Start by marking “Winter Magic” as Want to Read:
Winter Magic

Winter Magic

A beautiful and classic anthology of frosty, magical short stories from acclaimed children’s writers.

The Dreamsnatcher’s Abi Elphinstone heads up this gorgeous collection of wintery stories, featuring snow queens, frost fairs, snow dragons and pied pipers . . . from classic children’s writers Michelle Magorian, Geraldine McCaughrean, Jamila Gavin, Berlie Doherty, Katherin
Published November 3rd 2016 by Simon Schuster Children's UK

To ask other readers questions about Winter Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Magic

Sigourney
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
‘Winter is a season that sparkles with magic and transforms our ordinary world into a glittering kingdom: rooftops covered in snow, lakes glazed with ice and windows frosted white. It is a time of year that invites exploration and whispers of adventure. And at the heart of it all there is a sense of longing – for snowflakes, stockings and sledging, of course – but also, for stories.’ – Abi Elphinstone

Winter Magic is a wonderfully festive collection of short stories, and one poem, curated by A
Jade Louise
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Winter Magic is an anthology of short stories all revolving around the winter season, written by a number of children's authors. The collection was curated by Abi Elphinstone, who also has a story of her own within the book, alongside ten other authors. The author that drew me to the book initially was Emma Carroll, who is my favourite middle grade author, and her story within definitely didn't disappoint. Although going in knowing only the one author, I've come away wanting to read the entire w ...more
msBookLand
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful collection of short stories written by some of my favourite authors. These stories are sweet and enjoyable, it's interesting that you can get as attached to a character in 50 pages as you can in 1000!

This was a fabulous read I definitely recommend it
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
I'm kind of happy and disappointed at the same time. First of all, the edition that I read isn't on Goodreads, which is sad, because the cover was gorgeous. And second, in case you didn't know, Winter Magic is a collection of short stories for children between the ages of 8-12 (I think). I read this because hey, it's nearly Christmas, and let's all read children's books at Christmas. I did really like this for the most part, but there were some elements which I found disappointing. Which is ge ...more
Marie the Librarian
This book is just pure magic. Pure winter magic. The title really doesn't lie, and I gotta admit this was a cover buy. Plus it sounded intriguing and I was in the mood for novellas. AND MAN I AM SO GLAD I BOUGHT IT. ITS SO MAGICAL AND THESE AUTHORS ARE GREAT AND JUST YAY! There's magic, snow, cold, winter, friendship and warmth in these stories.
Bev
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous chocolate box of a book, filled with stories to delight and enchant you. Fantastic authors have contributed to this anthology and I was captivated by every tale, encountering the Pied Piper and the Snow Queen and getting to know many other characters that I had not met before. Perfect for curling up on the sofa with.
Milly Potter
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really lovely collection of short stories! A couple in particular were just so good!
Hafsa
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts on the stories varied a lot, but overall the stories ranged from the bad side to the good side of average - not perfect, but not terrible either.
Christine
What a fantastic collection! Every single story wasn't a 5-star read, but overall this is a wonderfully curated anthology I know I will revisit in the future. I may not read it straight through again, but it would be fun to dip in and out of during the winter/Christmas season.

This experience has made me want to fit more short stories into my reading routine and reminded me that shorter works can be satisfying in their own right. I was always hesitant in the past, feeling there wasn't enough to
Beth
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit that I have mixed feelings about this Anthology. I really enjoyed some of the stories, but I was also really disappointed in others. I was also disappointed that two of the stories in this book where not originals, but stories based off/in the worlds the author had created in their books, meaning that you couldn’t really read them without being spoiled for the books. But, that aside, the rest of the book was pretty enjoyable. I really liked that this was a winter Anthology, not a Ch ...more
Anna-Lisa
„A Night at the Frost Fair“ by Emma Carroll – 3,5 stars: Very special message in this short story!

„The Magic of Midwinter“ by Amy Alward – 1,5 stars: I didn’t enjoy this story much. I didn’t like the characters and couldn’t connect to this world. Possibly because it’s a short story to a ongoing book series by the author.

„The Voice in the Snow“ by Michelle Harrison – 4 stars: Very nice story with a cute little love story. It was full of magic and got me from the first page on! Plus I’m interested
Joanne
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december-2018
A collection of wintery short stories, this book is perfect to read in the cold winter months! There are elves to a snow dragon to a wishing book - the pages are brimming with magic and I enjoyed the majority of the stories inside. Here's a breakdown of the eleven short stories and my ratings for each:
• A Night at the Frost Fair by Emma Carroll 4☆
• The Magic of Midwinter by Amy Alward 4☆
• The Voice in the Snow by Michelle Harrison 3☆
• The Cold-Hearted by Geraldine McCaughrean 2☆
• Casse-Noisette
Donna Frances
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
There were a few stories in this i really enjoyed-A night at the frost fair by Emma Carroll-Mainly because I'm partial to a fair & a bit of gingerbread-This was a nice winter magical story-a Grandmother gives her Granddaughter age old gingerbread after giving her sister a beautiful brooch. By comparison stale gingerbread just doesn't cut it. The girl is transported back in time & the reason for the gingerbread revealed.
A voice in the snow by Michelle Harrison-A very imaginative tale whi
Lucy
Actual Rating: 2.75 stars

I usually love children's fiction but this was so disappointing. I just didn't enjoy most of the stories and they were all a bit boring.

- A Night At The Frost Fair by Emma Carroll - 3/5
Lisa
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
3.5 stars.
Favourites were the stories by Amy Alward, Katherine Woodfine and Abi Elphinstone. (Shall definitely add 'The potion diaries' to the TBR list now). Enjoyed all the stories although I think some of them would have had more of an impact if I'd read the series that the characters appeared in.
Ella
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A collection of amazing, well written stories from very talented authors- would recommend to lovers of fantasy/adventure.
Jennifer Berner
This was a sweet book, with fun stories to read when it's icy and snowy outside.
Alina Maria Ciobanu
A delightful collection of winter stories. ☃❄ ...more
Todayiamadaisy
This is a collection of YA stories, with a common theme of winter. One twee little poem, a couple of really good stories, and all the rest are perfectly fine, so it was a pleasant and easy read.
Emma
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I just didn't click with this one. There was only 1 or 2 stories I actually liked.
Galina
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was enjoyable, I just found out the little stories like this isn’t really my thing.
Small Fairy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A collection of wintery tales which left me feeling warm, cosy and content!
Caitlin
A collection of lovely, magical middle grade stories! By far, “The Snow Dragon” was my favorite of the bunch and a beautiful way to end the collection.
A warm-hearted read perfect for snow days, and a reminder to always be on the lookout for magic.
Pippa Wilson
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This magical collection sparkles with all the essential elements of children’s literature in one beautiful edition.

Firstly, it’s a rare treat to find so many award winning authors in one place: and this is a stellar compilation, curated by the ever-sparkly Abi Elphinstone. Winter Magic is a seasonal celebration of some of the best writing talent in the world of children’s literature. (And secondly, it’s really hard to give all these fabulous authors the credit they deserve in a review!)

Eleven d
Anne
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first read in the 52Book2017 challenge although I cheated a bit by starting this last week.

Winter Magic is a treat, a collection of stories by some of the very best of today's children's authors. This is simply perfect to curl up with on a dark evening and find yourself transported in both time and place. There are adventures, thrills, thoughtful ideas, loyal friendships, time travel, bravery, kindness and plenty of snow in the selection. I particularly liked that some of the stories refered
T.E. Shepherd
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By their very nature, collections of short stories will be a mixed bag of winners and losers. This collection stands above that. Most collections are 'edited by' someone, but this book is different; this book is 'curated by' Abi Elphinson, and you really get the feeling that she has brought together these stories though a love of them much like objects are curated in a museum. She hasn't touched, or changed these stories, just brought them together in one, beautiful volume.

There are some stando
Chloe-anne Richardson
Some excellent short stories in this collection and some not so great. A nice winter Christmas read.
Robin Stevens
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, wintery collection of short stories from some wonderful MG voices. These all have something to recommend them, but the stories that have particularly stayed with me are Piers Torday's creepy exploration of why you should be grateful for what you already have, Abi Elphinstone's beautiful Matilda-with-ice-dragons, and Katherine Woodfine's lovely Nutcracker origin story. 8+

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in any marketing material, online o
Katie
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
3,5-4 stars. Some stories were absolutely wonderful but some did not leave that much of an impression on me.
Ruth
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read & reviewed for the bookbag: http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/i...

• A Literary Christmas: An Anthology
  • The Power of Three (Secret Breakers, #1)
  • Silent Nights: Christmas Mysteries
  • Die Wormworld Saga: Die Reise beginnt
  • A Coyote Solstice Tale
  • Round the Christmas Fire: Festive Stories
  • Curse of the Harvester (Dream Jumper, #2)
  • Love Songs For the Shy and Cynical
  • Bad Endings
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • John the Balladeer (Silver John)
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • The Clue is in the Pudding (Pennyfoot Hotel #20)
  • Bear Down, Bear North: Alaska Stories
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • Doctor Who: The Legends of Ashildr
  • Begin, End, Begin: A #LoveOzYA Anthology
Abi Elphinstone grew up in Scotland where she spent most of her childhood building dens, hiding in tree houses and running wild across highland glens. After being coaxed out of her tree house, she studied English at Bristol University and then worked as a teacher.

THE DREAMSNATCHER is her debut novel for 8-12 years (published by Simon & Schuster in 2015). THE SHADOW KEEPER is her second childr