Start by marking “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

(Star Wars: Novelizations #3.5)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - Go beyond the film with a novelization featuring new scenes and expanded material.

As the shadows of the Empire loom ever larger across the galaxy, so do deeply troubling rumors. The Rebellion has learned of a sinister Imperial plot to bring entire worlds to their knees. Deep in Empire-dominated space, a machine of unimaginable destructive power
Published December 20th 2016 by Del Rey Books (first published December 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue One, please sign up.
Musica1 This is so much better than The Force Awakens novelization! It's better than most movie novelizations. You could read this as a novel and love it…moreThis is so much better than The Force Awakens novelization! It's better than most movie novelizations. You could read this as a novel and love it without seeing the movie. The characters are fleshed out and motivations clarified.(less)
***Dave Hill We get some good internal insight as to what's going on with Bodhi, how he's feeling, his whole story arc in the movie in a way that clarifies his…moreWe get some good internal insight as to what's going on with Bodhi, how he's feeling, his whole story arc in the movie in a way that clarifies his behavior in the movie.(less)

Start your review of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.5)
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
A year ago I wrote an absolutely scathing review of the Star Wars the Force Awakens novelisation. I hated the thing; it was poor, and it felt like a tepid plot summary. It captured nothing of the movie. I was determined never to read a Star War novelisation again by the same author.

So I was delighted to see that Alexander Freed was writing this one. I’ve already read Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company and although the book wasn’t without its faults, it clearly showed much promise. Freed
Alejandro
Solid story, great characters!

BEYOND A MERE NOVELIZATION

…why follow Jyn?

Because she shines.

Usually when you read a novelization, the reading experience while entertained, since it’s a novelization from a movie script, you get basically the same thing that you get while watching the film, BUT

…here, isn’t the case!

You hardly will believe that it wasn’t in the contrary, you'll believe that this book may be the original novel from where they did the movie script!

The author, Alexander Freed,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I got the movie for my birthday and loved it so much. I found out there was a novelization and immediately bought it as my own birthday present. I'm so glad I did, it was so freaking good. It was like watching the movie for the third time. This book also came with beautiful pictures around the middle of the book. I'm not sure if that was the BN Special Edition stuff or what, I just know I loved it.

I love the character of Jyn, she ends up being bad to the bone and so strong. When she was little
Melindam
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

*SNIFF, SIGH, HOLDING BACK SOME TEARS HEROICALLY*

I am usually wary of film
Julie
“Relax, Captain,” Chirrut answered. “We’ve been in worse cages than this one.”

“Yeah? Well, this is a first for me.”

“There is more than one sort of prison, Captain,” Chirrut said. “I sense that you carry yours wherever you go.”

Baze laughed again, but there was no boisterousness this time—just a coarse, hollow sound. Cassian frowned and turned back to the lock and the cavern.

It was some minutes later that he realized no one had told Chirrut he was a captain.

I was hard-pressed to choose a flagship
BAM The Bibliomaniac
I have never seen the movie, and I avoided all conversations about it, so I had no idea what this book was about. Imagine my surprise! What a poignant point of view to have taken- the courageous rebel alliance. I'm biting my tongue in this review. I have one word for you- GOODBYE

Summer Fantasy Fest read # 4
Khurram
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review on Amazon

A very good adaption of a very good movie. Yes I am a huge Star Wars fan will buy just about everything with the Star Wars Name on it. So getting this was a not brainer I loved the continuity that is still there in the Disney era of Star Wars and I love the nod and respect for the source material (the original movies).

Alexander Freed did the right thing concentrating on the emotions of the characters Jyn and Brood in particular. For me
Ashley
If you've read any reviews of this book, what I'm about to say is probably something you've heard before: This is one of the best film novelizations I've ever read, if not the best. Oy, that sounds really hyperbolic, and to be fair, it's really not a high bar to clear. People aren't going around screaming for the next great novelization. They just aren't. Also, the novelization for The Force Awakens was quite terrible, so psychologically speaking, pretty much if this one had been halfway decent ...more
Paz R.M.
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.
[Spoilers for the Movie]

In a kinder universe, she would have walked away from Scarif. I cannot imagine who she would have become, but I think she would have been extraordinary.
I am grateful I knew her, no matter how short the time.

Damn, this book. This story. I was lucky enough to have read Catalyst before seeing Rogue One for the first time, and even when I didn't love that book, I was not expecting how much I'd take away from that story. I loved Jyn, I cared so much about Galen
Hannah
HONESTLY this book was not only a great Star Wars book (probably one of the best I have read?), but also something I would recommend as a book-book. Let's be real here, the EU has set the bar pretty low over the years, so what I look for in a SW novel is not always what I'm looking for in my other reading choices, but this nailed both.

The prose is wonderful. Freed has a knack for not only getting into a character's skin, but making you feel like you're right there with them. Action scenes are
Holly (The Grimdragon)
In the instant before he'd risen from the bunker, he'd questioned his own wisdom: How might he separate the will of the Force from his will, his ego, demanding action where action was unneeded? But there was no doubt in his heart now. The Force expressed itself through simplicity, and all it asked of him was to walk.

I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

Well fuck. Just when I think I am finally emotionally stable enough to delve in before watching the movie again, this. THIS. I
Kate Willis
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, cover-love
Warning: Mixed feelings ahead. ;)

I’m not a Star Wars superfan, but I really enjoyed watching this movie with my sisters and a bestie. It was one part epic, one part hilarious, and one part heartbreaking. Like a good story should be. :D The novelization was even better!

The author stayed completely true to the storyline while adding more character depth and explaining the fascinating political situation. (But giving more description of the Jedha bit and giving stormtrooper POV? Not okay.
Lata
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. All the problems I have with this story centre around idiot decisions the screenwriters made.

Problems: 1) Transforming Jyn's mother, Lyra, from an intelligent, woman in "Rogue One: Catalyst" into a brainless, stupid and disposable lamp in this story . This should not have surprised me, but I keep hoping screenwriters will treat women in general and mothers specifically, with respect. Lyra gets shoved off-story almost immediately, and Jyn doesn't think about her again.
2) Jyn
Rahmi
Perfect. One of the most beautiful things I've ever read :')
Claudia
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here goes my completely biased review of the Rogue One novelization.

I always review my books based on entertainment more than literary quality or stylistic beauty, and this one is no different.

I'm gonna start saying that I watched the movie before reading the book, but that doesn't mean it is the only way of doing it. This book can be read before the movie and I don't think it will in any way diminish your enjoyment of it. However, I absolutely think it must be read with some prior knowledge
Claire Banschbach
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the movie and loved getting a more in depth look at all the characters. Except for Jyn. I don't know, somehow the book made her a little irritating to me. But I loved Bodhi! And Cassian, of course, and the occasional glimpse into the mechanical workings of my second favorite droid, K2. And Krennic is oddly wonderful as a villain.

The ending was still sad and depressing. Made even more so by the last missive from Mon Mothma.

I will say I really liked the added correspondences and data files
Lance Shadow
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read the novelization of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story forever. Not only do I always enjoy reading novelizations for the theatrically released star wars movies to see what was added, but response to Alexander Freed’s take on the first Star Wars spinoff film has been largely positive. Also, as soon as I got out of the movie, I felt like it was the perfect movie for a novelization.
Just for a warning, this review contains SPOILERS for both the movie and the novelization. So I
Jessica Halleck
This. This right here.

This is what it feels like to read Star Wars.

There are space battles, yes. Alien worlds. Martial arts mystics. But the shining jewel in this book's crown is Freed's character work. The characters are the heart and soul of this story--Jyn Erso, ultimately, most of all--but on the shoulders of the ensemble cast, cycling with well-honed timing from POV to POV, we get to know them, their motivations and struggles, and as they grow and arc on their doomed paths the reader's
Hannah Rodriguez
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
haha
okay
so I finished this at the dentist before I had to go in for a cavity (curse you sugar) and yo the dentist thought I was tearing up from the shot
but it was mostly Cassian and Jyn in the beach
yep.
it deserves all the stars
Erin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of my favourite Star Wars stories!

Kimber
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful read when you're sick at home! This is my new favorite Star Wars story (excepting Empire Strikes Back). This just has it all: characters, even small characters are living and breathing, intergalactic space travel and diverse settings, sights/sounds/sensory feels, the Jedi, the mystical teachings of the Force, some background on Mon Mothma, the over arching theme of being of service to the Rebellion: this was Jyn Erso's destiny and we feel what she has to go through to accomplish ...more
Amy Sturgis
If you enjoyed Rogue One and want a richer understanding of its plot and characters, 1) read Catalyst by James Luceno, and then 2) read Rogue One by Alexander Freed.

This novelization rates about a 3.5 for me.

Here are a few of my favorite descriptions and lines that show what Freed's novelization adds to the reader's understanding of the story.

SPOILERS!

From Chapter 10:
For all of K-2's social dysfunction (or perhaps his disinterest in organic socialization -- who could fathom the mind of a
Shadowdenizen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I might be in the minority, but I did't care for the movie, and I liked the book only marginally better. (Best not to even get me started....)

Where I found Rey, Finn and Poe immediately charming and likable, I found Jyn to be rather inscrutable and ultimately one-dimensional. (But, to it's credit, the book does serve to humanize her a bit.)
Sophie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books, star-wars
This was so great, like it really added some extra emotion to the movie, which was already emotional. Lots of wonderful character insight and moments. My favorite probably was the relationship between Jyn and Cassian.
Scott Rhee
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is NOT a review of the film “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”, Gareth Edwards’s masterfully directed entry in the “Star Wars” filmography. Suffice it to say, about the film: I loved it, thought it was the best in the series. It was somewhat darker, more violent, less campy than the original “Star Wars” but still in keeping with the true vibe of the original series. It also helped explain some giant unexplained plot holes in “Episode IV: A New Hope”, especially in regard to how the Rebel ...more
Nathalie Maes
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've seen the movie, and you want to get even more out of the movie, read this.

The novelization is pretty much a written out script of the movie, but it adds so much. In the literal sense, there's a few extra scenes that we weren't shown (nothing big), but some of the extra dialogue and really getting what every character is thinking just deepens everything that happens and it makes some scenes even more beautiful than they already were. Absolutely loved it.
Eva
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 4.5

AHHHHHHHHHH. THIS BOOK. SO GOOD. I CAN'T EVEN.

The feels are strong with this one.

The writing was incredibly good - not just for a movie novelization, but for a book in general. And the characterization, worldbuilding, etc...GAH. I got so teary near the end, of course.
Bria
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alexander Freed has penned one of the rare novelizations that's not just a good read but works harmoniously with the film to paint a beautiful story.

Full review over at Tosche Station: http://tosche-station.net/review-rogu...
TRACE
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
ok how about tarkin leaving krennic on read with those messages

savage
Marie
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert (no) : I'm a mess.
Absolutely loved it. 1 2 Mar 22, 2019 02:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please change page count 11 32 Jan 26, 2017 01:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Add cover 9 14 Jan 24, 2017 09:16AM

• Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Bloodline (Star Wars)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • Heir to the Jedi (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #3)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
Alexander Freed is the author of Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Lost Suns, as well as many short stories, comic books, and videogames. Born near Philadelphia, he endeavors to bring the city’s dour charm with him to his current home of Austin, Texas.

His first novel, Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company was included on BuzzFeed’s “Best Science Fiction Books Of 2015” list.

Star Wars: Novelizations (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3.25)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)
  • A New Hope  (Star Wars: Novelizations, #4)
  • The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Novelizations, #5)
  • Return of the Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #6)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
“What do you know? We don't all have the luxury of deciding when and where we want to care about something. Suddenly the Rebellion is real for you? Now that you've got a stake in it, and - and - now that you don't have another life to go back to? Some of us live this Rebellion. I've been in this fight since I was six years old. You're not the only one who lost everything. Some of us just decided to do something about it.” 20 likes
“I’m not used to people sticking around when things go bad,” she said, by way of explanation.” 16 likes