Start by marking “Body and Bone” as Want to Read:
Body and Bone

Body and Bone

He wants to destroy her reputation.

He wants to destroy her life.

He wants to destroy . . . her.

Nessa Donati used to be a happily married mother with a successful music blog and satellite radio show. But that was before her husband John relapsed on drugs and went missing. That was before he was presumed dead. And before she was framed for his murder.

When a commenter on Nessa
Published June 14th 2016 by Witness Impulse (first published May 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Body and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body and Bone

Start your review of Body and Bone
Sherry Fundin
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Between the cover and title for Body and Bone by L S Hawker, I don’t know which drew me in more. I love a mystery thriller and Nessa’s story supplied me with a steady supply of suspense.

Nessa’s mother haunts her every move and even worse, she married a man just like her…gimme, gimme gimme, mine mine mine. Usually a daughter marries a man like her father and I liked this nice little twist that L S Hawker supplied. But…wait…there’s more and you won’t believe where she takes the storyline.

Nessa is
Beth McCraw
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.. just lacked about halfway through and had to make myself finish.
Annie
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most excellent 5 star read! finished it in one sitting, the ending was a shocker and maybe a little over the top but, still loved it!
Kathleen
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Body And Bone, author L.S. Hawker weaves a chilling psychological thriller that follows the harrowing tale of cyber-stalking and bullying that turns successful music blogger and satellite radio show host Nessa Donati's life upside down.

Body And Bone is a riveting and intense story that is full of intrigue, action, drama, suspense, addictions, murder, and dark secrets. The author takes the reader on one hell of an emotional roller coaster ride as Nessa races against time to find out the identi
Cheryl
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much in too little time

I like suspense novels - and thrillers - and mysteries. But this book tried to stuff too much into one book.

The story started out pretty good and definitely kept me guessing. But I thought most of the characters were not fleshed out enough and some did 180s without proper explanation.

I liked the basis of the book, with the protagonist being a music blogger and radio show host. And she dislikes the Beatles - another plus.

But the book is overstuffed with MacGuffins to b
shannon
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are the times I wish Goodreads had a rating scale that included .5. I'd give "Body and Bone" a 4.5 no doubt. See, "The Drowning Game" was easily one of the best books I've ever read, so I had really high expectations for "Body and Bone." While a fantastic and captivating read - I can't give it five stars like I did "The Drowning Game."

I love that L.S. Hawker isn't afraid to have plot twists that just seem so incredibly out there. I thought I had this one all figured out early on. I was so
Andrea
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superbly Suspenseful

Another superbly suspenseful story from LS Hawker. Body and Bone had an intense storyline -addictions and secrets, betrayals and death, vengeance and redemption. I loved that fast-paced plot, and that Hawker's style suits me so well. I did think the big reveal/baddie was overdone and far-fetched, almost cartoonish, but, the rest of the story was pretty perfect.

LS Hawker is the suspense writer to watch.
Rob Stormes
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved her first book but this one is better. Read it in one day and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Always kept me guessing, which is something I love. I never really enjoy a book when you figure out the bad guy too early, didn't have to worry with this one.

Engaging characters, twists and turns, a great read!

Can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
Kaye Josey
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read

Interesting and twisted plot! I enjoyed reading it as well as her other book. Didn't see the ending coming! Couldn't put it down! I definitely recommend it. Look forward to more books by this author.
Esperanza
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamie Moore
Mixed Emotions

I wanted to like this book, and parts of it I did like. Then there were parts I found to be unbelievable. I found the climax to be very farfetched. It was hard to reconcile the two different aspects of Nessa's brother. The cool guy that introduced her to all the alternative music didn't seem like the passive puppet of her mother. Don't get me started on the mother! That whole storyline was hard to swallow.

I did like her roommate and I liked the dialog between her and Nessa. I found
Leah
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is pretty mediocre, at best.

The character development, though it does get better as the book goes along, is not very good. Everything happens really abruptly, without much of a "suspenseful build up". I found myself being like "whaaaaaaat, did that really just happen without any pretense?" so many times throughout this book.

The plot is alright, and I'll admit I didn't expect the ending, but definitely wouldn't read again or really recommend.
M Furlow
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touching, well executed novel

I had no great expectations for this book. It was reading material for a long boring flight home after a trip. The narrative slowly seduced me until I was inextricably engaged. A wonderful story, skilfully written and plotted with subtlety and fitness rarely found in contemporary literature.
Sandi
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I did not see that coming

Great story. Well written and well told. Surprises and twists and turns to keep you off track. Just bought two more of her books to see if she tells all stories so well. I do recommend this book.
karen j kice
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner!

I've lost sleep over this book, I just couldn't stop reading! Great storyline, when I thought I had it figured out there was a new twist. I definitely recommend this book and I will be adding more stories by this author.
Kate Jonuska
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unpredictable, gripping and unique, this book is everything a thriller should be. Loved the protag!
Judy Conway
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

The book was good- it definitely left you waiting in suspense as to who was behind the different actions happening
Renae McRoy
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Surprises til the end!
Andrea
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointed. I picked it up because it was a Denver author, suspense thriller. Very inaccurate portrayal of drug world, IMO.
Gregory A Joy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Interesting and suspenseful story about a successful woman with a past. Well told and we'll written. This is the first book I've read by this author. Won't be my last.
Eline
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-fall
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! It’s suspenseful with a shocking twist at the end. Definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers.
Wall-to-wall books - wendy
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! Sus-pense-ful! I looked up the definition of suspenseful - causing a feeling of excitement because you are waiting for something to happen or are uncertain about what is going to happen. YEP! That was this book. I felt "excitement because you are waiting for something to happen" the whole last half of the book!

This was a tiny bit slower getting started but VERY quickly turned around. And definitely made up for it the last 2/3 of the book. I think I read the last half in one sitting. I coul
Radhive
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He wants to destroy her reputation.

He wants to destroy her life.

He wants to destroy . . . her.

When a commenter on Nessa’s blog starts harassing her online, Nessa shrugs it off. Trolls are a part of internet life. But eventually the troll begins
Kim Hamilton
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last 3 books I’ve read have been just meh so I was really craving a good, suspenseful mystery and "Body and Bone" by L.S. Hawker fit the bill to a T! The book focuses on a single mom full of secrets who has a music satellite radio show who is framed for the death of her crack-addicted, estranged husband. This thriller is a fast-paced, tightly-written, well-developed novel with great characters, heart-wrenching secrets, uncomfortable topics, dark secrets, shattered dreams, broken trust, death ...more
Knockin' Books
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Earlier this summer, I read LS Hawker’s debut novel, The Drowning Game and really liked it. The characters were quirky but also had real emotional depth and were easy to like. Although the characters in Body and Bone are genuine and authentic, they’re not so easy to like. As a reader, you want to root for them but they don’t always make it easy. I suspect the author would correctly point out that most people are a complicated mixture of admirable qualities, shameful vices and everything in betwe ...more
Teagan C.
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-owned
Body and Bone is a wonderful second book by new author L.S Hawker. I was really excited to read it after being surprised by how great her first novel, The Drowning Game, was. Lucky for me I wasn't disappointed by this second book. All in all, Hawker seems to have settled well into her writing style, and for me the novel feels a lot tighter than her first one, although I enjoyed both. At first I was a little thrown off by the town seemingly populated with only oddly-named characters, but I got us ...more
Pat
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining thriller. Ness Donati is a successful music blogger and satellite radio show host. She lives with her son and has a nanny called Isabeau (seriously?) She has just thrown her husband out for doing drugs in the family home.

But Nessa has many secrets and is determined to keep them. Things start to unravel, however, when she attracts a cyber-stalker. Someone is trolling the interweb trashing her reputation. Someone who knows her well. The tension is slowly ratcheted up until
Brenda
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not one for reading this genre of books. And I thought that the author did a good job at not knowing who the actual Troll was. I did find this enjoyable to read. I am not knowledgable on the subjects in the book so am wondering how far fetched it is.
I think the story was quite interesting and found Nessa annoying. Lol.
I do know some info on selective mutism. It usually appears outside the home and I liked how it was written within the home.
Deveney Stormes
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was hard to read, because it extremely close to home, but at the same time I couldn't put it down. Hawker's use of foreshadowing had me want to read on so I could find out what happened next! I ended up reading it in one day, which is unheard of for me. She draws you into the characters and their lives, which makes you cheer for the good guys or the supposed good guys, and want to destroy the bad ones, or supposed bad ones. You aren't sure which are which until the very end. Can't wait to r ...more
Rachelle
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.I rarely have a book that I can not finish, but was unable to finish this one. It did not keep my attention and I'm not sure why but I just could not get into it. It is possible I may be able to go back and read it. I hate not giving a good review but at this time I just can not.

• Two Sisters
  • The Secrets of an Inspirational (In-Spirit) Life
  • The Advocate's Felony (The Advocate #6)
  • Dead Center (The Rookie Club #1)
  • The Lost Girls
  • Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
  • Suitcase Girl (Abby Kane FBI Thriller #7; Suitcase Girl Trilogy #1)
  • Remedial Rocket Science (Chemistry Lessons, #1)
  • Too Close For Comfort (Knight & Culverhouse, #1)
  • Everything She Forgot
  • The Starter Wife
  • Poison Orchids
  • Bunker: Born to Fight (Bunker #1)
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Buck Fever (A Blanco County Mystery #1)
  • The Brigade: An Epic Story of Vengeance, Salvation & World War II
  • Don't Blink
  • The Accident
LS Hawker grew up in suburban Denver, indulging her worrisome obsession with true-crime books, and writing stories about anthropomorphic fruit and juvenile delinquents. She wrote her first novel at 14.

Armed with a B.S. in journalism from the University of Kansas, she had a radio show called “People Are So Stupid,” edited a trade magazine, and worked as a traveling Kmart portrait photographer, but

News & Interviews

“With her mother, the silences were more dangerous. Scarier. Because as a kid, when Mom pulled the love away, you knew you were lost. You knew you didn’t exist anymore. She had made you disappear” 0 likes