Start by marking “Sam Sorts” as Want to Read:
Sam Sorts

Sam Sorts

Marthe Jocelyn is back with another clever concept book to follow Hannah's Collections, Ones and Twos and Where Do You Look? This time, she tackles counting and categories.

Sam's things are in a heap. Time to tidy up! He starts to organize his things, but quickly runs into trouble. He can make a pile of black and white things. But the penguin also belongs in the things with wings pile. H
Published February 14th 2017 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Sam Sorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sam Sorts

Sandra
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sam's bedroom is a complete mess. It is time to clean it up. Sam begins to sort all his stuff to put it away, and he discovers there are so many ways of sorting things! Like in many other sorting books Sam sorts by shape, color, type and function. But what I loved about this book is that Sam dares to go beyond and he sorts his stuff in original and creative ways: things that come in pairs, things whose names rhyme, things with dots, holes, stripes or checks, soft, bumpy, fuzzy, noisy, pointy, sm ...more
Lizzie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This books make me want to sort the world into a billion lil piles. A fun read a like for the I Spy fanatic in your life.
Beverly
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pbf-concepts
Various ways of sorting things: by color, by shape, by texture, etc.
Kira Dickson
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Copyright: 2017
Number of Pages: UNKNOWN
Book Format: Hardcover
Reading Level: Ages 3-7
Genre: concept book
Lit Requirement: Concept #2

Summary:
Sam need to clean up and so he sorts through his toys and other objects. He sorts by color, attributes and other categories. This book helps with the concept of sorting objects out and grouping with other objects like them.

Response:
I liked this book and the pictures are beautiful too. I liked th
Donna Mork
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book with lots of drawings. Lots of pages for counting things and sorting things by type, color, size, rhyme, etc.
Mary Anne
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sam's things are in a heap. In attempting to straighten things out he discovers how they are the same, how they are different and all the different ways of thinking about things.
Tasha
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All of Sam’s toys are in a heap on his floor. It’s time for him to clean up. He finds one unique toy, then two dinosaurs, and counts upwards. But there are other ways to sort toys into categories. Maybe by what they are made from or their shape. And then there are the toys that fall into both categories. Some of them rhyme with each other. Others have the same pattern on them. They can be every color in the rainbow or have qualities that make them similar like being fuzzy or smelly. Some float. ...more
Amy
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
A good book for teaching the concepts of sorting and categories, with some creative and imaginative ways of grouping items, this book would be most useful in a classroom setting. I appreciate the book's utility, and the artwork is cool, but there is no real story beyond Sam sorting his 100 things in various ways. Not exactly compelling.
Tracey
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
diverse picture book (ages 3-5+, counting/sorting).
* Book prominently features diverse characters: yep, Sam (the only character in the story) looks to be a brown-skinned kid of ambiguous background.

However:
* Not really that great for preschool storytime: this is really more of a one-on-one book; the text asks the readers to take a close look at each spread, and that's really not going to work well for a large crowd. The content is OK for the 3-5+ year set, but it really n
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Sam's belongings are in a pile in the middle of his room. He has to tidy up but he keeps getting distracted. Sam discovers patterns and things in common - by color, by size, by type, etc. No matter what though, Obo the robot is the best. I really liked the concept - great for teaching adjectives, patterns, and the idea of classifying things. The collage-like illustrations gave the items the sense of texture and makes the items more real and emphasizes the uniqueness of each item. As a library pa ...more
Kate Puleo Unger
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this book! It would have been perfect for me when Christopher was younger. In this story Sam is trying to clean up his room, but he keeps getting distracted by counting and sorting all of his toys. He sorts by color, by shape, by pairs, by material, by feel, etc. There is so much to teach children with this book. And there is even a venn diagram. It is so much fun!

This book is a perfect read aloud for children ages 3-5. But be careful, this is a not a quick read. You could eas
Becky
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
First sentence: Sam's things are in a heap. Time to tidy up.

Premise/plot: While trying to tidy up, Sam keeps getting distracted by 'having' to sort things. He doesn't "have" to sort things, he wants to sort things. He's fascinating by sorting. Each spread has Sam's things sorted in a different, particular way.

My thoughts: I know people who like to sort. I'm not really one of them! So this book didn't quite click for me personally. The part I could relate to best is when his sorting
Lynn  Davidson
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Library Thing in exchange for my honest review.

This book is busy. For children who can follow along well it is a great way to learn counting and sorting. For a child for whom so much going on is hard to grasp it may be difficult.

Sam is a little boy whose room is a mess, as is often the case for young children when they have a lot of toys. He sets out to put things right. He sorts by colour, by category, and other ways that he thinks of.

It is a good book to
Lynn
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Here's a clever concept book that takes the idea of categories to a whole new level. " Sam's things are in a heap. Time to tidy up."

Tidy up he does in wonderfully inventive ways. Not only is this a book to sit and explore but it invites kids to join in with their own contributions. I love Jocelyn's collage illustrations and page design. Sam is a ruffle-haired delight whose room ends up back where it started.

Terrific book for a classroom and for repeated reading.
Monica
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, stem
Sam sorts was fun, and introduces a number of STEM concepts that I think could really be elaborated on by caregivers. I feel this title might encourage talking with a caregiver about concepts, but it is not demonstrated on the pages and that the inferred play isn't enough to put it in the play category for CLEL Bell.
Barbara
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Do you have a child who likes to sort? Here's a book that is sure to create some fun. Sam has a heap of toys he needs to clean up and he sorts them into all kinds of categories! I think this would be a great book to pull out on those days when kids say, "I'm bored! There's nothing to do!" Make your own fun with your own stuff. Read Sam Sorts by Marthe Jocelyn.
Barbra
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Young readers will count along with Sam as he sorts through a pile of his favorite things. Bright illustrations will have children counting, and searching along with him for their favorite items. A wonderful book for ages three to seven to promote reading and math in a fun way.
Jade
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is the most gorgeous, inventive, enjoyable counting and sorting book I have seen. Grab it if your little one wants to have a fun time practicing those skills in different creative ways and with lovely paper collage illustrations!
Peacegal
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Appealing mixed-media illustrations encourage kids to count and introduce concepts of sorting. Kids who like the junior versions of the I SPY books will enjoy this one.
(Although I do hope those animal tails in Sam's collection aren't real!)
Ursula Shelton
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Very entertaining child book that is all about sorting and counting. Shared it with a few kids after work today and we all laughed and had fun. I would definitely recommend to family and friends. thank you
East Gwillimbury
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great book about tidying up your room. Sam sorts everything into piles and then arranges all his toys in their place on his book shelf. By sorting his toys, time flies and the job is done. What a great way to demonstrate how to sort articles.
Wyldrabbit
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always recommend anything by Marthe Jocelyn. This is a excellent book for teaching children the concepts of Categories and Sorting, by color,design and more.
Jessica ☕
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, kids-storybooks
Review to follow closer to publication.

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Rebecca Ann
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful "sorting' book for K-2nd graders (or some precocious preschooler) that will help them recognize patterns. The artwork is unique and busy.
Diane
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book to share with students. It would be a great launch for a lesson on compare/contrast, "sets" in math, categorizing, etc.
Alyssa Gudenburr
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for introducing the math/science skill of sorting items into categories. Would be better for one-on-one reading due to complexity of the pictures showing how the items were sorted.
Tara
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy counting book with lots to look at.
Debbie Tanner
This cute little picture book is going to be great for my littlest students who talk about classification right at the beginning of the school year.
Jocelyn Brame
An interesting concept book, but the amount of different concepts may be overwhelming and therefore unhelpful to the child reader. The collage illustrations are engaging.
Michelle
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Great for a one on one lap read. I think the kids will really like poring over all the images and spending a lot of time on each page.