Start by marking “Bee & Me” as Want to Read:
Bee & Me

Bee & Me

We hear much about the plight of the bumble bee population and its implications for our planet’s future. This beautiful picture book makes the story personal and brings a message of hope. A little girl befriends a bee, which takes her on a journey of discovery and to an action each child can take to aid in conservation. Alison Jay’s original artwork brings the story gently ...more
Published 2016 by Old Barn Books

To ask other readers questions about Bee & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bee & Me

Start your review of Bee & Me
Calista
This wordless book tells a surreal tale. A girl takes care of a bee and learns about them along the way. She helps it grow and then lets it go saying goodbye. She is sad during the winter. The bee returns in the spring and all is happy again.

I enjoyed the art and as the cover shows, the bee grows big enough the girl takes a ride on the bee. It has the point of taking care of the bees who give us so much. It’s a simple sweet story. I appreciate the art and it is a soft tale.

The kids went
Colleen Fauchelle
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-favorites
I know I am 51 but this book is beautiful and I have been looking at it at work for a year. My husband gave me a book voucher and I decided to use it for this book because I didn't want to miss out on owning it.

There are no words to this story, But the pictures are delightful and it is a beautiful story about a girl and a bee that flys into her home one day and the bee ends up staying. This book brings a smile to my face and isn't that the best excuse to buy the book. :)
Melki
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely story about a friendship between a girl and a giant bee. The illustrations are to die for!

description

description
J & J
Feb 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book stole the plot to The Bee Movie. There's nothing original here.
Edward Sullivan
A delightful whimsical wordless tale with an important closing note explaining the plight of the dwindling honeybee population and suggests plants that readers can grow to help bee populations.
Jess Jackson
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bee and me is a picture book with no words. Which I loved.
My toddler and I enjoyed looking at the pictures and I enjoyed weaving the story using our imagination, because there are no words there is ample opportunity for discussion about what is going on in the pictures. It brings the child into the story and engages their imagination.
Beautifully illustrated it's one for all kids bookcases.
Megan
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
All I want to know is how Alison Jay wrote an entire book about me without me knowing it??
Angelina
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful pictures and a great story and message! A must!
Michelle Olson
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute illustrations and easy to follow story. Reminded me of when I was a kid trying to resuscitate the bees that had fallen in our pool.
Beth Wisniewski
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute and really brings home the importance of bees and how devastating their loss would be to our planet!

The art is fantastic and doesn't need words to tell the story of a girl and the Bee she befriends.
Jen
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's so much to delight in. A magical friendship with a bee. Examining the stories in the other illustrated apartment windows. Thinking about how each of us has the power to create pollinator pathways....
Jennifer B.
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice little book about bee awareness.

I have seen that everyone has said this is a picture book without words. The version that I read (Spanish) most definitely had words.
Michael Earp
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alison Jay's work is always beautiful! This is no different.
Michele Knott
A book to share in the spring, but also to go along with your science unit! I was happy to see the end notes that give some factual information to add to the information embedded within the story.
Abigail
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Children's Stories About Bees / Fans of Wordless Picture-Books
When a weary bee lands on her windowsill, the little girl in Bee & Me decides to help him, rather than attack. Feeding him sugary syrup, she nurses him back to health and then sets him free, only to see him return during a rainstorm. Soon the two are inseparable, and as the bee grows to unexpected sizes, the two have many wonderful adventures together. Then summer comes to an end and they must part. Is it the end of their friendship...?

Intended (according to the dust-jacket flap) to raise
Brenda
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This delightful wordless book is not only entertaining; it also teaches readers/listeners about the importance of bees in our world. When a lonely girl in the city befriends a bee, the magical, fantastical journey begins. As the story evolves and the bee leaves for the winter, the girl makes friends with a boy in her building and the fun continues in a city changed by the bee. Alison Jay's lush oil painted illustrations enhance the magical quality of the story, but in a note at the end, she ...more
Kalynda
I love wordless books! I really need to start a collection of them. They offer such a different type of reading engagement that you can return to the story again and again, and "read" it a different way each time, based on your new experiences or your creativity. This is one I would want for my collection. Although it is more of a fantasy tale, I appreciate how it starts out with fear of the bee, to seeking more knowledge and understanding, to going on an adventure with the bee and experiencing ...more
Joseph Ghione
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although there this is a wordless picture book, this one is at the top of the list. I was first introduced to Bee & Me while at one of my special education placements at Lock Haven University. A student with disabilities would come in every morning ecstatic to flip through this book with me. Alison Jay did an amazing job with her colorful and imaginative illustrations that takes you on a wild adventure of what a child saw while she was flying on the back of a bee. The book displays the ...more
The Brothers
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very charming wordless book about a little girl who befriends a bee. She feeds him sugar water and he begin to grow to humongous size. They live in a city and the bee becomes homesick for a field of flowers so the girl hops on his back and off they fly to such a field. It is late fall by this time, so they gather the seeds from the wild flowers and scatter them all across the city when they fly back home. Over the coming seasons, the seeds grow and bloom and turn the city into a ...more
Gretchen
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classroom-use
This is a beautiful wordless picture book that talks about the plight of the bees and the sad fact that so much of our world is becoming concrete and buildings instead of green plants. I could see this book being used for the skill of inferring and summarizing because they have to use their own words since the author doesn't supply any but does supply a wonderful story.
Amanda
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a wordless picture book that tells us the story of the friendship between a girl and a bee! Some of the pages have several panels of illustrations. It could be a little hard for a younger reader to follow. It would be a good book to read with someone who is unsure about bees. The last page has a little blurb about why bees are so good and how important they are!
Kate
Olivia Robertson
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful picture book, which communicates the importance of caring for our environment and looking after our bees. It also conveys a moral message about friendship. Would not hesitate to use this as a stimulus for a class topic!
Dna
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
So freakin adorable!!
Engel Dreizehn
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful if surreal wordless parable on why it's important to be nice to bees and their role in the environment.
Anastasia Alexandra
Has some helpful tips at the end and mentions bee-friendly flowers.
Seema Rao
Rich illustrations tell the story of a girl and her friend a bee. Through this journey, you can see what a fee really does. (though it's really more about what a girl's life is like.)
Nona
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a wordless book. a make up your on story book. We love these and this one is full of compassion and kindness and friendship and some magic
Olivia
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No words, just lovely illustrations. The story can be whatever you want it to be. The colors are cheerful. A happy read on a dreary day. May make you want to plant a bee garden.
Ginny
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A review of this and a handful of other charming books from our local children’s library:

« previous 1 3 next »

• Misunderstood Shark
  • Fletcher and the Falling Leaves
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Bunny's Book Club
Alison Jay was born in Hertfordshire, grew up in Derbyshire and studied graphic design in London where she now lives. After graduating she worked in animation for a short while but gradually started to get commissions in illustration. She works in Alkyd a quick drying oil paint on paper and sometimes adds a crackle varnish to give the work an aged appearance. She has worked in all areas of ...more