Start by marking “X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills” as Want to Read:
X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills

(Marvel Graphic Novel #5)

The Uncanny X-Men. Magneto, master of magnetism. The bitterest of enemies for years. But now they must join forces against a new adversary who threatens them all and the entire world besides... in the name of God. One of Chris Claremont's most powerful and influential stories, the partial basis for "X-Men 2," is reprinted here for the first time in years. Collects Marvel G ...more
Paperback, Marvel Graphic Novels, 64 pages
Published September 1st 1994 by Marvel Comics Group (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Alejandro
Outstanding story!!!

This is a graphic novel in the sense that it’s not a TPB collecting comic book issues previously published separately but it has been always published as a whole book. Also, this particular edition includes sketches by Neal Adams who was intended to be the original illustrator for the book, moreover, some interviews with the creative team.

Creative Team:

Writer: Chris Claremont

Illustrator: Brent Anderson

Colors: Steve Oliff

DEUTERONOMY 17:2-5

Why?

Because you have no right t
Kemper
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Treasure of the Rubbermaids 11: Generation X

The on-going discoveries of priceless books and comics found in a stack of Rubbermaid containers previously stored and forgotten at my parent’s house and untouched for almost 20 years. Thanks to my father dumping them back on me, I now spend my spare time unearthing lost treasures from their plastic depths.

Now that there are umpteen million versions of X-Men out there in comics, cartoons, movies and just as many spin-offs, it’s kind of hard to remembe
Sr3yas
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the opening panel itself, you'd know this one is NOT going to be a child's play.

* Racism, (or Speciesism?)
* Hunting mutants,
* Religious blasphemy,
* Satanism,
* Murdering children,
* Genocide,
* Fear.

This one got it all.

The story takes place in US of A where couple of terrorists with mutant powers exists and have carried out some attacks. People are getting scared and they turn to a dangerous man: William Stryker, A religious fanatic who pretty much shouts at the camera about how they n
Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019
This is the comic book that inspired some of the important elements featured in the groundwork for the arguably best X-Men film from the first trilogy franchise, X2. This is why reading God Loves, Man Kills will certainly be recognizable to a reader who has seen the said film adaptation first. With a total of sixty-four pages and illustrated by artist John Byrne, Chris Claremont took the task of tackling hard issues such as racial discrimination and religious persecution in this story.

As a lapse
Ronyell
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Chris Claremont's original work on X-Men!!
5.5 stars!!!

Early Thoughts:

Lately, I have been reading many “X-Men” comics, especially the ones from the 70s and 80s and I have stumbled upon this unique little story. Since I had heard so many good things about this story, I decided to check it out myself and what I got was probably the darkest, most disturbing, most engaging and most brilliant piece of work I have ever read from any comic! This story is called “God Loves Man Kills” and it was an “X-Men” story written by Chris Claremont al
Chelsea
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, yeah, this is yet another legendary X-Men story. I see why: it's a good take on the epic struggle between the X-Men and anti-mutant kind. It's also a bit about Magneto and Charles' different views on how to handle that struggle. Magneto thinks they should fight fire with fire and Charles thinks they should turn the other cheek. I'll take a page out of James McAvoy's book and say Charles is pretty stupid with regards to this argument. It will never work, Charles. They will only try to kill ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
The Reverend William Stryker and his eugenics-themed team of Purifiers set out to rid the world of mutants in a self-righteous fascistic campaign that has apparently entranced the general public. As Stryker prepares for his Nuremberg-rally-esque speech at Madison Square Garden, he manages to capture the Professor and use his psychic powers to nullify the rest of the X-Men.

God Loves, Man Kills is an embarrassing early 80s effort from Marvel as they allegedly attempt to address racism in this book
StoryTellerShannon
A 1982 graphic novel dealing with racism. In this tale a religious minister with secrets of his own gets the masses to rise up against the mutants while the mutants somewhat ironically try to approach the problem with reason. As one can expect the affair gets out of hand and superhero tactics ensue. This particular comic influenced the film, X2.
I'd say the mental nightmares for Xavier were the best. A lot of this was above average to somewhat good in story elements. Some of the superheroes had t
Nicolo Yu
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
For Halloween book number 3, I picked a graphic novel that is not a horror story. Rather, it is a commentary on the influence of religion, especially Evangelical Christianity, on society, juxtaposed with the race struggle as depicted in X-Men comics.

This is an influential story, if only that it served as the inspiration for the second X-Men movie and the best critically received of the trilogy. This is Chris Claremont at his finest, as he is unencumbered by page size and count and the oppressive
Robert
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Wants a Direct Route to What the X-Men are About
I'd heard so much about this story for years, mainly how it served as the inspiration for the X2 film, but I never realized it was a standalone, not-quite-in-contiuity graphic novel in four parts. So despite it coming out in '82, it was a LOT more hard hitting than I'd ever expected.

OK, so cold-blooded child murder basically on page one? The X-Men cartoon this ain't!

Claremont only cranks up the stakes from there, introducing the now-familiar plot of using a mind-controlled Xavier to destroy all
Zach Freking-Smith
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think whenever someone tells me that they support Trump, I'm going to hand them this book and say, "This is you. These people in this book are you. Look at your life. Look at your choices."

It's a very gripping, chilling, and real story about a reverend who has all the power in the world and wants to use it to wipe out mutantkind because they "aren't human beings". The scariest part is how many people support him in his crusade against these people. Horrifying.

Check it out, definitely worth th
James DeSantis
I just couldn't really get into this much. I get what it's going for, and I know how important it is to talk about racism and address it, but this just didn't work for me. Maybe it's a product of its time but it felt very...hamfisted? Best way I can probably describe it.

It starts off interesting enough. Watching two innocent mutants, who happen to be black, gun downed by the extreme religious pieces of shit ran by Stryker. When there's an attack on the X-Men, the X-men and Magneto actually team
Christopher (Donut)
I guess I feel about this now what I did when it came out.. that it is a mediocre to bad X-Men story, and far, far from the profound, timeless parable that Chris Claremont (and everyone else?) considers it.

So that collecting a run of Uncanny X-Men, say 138-143, and calling it Days of Future Past, makes a much better graphic novel than this grandiose super-comic.
Latasha
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This is the first X Man book I've read. I knew what it was about going in but hearing it and seeing it is so different. This was such a tense book. The first few pages are something you can never unsee. It's heartbreaking. This story is still relevant today and that's such a sad, sad thing.
Aline
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
incrível como essa história continua atual e ainda precisa ser aprendida.
Diz
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This story of an out-of-control evangelical minister whose goal is to eradicate mutants from the planet seems really relevant to today's political climate. My only complaint is that there are several fake-out deaths. The first time is cheesy, but when it happens again later in the book, it feels like emotional manipulation. However, the message that we should accept those who are different from us is what kept me interested in this book.
Jamie Connolly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Perfect. I’m not sure I ever said that before but it was a perfect book. Also had a great into and interviews at the end too. The prologue stands out as being particularly well done. 5 stars.
Alex
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the boldest statement in mainstream comics ever written. God Loves, Man Kills breaks the monthly comic format and delivers an extended mediatation on what it means to be one of societies outsiders via the well known X-Men mutant metaphor and it does it with style and power.

A bold statement because there are no enemies here except society itself and Claremont doesn't avoid controversy when he points his finger at the door of either religious intolerance or self-imaging and advertising. O
Trey
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
There's a lot I like about this story, even though it's also got its share of melodrama and overwriting which hasn't aged well. But William Stryker is a great character -- most other anti-mutant demagogues or fundamentalists in comics aren't this fully humanized -- and Claremont of course has a firm grasp on the X-Men. It's also readable without knowing anything about the X-men, and encapsulates the themes, character elements, and superhero elements that have made it an enduring property. And al ...more
Cyndi
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fairly good story. Self-contained, but beefed up the mythos well. Some parts seemed overly dramatic and somewhat stereotypical.

The basis of self acceptance and self trust was well played.

One shocker for me, being a first time reader, was the use of the Twin Towers as a torture spot...almost a little too close to home. I so miss those beautiful buildings.
Brandon St Mark
This was a really great story. A lot of people call Watchmen required reading, and it definitely is another great comic, but if there was only one comic I could recommend to someone, I would choose this over the Watchmen anyday. Especially with our currently political and religious climate (at least in the US), this is still poignant and necessary. If people really wanted to make america great again, they'd do well to listen to what this book is saying, ijs.
Paul
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
OK, finally got around to re-reading it.
My edition was released in 1982, so I guess the first time I read this I was 20 years old... Re-reading it today, 30 years later, I had absolutely no memory as to what the story was, not the remotest bit of memory.
However, it's not every comics that gets to sit on a shelf for 30 years without either being sold, given away or dumped in a 30 year period. So, this must have had some sort of effect as I still had it.

WARNING - May Contain Spoilers...

My current
Carlos Lavín
I love a good bash against religion. I truly, truly do. I'm just a sucker for them.

This book is 30 years old and, as with any old comic, the art and some of the dialogue do seem very dated. I think the dialogue in comic books (or graphic novels, whatever) suffers more from dating because it's a bit more down-to-earth and colloquial, which makes the language mutations (see what I did there?) more noticeable.

Also, a lot of self-explanation in the dialogue occurs, which can be a bit annoying. I'm s
Nico Chiodi
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the things I love about the X-Men is, as writer Chris Claremont says, that they are the ultimate minority. Hated by humanity because they look different and act different, mutants remain loyal to those who would kill them if they could, and try to talk peace to them. Even Magneto, the X-Men's classic villain, is not un-relatable: he lived through the Holocaust and fears that humanity is planning another genocide on his people: he thinks that if he were to rule, it would be so much better. ...more
JB
Jan 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected a lot more of this one. I heard and read a lot about this story and although it was alright, it kind of dissapoints.

Let me start by telling what I did like. I did like the portrayal of Magneto. His grand entrance in Madison Square Garden. I could almost hear the metal squeaking as he tore of the roof. I also liked the way Stryker recited biblical passages in the "appropriate" situations. I didn't like how Professor X was portrayed. Especially in the end. He was a mess, even questioni
Allie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Now this is what an X-Men graphic novel should be! Such an excellent read with an outstanding story and good illustrations. A big thank you to Gianfranco for recommending it!
Joe Jungers
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first X-Men graphic novel.

I raged, I cried, I thought about religion.

Jeff Skott
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harsh read but still rings true

God loves, Man kills was done in the 80s and paints a bleak picture of our intolerance whether it's of other races, other creeds, or in this case mutants...well done..sad not much has changed since then.
Simon
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was attached to “Days of future past”. The art and tone in Days was dated and cartoonish. Here was opposite: dark, mature themes and violent. William Stryker is crazy dangerous preacher hunting down mutants. Great read.
Jenna Scherer
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
THE definitive X-Men story. Also Reverend Stryker and his murderous intolerance disguised as righteousness is unfortunately super relevant for our current moment.
  • Fantastic Four Visionaries: John Byrne, Vol. 1
  • Uncanny X-Force, Volume 3: The Dark Angel Saga, Book 1
  • The Death of Captain Marvel
  • Avengers Legends, Vol. 1: Avengers Forever
  • Doctor Strange, Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark Hors

Marvel Graphic Novel (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • The Death of Captain Marvel
  • Elric: The Dreaming City
  • Dreadstar
  • The New Mutants
  • Star Slammers
  • Killraven: Warrior of the Worlds
  • Super Boxers
  • The Futurians (The Futurians, #1)
  • Heartburst