Start by marking “Knife Edge (Noughts & Crosses, #2)” as Want to Read:
Knife Edge (Noughts & Crosses, #2)

Knife Edge

(Noughts and Crosses #2)

WHEN TRUTH AND JUSTICE ARE NO LONGER BLACK AND WHITE ISSUES . . .

Sephy is a Cross, one of the privileged in a society where the ruling Crosses treat the pale-skinned noughts as inferiors. But her baby daughter has a nought father . . . Jude is a Nought. Eaten up with bitterness, he blames Sephy for the terrible losses his family has suffered . . .

Now Jude's life rests on a
Published June 30th 2005 by Corgi Childrens (first published August 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Knife Edge, please sign up.
Lila It does mention Callum a lot, so if you are 10/10 cryer, then you will only cry a bit : it's not that sad. And it is really good, a definite…moreIt does mention Callum a lot, so if you are 10/10 cryer, then you will only cry a bit : it's not that sad. And it is really good, a definite recommendation. 😃
(less)

Reading Corner
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Wow.This book is amazing and I'd say it's even better than the first book.I literally flew through this book in one sitting because I didn't want to put it down till I finished it.

Malorie Blackman's writing skills are phenomenal,she manages to completely submerge you into her fictional world and continuously pull on your heart strings.The characters complexity is just fantastic and I even felt pity for the worst characters as my opinions of the characters kept altering.

I loved every narrative as
James
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in a dystopian 21st century near future British society – the ‘Noughts & Crosses’ award winning series of novels (initially a trilogy, subsequently extended to a quadrilogy) opens following a period of alternative history, a post slavery period where the white population (Noughts) have been enslaved by the ruling black elite. Now post emancipation, it is the non-black population who are distinctly disadvantaged and impoverished in this alternative future society which is ruled and contro ...more
Anne
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heartwrenching
MY FEELS OH MY GOSH MY FEELS! This is absolutely the most heart wrenching, gut tearing, depressing novel I have ever been blessed to read! Literally for the first half of the novel I was just sitting here like:

AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN MY VISION STARTED TO GET BLURRY AND THE GATEWAY OF TEARS JUST FLOODED OUT AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TRIED- I COULDN'T STOP THEM! SERIOUSLY , THIS BOOK WAS THE DEATH OF ME I JUST SAT IN MY ROOM AT 4:30 IN THE MORNING WITH A BOX OF TISSUES AND UGLY CRYING AND NOT BEIN
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Review thoughts to come 8
Jack
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
5/5 because this book is perfect! There was nothing I could fault and it's definitely the best book I've read in a long time. I know a lot of people say this isn't as good as the first, but I adored it and actually thought that it was maybe better because of the further development of the characters and the plot; I was hooked!

CHARACTERS:
+ Sephy is such an incredible character - how she thinks about everything, how she acts about everything. She dragged me into her emotions and I really felt for
Shakira
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.75/5... I'd give it a 95%

This book was amazing! For those who have read Noughts and Crosses and decided not to continue on with the series, I completely understand why (plot-wise) but also because Noughts and Crosses has such a good and full story arc that it works 100% fine as a stand alone novel. I myself was considering leaving it at that because I loved that book and it felt very complete so I wasn't really sure if I was going to read this book. I am so glad that I did.

As I mentioned earli
Rosanna Threakall
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this and it's a really good sequel!

I was totally hooked this weekend as you will see by how much of this series I managed to read.
Gordon Ambos
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Leider nicht ganz so gut wie Teil 1. Es ist nicht viel passiert und ich fand Sephys Handlungen teilweise mehr als unüberlegt. Aufgeregt haben mich auch die Passagen aus Jonathans Sicht. Wenn das mal nicht das abgefuckteste Arschloch ist, über den ich je gelesen habe, dann weiß ich auch nicht. Das Ende war natürlich wieder krass und ich hoffe, dass sich die Geschichte in Teil 3 zum Positiven wendet und alles gut wird.
Rikke
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is actually better than the first book. Which is great, of course, but I found one of the characters overly disagreeable, and that kinda influenced my liking of the story as a whole. And yet, it's cruel, almost unbearable at times, and it's free of romance, Checkmate will hopefully be less sinister, although I'm aware the setting isn't meant to be pleasant.
Simone
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, discrimination
I’ve never been so unsure whether or not to continue a series…

Compared to the first book, Noughts and Crosses, this one was just BORING! Not only that, but what’s up with sudden poetic, lyrical snippets that have been added? It’s airy-fairy nonsense. I highly doubt most readers read lyrics in fiction novels.

This sequel also introduced newspaper clippings before reach section which did not add to the story, but seemed to be purely for world-building in a world that we are already familiar with be
Martha Dawson
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I cried at the end... I cant believe it! If you haven't read this series already (I know I'm late to the party) then WHY NOT!?!
Char
For my pre read thoughts and reasons for rating please visit my blog: From the Shadows I Review

This was not on the same level as ‘Noughts and Crosses’. The writing was good, but the story felt lost for me. It wasn’t the same. And while I get that we’re dealing with the aftermath of the conclusion of book one, I feel that this doesn’t do it justice. I found myself dragging myself through the book, when with the predecessor I was racing through the book, praying that it wouldn’t end.

Jude – Jude
Slyth
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Je vais la faire en français. Je n'aurais jamais assez de mots en anglais pour exprimer tout ce que j'ai ressenti. C'était tellement violent, bouleversant, et j'en reste sur le cul.
C'est une lecture dont j'en attendais beaucoup après le un. Et je l'ai trouvé beaucoup plus explosif, meilleur. Emplie de haine, de passion, de désespoir, d'humanité (malheureusement, rarement dans ses bons jours), et d'amour. J'ai été remué, sans cesse. Chaque page, chaque mot, a été un coup de poignard dans le cœur.
Josie
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-ever
Cliona
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WARNING: Spoilers alert. Don't read this review if you haven't read the first book.

I was so excited, and eager to begin reading this book when my mum brought it home from the library. If you have read my review of Noughts and Crosses, you will know how much I loved it, and so obviously I wanted to read this one. Who doesn't love a good sequel?! And it certainly didn't disappoint! Knife Edge had some wonderful new characters, and plot twists all the way through, so it kept me on the edge of my se
Elena
NO TIME FOR A REVIEW. GOTTA. FINISH. THIS. SERIES.
Morgane Moncomble
Holy. shit.

Every time I think I know what will happen, Malorie Blackman does WORSE.
I'm speechless.
-Sakura-
that cliffhanger tho. All the books on my tbr have been shoved aside to finish this series because i need to know what the hell happened.
Becky Lockyer
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic sequel in a timeless and moving series. It’s gripping, and interesting with excellent exploration of characters. A very emotive continuation of an important and topical subject.
Carolyn  Storer
Aug 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is the second novel in the Noughts & Crosses series and as with the first book it is wonderfully written with well rounded and interesting characters and a story which pulls you in from the first few pages. The voices of each character alternate between chapters, and along with Sephy a black-skinned Cross, we see the world through the eyes of Jude, a white-skinned nought and Callum's brother, and occasionally from Sephy's mother, Jasmine, and Jude's mother, Meggie.

The story continues on
Crazyjamie
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Noughts & Crosses was an excellent book. Not only did it surprise me in terms of its quality, but it struck that perfect balance between readability and grit. I was therefore looking forward to the second in the series.

This book shifts its focus slightly, necessarily so due to the ending of the first book. The main characters are now Sephy and Jude, Callum's brother. Both continue to fight their way through life in a very racist world, with Judge continuing his role as a 'liberation fighter
Katie
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Thought provoking
2. Strong but not preachy message
3. Deal with some very controversial issues superbly

Just utterly amazing! To see my full review, click the link to my blog below:

Abigail Carter
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
(4.75 stars)
Hannah Rae
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, young-adult
I find many series begin with a book that’s so outstanding and fresh that creates an illusion to the reader that the rest of the books in the series are going to be the same. I wasn’t too sure where this book was going, but I will stick with the series due to the important issues being raised within it. I didn’t like the band scenes, I understand that they were part of Sephy’s development and growth after the death of Callum, but these scenes bored me. I actually love Jude as the Villain in this ...more
Mina
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Did it really need a sequel? The story is a bit all over the place and makes me dislike Jules a lot.
I don't think it added much but a revengeful plan, though I didn't think hatred went that deep. Its once again a well written book with a strong character falling into depression. All the books are very symbolic and it is a cleverly thought out plan. however I think it didn't hit me as much as other people
Emily
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sephy Hadley is one of my fave characters of all time and this entire book my heart aches for all she's lost and all she's trying to do; only re-reading it at the age I am now have I realised just how young she is and how much weight is on her brave little shoulders.

Jude is such a conundrum - he's an awful guy there's no denying that but the loss and pain and hurt he's suffered in his short life and the way he's been treated are a direct correlation of that. He makes incredibly bad choices but
Lauren
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't get enough of this series. I absolutely love it, I haven't been this compelled to read a series so much in a long time. This one was better than the first if that is even possible and all the way through you get the thought of just one more chapter, just one more last one then you will stop. I would recommend this series to everyone and it has made me want to read everything Malorie Blackman has written and will write in the future. This is becoming my favourite series in a long time!
15PinderF
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked it but I preferred noughts and crosses because I felt more link to the characters and I had more emotions however I liked the book anyhow and can't wait to read checkmate
Ross Duffy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read! I loved seeing Jude’s perspective as well as Meggie! This book definitely see a more in depth look to sephy. Also it kept my heart racing throughout.
16SimpsonL
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book in the Noughts and Crosses series. I really enjoyed how the book was told from the perspectives of Sephy a cross and Jude, a nought. It really gives you an insight into what life was like from the opposite ends of the social rankings. It was a real page turner and I didn’t want to put it down! To conclude I highly recommend this book.
Callum's letter 8 70 Aug 08, 2018 08:30AM
Around the Year i...: Knife Edge, by Malorie Blackman 1 12 Oct 16, 2017 03:44PM
Do you feel sympahy for Sephy? 1 31 Mar 28, 2014 11:32AM
Reading it before Noughts & Crosses ? 5 20 Oct 28, 2013 09:25AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Blood Ransom (Blood Ties, #2)
  • Looking for JJ (Jennifer Jones, #1)
  • Everybody Jam
  • Out of the Ashes
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Fierce September (Juno, #2)
  • A Voice in the Distance (Flynn Laukonen, #2)
  • Ruby Red
  • The Legacy (The Declaration, #3)
  • Megan 2 (Megan, #2)
  • The Moment (Lila, #0.6)
  • Sharp North (Sharp North, #1)
An award-winning children's author, Malorie Blackman was honoured with an OBE in 2008. Her work has been adapted for TV and stage.

More information available at:
Myspace
British Council: Contemporary Authors
British Council: Encompass Culture
Channel 4 Learning: Book Box

Noughts and Crosses (5 books)
  • Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1)
  • Checkmate (Noughts & Crosses, #3)
  • Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses, #4)
  • Crossfire (Noughts & Crosses, #5)
“Because my mum and dad brought me up to believe that people are different but equal. And that I should treat everyone, no matter who, with the same respect I'd like to be shown.” 29 likes
“When did we stop being people, being human?” 20 likes