Start by marking “Demon's Blood (Demon's Blood #1)” as Want to Read:
Demon's Blood (Demon's Blood #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Demon's Blood

(Demon's Blood #1)

Immortal blood is precious and Kokawa Taku’s makes him especially unique.

After vampire hunters force them to flee Tokyo, Taku and his lover, Thane, try to make a new life for themselves in England. But three months later Thane is still tormented by nightmares of the fire that almost cost them their lives. This leads to carelessness and the discovery of one of his victims.

W
Published April 23rd 2016 by Farnhurst Publishing (first published January 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Demon's Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demon's Blood

Start your review of Demon's Blood (Demon's Blood #1)
Martine Carlsson
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know Japan had its own vampire mythology. The only kinds of vampires I know are Stoker's, Rice's, and Vampire the Masquerade (I don't want to hear about glittering vampires, zombie vampires...). So at first, I was surprised by the two main characters' behavior. I couldn't understand why, after so many breaches against "the Masquerade", there weren't hordes of vampires wanting to eliminate them. Especially because they were too old for such kind of mistakes. Then, I realized the story fo ...more
Rebecca Crunden
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is such a great take on the normal vampire genre! Having read Never Change, I was eager to get back into this world and continue Thane and Taku's story. Sakurai's attention to detail is wonderfully immersive and magical, and I'm so curious to see what happens in Demon's Life.

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Ana Meyer
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an Ann Rice vampire traditionalist so it is hard for me to read books with a different take on vampires but I opened my mind and I really enjoyed this novel. I liked the blending of cultures and the dimension that added to the book. Giving vampires a more human side is a growing trend in the vampire literature genre and I am split a bit on it but it is done well in this book and made for an engaging read.
Aly
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another vampire book, but I was surprised at how different it was. I enjoyed some of the vampire lore and the characters. I am a suck for vampire romance as well. So I enjoyed this book. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Rose Auburn
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Demon’s Blood is the first book in a series and introduces vampires, Taku and Thane, who are also lovers. They have fled Tokyo after being targeted by vampire hunters and have begun a new life in England. However, both vampires cannot flee for long. Thane is wracked by nightmares of their time in Tokyo. He begins to lose heed of Taku’s warnings and advice, becoming so careless in his hunting that police suspicions grow. Meanwhile, whilst helping his lover cover his tracks, Taku is also desperate ...more
Stevie McCoy
The book is about two male vampires that love each other, are hunted for a mysterious reason that is revealed later in the story, GREAT PLOT TWIST, and I love the take on vampires. Absolutely intrigued with the Japanese culture references, and lore. I am a big sucker for Japanese culture, I was that nerd that watched anime... ALL the time in high school. I even tried to learn Japanese, but failed miserably because no one will speak it with me, so learning vocabulary is difficult. I'm also a fan ...more
Infantina
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, series
I am glad to have come across this surprisingly bone-chilling novel about vampires. When a golden opportunity to express my opinion fell on my lap, would I hesitate by declining the offer?. No, I won't. What separates this novel apart from other vampire stories I have had the pleasure of devouring is that this is an emotional love story between queers. Isn't it a news for me? It piqued my curiosity to the peak.

Demon's blood by Shari Sakurai is the first book in a series.Most of the story happens
Destiny Bridwell
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I got this book awhile back and just reading the blurb I was not sure how my thoughts would go once I read it. I have a love for vampires and this book itself gave me a new look at them. Most authors are traditionalists when it comes to the creatures of the night. This introduced me to vampires using Japanese Mythology. I love the characters. One could almost feel the emotions of what Taku and Thane are going through with nightmares, s ...more
Ashley
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[3.5/5]
Demon's blood is about two vampires after they flee Tokyo because of a house fire caused by vampire hunters. It's the story of how they try to make a new life for themselves in England. The two vampires are Kokawa Taku and his lover, Thane. Months later, Thane is still having nightmares of the fire that almost took their undead lives. Thane later becomes careless, which leads to the discovery of one of his victims. His lover, Taku, on the other hand tries to deal with the aftermath, but T
Leticia
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Cross posted on Shh, I Am Reading

This was… a surprisingly different take on vampires.

Taku and Thane are the main protagonists. Thane is Taku’s lover, having committed himself to being immortal.
After a fire erupted in their apartment from vampire hunters, Taku and Thane flee Tokyo and head to England, where Thane is originally from.

Thane, despite being immortal, keeps his humanity quite close to his heart. He dreads taking liv
Kris
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Demon`s Blood tells the story of Vampires Taku and Thane, of their love for each other and their struggle to stay ahead of a world that bekomes constantly harder for them to survive in. Not only must they face hunters and other Vampires, but with technology becoming steadily more advanced the threat of the law catching up with them becomes more and more evident with each murder they are forced to commit to stay alive. All the while Thane, who is not that old yet (from a Vampire point of view), t ...more
SerialReader
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has been written by someone who clearly loves and understand Japanese culture.
I enjoyed reading Demon's Blood even if I was a bit skeptical about the whole vampire situation, but I have to say that was absolutely enjoyable.
Arlene
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately,there wasn't any likeable characters in the entire book. It was much to slow for me and the ending was entirely unsatisfying,it almost seemed like a set up for a sequel. ...more
Bea
I had the opportunity to read this book as given to me by the author for an honest review.

Normally vampire romances are stories that are fluffy and full of sexy romance and lots of blood sex. Yes, they might have a shiny sheen to them or they might be a coven who hunt werewolves. But we rarely get stories that are like those of ancient tales of Dracula and Vlad the Impaler.

However, Demon’s Blood , by Shari Sakurai is not your typical vampire romance. In fact, I would not call this book a romanc
Nick Rossi
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best parts of being a book reviewer is the exposure to different narrative voices and the stories they have to tell. A writer’s ability to share details, express realistic dialogue, and to depict well-crafted plot developments can take a formulaic genre and spin it into something new and refreshing. This is precisely what Shari Sakurai’s "Demon’s Blood" does with the overexposed vampire genre.

In her tale, Sakurai presents a hero and his partner who strive to make themselves better, de
Kristen Cansler
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r, blog-review
This is another book that normally wouldn't land on my radar. I'm not a big fan of Japanese culture, I've never watched anime, etc etc. But I was drawn in by Demon's Blood. The biggest draw for me was that Shari portrayed vampires in such a traditional sense. I really enjoyed that aspect and how she wrote her vampires. It was such a nice change from the cuddly, soft vampires that have taken over lately!

Shari is such a good writer and Demon's Blood is an excellent debut novel. Sure, there are
K.P. Merriweather
PERSONAL REVIEW
finally finished the novel! it took me a bit as it seriously dragged in places and i wanted to throw my tablet in frustration but powered through it.
This is a dark story about a cursed vampire, his place in his world, and the people affected. the novel gives a different take on vampire lore, which I found interesting. The main characters are not likeable and aren't made to be as such, since they are monsters.
Though the prologue threw me at first, as I continued on, I realised the
Rebecca
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given the opportunity to read this book by the author, this story revealing the darkness of vampires, and though they are not completely inhuman, they are not the romanticized version of vampires.

Taku and his lover, Thane, were forced to flee from Tokyo in hopes of settling somewhere more peaceful and starting over, but that is not to be. Now in England, it seems that Thane still cannot control his violent urges and it soon gets them into a world of hurt.

While I enjoyed the book's darker
Lisa
Feb 23, 2014
Shari Sakurai
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Zoe
Mia Redgrave
Betty
Frederick Rotzien
Sep 02, 2014
Fringe Fiction: Demon's Blood by Shari Sakurai - Horror 1 12 Dec 28, 2014 02:17PM
Indie Authors Mon...: Demon's Blood by Shari Sakurai 2 22 Sep 03, 2014 03:06PM
Sci-Fi, fantasy a...: Demon's Blood by Shari Sakurai 2 6 Sep 03, 2014 03:05PM

• RAINY SEASON: A Heartbreaker Noir Romance
  • First, Do No Harm
  • BloodLaw (Vampire Chicago #1)
  • Mordecai's Ashes (Larsson Investigations Book 1)
  • Sands of Time: A collection of thought-provoking stories
  • The Education of Delhomme
  • The Conviction: Enacting Vigilante Justice
  • Nightmare
  • The Mermaids Melt at Dawn
  • Sins in Blue
  • Find Me (Trust Me, Find Me #2)
  • NOUSOPOLIS
  • The Mummy of Monte Cristo
  • Locked In
  • Blood and Silver
  • Finnegan Found- Surviving the POW Camps on the Yalu
  • Horatio
  • April's Heart
Shari Sakurai is a British author of paranormal, horror, science fiction and fantasy novels that almost always feature a LGBTQ protagonist and/or antagonist. She has always loved to write and it is her escape from the sometimes stressful modern life!

Aside from writing, Shari enjoys reading, watching movies, listening to (loud!) music, going to rock concerts and learning more about other societies

Demon's Blood (3 books)
  • Demon's Life (Demon's Blood #2)
  • Never Change (Demon's Blood #3)