Start by marking “Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy” as Want to Read:

Domino: The Book of Decorating cracks the code to creating a beautiful home, bringing together inspiring rooms, how-to advice and insiders' secrets from today's premier tastemakers in an indispensable style manual. The editors take readers room by room, tapping the best ideas from domino magazine and culling insights from their own experiences. With an eye to making design ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Domino, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Domino

Start your review of Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home That Makes You Happy
Garconniere
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
really great for absolute beginners or people with a lot of cash. so many of the tips (photographing/measuring EVERYTHING in your house) are valuable but completely unrealistic and incredibly time-consuming. as someone part-way through intensive renovations/slight redecorating, i thought it would be a nice guideline but just too unrealistic for my broke ass lifestyle.

and i know domino is not the only design magazine out there with this problem, but fuck it is SO. WHITE. which leaves an even
Erika RS
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, physical
The authors wrote this book to help teach you how to "read" a room. As such, this is a book that has significantly more pictures than text (not a bad thing, in this case).

The authors go through each of the major rooms in the home. Each chapter contains several examples and breaks down what makes that room work. They talk about the important considerations for choosing the major pieces for that room and give a number of tips, all illustrated. I can almost guarantee that you won't like everything
LATOYA JOVENA
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have realized that my house does not have enough chandeliers and will correct this immediately. This book was full of beautiful pictures and inexpensive ideas, though expensive ideas were present as well. I recommend everyone read this before decorating in order to avoid creating a space you hate.
Patty
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this is a great first decorating/design book to give to someone (or yourself) as a gift. It goes through the basics such as chapter 1 - Getting Started - sharing ways to find inspiration through magazines and pinterest, and through that search finding out just what your individual style is and then how to think about the actual space you have and to take an inventory of what you already have and then to draw up a budget and come up with the items that will give you that room that you are ...more
Brittney
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Reminded me exactly of flipping through Domino Magazine in 2008 - colorful and fun. The bathroom chapter was my favorite. Ha.
Manik Sukoco
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is hands down the best design book that I have ever had the privilege to read! This book is visual yet packed with practical tips. I really enjoyed the cheat sheets provided to help one design their home just like a professional! I also enjoyed how the book followed the high/low method a lot of the time, which means splurging on a couple of items and then finding the rest on the cheap. The ideas in the book apply to everyone, not just the design professional. This book is a must buy ...more
Alexandra
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to update their home and make it cosy
Shelves: home-and-design
wooondeeeerrrful.
This book is absolutely amazing. To all the readers who find that regular decorating books and magazines make everything looking sterile and impossible for their own space: this is your book.
It helps you approach each room by pointing out all important information that you should consider before buying new stuff.
Also it has great ideas and tricks that are affordable and for everyone (also special sections for renters).
I keep looking back in to find new ideas and recommend it
Gwen
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really did cry when they stopped publishing this magazine. Thank Durga there is a book. Many decorating books are full of dated photos of impractical over decorated rooms with fake plants. This book shows real homes with classic, fun livable designs...not to mention TONS of practical advice and SOURCES!! for many of the things shown. Love is not a strong enough word.
Kayla Cagan
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a designer, nor do I have a designer's eye. I'm not a gardener, nor do I have a green thumb.

So I found this guide, just like Domino Magazine in it's heyday, super helpful and written in an accessible language that didn't make me feel like a moron. I love the contemporary styling, and the way the book explains why certain looks/time periods/colors work well together to create a tone and feeling and mood.

I would have loved to have been born with a designer's fearlessness and wit, but
Rebecca
I don't know why I love looking at decorating books so much, but I do! This is one of my favorites so far; if I really was decorating a house, this provides great step-by-step instructions for the average person, and explains the different types and shapes of just about everything -- so it's practical as well as eye candy. Makes me wish I'd read domino magazine before it went under! Tidbits:

p. 127 - I didn't know there was such a thing as an all-in-one unit (stovetop, fridge, sink, and storage)
Mads P.
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This book has some really helpful, timeless tips about how to arrange furniture, how to hang curtains, things to watch out for when purchasing different types of couches, etc. The thing I didn't like was that a lot of the decor was truly tacky: zebra wallpaper, python wallpaper in a kitchen, giant flower-power style daisies painted on a wooden floor, a huge moth on the wall, a peacock mirror, a room filled with American flags... so over the top. There was also some tasteful decor that was ...more
Amanda
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was a fun and quick read - it is a nice coffee-table book. I appreciated the breakdown of major pieces and what they pair well with. It would have been rated higher for me if there was a more thorough representation of aesthetics; I feel like the majority of the book is very modern design and it would have been nice to have seen a couple of examples of more traditional/french country/classic type of designs. For someone who is just beginning to establish their aesthetic, it is good for ...more
Lauren
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, design
I especially found the children's room section and the "black book" directory at the end of the book listing companies (and how (in)expensive they were) helpful. I jotted down furniture, flooring, lighting, etc. companies to check out in the future from the list. On the whole, it would have been more helpful to me if the author had annotated throughout the entire book where certain items came from so I could look them up.
Kate
This one's interesting enough to flip through, but so specialized with distinct styles (and most of it's not really for people on a budget.)

I liked the decorating tips, but have a hard time focusing on such unattainable appearances and styles.
Ligaya
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok, but seems dated 11 years out from its original publication date. Seems very NYC-centric with high ceilings and interesting moldings. Lots of photos, though some seem to disguise as much as reveal. I found "The Domino Effect" stories somewhat off-putting and pretentious. Really gross, page 132, with woman's legs up on the dining table (My Kitchen: It's actually a high-functioning studio apartment...). Well, uh, lucky you. This decorating book DID seem to photograph rooms that were actually ...more
Maria
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: homemaking, design
Their method to explain why certain pieces go together is to show some pictures, describe each piece with something vague like "gravitas" or "luxe", and assert that each piece either harmonizes or offsets the others. Trying to use it as a remedial aid for those of us who utterly lack style is very reminiscent of "Step 1, draw a line. Step 2, draw 2 circles. Step 3, draw the rest of the animal" drawing guides.

The pictures are nice to look at.

In conclusion, Domino: The Book of Decorating is a land
Angela
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: life-helps
I didn't find this book helpful. The majority of the designs weren't my taste. Although they showed modern, traditional, antique, etc styles, the way they were shown didn't make sense to me and seemed really over the top. And they talked about making rooms liveable and comfortable but everything looked straight from a design magazine (which makes sense given the contributors).
The design handbook in the back was the most practical part of the whole book. It gave explanations for different types
Emily
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book had lots of decor ideas, though not all of them were especially practical for someone with a rental property or limited budget. The styles of individual pieces of furniture were discussed so the reader could find what style suited them best. The resource section at the back was huge and quite thorough. This strikes me as a good inspiration book with good tips for those wanting to impress others with their space.
Monica
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would be five stars if I had the budget it writes to, the large spaces it speaks too, and the free time it requires to put it all into play. Inspirational ideas, sound tips, good starting points, decorating philosophy you can borrow and gorgeous photographs of lovely interiors make this book a pleasure to read, flip through, and repeat.
Emily
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved all the resources at the back that talked about different types of curtains and sofas and such. And I loved all the examples of great looking rooms and the explanations for why they worked. I can't wait to redecorate my own place.
Julia
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - this was useful for getting ideas... it wasn't as in-depth or inspiring as the more recent domino style book. BUT it did lead me to actually go and check out their website for more tips/tricks.
Karen Drake
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was so-so for me. Perhaps a bit more high fashion than I lean, but there are some good tips even if the styles presented in the photos aren't exactly mine. I think the guide at the end, however, is AWESOME. All the basic decor stuff you need to know in one good place.
Lindsay Wilcox
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
Eh. Most of the photos in this book were of outlandish designer homes, and the designs would be difficult to achieve. It also seems really dated. I did like the different layouts and styles of furniture and thought they were helpful.
Elena Li
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
A lot of nice pictures, but eventually no guidance on how to put the room together, how to choose color scheme or accessorize. Not everyone leaves at Manhattan with 5 m ceilings :)
A what is that with "masculine" and "feminine" in every other sentence? Me likey gender neutrality!
Hengky Ordinary
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Erin
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I am going to need a lot more money for all the ideas I now have.
Melissa
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well organized home decorating guide book. Great for figuring out decorating formula's but the inspiration pictures were not my style.
Kayla
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
A good resource, but maybe a bit too high-brow for me, especially at my current stage of life. I may come back to it for design inspiration and guidance in the future, but then again, I may not.
Lisa Anita
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-and-design
This book feels a little dated already. Great resource for basic terminology of interior design and standard measurements in the U.S.
Diana
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, home-diy
Felt dated (is 11 years old) and I didn't get much from it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Elements of Style: Designing a Home  a Life
  • Apartment Therapy: Complete and Happy Home
  • Design Mom: A Room-by-Room Guide to Living Well with Kids
  • The New Bohemians: Cool and Collected Homes
  • A Beautiful Mess Happy Handmade Home: Painting, Crafting, and Decorating a Cheerful, More Inspiring Space
  • Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home
  • The Organized Home: Simple, Stylish Storage Ideas for All Over the House
  • Apartment Therapy Presents Real Homes, Real People, Hundreds of Real Design Solutions