4 pages in print, so it's very easy (and preferable) to read in small snippets.

Most people seem to enjoy Clarkson on Top Gear, but his writing you either love or hate. It follows that same wise cracking style as on TV, but I found it can get a tad annoying if you read to much at one sitting. In these collected columns I think he manages to insult just about every nation
Akshay Pai
I would say this is an okay book. It does have many humorous and sarcastic incidents or narrations. However, there were way too many things that I was clueless about. Some of that I agree is due to the lack of political/ geographical knowledge about the UK but most of it is because I'm not a native from there.

So, a lot of things that the people from the UK might get, just flew over the head. When I was reading those bits, I would realise that it is meant to be a sarcastic remark at someone or i
Ана Хелс
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
За човек като мен, който различава колите като черни и цветни, не отбира много каква част от онова кръглото се състои от джанти, кое – от гуми , и все му е тая колко вдига нещо си, и колко магарета може да подкара по сунгурларско нанадолнище , Топ Гиър би трябвало да ми звучи като разговор за ядрена физика, антропоморфна психология и висша математика от осми порядък в едно. Но ако нърдовете бяха такива изроди като Кларксън и компания – очевидно щяхме да сме малко по-богати общокултурно същества. ...more
Zane Eglīte
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those, who like to think about thinking.
Grāmata, ko lasīju ir sarakstīta angļu valodā, un tas nosaukums „The World According To Clarkson” varētu tikt tulkots kā „Pasaule balstoties uz Klarksonu”. Grāmatas nosaukums jau ietver autora uzvārdu un grāmatu ir sarakstījis Džeremijs Klarksons (Jeremy Clarkson). Daudziem cilvēkiem šis rakstnieks ir vairāk pazīstams kā viens populārā auto raidījuma „Top Gear” vadītājiem. Pēc profesijas Klarksons ir žurnālists un papildus savam darbam televīzijā viņš raksta gan grāmatas, gan slejas tādās plaši ...more
CuteBadger
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
I couldn't be more different from Jeremy Clarkson - I'm a woman, a feminist (these two don't always go together),a bit of a Leftie, interested in green issues and I can't drive. However, as I'm currently on a mission to read every book in our house before I'm allowed to buy any more, it had to be Jeremy's turn eventually.

The book is a collection of his columns from The Sunday Times from 2001 to 2003. It was published in 2005 which meant that some of the events mentioned were quite a while ago at
Kovacs Judit
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Jeremy Clarkson, travelers, fans of British humor
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
An entertaining and easy read. A selection of articles by Jeremy Clarkson, most of which aren't longer than 3,5 pages and it's topics vary from personal anecdotes, to opinion pieces about everything from wold politics to food, child care, and of course engineering.
It's a fast and thoroughly entertaining read, that even though it's not up there with the works of Aristotle in terms of depth (neither does it aim to be) I occasionally found myself thinking more deeply about the various problems men
Okute Wonah
Hilarious. With a lot of good info in it.
Neri.
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5. It was funny and interesting but this book is more oriented to men than it is to women.
Marta Kuzmiak
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Загалом книга мені сподобалась. Джеремі має прекрасний саркастичний англійський гумор, і почитати кілька статей перед сном іноді було приємно після важкого робочого дня. Він зачіпає ті теми, які його хвилюють найбільше (Євросоюз, США, неспроможність Великобританії у певних ситуаціях, його сад, його діти і дружина, Різдво, освіта, домашні тварини, подорожі, закриття літаків Конкорд, війна в Іраку і багато іншого...)
Багато чого я дізналась для себе нового, наприклад про англійські містечка чи визн
Kyrie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
It's a collection of his newspaper columns. It's very easy to pick up and put down, and it doesn't matter where you start or stop. It'd be great in a guest room, or on a trip where you expect to be interrupted a great deal. Some are quite funny, some go right over my head as I'm not British and have little idea who or what he's talking about.

I found the statement "I've never hit anyone" in one of his stories to be funny in light of why we know watch Grand Tour instead of Top Gear to see Clarkso
Bill Conrad
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jeremy Clarkson is a funny guy with a larger than life personality. It seems he has an opinion on everything and each opinion is more outrageous than the last. The World According to Clarkson is a collection of his newspaper rants and it runs the full spectrum. I really liked “We must work harder to get rid of cricket” as I never got why that sport was ever popular. Overall, this is a funny read that you can put down for a year, come back to it and continue to laugh. I think Jeremy makes a good ...more
John Wyatt
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
While Clarkson's writing was as witty and enjoyable as I hoped it would be after watching him on Top Gear for the last decade, I didn't enjoy the book as wholly enjoyable as I had anticipated. The format was better suiting to reading in small bursts rather than as a complete novel. I also found it hard to immerse myself when I know nothing of the goings on of 2001 England and all of the current events he was alluding to. I think if those two factors did not exist, I would have greatly enjoyed th ...more
Alla Komarova
Если бы в те годы был Facebook, то он писал это все постами, и вот уже они разлетались бы на перепосты, как горячий бульончик в морозную погоду. Кларксон пишет обо всем – о выходных, о машинах, о протестах, о других нациях. Ни одна тема не обходит его, про каждую он может что-то сказать. Настоящий британский юмор и ирония сопровождает каждую заметку, не давая ей скатиться в откровенное брюзжание. Скажем «спасибо» автору. А вот за великолепный украинский стоит поблагодарить переводчика Андрея Мас ...more
Tetiana
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Мене не переставало переслідувати відчуття, що з книжки зі мною говорить такий собі "доктор хаус" зі всією його цинічністю, пихатістю, але блискавичним і тонким почуттям гумору, у тому числі - іронією щодо себе. Так, книжка зачіпить за живе і розлютить багатьох. Але я після неї почала якось більше розуміти природу англійців - аж надто в контексті останніх політичних подій.
Prakash Yadav
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Years of watching Top Gear has given me a particular liking for Clarkson's humour (or like some may say, the lack of it). It was only imperative that i devour this collection of his wittiest articles to my complete satisfaction. I am yet to conclude whether he hates everyone, or, everything.
Beatrix Tung
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gloriously funny. I would have said he's completely underrated as a comedian, but there's the fact that he's running his own comedy show, although he's disguised it as a car programme. I think I have found myself a kindred spirit.
Vivek
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Downright hilarious, if "Top-Gear" humour is your thing.
  • Notes from the Hard Shoulder
  • Or Is That Just Me?
  • Winning Is Not Enough
  • Advanced Banter: The QI Book of Quotations
  • Billy
  • Feel: Robbie Williams
  • Rio Anaconda
  • Screen Burn
  • Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains
  • Murphy's Law
  • This Is Not A Drill: Just Another Glorious Day In The Oilfield
  • Monty Python Speaks!
  • The Joy of Work: Dilbert's Guide to Finding Happiness at the Expense of Your Co-Workers
  • New Europe
  • The Gospel According to Chris Moyles: The Story of a Man and His Mouth
  • Zrób sobie raj
Jeremy Charles Robert Clarkson (born April 11, 1960) is an English broadcaster and writer who specialises in motoring.

He writes weekly columns for The Sunday Times and The Sun, but is better known for his role on the BBC television programme Top Gear.

From a career as a local journalist in the north of England, he rose to public prominence as a presenter of the original format of Top Gear in 1988.
More about Jeremy Clarkson

The World According to Clarkson (6 books)
  • And Another Thing (World According To Clarkson, #2)
  • For Crying Out Loud! (World According to Clarkson, #3)
  • How Hard Can It Be? (World According to Clarkson, #4)
  • Is It Really Too Much To Ask? (World According to Clarkson, #5)
  • As I Was Saying . . .: The World According to Clarkson Volume 6

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division
    $13.99 $1.99
“Boredom forces you to ring people you haven’t seen for eighteen years and halfway through the conversation you remember why you left it so long. Boredom means you start to read not only mail-order catalogues but also the advertising inserts that fall on the floor. Boredom gives you half a mind to get a gun and go berserk in the local shopping centre, and you know where this is going. Eventually, boredom means you will take up golf.” 35 likes
“These people go on to tell us that mobile phones will cook our children’s ears, that long-haul flights will fill our legs with thrombosis and that meat is murder. They want an end to all deaths – and it doesn’t stop there. They don’t even see why anyone should have to suffer from a spot of light bruising.
Every week, as we filmed my television chat show, food would be spilt on the floor, and every week the recording would have to be stopped so it could be swept away. ‘What would happen,’ said the man from health and safety, ‘if a cameraman were to slip over?’ ‘Well,’ I would reply, ‘he’d probably have to stand up again.”
20 likes