Start by marking “Duplicity (Fina Ludlow, #4)” as Want to Read:
Duplicity (Fina Ludlow, #4)

Duplicity (Fina Ludlow #4)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  322 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Gutsy Boston P.I. Fina Ludlow returns with a case that puts her faith to the test in the latest addition to the critically acclaimed series by Ingrid Thoft.
When Ceci Jhavad hires Ludlow and Associates to sue the hip new church that she believes has brainwashed her daughter, Fina Ludlow is assigned to the case. Covenant Rising Church has all the trappings of a less-than-ho
Published January 10th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Duplicity, please sign up.
Sabrina No, there is a continuing conflict within the family that all the other books cover but doesn't go over past details here, you need to know before…moreNo, there is a continuing conflict within the family that all the other books cover but doesn't go over past details here, you need to know before hand from previous books or you will be confused and not like this book which is very good.(less)

Scott
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Dupliciity” is the fourth book in the Fina Ludlow mystery series sat in Boston, MA. Fina is a private detective working for her family’s law firm, run by her stodgy rich and powerful father (lawyer) and three brothers (all lawyers too). She is the misfit and her character has the same fierce independence and stubborn streak as another famous Boston paced PI, Spenser, written by the great Robert B. Parker and continued by Ace Atkins after his passing away a couple of years ago.

I have read all th
Maureen
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
This is the second book I've read in this series. Fina is a delightful, quirky private investigator working with her father, a personal injury attorney. In this book, there are two main threads: Fina is asked by her father to investigate a possible cult-type church, one in which his former girlfriend's daughter is about to donate land worth a considerable amount of money.

The other thread involves a brother of Fina's who has committed crimes close to home, one of which involves a family member.

I
Larry
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fina Ludlow is an investigator for her family's large personal industry law firm. As such, she handles cases with the kind of drive that earns her threatening messages, a trashed apartment, slashed tires, and a beatdown contract from someone presumably close to one of her cases. She's not superhuman, but she is tough and resourceful, and gives as good, or better, than she gets. Her targets in this book include a large church that seems to be run for the benefit of its ministers, a murderer of on ...more
Debbie
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the Fina Ludlow series books. They are SOOOO much better than the Stephanie Plum series and remind me a lot of the Spellman books, which I love as well.

In this book, Fina is trying to keep a client's daughter from giving up all her land to a church that she feels is crooked. The pastor and his wife have three homes, go to fancy resorts for vacation and drive very expensive cars.

Fina also finds out that someone has put a contract out on her. Not to kill her, but to injure her pr
Tamara
Full review to come later.

Quick thoughts:
I love me some Fina. She's strong. Opinionated. And caring. Her family is a mess of hot tempered personalities and shark like behavior, but Fina tries to what is morally right even if she has to bend the rules of law to get there.

Ingrid Thoft kept me flipping pages as fast as I could to see how this case and Fina's family drama was going to work out. Loved it and now can't wait for the next chapter!
Sabrina
Another nice addition to the Fina Ludlow series. Fina is asked by her father to investigate a church and right when she begins a prominent member dies. Her investigation is two-fold as she searches for the killer and looks into some of the church's possible shady dealings. On top of all that her eldest brother is back in town and stirring up trouble. She tries to enlist her family in stopping him but she finds out that she is on her own playing a deadly cat and mouse game with someone who is sup ...more
Sue Em
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the Fina Ludlow series (this is #4.) The first in the series rocketed to the top of my favorite books of that year, and none of the following in the series has disappointed. Fina is a tough P.I. with a singular point of view who works for her family's law firm. In this book she is brought in by her father to investigate a church before the daughter of a friend makes a large scale donation of property. Of course, the investigation leads to a murder which may or may not involve ...more
SpookySoto
3.5/5

I liked this book, it was interesting, intriguing and fast paced.

I haven't read any of Thoft's novels before, and I enjoyed her writing style a lot. I didn't have any difficulty in reading this, there's clearly references to her previous novels, but I wasn't confused or felt I needed more background information than the ones this book provided. I'm now interested in reading the other books of the series and her next one.

I liked Fina a lot, she is badass without being more rude than her job
Pgchuis
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fina (in her role working for her family law firm) is asked to look into an evangelical (here used to connote promoting a prosperity gospel and wifely submission etc) church to which the daughter of a client is proposing to donate a valuable property. At the same time she is dealing with the return to town of her brother Rand, who we know from the previous instalment to be guilty of an appalling crime.

This was fast-paced and never over-complicated. I like Fina, but don't understand why she doesn
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
A stunner of a book. Loved it. Can't wait to see what is next.
John
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really engrossing series. Fun, with serious issues and complex issues. I enjoy her writing and Fina is a very unique character in the best way.
Jay
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Duplicity, the fourth book in Ingrid Thoft's Fina Ludlow series, finds the Shamus Award winning author unfurling what could be thought of as, at least at this point in time, her magnum opus. Yes, the story is that damn good.

Fina finds herself dragged into a case by her father on the behalf of one of his old flames. It seems the woman's adult daughter is about to drop a huge piece of real estate on the church she belongs to. The woman's mother doesn't trust the church and engages Fina to investig
Liz Milliron
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Fina Ludlow. I won a copy from a blog (quite honestly, I had no idea I was entered). Anyway.

Thoft had me from the first page.

I love snappy writing, crisp dialog, a good pace, and characters who despite their flaws, or perhaps because of them, really leap off the page for me and make me root for them. DUPLICITY has all of that in spades.

There is plenty going on - suspicion at a mega-church (one of those where you just aren't sure why they are so popular), murder, and the return
Lisa Konet
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: this-sucked
Didn't really like this because I didn't realize it was the 4th book of a series, so no idea what happened before because characters talk about things that happened before. Plenty of mystery and deception and lies, just a blah story for me
Ammy
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The 4th book in the Fina Ludlow, PI, series. She takes on a less-than-holy church organization and her dysfunctional family.

Fina is a great character. She’s a strong, independent, intelligent woman. Good plot but…SPOILER ALERT…I was hoping this would be the end of the “Rand” issue. The overall situation is unsettling and it is difficult to believe that her parents are that cold especially at the end when her brother attempted to kill her. Also, they would turn a totally blind eye to their grand
Jamie
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This series keeps getting better and better!
judy
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
i'm not sure what it is about this series but i cannot seem to put them down. this book in particular grabbed me which is a testament to really great pacing & the steady, believable development of the b storyline - fina's personal life.
Amanda
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Finished the 4th “Fina Ludlow” novel “Duplicity” and loved it!!! :D Ingrid Thoft’s series is one of my favorite PI/detective series and each book just keeps getting better as it explores Fina’s messed up family in Boston as well as each case. This case was really good as it looked into a murder of a member at a Boston megachurch and there were so many suspects. Took some twists too I never saw coming, especially with Fina’s family, that it was totally worth the long wait. Can’t wait for the 5th ...more
Joanne
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another winner. Binge read the series after learning about this author on Jungle Reds. Hope #5 cones out soon. Gutsy irreverent female PI.
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-books-2017
Duplicity was well worth the extra wait and now I can't wait for the next one. being inside Fina's head is delightful for me.
Jodi
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars This is the 4th book in the Fina Ludlow series. I really like Fina. She has a great sense of humor and justice. Fina works as a PI, primarily for her father's law firm in Boston where her three brothers are also lawyers. Fina's father asks Fina to investigate a church that Carl's good friend's daughter wants to donate a very expensive piece of land to in order to convince her not to donate the land. There is clearly something more to the "friend" relationship between Carl and Ceci. Du ...more
Isobel
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
My first novel by this author, but the fourth in a series. A mystery novel featuring Josephine (“Fina”) Ludlow, a woman with a “poor-little-rich-girl” background, who is also a bit of a black sheep. Pretty good one-liners provide backdrop to a mystery involving a guilt-tripping, suspicious church and the death of one of its’ patrons. Intersperse with a healthy dose of family drama continuing from previous books but fairly easy to get a grasp on even if you haven’t read the previous books, and yo ...more
Helene
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
So this one only gets two stars. Though jam-packed with more action, the "third rail" issue of controversial evangelistic churches and charismatic pastors, the book "finished" with too many loose ends in my opinion and no hope of a sequel for two years since the author was asked to work on a different series.

What does Rand have on Fina's father? Where is her relationship with Christian going? Milloy? What's up with the newly discovered half-sister? What will happen with Rand?

Will I still be inte
Race Bannon Berns
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. I did not find anything to get excited about
when I read this one.
First of all, it is my first read of this series and it
was Book #4. I really felt if you have not read
the first three you are definitely missing
some things.
Second of all, I just felt the protagonist is
rather mundane. The writing seems to be
sort of a monotone. I just could not work
up any empathy for her.
I know others may like this kind of writing
but it just is not for me.
Dasha
4th in series. In each book, Thoft has a central issue which is resolved at the end -- in this case, the advisability of a large bequest to a church -- and continues to develop other threads which run throughout the series. By the end of this one, she's thrown in a new family twist that will undoubtedly take several more volumes to deal with. It's wonderful and also maddening -- it will be a while before she's had time to publish the next installment!
Penny
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Duplicity is another consistently entertaining entry in the Fina Ludlow series. I adore a strong female lead, and so much the better if she has flaws she can own up to. Author Ingrid Thoft continues to deliver enough clever dialog and snarky humor to temper the more serious themes of murder, assault and a perilously dangerous family situation. Keep them coming!
Betty
Oct 28, 2017 rated it liked it
A 3+. Have read all four of this series and found them fast paced and fun to read. Especially like Fina a quirky, fearless Private Investigator for her Father (and Brothers) law firm. Often while investigating a case for her father she gets involved with another case that seems to just fall into her lap. I have enjoyed them all and hope that Ingrid Thoft has another one ready soon.
Sara
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The 4th in a series, and I'll be going back to read a few of the others. Fina Ludlow is a likable and human character who is tough as nails and definitely not aiming for perfection in her own life. She is smart, gets the job done, and this foray into a mega-church makes for an interesting story. A good summer read.
Carol Hennion
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This story is part of a series with Fina Ludlow, a female private eye, as the wise cracking heroine. This tale centers on a cult-like church with a charismatic minister, along with the wealthy Ludlow family and their many secrets.
Kristi Amdur
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book with all of its suspicions all the way until the last pages. It ended abruptly without much conclusion. It assumes readers will tie up loose ends for themselves. It is the latest in a series and I haven't read the others, so maybe it suggests another installment.
INGRID THOFT was born in Boston and is a graduate of Wellesley College. Her interest in the PI life and her desire to create a believable PI character led her to the certificate program in private investigation at the University of Washington. She lives in Seattle with her husband.
More about Ingrid Thoft

Fina Ludlow (4 books)
  • Loyalty (Fina Ludlow, #1)
  • Identity (Fina Ludlow #2)
  • Brutality (Fina Ludlow, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Sometimes I Lie: A Novel
  • Force of Nature
  • Bonfire
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Before the Fall
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)