Start by marking “Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability” as Want to Read:
Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability

Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability

Praised worldwide by parents and experts in the field, "Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability: Ideas and inspiration for even greater success and joy raising bilingual kids" is the uniquely empowering guidebook to the bilingual journey by Adam Beck, founder of the popular blog Bilingual Monkeys (http://bilingualmonkeys.com) and the lively forum The Bilingual Zoo (http:// ...more
Published April 17th 2016 by Bilingual Adventures

To ask other readers questions about Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximize Your Child's Bilingual Ability

Olena
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Adam's advice on raising multilingual children is very valuable because he has tremendous experience in multilingual classroom and as a father of his own bilingual children.
Pros:
- the book is very well organized. There are two parts: Perspectives and Principles. Perspectives will shift your mindset about raising bilingual children, it is all about ways of thinking be mindful about your journey. Principles is a practical part. And the tips are so easy to implement, you can start right now.
- stori
Ella
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
All in all, I would say it's a book worth your time if you are aiming to raise bilingual kids. It offers enough practical tips and ideas for you to work out a new language learning routine straight after reading.

The first half of the book is about adjusting your mindset and attitudes towards the task, which is necessary but probably one touch too lengthy and repetitive. The second half is where the author offers solid ideas and advice - the part that really earned the stars for the book in my c
talida
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adam Beck writes from his many years of experience of teaching at bilingual schools and offers practical tips as well as solid encouragement from his own life while raising bilingual children. I really enjoyed this book as I can relate as both the child and the parent of different bilingual journeys.

I grew up only speaking my family’s minority language (ml) until I started school in the majority language (ML). With parents that only spoke ml at home, I should have been fluent as I got older. But
Alisa
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(also posted on amazon)

Adam brings us this book with his perspective as both a language educator and a parent in the trenches, living the experience alongside us. As Adam explains the pros and cons of his family’s language situation, the reader can draw parallels with his own situation, to see the favorable and less favorable conditions for his child’s bilingualism and form a plan of attack.

He separates the book into two distinct sections: “Perspectives” and “Principles” – making it clear that
Wojciech
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a receipt to achieve success in raising bilingual child. It consists of two parts. The first reveals all relevant information parents should know or should be aware of when making a decision to introduce child to a second language. The second one proposes solutions that can help to achieve one’s goal. This book is all about motivation and to be honest information included could be applied to any goal the reader wants to achieve.

If you want to be successful with anything you have to
MaykenAlanna
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to raise your child with two (or more) languages? Are you looking for concrete advice, tips and tricks?
What to do when your child answers in the majority language only? Are you the only minority language speaker in your child's environment? Your child is enrolled in a majority language school and there's little time for the minority language? You feel overwhelmed and alone?
Adam's book offers ideas and resources for all those situations and more. You are not alone, and this book will
E
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It takes work and commitment to help your child become bilingual. My son is half Russian and half English, and I am hopeful that I would be able to share the knowledge of Russian language with him. I loved this book because it showed me the importance of strategy AND flexibility AND everyday efforts. Because of this book iI realized that little decisions that I make every day will either propel my son towards my goal of him being bilingual or the other way around. What I also understood is that ...more
yoon
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was divided into "Perspectives" and "Principles." The perspectives half was cheesy and not as helpful as I had hoped. The Principles half, however, was more helpful with practical tips and a helpful push towards a commitment + perseverance in fostering a bilingual home for our child. More determined to stick to the "minority language at home" approach (studied to be the most successful approach!)
- Heighten a sense of "need" to communicate in the minority language
- Bombard the home with
Irem Sengul
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it has a lot of small tips and tactics on what you can do as a parent to give your children the gift of bilingualism. The book is structured in two parts: Perspectives & Principles. Perspectives are “ways of thinking”; ideas and ground rules for raising bilingual children and Principles are “ways of acting”; methods and applications that would allow you to enrich your children’s language abilities. Although at times I felt like some of the ideas were being repeated, ...more
Brendan
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has great advice for raising a bilingual child. The author does not try to make any illusions about it being easy, but there's a lot of practical advice and motivation to keep you on the right track on making your child or children better speakers in another language. I can also relate to it personally, since both he and I are English speaking fathers raising children in Japan.

Even if you aren't in the exact same situation, the advice can be applied to whatever language you want your c
Tien Luong
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel lucky to get the book from my child was born.
The practices in the book is quite invaluable. The author tried to convey the big picture of the bilingual journey. His effort is deserved to be honor.
I am Vietnamese and my English speaking now is limited so by now I am just applying Read Aloud practice to my child. The book really encouraged me to take the first step on the journey. I will continue to build my English skills up to make the journey easier and more fun.
Just do the best today an
AHMET GOVEN
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is what you need! If you are raising or planning to raise a bilingual kid, this book will be your main guide. It contains everything about raising bilingual kids. You don't need teaching sets, cds, dvds or etc.. In this book Adam will tell you how to achieve your goal step by step with his own experience as a teacher and father. It is up to date and contains scientific information besides warm memories and experiences.
Wally
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifestyle
If this is the first book you read about raising bilingual children then you will find a lot of tips. If not, there are few tips that you might not have heard about from other books. I found it terribly repetitive, it could be condensed to half of what it is, if he would not repeat himself once and again in every chapter in one way or another. I think that you can get useful ideas even if you have read other books, just scan through it and focus on the parts that are relevant to you.
Luka
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gives so much more than just some words and ideas on how to raise a bilingual child. It gives you motivation whenever you pick it up, guidence in a time of despair, an insight of how it looks like in a normal biligual family and a warm feeling to know you are not alone. It's a joy to read!! The topics are simple yet great for raising a child. Would recommend it to anyone!
Richard Pohl
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has helped our family like no other. Thanks to authors many tips and strategies (I have to admit I took a less orthodox approach, though) I was able to make my daughter say there first words and sentences in the minority language! This is simply the number one book for parents, who want to raise their children bilingually.
Fish
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education, japan, language
Reading this book marked the beginning of my being a lot more mindful about raising my children to speak both English and Japanese. Beck's stories, parenting advice, and language teaching expertise are indispensable. I strongly recommend this book and its companion website/ bilingual parenting forum, http://bilingualzoo.com.
Dimitris
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent but could have done with being half then length. 30 perspectives on raising bilingual kids? A lot of repetition to pad out the book.
However, the second half of the book offered some extremely useful practical advice that I will be putting into practice myself.
Ryan Cole
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adam is an amazing writer and has so much wisdom to share. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to get the most out of raising kids in a multilingual family.
Nhu Le
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fueled by noticeable improvement in my child's minority language after we spent a month back in Vietnam visiting the grandparents, I am in search for a deeper strategy and practical tips. This book is great for several reasons

I really enjoyed the principles section. It provides a frame to hang ideas and daily habits.

A few personal takeaways for me
- Talk, talk talk to the kids!!
- Read, read, read to the kids!
- Provide a print rich environment (and try not to get imagery to ovettake the print com
Mondheera Pituxcoosuvarn
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found that this book is very useful for a mother-to-be who is living abroad like me!
Rebecca Svetina
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
A book I'll recommend to new bilingual families. I really like the short chapters, quotes at the beginning, and "take always" at the end... very well organized! The only fault I found was some repetitive information and length of the book as a whole- taking longer than I like as a new parent. With that said, it's easy to pick up for short bits of time- I read it while nursing. A positive, inspiring book.
Kisha
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, although a lot of it is repeated from the blog, which I've followed for some time. It was also very focused on what you should do from birth, which felt a little disheartening for those of us who have already passed that by.
Jan Rieger
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Didn't fulfill my expectations.
sean hart
I just want to read a different book

Nothing w n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n Mohegan yhgf night was the day for the first day in August for
Marta Vieira