Start by marking “Another Night in Mullet Town” as Want to Read:
Another Night in Mullet Town

Another Night in Mullet Town

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
People like you and me, Jonah, we drag down the price of everything we touch.

Life for Jonah and Manx means fishing for mullet at the lake, watching their school mates party on Friday night and wishing they had the courage to talk to Ella and Rachel.

Published June 27th 2016 by UQP

To ask other readers questions about Another Night in Mullet Town, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another Night in Mullet Town

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Thank you UQP for sending me this book! I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's written in verse beautifully and it captures teenagers, family, friends and class struggles so realistically, but I don't really think it was that memorable for me. I wish it packed more of a punch.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uqp, loveozya, bookgasm
Steven Herrick is without a doubt one of my favourite authors. With so few words, he can paint a vivid landscape of our communities and can capture the Australian spirit and determination. The fictional Australian town of Turon represents our coastal cities in which overdevelopment is destroying our landscape and community prosperity, an issue sixteen year old Manx feels deeply and personally.

Told in verse, Steven Herrick is able to capture Australian communities with appreciation, lyricism and
Amanda
Another Night in Mullet Town by Steven Herrick is a verse novel set in the fictional town of Turon. Sixteen Jonah lives with his mother, and his father, an interstate truck driver, is often away. Jonah spends his days at school and the rest of his time with best mate, Manx. They enjoy fishing in Coraki Lake, and drinking with local kids on the weekends.

Jonah is struggling with his home life. His father's absence is creating tension between his parents, and eventually his mum moves to her siste
Steve lovell
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the north western homelands of my youth I became a mullet fisherman. That was post-mobility though. Prior to my father giving me my first banger, a Fiat with suicide doors, I was confined. I couldn't get to mullet. My fishing was down at what is now termed Burnie Port which is, in this litigious age, well and truly off limits to the general public. But back in my youth it was a mecca for kids having their first fishing experiences. On the seaward side of Ocean Pier was a ledge, and we wanna-b ...more
Brona's Books
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Another Night in Mullet Town by Steven Herrick is a verse novel for teens set in a small coastal town with lots of fishing references.

How's that for a hard sell?

The trouble is, I adore Herrick's writing and his ability to draw complex, authentic characters with so few words.

He could probably write a story about boxing or a spider plague and I would still love it, although I hope he doesn't test me out on that score!

Of course, Another Night is Mullet Town is not just about fishing.

Herrick explore
Pat
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussieya2016, ya
Thoroughly enjoyed this - some complex issues to ponder as well.
Peter Bird
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone. Even those aliens around proxima centauri
ANOTHER NIGHT IN MULLET TOWN by Steven Herrick.
A gentle, poetic tale touching some of the lives of the locals from Mullet Town. Steven Herrick’s undeniably humane poems are interspersed into this short and yet quite fulfilling novel. If the characters don’t captivate you, don’t gel for you, don’t ring true to you, then I think I understand why: this book seems to want to speak to Herrick’s generation more so than the current one or even the last few. Whilst that is no fault of this story, I woul
Dimity Powell
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Poetic, raw and real. Loved this verse coming of age novel by Herrick. Intelligent, genuine narrative about surviving on the peripheral of life, both emotionally and materialistically. I found the end petered out too matter-of-factly for me but life is not always full of neat and tidy endings. As long as the mullet continue to swim, there remains a glimmer of hope for the residents of Mullet Town - this is the departing assurance which is in itself enough. Look out for my full review on Boomeran ...more
Sue
i am always amazed at how Herrick is able to convey so much in his verse. he always deals with teen issues so that they are completely real. great characters and the class divìsions between rich and poor made evident.
Tanya Grech Welden
Amazing read. For a full review of this and other great books to use with your students please check out my blog.
Catie
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick. Very enjoyable. Very cute...
St Stephen's C C
But now their lakeside town is being sold off, life doesn't seem so simple. Manx holds a grudge against the wealthy blow-ins from the city and Jonah just wants his parents to stop arguing.
One memorable night at the lake will change everything.
Trisha
I have always loved Herrick's verse novels, and this one is no different. It explores a lovely friendship between two teenage boys, each with his own issues he needs to sort. Lucky they can depend on each other.

The ongoing drama with the town's redevelopment and move towards generic, homogeneous charmless living, re-purposed for rich city dwellers, who only visit intermittently rang true, and struck a chord with me.

A lovely romance, a fractured family and two typical Aussie boys, in the best p
Pauline
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Herrick style and poignancy. Read earlier in the year but forgot to add.
Mark Gee