Start by marking “Prevailing Prayer” as Want to Read:
Prevailing Prayer

Prevailing Prayer

Examine the prayers recorded in the Bible and understand the nine essential elements of effective prayer.
Published August 8th 1987 by Moody Publishers (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Prevailing Prayer, please sign up.
Amber It's important that you go to God for Himself first and foremost. If your spouse doesn't change, will you still be able to come to God in complete tru…moreIt's important that you go to God for Himself first and foremost. If your spouse doesn't change, will you still be able to come to God in complete trust delighting in His way for your life? God is often already working on whatever we think the problem is. Look around. What has God been doing to overcome what you complain about?(less)

Start your review of Prevailing Prayer
Lance Towers
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prayer
Reading good books on prayer can assist us in praying. This is one of those books; may its assistance be yours!
JennanneJ
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity, kindle
Excellent little book on prayer. Offers excellent references to further reading on prayer. Concise points and relevant examples.
Carol
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is from Pastor Moody who was a Pastor in the 1800's. Dr. Lutzer has Pastor Moody's prayers and he made a book with them. As Dr. Lutzer suggests you should take your time in reading it, read about five pages at a time and soak it in, well it is true - what Pastor Moody had to say was so impressionable, and it is so life-changing. You can tell that he had the ear of GOD that is for sure - he touched so many lives with his sermons. Here is a little piece of what he said, "In the prayer of ...more
Becky
First sentence: THOSE WHO HAVE LEFT the deepest impression on this sin-cursed earth have been men and women of prayer.

I enjoyed reading D.L. Moody's Prevailing Prayer. Prayer is one of those subjects that is always, always relevant for believers. Not all books on prayers are created equal, I've found. Prevailing Prayer is one of the good ones.

What I appreciated most about this one is how practical it is. Moody examined what the Bible had to say about prayer and showed readers how to apply what t
Warren Benton
In this book Moody writes of many experiences with prayer. But one theme he talks about throughout if we are not willing to follow God our prayers will most likely never be answered. He says it many way, “We seem to go toward God, but, indeed reflect upon ourselves” , “If we have no desire to do that will, how can we call God “Our Father”.” In another portion he says, “If we should pray for the coming of God’s kingdom while we are rebelling against Him, we are only seeking for our own condemnati ...more
Jeanie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Depend upon it, prayer does not mean that I am to bring God down to my thoughts and my purposes, and bend His government according to my foolish, silly, and sometimes sinful notions. Prayer means that I am to be raised up into feeling, into unison and design with Him; that I am to enter into His counsel, and carry out His purpose fully.

Moody Publishing has brought this classic back and it is timely. What does prevailing prayer mean? It is prayer that is urgent and desperate for God. Prayer is n
Glen
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A devout look at believing prayer through the ministry of an American titan. This book is a compilation of sermons that covers key aspects of prayer through a biblical lens that is accompanied by several inspiring anecdotes.

The book is very accessible and provocative in the style of Moody's convicting proclamation. It caused me to deepen my dedication to pray more. I recommend this work to those who already believe in the power of prayer but want to be challenged to grow in this most critical a
Lynne
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My soul needed the convictions that came from this book. Highly recommend.
"I firmly believe that the Church of God will have to confess her own sins, before there can be any great work of grace. There must be a deeper work among God’s believing people. I sometimes think it is about time to give up preaching to the ungodly, and preach to those who profess to be Christians. If we had a higher standard of life in the Church of God, there would be thousands more flocking into the Kingdom."
Stephen
I wanted to really enjoy this book—being labeled a “Christian classic” has that effect. However, I found it a little dry and compared to other books on prayer I have read not as helpful or even more importantly moving one to a desire for prayer. It’s good but not great.
Pamela James
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and Convicting

This book is backed by Scripture which is Truth. It will move you to look at prayer deeply and with conviction.
I recommend this book to all who want a deep abiding prayer life anchored in Christ and God the Father.
Pat Ferrer
Inspiring!

Aside from profound and bliblical perspective of what is prayer and how to do it, the book encourages the reader with testimonies from other believers. It's inspiring to know that what God can do to them, He can also do to me!!
Ruslan
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
An old new prospective of prayer in Christian life... Really useful and interesting!
"An effective prayer of the righteous man can accomplish (really) MUCH..." James 5:16
Ray Crow
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God is! Prayer is powerful. With God all things are possible.
Jodi Woody
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great classic book on prayer. I give it five stars. Must read for Christians. Very uplifting.
Susan
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very valuable contents

Much instruction and many examples (testimonies) taken from scripture and eye witness accounts are in this book. God Almighty is lifted up and glorified.
Asnaldo Alvarez
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy bueno, lo recomiendo a todos. Otro de los clásicos de la literatura cristiana.
P.J. Mills
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
A refreshing and convicting book on prayer.
william herzog
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on prayer

Encouraging stories, good teaching on prayer. Makes one long for the days of a Moody...needs to be read over and over
Dan Mosugu
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever so illuminating!

A remarkable roadmap and eye-opener to effective prayer life. What a profound book by DL Moody! It's illuminating as it's powerful!
Brent
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keep praying

This book goes over the basics of prayer, deals with problem areas and closes with the challenge to prevail like,George Muller.
Daniel
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With God all things are possible. All the wonderful spirit filled stories of answered prayers, especially the last testimony. " His name is savior"
Sharon Burke
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!! Encouraging!!

This is a wonderful book for anyone who is believing God to save a loved one!! God most definitely answers prayers!!
Lesetja
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing read on prayer I've had in a while. I totally recommend it!
Heather
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great little devotional!
Ian
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prayer
DL Moody is the great evangelist but it's clear his ministry would not have been what it was without prayer. He was known to send others ahead of him before he entered a town so that they could pray over the town and its inhabitants before his arrival. Further, he was known to have prayers dedicated to praying as he preached.

Moody was a man of prayer who "got a hold of God" in prayer and in this relatively short book outlines how he did that. After an introductory chapter where he outlines a num
Madalyn Mathis
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly classic book on prayer

A very inspiring book and encouragement concerning prayer. A lot of scripture as well as testimonies to teach the reader. I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to grow stronger in their prayer life.
Peter Coleman
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My man dwight will convict you from afar in this book. It really lets you know where you need to be, and you'll see how far you are from there.
David Goold
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Convicting and Enlightening helped me in many ways I approach my prayers.
Karen S

• The Early Classics of Agatha Christie
  • A Study of Peter
  • Waiting on God (Updated, Annotated): A 31-Day Study
  • The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228
  • What on Earth Am I Here For?
  • The Ministry of Intercession
  • Angels: God's Secret Agents
  • Lord, Teach Us To Pray
  • Running Through the Bible
  • Psalm 139
Dwight Lyman Moody was a predominant evangelist, author, and publisher. Raised on a farm in Massachusetts, he moved first to Boston, where he converted to evangelical Christianity in 1856, and then to Chicago, where he prospered in business. He gave up business in 1860 and engaged in missionary work with the YMCA (1861-73).

He founded Moody Church and preached in the slums, emphasizing literal int

News & Interviews

“If our spiritually dead ones are to be raised, we must first get power with God. The reason we so often fail in moving our fellowmen is that we try to win them without first getting power with God. Jesus was in communion with His Father, and so He could be assured that His prayers were heard. We” 5 likes
“My experience is that those who pray most in their closets generally make short prayers in public.” 4 likes