Start by marking “Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents” as Want to Read:
Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents

Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents

This book is not a how-to-guide. It won't tell you how to get your baby to sleep, how to deal with toddler tantrums, how to be a good parent, a cool parent or even a renegade parent. It is a book about parenting that contains absolutely no useful advice whatsoever.

Instead it shares beautifully honest anecdotes and illustrations from the parenting frontline that demonstrate
Published October 6th 2016 by Coronet (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hurrah for Gin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hurrah for Gin

Jo
At times, this book made me weep with relief at not being alone, and then on the next page it would make me laugh actually out loud like a loony person. Sometimes I just nodded in agreement and sometimes I was in awe of the wisdom. I don't even drink.

Thanks, Katie Kirby. You're ace.
Lynsey
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was a Christmas present, probably picked for the sole reason that it has the word 'gin' in the title. Loving gin does not mean that you'll like this book however.
I'm not a fan of blogs and although I'm a parent, I'm not particularly interested in reading other people tales of parenting woe.
Gave up two thirds of the way through as I found it repetitive & not particularly clever or funny. Sorry!
Jamey
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
A good little chuckle and lots of LOLs. Drawings are hilarious. Parenting isn’t that funny when it’s happening but you can look back and laugh about it. And as much as mine drive me to the brink of insanity...I know when it’s over I will be sad and miss the daily grind.
Emma Gosling
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty funny and relatable. Okay for a light hearted, easy read
Jess Jackson
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
For parents everywhere who think that they are continually f****** this whole keeping small people alive up.
This is the book to reassure you that treasuring every moment is highly unlikely to happen, and that it okay. That sometimes (at 3am) It actually sucks. That this doesn't make you a bad parent.
Hurrah for Gin is funny witty and in parts deeply moving.
I think it should be given out on the labour ward. I wish I had read it when my own daughter was born.
I loved it, and read it in one sitti
Cat
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud hilarious
Bryan
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Lots of laughs during this book. Great stories, tales and theories about parenting told in a way that makes you feel not alone. So many scenarios were ones I could relate to. Although this book is clearly geared more to Moms than Dads (she does make many references to Dads) I found I could still relate to her writing. Glad I gave this a try. Especially loved the drawings. They added that extra nudge to make some of the funny points really go over the top. Fun read!
Kirstie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Light hearted easy read
Lucy Brady
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got this in my stocking, finished it by Boxing Day. Love this blog and wasn't sure how much of the book would just be repeats but there is plenty of new material. It's extremely funny but also rather touching - and quite wise. A great gift for parents of young kids.
Belinda Farrell
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is hilarious!
Jenni
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fab book! Hilarious and true.
Faye Stone
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents by Katie Kirby, even though I'm not exactly the target demographic.  I'm not a parent, perfect or otherwise.  I am, however, an imperfect Aunty to four young children with some babysitting experience and partiality for gin & tonics.  In fact, I would say that my speciality in these topics is the mixing and drinking of gin.  In fact, I'm indulging in an alcoholic Gin & Tonic Popsicle as I write up my review (thank-you Aldi, ...more
Jan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book isn't my typical read, but as it was given to me as a Christmas present (by my 25 year old son) and is the first book I've read this year, I thought I'd review it (to review my books chronologically).

I found the book quite funny as a lighthearted read, and as a parent of 3 children (no longer toddlers obviously) appreciated the author's humour on the subject of raising children. I have to admit that a lot of it did ring true - the frustration and sense of failure and guilt at not enjoy
Nikkita Isichei
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it!

Absolutely loved this book. As a first time mum this book made me laugh at the end of a tough day by reminding me it's ok to find it hard and it's even more ok to admit that without making yourself feel bad. I wish I had read this earlier as I was so tough on myself in the very early days and I now look back and wonder why I put so much pressure on myself. Would definitely recommend this book, especially if your a new mum, it's refreshingly honest and hilarious about what it'
Carrie D___
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Lol! Ain’t that the truth. Fab light read. I hate that I have chosen to use the word ‘fab’.
Surprised to have cried whilst reading Hurrah for Gin. I am breast feeding and sleep deprived.
Lots of parts I read aloud to my wife while she watched ‘The Bridge’ with subtitles.
Loved the funny parts but also the serious parts too, in particular the bit about motherhood being the point in a woman’s life when she has to ‘relearn how to live’ and when Kirby describes the realisation that she (we!) will one
Sian Thompson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to reading this book (a friend bought it for me). Then when I started reading I was a little disappointed, we aren't all parents reaching for gin bottles and just getting by. However the more I read the more I enjoyed and the more I related. I think the author is incredibly talented and I'm very impressed at the book she has written. A most read for all parents of young children, you just don't have to agree with everything she says!
🔮⚡️Voracious
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’ll be honest - I had never heard of author Katie Kirby until today and whilst browsing the local bookstore, I happened upon this book ‘Hurray For Gin’. Immediately intrigued by the cover illustration of a harassed looking mum-stick-figure (which I can oddly relate to), I bought it. I’m so glad I did. I’ve devoured this delightful book in one sitting and haven’t laughed out loud so much in ages. Highly recommended for parents everywhere.
Rachel Noding
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny little book for those 'real' parents among us! Funny stories and laugh out loud moments nicely collected in this easy to read book, complete with awesome stick man illustrations. I have rated 4 out of 5 as being a parent to an almost 10 year old, a lot of the stories, although funny, seem like a lifetime ago in order for me to relate to them fully. (which isn't a bad thing - a baby now isn't for me! ;) )
Paul Tincknell
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is more truth about real parenthood in every chapter of this book than in any of the more serious books I read before I started on the adventure. As a father of 3 boys, the oldest now 10, - the thing you learn is that sometimes getting to the end of the day with everyone still alive, fed and some semblance of sanity means you have done a great job as a parent. Anything on top of that is just showing off ! Very funny in places as well.
Trevor
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This isn't a book about gin.

I like gin.

It's a book about the tribulations of parenting, overall pretty humorous although I should point out there's nothing groundbreaking in this book that you won't have moaned at your mates about at some point.

In summary, I liked it, but the author occasionally comes across as though she's the only person who has experienced her little darlings being little sh!ts :)
Acj
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I enjoyed this book so much that I’m disappointed it’s over. Katie Kirby is completely delightful and hilarious. She definitely had me laughing throughout the book but also hit home with some pretty touching, serious stuff mixed in. Despite her downplaying giving any advice she shares some real gems. And it was such a comfort to realize similarities in our experiences: I kept pausing to tell my husband, “The Hurrah for Gin lady has this same issue with her kids!” Loved it.
Hayley
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I did kind of enjoy this one. Having a 2 year old myself made some of the anecdotes make me laugh. That said, I do believe that some of the book is made up and untruthful which spoilt it a little for me. I don’t think parenthood is anywhere near as chaotic as the author of this one describes. It was entertaining enough but I probably won’t read another of her books.
Fran Walker
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
It was a quick enjoyable read but didn't really need to be a book. I assume it started off as a series of blogs and was probably much better suited to that medium. I was entertained in the same way I'm entertained by scrolling Facebook (which I do enjoy, I'm not a mega snob), but that's just not really what I'm looking for in a book.
Nikki
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
as an imperfect parent myself i found this book incredibly consoling. it is impossible to be perfect, you are not letting your child down by not living up to every expectation you had of parenthood. you are only human. we are all winging it! this book encapsulates all this with fab humour. just what the doctor ordered!
Toni J Beacock
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!

What a laugh out loud book. I enjoyed this from start to finish and even read some of it out to the hubby, who could do with taking note of a few things.
At 7 months pregnant with my 2nd devil it was stumbled across at the right time.
Keep doing what you're doing Katie.
Mhairi Claire
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I became a mum this year and though I love my little boy more than I could have believed I also spend a lot of time feeling like I'm losing my mind. This book really made me laugh and was perfect to read in those 60 seconds of quiet with a lukewarm cup of coffee that now constitute relaxation!
Oleksandr
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
It starts as a great book about what does it mean to he a modern parent.
All those feelings and problems looks similar. Somewhere in the middle it gets a bit forced.

Three are two main points in the book:
* you are not the worst parent
* there is no perfect advice for everyone. Parenting is the journey.
Richard O'Hagan
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although it says 'parents' in the title, it is really a book aimed at mothers. Although it is funny in places, it isn't as amusing as her website is.

And a word of warning - the page numbers are irritatingly small, so you'll definitely need a bookmark to hand when reading it.
Therese
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great light read. To be read with a sense of humour, but then you'd already know that if you've read Katie's blog. I wouldn't say it's a groundbreaking book by any means, but it sure is highly relatable as a parent and makes your own feelings feel vindicated.
Martin Young
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who needs parenting classes when you have Hurrah for Gin? It was reassuring, entertaining and enlightening all while being pant-wettingly funny. Made me laugh so hard I had an asthma attack. Praise doesn't get much higher than that!
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Unmumsy Mum
  • How Not to Worry: The Remarkable Truth of How a Small Change Can Help You Stress Less and Enjoy Life More
  • The Ladybird Book of Dating
  • Eats, Shites and Leaves
  • The Magpie & the Wardrobe: A Curiosity of Folklore, Magic & Spells
  • The Unmumsy Mum Diary
  • Sgt. Frog, Vol. 2 (Sgt. Frog, #2)
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 8
  • Never Shower in a Thunderstorm
  • The Funniest Thing You Never Said: The Ultimate Collection of Humorous Quotations
  • Man Walks into a Pub: A Sociable History of Beer
  • How to be Happy (No Fairy Dust or Moonbeams Required)
  • Self-Help for Your Nerves: Learn to relax and enjoy life again by overcoming stress and fear
  • Negima! Magister Negi Magi, Vol. 13 (Negima! Magister Negi Magi, #13)
  • Electrified Sheep: Glass-Eating Scientists, Nuking the Moon, and More Bizarre Experiments
  • Dark Knights And Dingy Castles (Horrible Histories)