Start by marking “Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life” as Want to Read:
Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life

Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  13,932 ratings  ·  1,869 reviews
Many of us go through the day feeling like we don't have time for God. But God can become present to us in surprising ways through our everyday routines. Framed around one ordinary day, this book explores daily life through the lens of liturgy, small practices and habits that form us. Each chapter looks at something making the bed, brushing her teeth, losing her keys that ...more
Published November 1st 2016 by InterVarsity Press

·  13,932 ratings  ·  1,869 reviews

Start your review of Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
Katelyn Beaty
My formal endorsement:

If Christianity is to retain its witness in our frenetic and fragmented age, it must take root not only in the thoughts and emotions but also in the daily lives and even bodies of those who call Christ Lord. Tish Harrison Warren has beautifully 'enfleshed' the concepts and doctrines of our faith into quotidian moments, showing how every hour of each day can become an occasion of grace and renewal. If you want to know how faith matters amid messy kitchens, unfinished manusc
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Unusual and profound and UNUSUAL! I am gonna have to reread it after I internalize some of the messages I already got from here.
I really really really loved the approach to routines of our lives. Extremely reasonable. Way more reasonable than I've ever managed to think about it.
Paula Vince
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was just what I needed.

I love its emphasis on rhythms, routines, cycles, rituals, or whatever else we like to call those things we repeat over and over again. Our lives are full of daily, monthly, seasonal and annual repetition. Tish Harrison Warren sets out to explain how there's holiness and dignity in what we easily dismiss as mundane and tedious.

It's structured in the form of a random, typical day from her calendar, beginning with waking up and ending with going to sleep again. She
Darla
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
A profound reminder that we live our whole lives "coram deo." Our Creator is not absent or delinquent, but maintains His control over every molecule. I savored this book, reading one chapter each day as well as pondering the discussion questions and suggestions for application. My daily life is forever changed. Thank you Tish Harrison Warren, for helping me to reorient my days around the rhythms of worship and reminding me that my whole life should be worship. Highly recommended!

If you love this
Cindy Rollins
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on the place of liturgy and its meaning in our everyday lives.
Matthew Manchester
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is a reason this book was awarded Christianity Today's "2018 Book of the Year Winner - Spiritual Formation" AND "2018 Book of the Year Winner - Beautiful Orthodoxy".

It's because it's that good.

SUMMARY

I want to talk about two things regarding this book:

1. This is a book that shows how our ordinary, daily activities (brushing teeth, sleeping, etc) are God-ordained ways to worship Him. The author will structure this by exploring the relationship between (a normal Anglican) liturgy and d
ladydusk
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Own.

There were valuable ideas to be mined in this book. Things like dealing with our digital world rightly, ordering our physical devotional life, thinking about routine and habit. I really enjoyed the first 5 chapters.

Warren lost me, to some extent, in her chapter about food. I started to find nuances in her thinking that were overly burdensome, in my opinion. Being thoughtful about details is good, but not everyone can think about canned food or the sources of food in this way. Not everyone ca
Bob
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Summary: Walking through the common events of an ordinary day from waking to sleeping, Warren explores how we encounter in these ordinary things the Christ we worship each Sunday.

I work with people in a university context who struggle to connect the Christ they worship each week with the seemingly ordinary, and often repetitive tasks that make up their days--answering emails, running experiments, attending committee meetings, preparing lectures, holding office hours, and grading papers or exams.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tish Harrison Warren takes a close look at the liturgy as it stands in traditional Christian churches and then highlights elements of our ordinary lives that serve as daily sacred liturgy.

Doesn't that sound fabulous? It is.

All you will have to do is look at the table of contents and you will want to read this marvelous book.

1. Waking: Baptism and Learning to Be Beloved
2. Making the Bed: Liturgy, Ritual, and What Forms a Life
3. Brushing Teeth: Standing, Kneeling, Bowing, and Living in a Body
4. Lo
Kelly
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
An attempt to look at how our daily rhythms and routines can inform our faith and worship. Easy read without much Scriptural support for the author’s ideas, but several chapters still provided me with interesting takeaways, especially for the stage of life I’m in as a mother of a young child. Ch. 2 establishing Biblical routines and rituals, ch. 4 on learning how to confess and repent in the day-to-day frustrations or interruptions, ch. 10 on learning to appreciate beauty in small things, and ch ...more
Jim
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
I work in a non-denominational church that’s part of a movement that is famously anti-liturgy. We take communion every week and that’s about it. Our services are very laid back and informal. So it’s good for me to read books by Anglicans and Presbyterians and get a feel for the other side of the coin. Christian liturgical practices have been an important part of the church since the beginning, and it can be a blind spot for me.

Warren is a great writer and a great Bible teacher. I’ve read a lot o
Cara Meredith
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could not get enough of this book. My inner Anglican appreciates her belief system made real through her words - but my favorite were the little nuggets of goodness found in various phrases. Such a fan.
Faye
Mar 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The author gives you lot of ordinary things to think about with a spiritual context. The book is well written with cute, witty humor and leaves you with a new perspective on your everyday experiences.
Heather Goodman
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of essays and books, heard numerous sermons on the ordinary, everyday Christian life. This is the book I wish I'd written (though, obviously, Warren did a much lovelier job with it than I would have). Warren knits the "radical" lives and "ordinary" lives (we might even say, aspects of our single lives, or perhaps our single life together as the Church) in a way that makes me believe she could draw together Republicans and Democrats. This book is personal, personable, and still th ...more
Matthew
Jan 26, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the ways I have errored in my Christian walk is at times being more drawn to the extravagant, experiential, ‘highs’ of the Christian life as a way to measure ‘progress’. Yet, the majority of life is the routine, the mundane, the small, the ordinary, the habits cultivated over time.
Warren does a fantastic job of helping readers gain a new perspective on those seemingly mundane everyday moments to show how God is present in and could redeem your ordinary actions.
Highly recommend this refres
Bambi Moore
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-of-2018
Borrowed this from the library. I knew I would have big theological differences with the author, but still thought I would enjoy it more than I did.

This book asks what our daily work and the mundane parts of life have to do with the worship of God. In my opinion this has been answered better and in a style/tone I prefer, by other authors and teachers.
Lauren Mueller
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful & practical exploration of everyday holy moments- I want to lend my copy to everyone I know!
David
I am always looking for books I can recommend to my friends who do not read too much. As much as I enjoy diving into a work by someone like David Bentley Hart or Alasdair MacIntyre, I know my normal Christian friends couldn't care less. But this book by Tish Harrison Warren, I think any and every Christian I know could devour it. It is about, as the title says, everyday life. It is not a book of "radical" faith that purports to teach you how to save the world, gives you an emotional high and the ...more
Mandi Ehman
Update 12/21: This is my fourth time reading this book, and after a 2.5 year break, it was exactly what I needed to reorient myself to the liturgy of the ordinary. Warren’s words continue to impact me in profound ways!

ETA: I listened to this twice through and then read it a third time, highlighting passages and journaling as I went. This is a book I will refer back to again and again.

I can’t think of another time when I finished a book and immediately started it again, but that’s exactly what I
Jenna Rose White
Aug 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tribute to all that has become mundane. Tish Harrison Warren makes the case that that is life- you try to bring order only for it to become disordered again, you eat but you're hungry in a few hours, you have a mountain top experience with God only to wake up the next day and wonder where He went. But these monotonous rituals are infused with the Holy Spirit whether we take time to realize it or not. She does a beautiful job shedding light on this and assigning meaning to, not big, w ...more
Andrei Rad
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Some years ago I was impressed by the idea that in the Christian life there is no difference between the sacred and the profane. Christians are not dualists in this sense. The dualist cosmology is part of the Manichean religion. Likewise, the distinction between profane and sacred rituals, actions and professions, is pagan, not Christian. However, it seems to me many Christians actually believe in this stubborn (heresy?) distinction between the holy time (e.g. the time you spend in a church buil ...more
Jacob London
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
There is some fortune cookie wisdom found in the pages of this book. For example; make your bed each morning as a reminder to consecrate the day in prayer in worship, having a tea and time to relax each day is important for our spiritual vitality, sleep is a gift from God, etc,. I am thankful for these reminders but there were some glaring errors in this book.

First, any book that is going to address the spirituality of our day-to-day life is going to have the tendency to elevate the common to t
Conor
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough good things about what Tish Warren has written here. Funny enough, enjoying this book for its beauty was a good spiritual exercise for someone as pragmatic and anxious as me (she explores the God-given enjoyment of pleasure in a great chapter). She elegantly and with brevity distills great theological insight into the daily spiritual formation of followers of Christ. From waking to being stuck in traffic, from talking with friends on the phone to relinquishing ourselves into ...more
Trace
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a comfort to read. Life is in the overlooked moments and in our daily routines.... these times ARE sacred.... the author offers a lovely look at how we can embrace the sacred in these everyday, ordinary moments of our daily lives. Just lovely.
Emily Santen
Jul 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"How I spend this ordinary day in Christ is how I will spend my Christian life."

From start to finish, I loved everything about this book. It walks through an ordinary, average day-- from waking to eating to driving to emails to sleep-- and looks at how each of these seemingly insignificant moments can point us back to God. As someone who can struggle to see God in the day-to-day, it gave me a lens to see how our Creator has woven his character and story into the patterns (or liturgies) of our li
Rachel Harp
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
By breaking down the quiet, repetitive, and ordinary, Warren teaches us that “it’s in the dailiness of the Christian life that God’s transformation takes root and grows.” This book both reoriented and prompted me to slow down, so I can “bravely enter a dull Tuesday morning, believing that in these small moments God meets us and brings meaning to our average day.”
Kelsey Crandall
Sep 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Read this with a book club so it was slow going, but I think it worked out better that way. THW has a real grip on the beauty and profundity of ordinary things, and this book has certainly aided me in slowing down to ponder and worship God in small, every day moments. The discussion questions in the back were also really great to talk through!
Kelley
Feb 14, 2020 added it
The last chapter was my favorite. It was also a helpful overview of Anglican practices, although I think Christians of many stripes would appreciate this book.
Katrina Swartzentruber
Sep 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This book challenged me so much…Tish has such a real and relatable writing style and so artistically shows Christ in so many areas of life. I deeply appreciated her perspective from the Anglican tradition and her strong view of community
Camille Hanna
Feb 18, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Buy this book for you and for everyone you love and everyone you don’t love!!!!

• The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Live No Lies: Recognize and Resist the Three Enemies That Sabotage Your Peace
  • You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Garden City: Work, Rest, and the Art of Being Human.
  • I Guess I Haven't Learned That Yet: Discovering New Ways of Living When the Old Ways Stop Working
  • The Making of Biblical Womanhood: How the Subjugation of Women Became Gospel Truth
  • Every Moment Holy
  • Habits of the Household: Practicing the Story of God in Everyday Family Rhythms
  • The Deeply Formed Life: Five Transformative Values to Root Us in the Way of Jesus
  • The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
  • Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Holier Than Thou: How God’s Holiness Helps Us Trust Him
  • Reading While Black: African American Biblical Interpretation as an Exercise in Hope
  • Good and Beautiful and Kind: Becoming Whole in a Fractured World
See top shelves…
Tish Harrison Warren is a priest in the Anglican Church in North America. After eight years with InterVarsity Graduate and Faculty Ministries at Vanderbilt and The University of Texas at Austin, she now serves as co-associate rector at Church of the Ascension in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She writes regularly for The Well, CT Women (formerly her.meneutics), and Christianity Today. Her work has also ...more

News & Interviews

The winter holiday season tends to be a busy one in the romance aisle. To assist you in finding your next hot read to warm up a cold night,...
“Everyone wants a revolution. No one wants to do the dishes.” 35 likes
“Similarly, when we denigrate our bodies—whether through neglect or staring at our faces and counting up our flaws—we are belittling a sacred site, a worship space more wonderous than the most glorious, ancient cathedral. We are standing before the Grand Canyon or the Sistine Chapel and rolling our eyes.” 18 likes