Start by marking “Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs” as Want to Read:
Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs

Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs

THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER ~ NIGEL - One of Britain's favourite dogs!
'CHARMING, AFFECTING AND OFTEN BEAUTIFUL' India Knight
When Monty Don's golden retriever Nigel became the surprise star of BBC Gardeners' World inspiring huge interest, fan mail and his own social media accounts, Monty Don wanted to explore what makes us connect with animals quite so deeply. In many resp
Published November 21st 2017 by Two Roads

To ask other readers questions about Nigel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nigel

Deb
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, light read. This book takes us through Monty's time at Longmeadow and he shares memories of the changes he and his family have made/ lived through and the various and many different doggy companions that have shared in this. He details highlights from his first dogs as a young man right through to Nigel and the ups and downs along the way. There is no sentimental clap trap within - the only regrets hinted at are those where Monty delayed doing the right thing by a pet dog to meet his o ...more
Karen Mace
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an absolute delight to read as we hear of Monty and his love of dogs, and those that have been part of his family over the years, concentrating mainly on Nigel - the star of Gardener's World! - and how he came into their life and how he has fitted in with gardening life and been such a superstar over the years! His particular quirks and routines were so funny to read about and just show how an owner builds up such a relationship with an animal due to all the time they spend together.

Lov
Felix Hayman
Sep 23, 2016 is currently reading it
This is Nigel, the most famous dog in the UK.He is the retriever that is owned by gardener and writer, Monty Don,So what could be more boring than a book about him, but his owner Monty Don has written a gentle and sympathetic account of his life with Nigel which gives us an insight not only to "a dog's life" but, like most of Monty's other books,into the writer's life as well.For those who love "Gardener's World" and for those who have been captivated by Monty's outlook on life, there will be no ...more
Stew
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
obviously I love dogs, so a book about a dog is going to grab my attention! A good read, certainly reminds me of the dogs i've owned in my life and everything that comes with them. The love, bonding, friendship and also the inevitable, unenviable heartbreak.
Worth reading whether you're a fan of the author, his dog and the show. or just a dog lover like myself :)
Sarah Lee
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful read. I haven't read any other books by Monty Dom but this really appealed to me. A great book about Monty, his garden at Long Meadow but predominately about the dogs he has loved through his life, focusing mainly on Nigel. Well, I don't know about you but I just love Nigel, he is such a character. I loved this book, Monty's love for his dogs clearly shines through in his writing and I must admit there were a few times I had tears in my eyes while reading this.
Emma-Jane Goode
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like this book as I am an avid Gardener's World fan and love watching Monty (and Nigel and Nellie) on a Friday night. This book was a lovely snapshot into Monty's dogs although having lost my dog only 5 months ago I cried every time one of the dogs died!
Amanda
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book, it is a real treat as yes it's about Nigel (if you watch gardners world he's the main star of the show) but also other dogs that Monty Don has had, the love you have for a dog and how they are so part of the family is truly seen in this book, what makes him pick the dogs and training too. I love the ending where it lists his dogs the years and there personality, his newest dog Nell he has put 'naughty, very naughty' I'm hoping we will have a book about Nell. I think the bo ...more
Christopher Willey
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-tonia
Listened to the audio book with Tonia. 100% in the car.

Which was hard because there are multiple dog funerals in this book.

That said the story is full of life, dogs, gardening, food, and glimpses behind the scenes of a human I truly admire. Read by Monty Don himself.

It’s lovely. It’s good medicine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
John Williams
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Love dogs so I really enjoyed this book. It describes the characters of the many dogs that shared his life and their lucky large playground, his beautiful garden. Well written with some interesting facts about dogs and of course plants.
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Goodness me I hardly ever get to see Gardener's World these days watching so little TV but the phenomenon that is Nigel had not escaped me and I knew Monty Don to be a writer worth reading, so I was in.

And it is a lovely, straightforward account of Monty Don's dogs (apparently the family have more but they are not 'his' in quite the same way), principally a love letter to Nigel the golden retriever who has stolen the show.

There was a lot less about Nigel's impact on Monty's mental health than I
Wendy Dranfield
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was an enjoyable and easy read about Monty's gardens and his dogs. Anyone who loves watching Gardeners' World and loves Nigel and Nellie, will find this a lovely relaxing read, with some laughs as well as sorrow. It was heartbreaking to read about the deaths of each dog, but as Monty himself says; you can't have a pet without the responsibility of knowing they won't live forever. The behind-the-scenes details about filming the show were interesting too. It's not as simple as Monty make ...more
Jan Duthie
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must admit to being a fan of Nigel and enjoy seeing him on Gardeners World with his new sidekick Nell. Monty Don writes of two of his deep loves -his dogs and his garden and it is that very sincerity and depth of feeling which makes this a very interesting read. Nigel and his predecessors have followed Monty through the ups and downs of his life as part of his family greatly loved and missed. All those fortunate enough to share their life with dogs never forget what was special about each one ...more
Barrie Hedges
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This isn't just about the relationship between Britain's best loved gardener and the immensely popular Golden Retriever that shares his TV spotlight. It's about his very individual love for each of his dogs since boyhood - each tiny characteristic vividly, sentimentally and humorously recalled. But what makes this book so powerful is that every true dog lover will relate it to his or her own pets and what it is that they love about them. And if you happen to be a gardener too, well that's even b ...more
Fiona
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I loved this book and fell in love with Nigel right right from the start! He reminded me so much of my beloved golden retriever Cera. Cera is no longer with us, but reading this book brought back many memories of her in her younger years. Dogs bring so much joy to our lives and this book captures perfectly the special bond we have with them and the privilege it is to share our lives with these lovely animals.
Ton
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is it high literature? No. But it's a well-written book overflowing with a passion for nature in general, and dogs in particular. Both of which I am very familiar with. In places it is heart-breaking, and in others it is simply hilarious. I had a smile on my face for most of the time while I read this book, and that doesn't happen very often.
Angela
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
For me this was a book of two halves. I really enjoyed the sections on Nigella and the other dogs. I had not expected there to be quite so much detail about gardening.
Whilst this was undoubtedly well written and informative it was not what I expected and for me detracted from the pleasure of the book.
Jamie Bowen
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Monty's love of dogs, and in particular Nigel, clearly shines through in this book and resonates with me very strongly. Love and heartbreak come hand in hand with owning a dog, and Monty takes through this journey a few times as he talks about his other dogs. Monty also writes about Nigel's world, the Longmeadow garden, and explains how his garden has developed over the years. Lovely book.
Tricia
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bought as a Christmas present by my other half as we both watch Gardener's World and I'm a dog fan about to get her first puppy. (Sorry, George (the cat)!)
This was a sweet account of a man, his dog(s) and his garden, but especially Nigel. Oh, & the family get a mention in passing too. Well written & confirming my belief that to be a happy gardener/walker a dog is a must.
Readsandeats
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had hoped this book would be more about Nigel than it was.
I found the bits about the garden interestign but there was too much about it.

I was expecting more about Nigel's character, what he does, how he reacts in various situations. It was also nice to hear about the other dogs that Monty has had in his life.
Carol Taylor
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book, full of love and laughter. A story of all the dogs that have been part of Monty Don's life, along with the telling of the development of the gardens he has had.

Well worth reading, especially for ideas of what to plant for different effects.
Anna
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very easy, relaxing read. You indeed feel as though you are in the beautiful garden with a beautiful dog. I have not seen the television show to which the author refers which would have undoubtedly added to the enjoyment of reading however that is certainly not necessary to enjoy the book.
Jayne
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from beginning to end. Nigel is a special dog but Monty is also a very special guy. Heartwarming and uplifting book that came at the perfect time for me
Linda
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Nigel, its one of the reasons why I watch Gardeners' World. It was a lovely light little read.
Tanya Brown
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

What a very interesting, easy reading, relaxing book. A world and life without dogs would be miserable, and Monty has put that over in this book
Lewis Birchon
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, tender and affecting, but not overly sentimental. The book equivalent of a big bowl of soup on a winter's day.
Kathy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Sentimental, fun and heart felt.
If you love dogs and gardener's world - this is the book for you.
Gumble's Yard
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Monty Don of Gardeners' World and Golden Retrievers - what's not to like
Elizabeth
What a lovely book. Really enjoyed it.
michael furneaux
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My partner bought me this as I literally talk about Nigel every week when I watch "World"

Fabulous book written by the familiar voice of Monty Donn about all his dogs throughout his life
Tracey
A truly lovely , heartwarming read. Monty Don write a lovely book that demonstrated each wonderful dogs characters. It was an emotive , magical read that deserves 5” rating .
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Nella Last's Peace: The Post-War Diaries of Housewife, 49
  • Raptor: A Journey Through Birds
  • Keeper: One House, Three Generations, and a Journey into Alzheimer's
  • Gerald Durrell: The Authorized Biography
Montagu 'Monty' Denis Wyatt Don is a German-born British television presenter, writer and speaker on horticulture, known for presenting the BBC television series Gardeners' World.
“magpies, jays, sparrowhawks, kestrels, all” 0 likes