Start by marking “A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)

A Perilous Undertaking

(Veronica Speedwell #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  11,672 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews
London, 1887. At the Curiosity Club, a ladies-only establishment for daring and intrepid women, Victorian adventuress Veronica Speedwell meets the mysterious Lady Sundridge, who begs her to take on an impossible task--saving society art patron Miles Ramsforth from execution. Ramsforth, accused of the brutal murder of his mistress, Artemisia, will face the hangman's noose i ...more
Published January 10th 2017 by Berkley Books

·  11,672 ratings  ·  1,428 reviews

Start your review of A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2)
Ella
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017, 5-stars
JUST KISS GODDAMMIT!!
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
I'm kicking myself for not giving this series a chance sooner. No really, I'm not a huge reader of historical fiction, but the fact that Deanna Raybourn has effortlessly blended aspects of the Victorian era with humor that transcends any decade has me completely hooked. She has flawlessly created the most excellent of flawed characters and I cannot get enough of Stoker and Veronica. If you haven't read the first book in the series, A Curious Beginning yet, I would highly recommend beginning ther ...more
Adina
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
“When I most had need of you, you did not leave me. Whatever this thing is that makes us different, this thing that makes quicksilver of us when the rest of the world is mud, it binds us. To break that would be to fly in the face of nature.”

I had fun reading this 2nd volume from Veronica Speedwell series despite its several plot flaws and over the top characters and situations.

Veronica is a Victorian adventuress, a lapidopterist and an amateur murder investigator. Together with natural history
Robin (Bridge Four)
Or my title A lepidopterist and taxidermist and the case of the dirty sex club

Historical Detective stories aren’t my normal reading but I ran into Veronica Speedwell last year and found her scientific examination of the world fascinating and funny at times. Plus there was Stoker a very broody and broken man reminiscent of Pirate with eye patch and tattoos, a cast out of friendly society after his adventures abroad. The two of them together teamed up for a fun adventure in a Curious Beginning.

The
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This series is so much fun! I absolutely love Veronica and Stoker. I think the sequel was a bit better than the first book and I enjoyed the plot more. I sincerely look forward to reading the next book.

I think part of the excitement of reading this series is that I very randomly found it based on the cover and decided to read it. I didn't even read a synopsis before starting the first one. It reminds me of the days when I would wander the library and B&N picking up random books to read.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A Perilous Undertaking is a sequel to A Curious Beginning, but this book can read as a stand-alone. Though I do think it could be practical to read the first book to really get to know the characters since Veronica Speedwell, well she has an interesting family situation.

In this book, we get a deeper insight into both Veronica and Stoker's families. And, we finally learn why Stoker doesn't want to have anything to do with his family. Veronica meets a relative. However, she knows that the one pers
Riley
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
okay I rarely read books in the same series back to back but I am loving this one so much I really don't want to read anything else. I could read 20 of these books and it still wouldn't be enough
Mei
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I liked this second book less than the first. Not because if was bad, but because I was expecting much more!

Yeah, I know, I know...

Anythow, the book is interesting, sometimes fun and not at all TSTL moments in it!

I liked the characters too, most of all Lady Wellingtonia! WOW, what a dragon-lady!

There're a ton of hints of a case of lust/attraction between Stoker and Veronica, but nothing really comes out of it (view spoiler)
may ❀
veronica and stoker stop being insufferably arrogant and proclaim your undying love for each other challenge

this series literally has me by the throat fkldsjflds and i don't know how to put into words the emotions it put me through but i stayed up very late in order to finish reading it and i think that's what true love looks like

anyways review to come but in the mean time i'll just be sitting here screaming for the next book bc i need to binge these books badly (we'll suffer the consequences
✩ Ashley ✩
4.5 Stars

What the future held, I could not say. But we would have more adventures together, of that I was certain, and I could not wait to begin them.

My sentiments exactly, Miss Speedwell! 😉

Audiobook Performance: ★★★★½
Liz
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you can just settle right into and enjoy every page. A Perilous Undertaking is the second in Raybourn’s latest series which follows Veronica Speedwell and her scientific partner/friend Stoker.

In a nutshell
Lovable characters with depths yet unexplored. Many hilarious, laugh-out-loud moments. Snappy dialogue. Well constructed mystery with an array of interesting suspects.

Characters
Veronica: Intelligent. Determined. Imperious. Sharp-tongued. Funny. Caring. Stubborn.
Amy Imogene Reads
Another stellar ridiculous favorite, even when the plot went off the rails into insane land.

Humor: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★
Enjoyment:★★★★★

This is the second book in the Veronica Speedwell series, so if you haven't read the first one check it out! (My review of it here.)

Veronica Speedwell and her partner-in-detection, Stoker, are at it again with a rolicking novel filled with antiquated sexual puns, drama, no-nonsense feminism, and seriously insane antics. I LOVED IT.

In this escapade, a gentleman
Anne
Unfortunately, this sophomore entry into this series falls far short of its predecessor. Here's hoping book three is a vast improvement.

2.5 stars. I am disappoint.

*************************

Finally, finally getting to read this! I hope it's as good as the first book.

***********************************

Wait a minute....release date 2017?! That was scheduled for September this year!

description

***********************************

Oh, did you ever see such a lovely cover? GAAAAAAAH.

description

********************

I cannot wai
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
4.5 Stars!
The Veronica Speedwell Mysteries, likes it predecessor The Lady Julia Gray Series, has quickly become a favorite. It has absolutely everything I loved about Raybourn's Lady Julia series except for all of the March's themselves but Veronica and Stoker are quite a match for Julia and Nicholas.

The first book was so much fun and I knew I had found a new love in the series, spin off or not and with this second book, it just proves that I was not wrong in the slightest.

Full of all the thin
Angie
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I decided to start off the year with a read I felt was sure to satisfy. That's the space I'm occupying right now, guys. I need something new and I need something that's going to just make it right. Tall order, I know. But I've been a fan of the first Veronica Speedwell mystery for awhile now, and I was definitely eager to rejoin Veronica and Stoker's company to see what adventure they might find next. Deanna Raybourn has been my go-to author when it comes to
Milda Page Runner
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Milda by: Mimi
I'm glad I continued with the series. Both book 2 and 3 offer well done intriguing murder mysteries. Slow boil romance between main characters and light humour add to the fun.
Cindy Burnett
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-to-read
A Perilous Undertaking is one of the best books I have read recently. I loved everything about it: the cover, the characters, the setting, and the plot. Veronica Speedwell and Stoker Templeton Vane make the perfect pair, sleuthing and otherwise, and are truly entertaining; they are both forward thinking, eccentric, unusual, and highly intelligent. I have not read the first in the series, but I had no trouble leaping right into this installment.

Veronica Speedwell, a Victorian-era lepidopterist (
Hollis
That was the true measure of his character; even at the height of his irritation he would never let me fall.

I'm throwing this on the romance shelf for my own sanity. We'll get there one day. And in the meantime.. their friendship is flirty, sure, but it's also solid and true and that's romantic, okay? Fight me.

"We need to be menaced by a better class of criminal. This one cannot spell."

In some ways I think I liked A PERILOUS UNDERTAKING both more and less than book one. I actually didn't enjoy t
Mary-ellen
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this second book in the Veronica Speedwell series!

This instalment has Veronica and Stoker trying to solve the mystery of who murdered Artemisia. Miles Ramsforth is set to hang for the murder when Veronica and Stoker are called in to ascertain whether Miles is really the guilty party. What could be more fun than Veronica and Stoker on an adventure through a sex grotto, opium den, funeral house and an art house? We get a little more of Stoker’s story, more of the would-be roma
The Lit Bitch
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

So as many of you might have noticed, I have been on a Deanna Raybourn book binge read!

I first discovered Raybourn’s books a few years ago when I read Night of a Thousand Stars, which I thought was pretty good as a stand alone book.

It wasn’t until last year that I rediscovered Raybourn and picked up the first Veronica Speedwell book and absolutely fell in love with the series.

Needless to say, I’ve been waiting a long time for this book to come out…..I literally couldn’t wait until Janu
Robin
I absolutely adored this sequel! I'm so mad at myself for waiting a full year after finishing book 1 to continue on. This book picks up right where book 1 left off and I loved being back with these characters. This book is so strong in both it's mystery aspects as well as it's amazing characters. One of my favorite things about this series is how connected I am to each and every character in here. I obviously love Veronica and Stoker (otp status for sure) but the side characters are also impecca ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I enjoyed this book but I didn't think it quite lived up to the first book in the series. I had a really hard time getting into the book at first but once the story got moving, I found myself really enjoying it. I think that the characters in this series are amazing and this book lets us get to know them just a little better than before. Overall, this was a very enjoyable read.

Veronica Speedwell is such a fun character. She is extremely intel
Caz
4.5 stars.

A Perilous Undertaking
is the second book in Deanna Raybourn’s series of Victorian mysteries featuring the intrepid Veronica Speedwell, lepidopterist and lady adventurer and her friend and colleague Revelstoke Templeton-Vane, known as Stoker – the scion of a noble family from whom he ran away to join the Navy and who has since made himself a name as a natural historian.

Both characters were very well introduced in the previous book, A Curious Beginning, so while this one can be read as
Wendy
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Deanna Raybourn is one of my favourite authors and her "Lady Julia" series is a favourite of mine as well. I was thrilled to read A Curious Beginning, the 1st book in another of her series, set in Victorian England, introducing fearless adventuress Veronica Speedwell.
Veronica is fiercely independent, sassy, outspoken and highly intelligent. Her brazen defiance sets her apart. Then there is Stoker, the male protagonist, who is a dark brooding soul, full of mystery and good looks. Together they ma
☕️Kimberly
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The setting is 1887 London, and Stoker and Veronica's travel plans are thwarted when their benefactor trips over a tortoise. Oh yes, things are quite interesting when you spend time with this duo. When Victoria's invited to the Curiosity Club, she meets the mysterious Lady Sunbridge. The lady implores Veronica to save Miles Ramsforth from hanging. Miles is accused of brutally murdering his mistress. Veronica knows that Sunbridge is withholding information, but nevertheless agrees.

The mystery ser
♥Rachel♥
Ended up liking this more than I thought. Review, maybe.
Darque  Dreamer
A Perilous Undertaking will plunge you in to the depths of danger and debauchery! As A Curious Beginning was full of curiosities and intrigue, this one is full of scandal and betrayal! Prepare to be taken on a wild ride of mystery and misdeeds!

I’ve officially been caught in Veronica’s net. Both books were insanely enjoyable. This one held a bit more mature content, but it was exciting, mysterious, and humorously and tastefully done!

At this point in the series, I 100% adore Veronica. She is sensa
Lady Wesley
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mystery with a touch of romance
Veronica Speedwell returns for her second adventure with Revelstoke Templeton-Vane, known to all (except his family) as Stoker. Veronica, who has made a career of sorts of lepidoptery, is the natural daughter of a Very Important Person, as revealed in the first book, A Curious Beginning. Stoker is a viscount's younger son, who fled his unhappy home as a young man, became a doctor in the Royal Navy, and now has a significant reputation as a naturalist. (He also practices taxidermy, which makes fo ...more
Kira

A tedious undertaking would have been a more apt title. The pacing was so slow. Every 50 pages or so they'd get some minuscule clue. They had to do a lot of socializing to get these clues too. The worst part was that I didn't care about any of the characters other than Victoria and Stoker. All of them were obnoxious and self absorbed. The mystery was too simple. The occam's razor theory definitely applies here.

The main reason I read this was because I wanted to know more about Stoker's
Wanda
Well, I am disappointed that this author has withdrawn from the writers’ conference in my city in August. I enjoyed this second book in the Veronica Speedwell series almost as much as the first! I do hope that she will attend When Words Collide in the future.

I came into this series a bit suspicious, as I have my reservations about the whole Victorian-lady-detective set-up. I know, I know, it’s popular right now to re-write Victorian society to give it larger, more interesting female roles—and I’

• The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • The Hollow of Fear (Lady Sherlock, #3)
  • The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby Mystery, #1)
  • Mortal Arts (Lady Darby Mystery, #2)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (Wrexford & Sloane, #1)
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • A Scandalous Deception (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #2)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (Wrexford & Sloane, #2)
  • A Brazen Curiosity (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #1)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • An Infamous Betrayal (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #3)
  • A Nefarious Engagement (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #4)
  • A Study in Death (Lady Darby Mystery #4)
  • A Treacherous Performance (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries #5)
  • Murder at Kensington Palace (Wrexford & Sloane, #3)
  • As Death Draws Near (Lady Darby Mystery #5)
  • A Brush with Shadows (Lady Darby Mystery #6)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling novelist Deanna Raybourn is a 6th-generation native Texan. She graduated with a double major in English and history from the University of Texas at San Antonio. Married to her college sweetheart and the mother of one, Raybourn makes her home in Virginia. Her novels have been nominated for numerous awards including two RT Reviewers’ Choice awards, the Agatha ...more

Veronica Speedwell (5 books)
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1)
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • A Dangerous Collaboration (Veronica Speedwell, #4)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)