Start by marking “Jellicoe Road” as Want to Read:
Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  46,117 ratings  ·  6,691 reviews
I'm dreaming of the boy in the tree. I tell him stories. About the Jellicoe School and the Townies and the Cadets from a school in Sydney. I tell him about the war between us for territory. And I tell him about Hannah, who lives in the unfinished house by the river. Hannah, who is too young to be hiding away from the world. Hannah, who found me on the Jellicoe Road six yea ...more
Published August 26th 2008 by HarperTeen (first published August 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jellicoe Road, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Megan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  46,117 ratings  ·  6,691 reviews

Start your review of Jellicoe Road
Emily May
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
There's a monster in my mirror with puffy bloodshot eyes because she stayed up most of the night, crying and reading On the Jellicoe Road. But it was worth it.

Melina Marchetta never fails to remind me why she is one of my favourite authors and, in my opinion, this is the best of her books I've read so far. It's very difficult to put into words how I feel about On the Jellicoe Road. All I can s
Lora
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lora by: Lots of good people

There's a reason why books like Twilight don't receive those. They don't give those to just any book, and when you factor in excellence . . . well, a lot of titles just don't make the cut. But it is clear to me why Melina Marchetta's third tribute to YA literature received a Printz award back in 2009. It is because it is excellent, to the very meaning of the word.

If all YA contemporary writers wrote like Marchetta, I doubt I'd play in any other genre playground very often. She writes these beautifully inspirationa
karen
i have got to stop being surprised when teen fiction is good. printz-award winning fiction (you know, the award for literary teen fiction that all the grown-ups read and say "this is for teens??"). australian teen fiction. complicated, multi-layered teen fiction.

this book is all of the above, and it is remarkable.

it has sex and drugs and rock and roll, it has violence and terrible crimes, it has shock and awe and guilt and terrible secrets and it opens with a death. this is my kind of teen fiction. it is mostly about loss and being lo
Maggie Stiefvater
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I will preface this review by saying that I love this book. But not every will love this book.

I will also preface this review by saying that you shouldn't decide whether you belong in group A or group B before you get to page 125 or so. The first 125 pages are a confusing, emotional slog that seems to be about territorial "wars" between rival teen sects in Australia. But it's really brilliantly done -- because that is exactly what the main character, Taylor Markham, thinks of things. It's busy
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*5+ Stars! Gorgeous*

Books like this make me realize just how insignificant words become when attempting to convey raw emotion.

On the Jellicoe Road is more than just a book; it is a hauntingly beautiful journey towards an unexpected destination where tragedy and despair become the bridges to the greatest of friendships.

And life goes on, which seems kind of strange and cruel when you're watching someone die.

This story is told in alternating perspectives set in both past and present which, at first, seem entirely unrelated. Bufriendships.
Tatiana
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of realistic YA fiction
Shelves: ya, printz, 2010, favorites, aus-nz
As seen on The Readventurer

I don't often give books 5-star ratings. Normally these are the books that either horrify me (Unwind, The Handmaid's Tale) or delight me with superb writing (The Queen of Attolia, The Disr
Candace
'On the Jellicoe Road' is the first book I've read/listened to by this author. After all of the glowing reviews for this one, I was prepared to be blown away. Unfortunately, it just didn't work out that way for me. It ended up being an "okay" story for me.

My first problem has less to do with the actual story, and more to do with the format that I chose. I listened to the Audible edition and that was a big mistake. The problem didn't stem from the quality of narration, so much as the
Nataliya
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nataliya by: Emily May
Shelves: 2012-reads
"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, did you?" This quote belongs to Stephen King, but it describes the soul of Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road perfectly.

Jellicoe Road is the story of friendships that form your world, friendships so wonderful that it's easy to fall to pieces when they break. It is the story of abandonment and loss and learning to deal with it. It is the sclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Jellicoe"I
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
GUYS.
I JUST READ THIS AGAIN ON A WHIM AND MY HEART. I AM A MESS. ALL OVER AGAIN.

HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE BECAUSE EVERYTHING HURTS JUST AS MUCH BUT ALSO EVERYTHING HURTS JUST AS GOOD OR MAYBE EVEN INFINITELY MORE SO AND I CANNOT EVEN BEGIN TO FATHOM THE FUCKING BEAUTY THAT IS THIS STORY AND THIS PROSE AND OFFICIALLY MY MOST CHERISHED BOOK OF ALL TIME.

Thank you for existing.

(21.10.16)
________________________

This is the kind of book that slowly sucks you in, and at first, you may be unsure if you want to go on but before you know it, it's already swallowed you whole.

And I'm not sure ITIME.
Thank
Sana
*had to rewrite the roast bc gr is a fucking shitface and deleted it so I apologize if it is sucky. I tried kids.*

description
And that's basically me after reading this ^

My brain cells are ded. I want to cry and drown in my own tears, not because of the feels this book gave me, but the lack of fucking everything this book failed to give me. I want my time back that was wasted reading this book.

You knbook.
You^
My
Jo
God. This book.

-----

Note: I’m not sure where the words ‘On the’ went… I’m assuming it’s different for the British version and not that I have a defective copy.
Also… while I’m Note-ing: This review will be a lot shorter than other reviews because this book is best read knowing nothing about it.

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Breathtaking. I need to listen to the masses more.

High Points.
JONAH GRIGGS. Sorry, had to get that out there. Taylor Markham= New Soul Sister. Australia. Mystery! Nostalgia. Chi
/>: ...more
Andreea Pop
“From this distance everything is so bloody perfect.”

This will not be a proper review, because On the Jellicoe Road turned me into ruins. Quite possibly, my favorite book of the year, because it is so unique and so gut-wrenching and so enrapturing it deserves the title.

This book is not merely a reading experience; this book is a journey. One filled with two emotional plotlines, past and present, that overlap in places only to thread themselves together in a masterful and sad, yet agonizingly beautiful story.

This bo
emma
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to emma by: may ❀
THIS IS NOT A ROAST!!!!!!

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO HATE, DISOWN, OR OTHERWISE PUNISH ME BECAUSE THIS IS NOT A RANT REVIEW!!!!!!!

I'm giving it three stars okay???? So don't be mad. That's not even a bad rating.

That being said:
- this book was sososososo confusing, for, like, the first 15%, after which it was overwhelmingly obvious but took 300 pages to get to the revelations that had been pret-ty clear in a long term way
- STUPID UNNECESSARY ROMANCE THAT I
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Simply incredible. I cried way too much, but it was so worth it. Will review tomorrow when I can wrap my head around what to write.

*moves ahead a day in time*

After sleeping on it, I'm still struggling with how to write a proper review. There are some books which are virtually impossible to explain, and this is one of them. The GR book summary gives no indication what the book is really about, and truth be told, I'm not sure you'd want to know what the book is about before
Vinaya
This book is so fucked up. Completely, totally fucked up. Everybody in it is fucked up, and living their lives is fucked up, and by the time you're done with it, you're fucked up, but you can't tell because your head is cloudy from all the tears you've shed getting through this fucked-up book.

I hate On The Jellicoe Road. I hate books that make me cry, and this book made me want to weep tears of blood for all that lost youth and promise, and the pain of loss and the promise of the future. If som
Ari
It took me 113 days to write a full review.. I counted.

Reading one of Marchetta’s stories should be one of the “10 things to do in your lifetime”. Seriously, this woman is one of the most creative people alive, one of the most amazing writers I came across and I wish I could put into words the awesomeness of this book, but I feel at a loss for words once more.

In fact, I should invent a new language with
Flannery
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for good YA
Recommended to Flannery by: All my GR friends
A lot of people think that Henry David Thoreau* went to Walden to live a solitary life. I felt like that until I actually went to Walden Pond. Imagine my surprise when some friends and I decided to go for a hike, go for a swim and check out the scenery--we left Boston around 9...and we got there by 9:30. Yeah right, HDT, I could live deliberately in the woods, too, if I knew my transcendentalist cronies would bring me a Cinnabon and some pumpkin ale once in awhile.** Nevertheless, Thoreau’s idea ...more
Em Lost In Books
Gave up on 40%. Couldn't connect to the characters or the story, guess it was time to move on.
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
“He’s the most beautiful creature I have ever seen and it’s not about his face, but the life force I can see in him. It’s the smile and the pure promise of everything he has to offer. Like he’s saying, ‘Here I am world, are you ready for so much passion and beauty and goodness and love and every other word that should be in the dictionary under the word life?’”

Sometimes, guys, simply reading a book once is not enough.

You find that reading it a second time offers you a whole other reading exp
Jiana
Apr 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honest to God, I don't even know what the hell I read.

Before I begin, you'll realize I've referred to this book as JelliNOE Road. Because that's what is: A NO.

Don't ask me what this book is about, because 1) I don't know what it's about, and 2) I'd like to forget this book exists.

Thank you.

JelliNOE Road has been on my TBR for a while. I added it because MAYBELINE adores it. I only decided to pick it up last week because May and I had a deal. She fulfilled her part of the deal
may ❀

how could this book hurt me on the second read just as much as the first read? i am a puddle of feels and sadness and tears and joy. i love this book more than i love myself.

description

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

guess which Marchetta Trash™ is back to have her soul ruined AGAIN???

buddy read and reread with the nice mice, zoop & foop

can't wait to die :')
Fares
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a way to end 2018, crying alone in my room :)
--------------------------------------
Half this book I was: ????
The other half I was: on the verge of tears
Emily
So I just don't get what others love about this book. It's a Cybil's Finalist and a ALA Printz Award Winner. So people LOVE Jellicoe Road and I usually follow popular librarian opinion, but I just can't get on this bandwagon.

I felt like the writing was very, very confusing. For the first 100 pages I really couldn't tell what was going on. Don't get me wrong - dramatic and interesting things were happening, but I couldn't even begin to see how they were related. The character developm
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books (2011 version)
Every Filipino who loves his country must read this book.

Reason: On April 13, 2012, North Korea's long-range rocket launched, failed. Reuters is now saying that, embarrassed by rocket crash, North Korea may now be thinking of trying nuclear test.

Check the path and the trajectory plan of that failed rocket launch:
northkorea
Do you see that tail-end of the yellow line? That's Luzon, the biggest island in the Philippines. That's where Manila is. That's where I live!

But why should we read this book?

Here's why:
president
He reads this book!

Seriously, I am one of the moderators ofwhy:launch:
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
This book was recommended to by the lovely MAYFLOWER! And boy, do I have a lot of gratitude that she pulled this book to the forefront of my TBR list.

I'm gonna be honest, when I first started reading this I didn't find myself immediately drawn into the story. I was like that new kid in a group that's sort of hanging out on the edge of conversation, listening but not really participating.

But then I saw the light.

Things started to come together for me once Taylor began to pursue the tr/>But
Nomes
I first read 'On The Jellicoe Road' in 2006. I had been DYING for it's release ~ and can still remember how tingly and giddy I felt as I walked home with my copy. Back then, I had 3 kids under 5 and couldn't wait for them to get in bed so I could curl up and savour my new Melina Marchetta.

On The Jellicoe Road is notorious for people finding the beginning confusing ~ and I have seen lovers of the book urge people to persevere to find it's magic.

It was not like that for me. From the f
Janina
I’m at a loss for words. This book has made me cry and laugh out loud. It has made me fall in love with its characters, no matter how small their role. It is a book that I’m not likely to forget at any time.

Jellicoe Road deals with death and loss, with abandonment, drug-addiction and suicide. Each character has her or his own terrible past to come to terms with, and sometimes I wondered: How do these people manage to live on when even I almost can’t cope with what they’ve been through?
But above al
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Territorial War buddy read/reread with Chelsea, Jennifer, Jen, Laura & Harriet

What happens when you reread this incredible book? What? You fucking cry, what do you think?

Well, you have seen me gushing frantically obsessing over this book for a while now, so you know you have to brace yourself because this book? It possibly became my favorite. Ever. That kind of means something when we read a million book a year, right?

"I fall in love with these kids over and over again and my heart aches for their tragedies and marvels at their friendship".

This book. This fucking BOOK.

Why is it sothink?
Well,☠
What
Hamad
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2018-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“It’s funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that’s why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It’s not the pain they’re getting over, it’s the love.”

🌟 There are 2 reasons that made me read this book: I read Finnikin of the Rock 1 year ago and liked it. Fares & May, 2 of the people who have the closest book taste as mine read and loved it. Those were enough reasons to have h

• Good Oil
  • Raw Blue
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • A Little Wanting Song
  • Going Bovine
  • Before I Die
  • Fall for Anything
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  • Graffiti Moon
  • The Storyteller (UK edition)
  • Please Ignore Vera Dietz
  • Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)
  • The Show
  • If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)
  • Sloppy Firsts (Jessica Darling, #1)
  • Looking for Alaska
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)
Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. Her first novel, Looking For Alibrandi was awarded the Children's Book Council of Australia award in 1993 and her second novel, Saving Francesca won the same award in 2004. Looking For Alibrandi was made into a major film in 2000 and won the Australian Film Institute Award for best Film and best adapted screen play, also written by the author. On the ...more
“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.” 1331 likes
“If you weren't driving, I'd kiss you senseless," I tell him.
He swerves to the side of the road and stops the car abruptly.
"Not driving any more.”