Start by marking “The Staff and the Blade (Irin Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Staff and the Blade (Irin Chronicles, #4)

The Staff and the Blade (Irin Chronicles #4)

Warriors. Lovers. Enemies. Legends.

Their union became pivotal in Irin history, but to understand Damien and Sari's ending, you must go back to their beginning. Four hundred years ago, a young singer and a hardened warrior met and loved each other, but their life was torn apart by violence.

Love. Desire. Grief. Betrayal.

No matter how much pain and anger stain their lives, b
Published July 12th 2016 by Elizabeth Hunter

Elizabeth Hunter
Apr 25, 2016 Elizabeth Hunter added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Staff and the Blade is now LIVE! I hope you grab your copy and enjoy Damien and Sari's story and the continuation of the Irin Chronicles world. It's a look at the past and a giant step into the future.

I'll also be turning on the "Ask the Author" feature on my dashboard now! So those of you with questions (about any book, but especially the Irin ones this week) can head over to my profile and ask away. I look forward to answering.

Have an amazing week!

Damien promo

Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/StBKindle
iBoo

Douglas Meeks
Jul 04, 2016 Douglas Meeks rated it it was amazing
Well let me start by disagreeing with the line in the synopsis that says "The Staff and the Blade is a four part stand-alone book". I cannot see anyone really enjoying this book to its fullest without a lot of prior knowledge from previous books in this series. Since the last book was a bit over a year ago I had to move some brain cells around to remember certain things and the action skips over events that took place in previous books so I do not see this book as any type of "stand alone" other ...more
Kara-karina
Jul 14, 2016 Kara-karina rated it it was amazing
"Someday you will love a man, and the fire of it will be a violent, dangerous thing."

If memory serves me well, this is a forth book by Elizabeth Hunter I've rated so high, and it was exquisite, one of her finest.

Damien and Sari's story takes place over hundreds of years, so this book is rightfully split into four parts.

DREAMS describes young Sari meeting and falling for Damien, it's romantic and lighthearted, sweet and lovely. GHOSTS strains the depth of their feelings for each other and it's h
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Like all the books in the series, simply Amazing! I've had this one tucked away on my Kindle...waiting to savor it like a fine wine. And like all the others, I loved it! These stories always challenge my heart, soul, and mind. I'm left with a feeling of fullness, contentment, and always...a longing for more. Beautifully done, Elizabeth Hunter! A Page Burning Must Read! (I'll try to return with a full review.)
Colleen Vanderlinden
Jun 11, 2016 Colleen Vanderlinden rated it it was amazing
Amazing, heart-wrenching story, beautifully written.

Longer review to come.
Victoria
Apr 26, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Beautifully written!

Ms. Hunter surprised me again with yet another fascinating story. I honestly wasn't looking forward to this novel as much (i know, Irin Chronicles is probably my least favorite series of hers), but as soon as I started reading I was truly captivated by Sari and Damien's journey. The last installment was reminiscent of Deborah Harkness's Shadow of Night (one of my personal favorites), so I couldn't help but devour this [The Staff and the Blade] novel. Grand love, epic battles
Kate's Corner

I am going to TRY convey how amazing this book is.

Our journey spans from Orkney to London to Norway to Istanbul and Prague. It was so exciting experiencing these different parts of the world. An upbeat book with fast paced action not once did the book come across as being dull. A world created that is beautiful and wild but filled with violence and danger.

I was intrigued by Sari and Damien and the palpable feelings they had for one another when I read about them in book three, if I remember corr
Meg at
Jul 12, 2016 Meg at rated it it was amazing
We all want someone to love us when we’re difficult to love.

We want someone who stands by us when no matter what we do, what we say…

…How far we go.

Damien and Sari have lived through the absolute worst life can throw at us. They have seen loved ones lost, their families ripped asunder, and their very world fracture.

And yet… love remains.

There are few contemporary authors that have the ability to not only sweep us into a story, but into a world we could believe exists congruently outside our doors
ShoSho
Oct 16, 2016 ShoSho rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, elib, x-2016
Fantastic! I really hope there will be more books in the series.
Kristopher
Mar 23, 2017 Kristopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Really good read to continue the series can't wait for the next boo this year. I really like these books
Sunny
4.5 stars. Epic and soul satisfying. More review to come.
Ren
4 stars

After I read the first trilogy of Irin Chronicles (The Scribe, The Singer and The Secret), didn't take me too long to read the next, The Staff and the Blade. Despite the description that said its consist of 4 stand alone novella, The Staff and The Blade can't be read as a stand alone. Since the MCs, Damien and Sari are important characters, their story told in the first three book, and this book will explain their background story. From the first they met, how they become estranged coup
Monadh
Jul 05, 2016 Monadh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
*Disclosure: ARC received from the author in exchange for a honest review. Review originally featured on Wicked Scribes*

A hauntingly beautiful tale of love, suffering, sacrifice, and ultimately forgiveness that spans centuries.

Ever since Sari and Damien did battle in a meadow in "The Singer" and Damien held back (some) so that Sari could vent her rage on him, I have been dying to read their story. As they both appear as important secondary characters in Malachi and Ava's story it is strongly rec
Susan Swanson
Jun 08, 2017 Susan Swanson rated it it was amazing
I just love this series. I love the characters and the world they inhabit. And this entry in the series does not disappoint. Taking a different approach than the first 3 books, this book jumps back in time to the beginning of the relationship between 2 secondary characters from the series. Diving deeply into the themes of grief and forgiveness, this book paints a relationship over the long term. There is certainly romance and politics and other themes common from the entire series. But this book ...more
Melindeeloo
Apr 26, 2016 Melindeeloo rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2016
4+ stars = I really liked it. From the previous Irin books we've seen Damien and Sari and already know that theirs was not an easy mating - they are mates and connected but not always together. Here their story is told in four 'books' (Dream, Ghosts, Memories, Visions.) The Staff and the Blade starts hundreds of years before the Irin trilogy (The Scribe, The Singer, and the Secret) and continues afterwards, with Memories and Visions overlapping the The Singer and the Secret just a bit.

At the st
Christy
Spectacular!
This Literary Life
Apr 28, 2016 This Literary Life rated it it was amazing
First let me say, I was given an ARC of The Staff and the Blade for an honest review.
I'm not actually sure where to begin with this review. I am a huge fan of all things Elizabeth Hunter, so when I got a chance to get my hands on this book I was over the moon. To begin, this is the fourth book in the Irin Chronicles series and it is a massive book, that only made me happier as I can't get enough of devouring her words. This is Damien and Sari's story. A while ago Ms. Hunter sent out an email ab
Amy
Jul 14, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
I have loved this series. Absolutely loved it. The very idea of soul mates...beings who are actually adept at clearly identifying their soul mates...it is incredibly romantic. My heart literally squeezes in my chest when I read how each of these couples discover one another. This particular installment contained the history of the remarkable relationship of two of the most fascinating characters, Damien and Sari. As the Watcher, Damien has served as the leader of our Irin characters. Sari has ta ...more
Tessa Suckoo
Jul 06, 2016 Tessa Suckoo rated it it was amazing
“I received an ARC for review courtesy of the author. This is an honest, unpaid review and my opinions are my own.”

“In order to know where you’re going, you’ve got to understand where you’ve been.” I’m not sure if this is a direct quote that I’ve heard before, or if I just made it up, but regardless, it’s very fitting for The Staff and the Blade.

Damien and Sari. *sigh* Throughout the Irin Chronicles series, we’ve heard bits and pieces of their union and how essential it was in Irin history. We’
Rosanna
Jul 12, 2016 Rosanna rated it it was amazing
I was anxious to read the story of Sari and Damien. I didn't know how the story would play out but of course Mrs Hunter played it beautifully.
I love the way the story started before they knew each other. How they slowly got to know each other. How their love became explosive once they did.
I'm happy that we get to meet Tala and her mate Alexandr. How we live through their story too. How important they truly were to the story line and how the death of Tala is deeply felt by both Sari and Damien.
Debra
Oct 26, 2016 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The series is phenomenal. It is an epic story of love, angst, tragedy and triumph told over a period of hundreds of years. In my humble opinion only, I do not feel it is a stand-alone book as it is marketed to be. It is the fourth story in The Irin Chronicles. I think it is advantageous to read one through three before reading The Staff and The Blade. Damien and Sari both are in the first three books and you get some good hints as to what happens to them. But, this world is co ...more
The Book Worm
Jul 01, 2016 The Book Worm rated it it was amazing
The Staff and the Blade is book four in the Irin Chronicles Series and, in my opinion, is the best one so far. It is an epic story of war, magic, love and pain that spans different worlds and several centuries.

The Staff and the Blade comes in four parts and is not necessarily an easy book to read. You should expect pain and violence, but also a love so strong that survives all obstacles. It is cleverly inter-weaved with the previous three books but can be perfectly read as a stand alone story (
Elizabeth Anne Kott
Jul 09, 2016 Elizabeth Anne Kott rated it it was amazing
Love, love, LOVED this book!
I really appreciate seeing the arc of Damien and Sari's love story that spans from before the other Irin books, through them, and past them so far. Divided into four parts, I loved each section for different reasons, and really enjoyed seeing the Irin history through a new perspective.
If you haven't read the other three Irin books yet, that is certainly where you should start; I don't think this book is intended to be read before the others or slipped into the overal
Patti
Jul 29, 2016 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Elizabeth....you never disappoint!!!

While some parts of this book were almost too painful to read...Sari and Damien's story was so intense, and beautiful. I loved how Elizabeth wove all of the other characters into this book as well...opening the door for future stories to be told.
Like most avid readers, there are several authors on my short list...Elizabeth is at the top! I honestly feel as if she shares a part of herself with every new book! Thank you!!!
Janine
May 26, 2016 Janine rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC for an honest review. And honestly, I LOVED it! Another amazing installment of the Irin Chronicles by Elizabeth Hunter! The metaphorical cup that is the Staff & The Blade is overflowing into the saucer with fire and passion. The journey to love for Damien and Sari held me captive from beginning to end. No surprise that it was an effortless read. It's Elizabeth Hunter, after all.
Fran Goldfinger
Jul 25, 2016 Fran Goldfinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best

This book by Elizabeth Hunter is one of her best. It filled in a lot of gaps that were missing from her Scribe books. It filled in a number of missing pieces and it went beyond the other ones. She fid a very good job of linking all of the jumps through history. I really enjoyed this book. You should totally read it if you liked her Scribe books.
Debi
May 22, 2016 Debi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, angels
I can't say anything that I haven't said about Elizabeth's books before. Amazing. Breathtaking. So much passion and love that I had to stretch my reading out more then usual. I hurt with Sari and Damien. The strength is amazing.
Tereza
Jul 16, 2016 Tereza rated it it was amazing
I never thought i would like a paranormal series but I love this one. It's more about the relationship between characters then the paranormal aspect of the book.
Candice
Jul 17, 2016 Candice rated it it was amazing
Excellent as always Elizabeth
Vanessa
Apr 25, 2016 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
This story really did show what an incredible author Elizabeth is. From writing emotional roller coaster stories that make you smile, laugh and cry to her ability to write overlapping whole scenes that took place in other books and adding more details and elements to make them new without ruining the integrity of the original scene. It’s incredible to read. Though I will say that I minded when the story jumped a little but I was filling in the blanks with what I knew had already happened at that ...more
  • Tall, Dark and Supernatural: Seven Deliciously Dangerous Heroes of Paranormal Romance
  • The Art Broker
  • White Knight (Cornerstone Run Trilogy, #3)
  • The String Keeper's Wish
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Damian (Stone Warriors, #1)
  • Wicked Abyss (Immortals After Dark, #18)
  • Lucky Number Six (The Fortune Cookies Chronicles #1)
  • The Ippos King (Wraith Kings, #3)
  • Our Own Brand of Heroine
  • Master of Monsters (Entwined Realms, #4)
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Distractions
  • Hex (The Evolution, #3)
  • Blade of Darkness (Immortal Guardians, #7)
  • Hold On to Me (Hearts of the South, #3)
  • A Crown of Bitter Orange (La Vie en Roses, #3)
  • Four Play (Cue Ball Mysteries,#4)
Elizabeth Hunter is a contemporary fantasy and romance author. She is a graduate of the University of Houston Honors College and a former English teacher.

She currently lives in Central California with her son, two very ineffective canine assistants, and a pitifully empty fish tank.

She is the author of the Elemental Mysteries and Elemental World series, the Irin Chronicles, the Cambio Springs Myste
More about Elizabeth Hunter...

Irin Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1)
  • The Singer (Irin Chronicles, #2)
  • The Secret (Irin Chronicles, #3)
  • The Silent (Irin Chronicles, #5)

“I can wander the world for the rest of my life. The only home I need is you.” 2 likes