Start by marking “Eres hermosa” as Want to Read:
Eres hermosa

Eres hermosa

3.01  ·  Rating details ·  15,132 ratings  ·  2,071 reviews
From the author of Fight Club, the classic portrait of the damaged contemporary male psyche, now comes this novel about the apocalyptic marketing possibilities of female pleasure. Sisters will be doing it for themselves. And doing it. And doing it. And doing it some more. . .

Penny Harrigan is a low level associate in a big Manhattan law firm with an apartment in Queens and
Published April 7th 2016 by LITERATURA RANDOM HOUSE (first published October 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Eres hermosa, please sign up.
Inga If you read a little further than the first few pages, you will understand that it is not the "poor girl" being raped in from of the courtroom, it is …moreIf you read a little further than the first few pages, you will understand that it is not the "poor girl" being raped in from of the courtroom, it is ALL of US being raped daily by consumerism and market society. And ALL of US are doing nothing as this happens.
It is a hard to read book, but sexual violence is seeming, the real violence is the one we undergo by being brainwashed and manipulated in our daily lives. (less)

·  15,132 ratings  ·  2,071 reviews

Start your review of Eres hermosa
Peter Derk
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dug it.

On the one hand, not a perfect book. But I wanted to know what happened, and I wanted to keep reading, and there was a really interesting (to me) narrative voice that co-mingled a third-person omniscience with a first-person voice. Which is why I sometimes wonder if Chuck Palahniuk is unfairly maligned for the contents of Chuck Palahniuk's books.

Let me explain a bit.

Have you ever heard of the Fregoli delusion? It's kind of hard to explain. Let me explain it through the idea of mocking N
Rachel
Oct 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: palahniuk, ditched, 2014
NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO N ...more
Edward Lorn
Oct 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey fans
I'm gonna go ahead and say what everyone else is thinking.

Chuck Palahniuk is the M. Night Shamalamadingdong of literature. And this book, ladies and gentlemen, is his Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Beautiful You is a godawful, unfunny joke of a book. I understand Chuck was going after the Fifty Shade and Twilight books with guns blazin', but this assassination mission was an utter failure. In fact, it pains me to say this, but ... Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey (what little I read of them) were b
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Oh Chuck . . . I have a disappoint : (

Commercial Photography

I requested Beautiful You before ever even glancing at the synopsis. That’s how positive I was I would enjoy it. I’m a loyal fan and am prepared for whatever Palahniuk wants to throw at me. Even if those items are dildos. The premise of this book actually sounded pretty promising – a middle-aged millionaire (C. Linus Maxwell – a/k/a “Climax-Well”), known for having some serious voodoo when it c
Imogen
Nov 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yknow if Chuck could just back off the rape jokes and racist tropes for one single book, it would be so awesome. He's really good at making a plot gather steam and then sending it off the rails - but he always puts whatever momentum he's built into the most boring, predictable white dude misogyny and dick jokes. The most interesting thing in this book is a very elaborate rape joke! What if he had put that his very real storytelling skills toward, I don't know, like, anything else? It could be aw ...more
Patrice Hoffman
I'm not sure if I loved or hated Chuck Palahniuk's latest novel Beautiful You. I mean, any rational woman would run very far from this book after reading the first few pages of our heroine Penny Harrigan getting raped in a court of law by a bunch of sex-deprived men. The opening scene unfolds and provides little fragments of information that will either latch its ugly little claws on the reader or force many to chuck Chuck's latest weird novel.

Those who are aware of Palahniuk's work won't shy aw
Kathy Cunningham
Chuck Palahniuk’s BEAUTIFUL YOU is a darkly satiric examination of our human obsession with pleasure. The novel begins with 25-year-old Penny Harrigan being raped on the witness stand in open court, with judge, jury, and a room full of eager witnesses doing nothing to save her. The story, then, flashes back several months to explain how this awkward plain-Jane girl from Nebraska ended up in such a predicament. Penny is a would-be lawyer desperately trying to pass the bar exam when she runs into ...more
Jason P
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chuck-palahniuk
Beautiful Blah is more like it....

Chucky, baby, buddy, my friend who used to write beautiful masterpieces like Survivor, Haunted, Lullaby, Diary to name a few - What the fuck happened!?

Serious. What happened, did you go through some life altering episode in your life that would make you create sub-par works like: Snuff, Rant (pffft), Damned and Doomed - I mean, shit man, Pygmy was kind of decent but this? For reals?

Beautiful comes out of the gate completely insulting to all women in my opinion,
Diana
Jun 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
World domination via vibrators. It sounds funny and sexy, no? No.

I'd strangely never read Chuck Palahniuk, even though he's a local boy right here in Portland, OR. So when I found that it was available on a digital advance reading copy, and what the subject matter was, I decided it was time.

A slightly overweight Everygirl (who of course winds up being smoking hot by the end of the book) meets a corporate genius who tests his line of sex toys and other sexual products on her before releasing them
Korey
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Palahniuk's slump continues. This is a terrible book, the worse I have read of his. I really want to emphasize this is a bad, bad, bad book. It reeks of laziness. There is absolutely no character development. This seriously has some of the flattest, most one dimensional, cipher like characters I have ever read. The prose is completely devoid of style or wit. The dialogue is terrible. The plot, which is supposed to be oh so wacky and satirical, is badly undercooked. It reads like a skeleton draft ...more
Stacy Fetters
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

What the fuck did I just read? It was the craziest book he's written to date. Lately, his books have been good but this one blows them all away. One of my favorites by Mr. Palahniuk.
I am Penny's smirking revenge.
Beautiful you starts off with Penny in a court room getting raped and no one is stopping it. She's screaming for help but everyone just sits and watches. Bizarre. After that it just gets weirder.
Penny is not quite an intern and not quite a lawyer. She just can't seem to pass the bar exa
Luis
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Why should sex be any different? Everything - films, music, painting - is calculated to manipulate and excite us. Drugs are designed to be as effective as possible. Why shouldn't we devote the same attention to the details of sex?"

In terms of the writing style, you would think this is written by an entirely different author.

Let me explain.

Fans and non-fans alike always complain/praise Chuck's experimental writing style. I think that's how he gains (and at the same time cuts off) his readers.

Re
Christine
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I read this book almost without stopping. Now that I have finished it I still can't believe I read it. Did I just read that?
Snotchocheez

Surely you must be familiar with Chuck Palahniuk's m.o. by now: 'pushing the envelope', getting a rise out of his readers, eliciting uncomfortable laughter. With more than a dozen novels under his belt, he's certainly made a name for himself by straddling that tenuous line between the deliciously outré and outright tastelessness.

He wastes no time with Beautiful You to push readers' buttons by depicting his protagonist Penny Harrigan being raped in a courtroom, sometime in the not-so-di
Clelia
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I relished this grubby little satire but couldn't keep myself from speeding through it in three sittings. Here's the delightful part: the story begins as a parody of "Fifty Shades of Grey" and snowballs into a story of world-domination through sex toys and one woman from Nebraska, Penny, pitted against a multibillionaire sociopath. There's even a pilgrimage to an ancient erotic guru who lives alone on a crag of the Himalayas. This all takes place in the near-future.

Without giving too much away,
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Ummmm,what did I just read.
I have never read any of this author's work,perhaps this was an unwise starting point. I found it weird,and I like weird. Just weird in an unfunny,creepy way.
I will give Mr Palahniuk another chance,his writing kept me interested but this book was just baffling.
John Bruni
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a work of mad genius from a great writer. The cover flap-copy in no way will prepare you for the insanity you'll find here. Are you familiar with the term "arousal addiction?" You will be by the end. It's a great piece of satire, skewering our consumer culture from top to bottom. In PYGMY, Palahniuk revealed a terrorist act that would 100% work, even if you knew it was coming. In BEAUTIFUL YOU, he reveals the perfect plan for . . . well, I don't want to say too much because it's much bet ...more
Po Po
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This makes Bukowski seem like a prudish ankle-length-skirt-wearing school marm.

Delves in squirming, quivering, and hypnotically graphic detail the supreme pleasures derived from carnal enlightenment, with an emphasis on anal orgasms.

Not for the faint of heart or those easily offended-- this is a fiendishly crass, aggressive, deranged and politically-incorrect satire with totally ludicrous slapstick-y scenarios at every turn.

You will want to run, hide, vomit, throw the book against a wall, but t
Phil Keeling
Ugh.

This had its moments: I won't lie. But it isn't the female companion piece to Fight Club that everyone seems to believe it to be. It's got an interesting twist and a unique point of view--but the story itself is so boring I felt the need to read Choke back to it in order to remind it what beautiful sexual satire and vulgarity can really do properly.

Chuck, my friend--this isn't a finished book. This is a first or second draft. Don't publish your second drafts.

That's actually pretty good adv
Claudia Recinos
Nov 04, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you don't ask for things like character development, challenging prose, subtlety, or any sort of examination of the universal truths surrounding our shared human experience then, yeah, I can see how this book might do. Personally, I struggled to stay awake.
AmberBug com*
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2014, netgalley
www.shelfnotes.com review

Dear Reader,

Reviewing this is going to be HARD, really HARD, super rock HARD, throbbing rock HARD. Blushing yet? You will be after you read this. All you folks who read "Fifty Shades" and thought it was "so naughty" better not pick this book up... you might DIE from the lack of constraint Palahniuk uses. Just like all of Chuck's books, this should have warning labels slapped all over it. As the saying goes... if you don't have the stomach for it, get out of the kitchen?!
Mizuki
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-review@14/01/2015:

Penny Harrigan is a low-level associate in a big Manhattan law firm with an apartment in Queens and no love life at all. So it comes as a great shock when she finds herself invited to dinner by one C. Linus Maxwell, aka "Climax-Well," a software mega-billionaire and lover of the most gorgeous and accomplished women on earth. After dining at Manhattan's most exclusive restaurant, he whisks Penny off to a hotel suite in Paris, where he proceeds, notebook in hand, to bring
Jerritt Hovey
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this Novel by Chuck Palahniuk. It's a complete satire, poking fun of today's society and the classic men versus women battle. It's brilliant, really. Not surprised that the first novel making fun of the current popular and "hip" stories was written by Palahniuk. He writes apologetically, creating such an over-the-top plot, you can't help but realize how society has become numb to the issues he addresses throughout the story (i.e. the classic battle of the sexes, feminism, th ...more
Leanne
I'm stuck in a 3 star rut! This one started out interesting, and I've always enjoyed Palahniuk's writing style, but it just devolved into nonsensical madness by the end. Should be quite the book club discussion!
Amy
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chuck Palahniuk has a strange but brilliant mind. Sometimes his books are a little too disturbing for me (Haunted, in particular) but they are always incredibly original and thought-provoking. His latest novel Beautiful You is no exception. I had already been reading all day when this book came in the mail and, though my eyes felt like they were dried up cherry pits by the end, I didn't (or couldn't) put this book down once I had started it.
Penny is a rather plain girl living in New York City,
Iris
Sep 04, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I am about halfway through this book. I got it as a gift & I understand why - misandry is supposed to be fun, you know.

I have never read any Palahniuk before but like - has this dude ever met a woman before? This is both condescending & inept in terms of describing any woman's interiority at all. I keep reading to see if the feminist revolution is going to get here but so far I am continually saying to myself, "God, what an asshole!"

Ok I hate-finished this. The parts of the book that aren't sexi
Denisse
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Twisted. It mocks everything we are as audience and consumers. At the same time I wanted to stop reading and finish the book, which is probably what Palahniuk wanted us to feel. Anyway, didn’t enjoyed it at all, but I can see the importance of the idea, I wish the descriptions didn't make me throw up.

Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge 2019: A book you chose for the cover.

Eh? Vaya forma de dar una lección a la sociedad.

"La mano que mece la cuna decide en que se invierten casi todos los ingr
Megan
Oct 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Chuck P. is definitely one of my favorite writers. That said, this book was a huge let-down.

The plot for his newest release sounded interesting, and keeping in mind his ability to create funny, complex satires, I thought it would be pretty good. I was wrong.

I understand the jab at modern consumerism, sexual obsession, capitalism, etc. I appreciate the ode to the current revolution of female sexuality and feminism in general. All of these are themes that I would usually really enjoy reading abou
Erika Schoeps
Apr 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By far THE WORST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ. I can't use enough capital letters to express how TERRIBLE this book was. I can't believe I read 150 pages of it before I stopped. I think it's trying to make fun of books like the "Twilight" series (which it lambasts in a really obvious way, repeatedly), but instead of being a satire, it just unironically becomes worse than those types of books. Resplendent with racist and sexist tropes and stereotypes (seriously dude, this isn't satire, you're just being ...more
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 5 May 04, 2019 05:27AM

• Occhi sulla graticola
  • Sálvese quien pueda
  • The Contortionist's Handbook
  • The Zombie Room
  • The Glitter Plan: How We Started Juicy Couture for $200 and Turned It into a Global Brand
  • Diary of a Lost Girl: The Autobiography of Kola Boof
  • Actos impuros
  • Manto and Chughtai: The Essential Stories
  • Chimichanga
  • The Elephant Tree
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more