Start by marking “Two By Two” as Want to Read:
Two By Two

Two By Two

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  23,107 Ratings  ·  2,097 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Nicholas Sparks returns with an emotionally powerful story of unconditional love, its challenges, its risks and most of all, its rewards.

At 32, Russell Green has it all: a stunning wife, a lovable six year-old daughter, a successful career as an advertising executive and an expansive home in Charlotte. He is living the dream, and his ma
Published October 4th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Two By Two, please sign up.

Courtney I also agree with Karen. This book was very disappointing. I felt the same way about God being dismissed and berated; I honestly thought that Nicholas…moreI also agree with Karen. This book was very disappointing. I felt the same way about God being dismissed and berated; I honestly thought that Nicholas Sparks lived a life of faith with God in his life. You can love your daughter and still love God and attend church. The entire book was a downer for me. The editing was terrible. Also, repetition of the same word or adverb in a sentence, saying it was the day before Christmas break (Monday) on one page and on the next page repeating it was the day before Christmas break (Tuesday). How were these mistakes not found? I'm far from being an English major and certain that I make grammatical errors from time to time, but these were elementary! I can't be the only one that felt this way. Between the story line being slow moving, poor editing, and most importantly, God, this book was highly disappointing. It seems from reading many reviews that a majority of loyal readers have felt this way. The unexpected twist over the last 100 pages of the book didn't even fit into the story line. He could have ended the book at least on a somewhat happier note for those of us who pushed through the 482 pages. **Spoiler alert* We only hoped that Marge would find God toward the end of her struggle. Yet London even knows to mention Him, however, Russ doesn't know how to respond. Too much of a worldly perspective going on there. I pray that Nicholas Sparks comes to term with his faith if it has been lost. He should try to stand out as an author as he once did and not try to be mainstream like so many authors who think that this life is all that we have. On a side note, LOVED London. She was such a sweet little girl, his portrayal of her was nice. However, he even made a few mistakes here- Russ going out for 5 mile jogs in the morning as a single dad and no mention of childcare? Who watched her while she was still sleeping?? Also, leaving a 5 year old alone in the car while you run into the dance studio. Come on. At least tell the reader that you're bringing her into the lobby of the studio. These details may seem irrelevant, I know it's only a book, but if we could hear what they ate for dinner every night at least let us feel that London was being watched! I've read every one of his books, however, unless he returns to the author that he once was, I'm done. His last few books have been more violent, while I didn't enjoy that, I was able to overlook it more than several things in this one. He may be losing several of his long term fans for a new audience, I guess he is trying to capture the next generation and sadly for those of us who were his first fans back in college in the 90's he may be struggling to keep us. I feel like I lost my favorite author after this one. :((less)

Melissa
Oct 06, 2016 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-for-me, 2016
Just know, as a longtime fan of Nicholas Sparks, this wasn’t an easy review to write. And trying to sugarcoat my feelings seems pointless. So, I'm just going to put it out there - I didn't like this book.

Similar to See Me, this has an entirely different feel than his greats. I think he deserves some credit for branching out and trying something new - telling the story of a couple falling apart, rather than falling in love. But, it didn’t work for me. What I couldn’t ignore was my inability to c
Tanya
Jan 18, 2017 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017
4.5 Stars!!! I don't know if I would label this a romance book because it was so much more than that. Fantastic book!!!
Sheyla ✎
Sep 25, 2016 Sheyla ✎ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016

“Two by two,”
“they came in pairs, from all over the world.”

It took me a few hours to digest the story after I finished reading it.

It was a novel full of heartbreak, at times bittersweet but also with a great amount of love and healing power.

“It’s about someone who walks into your life, says I’m here for you, and then proves it.”

The tale begins with a recently married young couple, Russell and Vivian Green, who are expecting a baby. When London is born Russell couldn't be happier to have
KAS
Nov 03, 2016 KAS rated it liked it
Two "buy" Two recommendation. .....

Romance Lovers - BUY - Something Else

I hesitated reading this book due to the many one star reviews, but I am a loyal fan and have read everything Nicholas Sparks has ever published and didn't want to stop now. Yes, in agreement with many reviews, this book is a total departure from his usual guy meets girl and falls in love premise. So it was a difficult one for me to rate, waffling between two and three stars, because darn it, I expect romance from Sparks! In
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
3.5 stars https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com/
Two by Two, the latest release from international bestselling author Nicholas Sparks, was an auto buy for me. I always rush out to buy each new book Sparks releases, as his familiar love lost – love found formula, with a few dips in the road thrown in for good measure, gets me every time. Two by Two does contain the classic ingredients that we have come to love about a Nicholas Sparks novel but Two by Two delivers the final product in a slightly di
Bj
4.5 "Putting Life & Love in Perspective" Stars for the story!

Please note this book will make you cry! And though there is a romance embedded in this story, this book should really be classified as fiction (like women's fiction but without any humor). Perhaps what struck me the most is that: although it's told from a man's perspective, it could equally apply to a woman.

To get the full benefit of this story, however, you must will yourself through what will inevitably feel like a very difficu
Kathryn
4.5 stars.While it is many years since I read a book by Nicholas Sparks, I am very happy to have picked up Two by Two, it kept me reading into the night until I had finished it.

It is narrated by Russell - husband to Vivian and father of London. He is a wonderful father, but somehow his relationship with Vivian has been in a bit of free fall, without his awareness. He is a romantic, a people pleaser - he is always trying to give her what she wants and has started to fail miserably. It seems he is
Angel Erin
Dec 19, 2016 Angel Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, dnf
I won this book in the Goodreads giveaways.

Sadly, I had to DNF it. I've enjoyed all the other Sparks books I've read so far, but this one isn't for me. Honestly it's dull. I can't get into it and I hate the characters. Russell is an annoying people pleaser and his wife Vivian is a...well...rhymes with witch. The plot drags and I just had to give up on it. I'm sad because I really wanted to like this one, but it's just not for me.
Erin Clemence
Jan 21, 2017 Erin Clemence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Two by Two” is the latest novel by Nicholas Sparks. In true Sparks’ fashion, it is romantic, sappy and predictable. It is also, delightfully charming.
In “Two by Two”, we are introduced to Russell Green, an advertising executive who has a happy and seemingly perfect life with his gorgeous wife and young daughter. Soon though, Russell’s life is turned upside down when he loses his job and his wife files for divorce. Russell is soon the sole caregiver of his young daughter, and as he tries to bal
Dale Harcombe
Jan 30, 2017 Dale Harcombe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you go into this book expecting the usual type of Nicholas Sparks’ love story, then you may be disappointed. It took me a little while to settle into this one. Initially when I met Russ, in the incident when Vivian was having the baby, I thought he was a bit of a vain idiot. However as the story goes on and I learned more about Russ, I came to see a different side of him. And Vivian. The world changes for Russ when he decides to go out on his own and launch his own advertising business. It do ...more
Katie Bananas
I love most of the Nicholas Sparks novels. As renowned as he is in his storytelling talent of converting his books into worthy and amazing tear-filled movies, I was very disappointed with this one.

I wouldn't exactly say that it's not worth reading, because it does have a lot of good marital and family building advice; I just thought the story took a turn.

All of Sparks' characters usually have personality to them to give fervor for further reading; yet, Russel gave me a slump in the book by pag
Leslie
May 04, 2016 Leslie rated it it was ok
Coming from a die hard NS fan (me!) - I have to say this one truly disappointed me. What has happened to Nick?
Kaitlyn Ennis
Oct 15, 2016 Kaitlyn Ennis rated it it was ok
This is a difficult review to write. I've been a lifelong fan of Mr. Sparks and have actually read every single one of his books. While they definitely aren't my favorite reads of all time, I have come to appreciate his work for what it is-- a simple, basic and lovely story. However, there are things about this book that I just can't look past.

It's his longest book, and yet the book that didn't need to be even half as long. While I ended up liking Russ and London in the end, the entire first ha
Katie
Oct 06, 2016 Katie rated it did not like it
Didn't even finish this book. Very disappointing.
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

description

There is SO much I could/would/want to say about this book.
I'm trying to keep it short...ish. ☺

First of all we have to remember that this is the 2nd NS books post divorce. And just like the last one See Me, this one, too, is very different from his older books.
You usually could depend on a NS book to be moving, sad, romantic, adorable and people were always dying. And a lot of that we have in this new book too. But it's still completely different.

I read a few low-star ratings before going in and
Maria
4.5*
Muito bom

Já há algum tempo que não pegava num livro de Nicholas Sparks, mas depois de lida a sinopse e as primeiras páginas de Só Nós Dois fiquei completamente rendida à história de London, Vivian e Russel.

Mais do que um romance lamechas a que Sparks já nos habituou, este seu novo livro é realmente tocante porque aborda vários temas como amor, traição, dedicação a um filho, doença... chorei em algumas partes (felizmente estava sozinha), irritei-me outras tantas (a Vivian consegue ser exaspe
Jenny Jo Weir
I hate that heifer with a passion I cannot express with words alone. Good thing Vivian is a fictional character because I would so go hunt her down and dog slap her! Ugh! HATE. HER.

OK, now that I've got that out of the way, I feel a tiny bit better. This book is so good! Really! It's fiction but it's not. It's incredibly realistic and very believable. It's NOT a romance book though. If you are looking for a love story, this book is not for you. But if you're looking for a great book about a fat
Tiffany
Oct 17, 2016 Tiffany rated it did not like it
I think this book is probably a result of NS signing a 3 book contract or something and even though im sure he knew it was not that good (compared to his previous books, not including SEE ME because that was awful too) he was more than likely under pressure to produce something and quickly. I read the E-book and the editing was sooooooooo freaking awful that it actually pissed me the F#&*! off that someone didn't take the time to edit the book properly, there were sooooooo many mistakes, inc ...more
Terrie
Nov 04, 2016 Terrie rated it really liked it
I read this a month ago and barely remember anything about it.
Gina *loves sunshine*
I'm giving this 2 stars strictly because he's Nicholas Sparks and 20 years ago I read the Notebook and Message in a bottle and he captured everything I wanted in a romance...and he is a male writer, I was sold! I have read almost every one of his books since - some were awesome and some were not but he still remained the King of Romance. His Memoir was one of my favorites!

Now, I don't want to pick on his personal life - but I feel like it's so relevant to where the writing is at right now. Sorry
Sasha-Lee Jones
Oct 07, 2016 Sasha-Lee Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I honestly don't know how to feel about this one I felt like I reading and reading but actually getting nothing in return from the book I felt like i was waiting patiently for Russ to stand up to Vivian it was practically like abuse they was she treated him it continued throughout the book and also the fact that he just listened and practically agreed with her made it worst it felt like she was just making all the decisions and at the end she got her way as well I was waiting for something t ...more
Lyn
Oct 16, 2016 Lyn rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
Glad I got this at the library and did not waste the money on purchasing it. Probably one of the more disappointing books by Sparks. Long and drawn out and the male character was sooo wimpy, I thought. I basically made myself finish it.
Melissa
Nov 03, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
I’ve been a Nicholas Sparks fan since the late ‘90s, so I was excited to read Two By Two as soon as I could get my hands on it. Compared to his high intensity novels, such as Safe Haven and See Me, this one is more subdued. There are some heavy and sad moments, but there’s a balance of joy and romance, as well. He addresses the family dynamic from the man’s perspective and explores the things that can go awry when trying to find balance.

Russ suddenly finds himself in the role of “Mr. Mom” (reme
Jacque
When the opportunity to review a new book by Nicholas Sparks presented itself, I jumped all over it. All my friends rave about his books, which had me firmly moving him on my want-to-read author list. Their sighing and swooning over his other titles had me begging to read him. So here I am with a copy of Two By Two to read, excited and ready to fall in love. I begin to read and...

I'm bored. To be exact, I am really bored. The first few chapters were okay, getting to know Russell, getting into th
Fabi
Nov 10, 2016 Fabi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este livro foi dos melhores livros que li este ano. É um livro que fala de amor...amor entre marido e mulher,amor entre pai e filha,amor entre mãe e filha,amor entre irmãos...enfim todo o tipo de amor.Simplesmente adorei e fez-me pensar em muitas coisas importantes que por vezes nós esquecemos...Recomendo
Christine
Sep 17, 2016 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
WOW! This is my first read from this author, when looking him up I saw he had written "The notebook" and other best sellers.
I was hooked from the start, Russ Green spoke to me, and I found myself feeling the same way of our past and regrets. He spoke to me honestly and I could connect. As the story went on I found myself getting mad at him for letting people walk of him. I know what it's like to be too nice, to want to avoid conflict to the extreme of letting others win. I found my shoulders we
Anne OK
Oct 15, 2016 Anne OK rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-reads
Not always a big fan of Nicholas Sparks, but I stepped off my trodden path with the temptation of something a little different from his usual. I wasn’t really happy with my choice. Too much disconnection and not enough connection for me. The characters were weak and didn't grab me from start to finish. The father/daughter relationship could have been presented with a little more definition. Frankly, this one just fell flat.
Lois Rixner
Oct 31, 2016 Lois Rixner rated it it was ok
I have finally finished this book! See below for my thoughts at the finish. (I wrote a piece of my review before I was even half done)

I am currently on page 203 of this book and find it very depressing. In the first 125 pages we watched Russell Green's life fall apart - nothing positive happened! He is now beginning to rebuild his life, but the ultimate blow which we can all see coming hasn't happened yet.

When I read the acknowledgements, I noticed that Mr. Sparks thanks all 5 of his children b
Nancy The book junkie
Dec 10, 2016 Nancy The book junkie rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.75/5

Review to come!
Judy Collins
Southern romantic storyteller, Nicholas Sparks returns following See Me (2015) with his special anniversary 20th book, TWO BY TWO. From love and loss, joy and pain, a love story, a special bond between father and daughter, a marriage, family ties, divorce, and as always, a death.

Before discussing Two by Two, wanted to take the opportunity to send a huge "shout out" congratulations to Nicholas Sparks, marking 20 years of sentimental award-winning love stories!

He continues to "awe inspire"
Choose Your Own A...: Enjoyed! 2 6 Mar 09, 2017 05:20PM
Around the Year i...: Two by Two, by Nicholas Sparks 5 20 Jan 24, 2017 09:54PM
Goodreads Librari...: Combine book (mistakes) 2 19 Jan 06, 2017 11:46AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect "page" count on Audio Book 12 40 Dec 19, 2016 09:35PM
  • Small Great Things
  • Home
  • Long Way Gone
  • Sting
  • One Less Problem Without You
  • This Was a Man (The Clifton Chronicles, #7)
  • After Tomorrow (One Day Soon, #1.5)
  • The Whistler
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
  • Winter Storms (Winter, #3)
  • The Whole Town's Talking
  • The Boy Is Back
  • Searching for Disaster (Searching For, #4.6)
  • Cross the Line (Alex Cross, #24)
  • Damaged (Rosato & DiNunzio, #4)
  • The Littlest Bigfoot
  • Rushing Waters
  • The Witch and the Dead (A Wishcraft Mystery, #7)

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

More about Nicholas Sparks...

“If it comes, let it come. If it stays, let it stay. If it goes, let it go.” 12 likes
“Guilt, in other words, isn’t always wasted. It can keep us from making the same mistake twice.” 8 likes