Start by marking “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - Go beyond the film with a novelization featuring new scenes and expanded material.

As the shadows of the Empire loom ever larger across the galaxy, so do deeply troubling rumors. The Rebellion has learned of a sinister Imperial plot to bring entire worlds to their knees. Deep in Empire-dominated space, a machine of unimaginable destructive power
Published December 20th 2016 by Del Rey Books (first published December 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rogue One, please sign up.
Musica1 This is so much better than The Force Awakens novelization! It's better than most movie novelizations. You could read this as a novel and love it…moreThis is so much better than The Force Awakens novelization! It's better than most movie novelizations. You could read this as a novel and love it without seeing the movie. The characters are fleshed out and motivations clarified.(less)
***Dave Hill We get some good internal insight as to what's going on with Bodhi, how he's feeling, his whole story arc in the movie in a way that clarifies his…moreWe get some good internal insight as to what's going on with Bodhi, how he's feeling, his whole story arc in the movie in a way that clarifies his behavior in the movie.(less)

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
A year ago I wrote an absolutely scathing review of the Star Wars the Force Awakens novelisation. I hated the thing; it was poor, and it felt like a tepid plot summary. It captured nothing of the movie. I was determined never to read a Star War novelisation again by the same author.

So I was delighted to see that Alexander Freed was writing this one. I’ve already read Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company and although the book wasn’t without its faults, it clearly showed much promise. Freed d
Alejandro
Solid story, great characters!

BEYOND A MERE NOVELIZATION

…why follow Jyn?

Because she shines.

Usually when you read a novelization, the reading experience while entertained, since it’s a novelization from a movie script, you get basically the same thing that you get while watching the film, BUT

…here, isn’t the case!

You hardly will believe that it wasn’t in the contrary, you'll believe that this book may be the original novel from where they did the movie script!

The author, Alexander Freed,
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I got the movie for my birthday and loved it so much. I found out there was a novelization and immediately bought it as my own birthday present. I'm so glad I did, it was so freaking good. It was like watching the movie for the third time. This book also came with beautiful pictures around the middle of the book. I'm not sure if that was the BN Special Edition stuff or what, I just know I loved it. ❤

I love the character of Jyn, she ends up being bad to the bone and so strong. When she was little
Ana O
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m one with the Force. The Force is with me.

Allow me to drop some knowledge. Rogue One is a much better movie than Force Awakens & Last Jedi combined. I said it and I meant it.

vader-gif

Even Vader agrees with me.

I love me some Kylo Ren but hey what about the plot. Or should I say plot holes?

It's over Anakin fanboys, I have the high ground. I am the senate. Never tell me the odds. I am a Jedi, like my father before me. Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise.

Where am I going w
Melindam
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

*SNIFF, SIGH, HOLDING BACK SOME TEARS HEROICALLY*

I am usually wary of film
Julie
“Relax, Captain,” Chirrut answered. “We’ve been in worse cages than this one.”

“Yeah? Well, this is a first for me.”

“There is more than one sort of prison, Captain,” Chirrut said. “I sense that you carry yours wherever you go.”

Baze laughed again, but there was no boisterousness this time—just a coarse, hollow sound. Cassian frowned and turned back to the lock and the cavern.

It was some minutes later that he realized no one had told Chirrut he was a captain.

I was hard-pressed to choose a flagship
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never seen the movie, and I avoided all conversations about it, so I had no idea what this book was about. Imagine my surprise! What a poignant point of view to have taken- the courageous rebel alliance. I'm biting my tongue in this review. I have one word for you- GOODBYE

Summer Fantasy Fest read # 4
Daniel
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kada uzmete ovu knjigu dobijate tačno ono što ste i očekivali: prepričan film. Ni manje ni više što je po meni velika propuštena prilika da se ova priča proširi i da se gomila rupa fino popuni.

Sa druge strane knjiga je kompetentno napisana i odlično je prenešena atmosfera filma.

Sve u svemu dobra adaptacija ali manje više nepotrebna.

PS: Još jedna stvar koja mi nje legla je nekako nedostatak humora kojeg ima dosta u filmu a ovde se slabo nalazi. Moguće da je problem pošto je dosta humora bilo neve
Ashley
If you've read any reviews of this book, what I'm about to say is probably something you've heard before: This is one of the best film novelizations I've ever read, if not the best. Oy, that sounds really hyperbolic, and to be fair, it's really not a high bar to clear. People aren't going around screaming for the next great novelization. They just aren't. Also, the novelization for The Force Awakens was quite terrible, so psychologically speaking, pretty much if this one had been halfway decent ...more
Paz R.M.
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars.
[Spoilers for the Movie]

In a kinder universe, she would have walked away from Scarif. I cannot imagine who she would have become, but I think she would have been extraordinary.
I am grateful I knew her, no matter how short the time.

Damn, this book. This story. I was lucky enough to have read Catalyst before seeing Rogue One for the first time, and even when I didn't love that book, I was not expecting how much I'd take away from that story. I loved Jyn, I cared so much about Galen an
Hannah
HONESTLY this book was not only a great Star Wars book (probably one of the best I have read?), but also something I would recommend as a book-book. Let's be real here, the EU has set the bar pretty low over the years, so what I look for in a SW novel is not always what I'm looking for in my other reading choices, but this nailed both.

The prose is wonderful. Freed has a knack for not only getting into a character's skin, but making you feel like you're right there with them. Action scenes are ki
Holly (The Grimdragon)
In the instant before he'd risen from the bunker, he'd questioned his own wisdom: How might he separate the will of the Force from his will, his ego, demanding action where action was unneeded? But there was no doubt in his heart now. The Force expressed itself through simplicity, and all it asked of him was to walk.

I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.

Well fuck. Just when I think I am finally emotionally stable enough to delve in before watching the movie again, this. THIS. I devour
Kate Willis
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, cover-love
Warning: Mixed feelings ahead. ;)

I’m not a Star Wars superfan, but I really enjoyed watching this movie with my sisters and a bestie. It was one part epic, one part hilarious, and one part heartbreaking. Like a good story should be. :D The novelization was even better!

The author stayed completely true to the storyline while adding more character depth and explaining the fascinating political situation. (But giving more description of the Jedha bit and giving stormtrooper POV? Not okay. *whimpers
Lata
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. All the problems I have with this story centre around idiot decisions the screenwriters made.

Problems: 1) Transforming Jyn's mother, Lyra, from an intelligent, woman in "Rogue One: Catalyst" into a brainless, stupid and disposable lamp in this story . This should not have surprised me, but I keep hoping screenwriters will treat women in general and mothers specifically, with respect. Lyra gets shoved off-story almost immediately, and Jyn doesn't think about her again.
2) Jyn spen
Claudia
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Here goes my completely biased review of the Rogue One novelization.

I always review my books based on entertainment more than literary quality or stylistic beauty, and this one is no different.

I'm gonna start saying that I watched the movie before reading the book, but that doesn't mean it is the only way of doing it. This book can be read before the movie and I don't think it will in any way diminish your enjoyment of it. However, I absolutely think it must be read with some prior knowledge o
Rahmi
Perfect. One of the most beautiful things I've ever read :')
Lance Shadow
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been wanting to read the novelization of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story forever. Not only do I always enjoy reading novelizations for the theatrically released star wars movies to see what was added, but response to Alexander Freed’s take on the first Star Wars spinoff film has been largely positive. Also, as soon as I got out of the movie, I felt like it was the perfect movie for a novelization.
Just for a warning, this review contains SPOILERS for both the movie and the novelization. So I
Erin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is probably one of my favourite Star Wars stories!

Claire Banschbach
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the movie and loved getting a more in depth look at all the characters. Except for Jyn. I don't know, somehow the book made her a little irritating to me. But I loved Bodhi! And Cassian, of course, and the occasional glimpse into the mechanical workings of my second favorite droid, K2. And Krennic is oddly wonderful as a villain.

The ending was still sad and depressing. Made even more so by the last missive from Mon Mothma.

I will say I really liked the added correspondences and data files
Hannah Rodriguez
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
haha
okay
so I finished this at the dentist before I had to go in for a cavity (curse you sugar) and yo the dentist thought I was tearing up from the shot
but it was mostly Cassian and Jyn in the beach
yep.
it deserves all the stars
Jessica Halleck
This. This right here.

This is what it feels like to read Star Wars.

There are space battles, yes. Alien worlds. Martial arts mystics. But the shining jewel in this book's crown is Freed's character work. The characters are the heart and soul of this story--Jyn Erso, ultimately, most of all--but on the shoulders of the ensemble cast, cycling with well-honed timing from POV to POV, we get to know them, their motivations and struggles, and as they grow and arc on their doomed paths the reader's in
Sophie
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars, 2017-books
This was so great, like it really added some extra emotion to the movie, which was already emotional. Lots of wonderful character insight and moments. My favorite probably was the relationship between Jyn and Cassian.
Scott Rhee
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is NOT a review of the film “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”, Gareth Edwards’s masterfully directed entry in the “Star Wars” filmography. Suffice it to say, about the film: I loved it, thought it was the best in the series. It was somewhat darker, more violent, less campy than the original “Star Wars” but still in keeping with the true vibe of the original series. It also helped explain some giant unexplained plot holes in “Episode IV: A New Hope”, especially in regard to how the Rebel Allian ...more
Amy Sturgis
If you enjoyed Rogue One and want a richer understanding of its plot and characters, 1) read Catalyst by James Luceno, and then 2) read Rogue One by Alexander Freed.

This novelization rates about a 3.5 for me.

Here are a few of my favorite descriptions and lines that show what Freed's novelization adds to the reader's understanding of the story.

SPOILERS!

From Chapter 10:
For all of K-2's social dysfunction (or perhaps his disinterest in organic socialization -- who could fathom the mind of a droid
Shadowdenizen
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I might be in the minority, but I did't care for the movie, and I liked the book only marginally better. (Best not to even get me started....)

Where I found Rey, Finn and Poe immediately charming and likable, I found Jyn to be rather inscrutable and ultimately one-dimensional. (But, to it's credit, the book does serve to humanize her a bit.)
Nathalie Maes
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've seen the movie, and you want to get even more out of the movie, read this.

The novelization is pretty much a written out script of the movie, but it adds so much. In the literal sense, there's a few extra scenes that we weren't shown (nothing big), but some of the extra dialogue and really getting what every character is thinking just deepens everything that happens and it makes some scenes even more beautiful than they already were. Absolutely loved it.
Eva
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
Actual rating: 4.5

AHHHHHHHHHH. THIS BOOK. SO GOOD. I CAN'T EVEN.

The feels are strong with this one.

The writing was incredibly good - not just for a movie novelization, but for a book in general. And the characterization, worldbuilding, etc...GAH. I got so teary near the end, of course.
TRACE
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
ok how about tarkin leaving krennic on read with those messages

savage
Marie
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert (no) : I'm a mess.
Michelle Curie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
"We don't all have the luxury of deciding when and where we want to care about something. Some of us live this Rebellion. You're not the only one who lost everything. Some of us just decided to do something about it."

Novelisation are difficult books. They're targeted at people who are passionate enough about the source material to be part of the same story in just a different format and there'll always have something to live up and be compared to. My expectations weren't high - and then Rogue
Absolutely loved it. 1 2 Mar 22, 2019 02:24AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please change page count 11 31 Jan 26, 2017 01:36PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Add cover 9 14 Jan 24, 2017 09:16AM
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
  • Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
  • Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Star Wars)
  • A New Dawn (Star Wars)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars)
  • Empire's End (Star Wars: Aftermath, #3)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • Honor Among Thieves (Star Wars: Empire and Rebellion, #2)
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Empire Strikes Back: The National Public Radio Dramatization
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
Alexander Freed is the author of Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Lost Suns, as well as many short stories, comic books, and videogames. Born near Philadelphia, he endeavors to bring the city’s dour charm with him to his current home of Austin, Texas.

His first novel, Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company was included on BuzzFeed’s “Best Science Fiction Books Of 2015” list.

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel (Star Wars)
  • Dark Disciple (Star Wars)
  • Ahsoka (Star Wars)
  • Lords of the Sith (Star Wars)
  • Tarkin (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
“What do you know? We don't all have the luxury of deciding when and where we want to care about something. Suddenly the Rebellion is real for you? Now that you've got a stake in it, and - and - now that you don't have another life to go back to? Some of us live this Rebellion. I've been in this fight since I was six years old. You're not the only one who lost everything. Some of us just decided to do something about it.” 18 likes
“I’m not used to people sticking around when things go bad,” she said, by way of explanation.” 10 likes