Start by marking “Miss Ridley & the Warlock” as Want to Read:
Miss Ridley & the Warlock

Miss Ridley & the Warlock

(Secret Realms)

Gemma Ridley’s first encounter with Squire Kenrik proves nothing short of alarming. So much so, she considers fleeing back to the city, despite the fact only poverty and scandal await her there. Could those challenges be worse than staying as governess on a haunted estate and working for a dangerously handsome eccentric?

Little does Gemma realize what dark secrets and wond
Published April 21st 2016 by Amazon Digital Services LLC

To ask other readers questions about Miss Ridley & the Warlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Ridley & the Warlock

Mave
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a perfect blend of historical and fantasy romance, a truly appealing and compelling read. A smart and sweet heroine, a charming and mysterious hero, an intriguing storyline and a flowing style make it a really compelling story.
Following a family scandal, Gemma Ridley is forced to leave her teaching job. She is used as a children's nurse at a country estate but her new employer Kenrick is a very mysterious man and seems to have magical powers. Gemma's educated and rational m
Yami
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this copy from the Author for a honest book review.

Set in 19th century London Miss Gemma Ridley (our heroine) is trying to escape a scandal surrounding what her father wrote in his personal journals. She's lost her job and is now going to try and be a governess for a squire Kenrick. Her first meeting with the squire puts her at unease but she decides to try and stick it out. Over a few days Gemma falls in love with the children and even encourages their behavior in exploring things an
Netanella
3 1/2 rounded up to 4 stars!

Reading Ms. Green is like watching an episode of "Cheers". You know what you're going to get, and it feels like coming home. Her heroines are smart, practical, slightly down on their luck, but altogether optimistic and never sniveling brats. Her heroes are smart and gorgeous, polite protectors with charisma, and never a rogue tendency. It's a good mix, and it works for me.

"Miss Ridley & the Warlock" combines period historical romance with fantasy in a unique blen
Debbie
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was gifted my copy direct from the author.

Following the discovery of her father's journals and the contents there-in, Gemma is forced from her teaching position and into the role of governess in some far away place that she hopes has never heard of her. Governess to the Squire's children. Allan is said Squire. But there is more going on at Rook Hall than meets the eye, and Gemma is thrown into a dark world she never knew existed.

Ms Green is fast becoming a firm favourite of mine! Dragons, shi
Jenna
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book in a day, curled up on the sofa and it was a delight. I love the fantasty genre and whilst this was mixed with romance it didn't lose any of it's mystical appeal. My only complaint is that I would have liked more, more action and more details especially in the final chapters. I'd love to have known more about the Fey and how Urelon played humanity so well.

My favourite character was Edwina, a head strong, intelligent and powerful 9 year old who laughs in the face of the expectat
Michele
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To say that I enjoyed this book would be understating it--totally understating. Gemma, an intelligent young woman in the 19th century has been banned and is ostracized from high society because of a journal her father wrote before he died. She had been working as a teacher but was fired and was at her wits end--because no one would hire her. So when she got a letter from Squire Kenrik offering her a position as the governess to his two children--of course she packs up and goes.

Strange things hap
Rosie
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
EXPERT HANDLING OF THIS COOL GENRE MIX
Miss Ridley and the Warlock combines what I love about the Jane Austen period with what I love about Fantasy Romances. It achieves a heart-warming and exciting marriage of these two genres.

Reading this novel was like eating the perfect meal, a satisfying balance of my favorite dishes: a range of interesting characters, masterful image-rich descriptions, feels-real dialogue, tension, mystery, and ROMANCE! The super exciting conclusion is amazing, wrapping up
Rene Sears
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is a fun, sweet book that plays on the Gothic trope of a heroine coming to a remote, forbidding estate to serve as governess to the master's children. Gemma Ridley lost her teaching position after her father's radical writings came to light after his death. She travels to the remote Rook Hall, which locals tell her is rumored to be haunted. (Coming from the city, she doesn't believe in hauntings and she certainly doesn't believe in magic the way they do in the country).

But while there are
Diana Green
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
I've recently been rereading my older writing, and this one stands out as my favorite. All my early books have something to offer, with certain elements that shine and others that aren't as strong. But Miss Ridley & the Warlock was the one where it all came together for me, with the plot, characters, and setting all living up to their potential. I think this was a turning point, and my writing has been better since. I'm currently applying all I've learned to my latest novel, The Falcon's Hea ...more
Alarna Martin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Good. It was better then I thought it would be. :)
Aanandita Maitra
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A phantasmal antithesis of Gothic and logic....

Set amidst the backdrop reminiscent of a mid-19th century England, Diana Greene's Miss Ridley & the Warlock, molds itself starkly, into a contrasting disposition by pairing a scientifically developed society with the fantastical elements of Gothic literature. Where we find, hidden alcoves of dark, unresting secrets, deep wooden trails leading into mysterious woods, dark magic clashing with elemental ones, legendary creatures of cataclysmic power
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Miss Ridley & the Warlock is the first standalone book in the Secret Realms series by Diana Green. Set in a world similar to ours, but with a different religious system, we find out that the same opinions regarding women abound. Also, like in Gemma's case, the daughter left living is 'tainted' with her father's 'sins'. She finds work in a distant house, where she hopes that the scandal attached to her name is as yet unknown. However, Squire Kenrick is fully aware of who she is, but unlike hi ...more
Sharon Martin
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely story to read, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with all the characters. With the story being set in the 19th century it added even more charm appeal to me and it turned into a quick read.

Gemma had found herself jobless and almost penniless due to her father's writings which had caused widespread scandal and was classed as treason. Desperate to find alternative emploment with someone who would not hold it against her she found a placement as a teacher at Rook Hall for the wido
Charlotte Lynn
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Warlocks, fae… so much more magic happening in Miss Ridley and the Warlock. I loved every word, paragraph, page, and chapter. The story is perfectly put together, the words flow together seamlessly, and the characters are exactly as they should be. There is romance, danger, secrets, magic, and so much more going on.

The characters are perfect. Even the “bad guy” is not a hated character, he is a guy who fell in love with a woman in love with someone else and he can’t manage to give up on her. Th
Crystal Martin
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love a good fantasy story like Miss Ridley & The Warlock by Diana Green. I love stories and books with magic and mystery. With fey and shape-shifters, magic and telepathy, this book did not disappoint.

I don't want to give any spoilers and I feel I do that sometimes with reviews. So I'll just say that I love this book and I found myself reading more and more, not wanting to put the book down. With that said, I do wish the story had moved along a little quicker, with a bit more action and ad
Shelly
Jul 14, 2016 added it
I have always fancied myself as a hardcore mystery and romance reader but for some reason, something told me to step outside of my box and try something new. This book is definitely a new avenue for me with the blend of fantasy meets history meets whimsical. I quickly fell in love with Gemma - she is smart and headstrong to find a way to make it despite the resistance from the high society.

When all else fails, Gemma sets off to accept a job with the Squire Kenrick to care for his children. Of c
Leila
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gemma has been cast aside from the life she was accustomed to for reasons out of her control. The only place to hire her is Squire Enrik at Rook Hall – a location beyond anything Gemma has ever experienced.

She immediately falls into trouble – and into the protection of Squire Enrik. The connection between the two is undeniable, but the things we know that Gemma doesn’t, made me giggle at times.

Gemma and Squire Kenrik really feel as though they are cut from the same cloth. Gemma is unlike any oth
Laura Reading
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars for this fascinating historical fantasy suitable for NA and older. Reminiscent of Cinderella and Mary Poppins, or perhaps Nanny McPhee, with a touch of Beauty and the Beast.
It is very difficult to write such a dark story while maintaining a sense of hopefulness.

Gemma Ridley has run out of options and takes an assignment away from everything familiar.
She finds herself where the veil is thin. The doorway between humans and evil fey kingdoms may as well be the passage between life and dea
Victoria Brinius
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed nanny and governess books, and I am drawn to the fact that women after a certain age are supposed to have these titles. Especially when they take part in the past, and especially in a regency like setting. I was immediately drawn into this story, and then the author added in some romance and I thought that this book could not get any better. I really enjoyed the setting and the characters that I at times I felt like I could escape to this new and different land. What I like ...more
Sonya Neal
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gemma's life has spiraled downwards until she is forced to take a position as a governess far away from the city that she's used to. As Gemma was approaching the house she encountered Squire Kenrik and and a fae, and her stay continues to get stranger.

As the story progresses Gemma and Squire Kenrik learn about each other they have to work together to fight the forces who are trying to tear them apart.

Initially I had a hard time with this story, since it was so much more fantastical than I'm use
Melody
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has the feel of a Grace Draven novel. I had to remind myself twice it wasn't one of hers. The setting is an imaginary time and place similar to Regency England or perhaps Ireland. It starts feeling a bit Gothic but is more related to the fae. The Squire is a magician in a world which doesn't know about magic. The governess is too educated and intelligent to believe in superstitious nonsense. The villain is willing to make any sacrifice to get what he wants. The little girl and her affi ...more
Julie Baswell
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Before Gemma Ridley arrives at Rook Hall as the new governess for Squire Kenrik’s two children, she is warned that the place is haunted. Gemma starts having weird dreams straight off, but she ignores them since she has an employer who gives her freedom to teach the way she wants. It’s the perfect job. Plus, there’s no denying the attraction between her and the Squire. But with her social status ranking below his, does she really have a chance for a happy ending?

I liked these characters immediate
Natalie
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I went out on a limb with this book. Not my usual genre at all, yet what a surprise, as soon as Miss Ridley meets the Squire, I was hooked and quickly drawn in. Their story is very mystical and enchanting with an old world charm and these two have such magical chemistry. The author explains their surroundings so well, I could picture them there. It sounds like a place I would love to visit. I really enjoyed each and every character! The children were easy to enjoy as well as Miss Ridley and the ...more
Carrie
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars!!

I have always been a fan of governess in novels, now toss in the other elements of mystery, fantasy and romance and I will be happy.Which is what the reader will come to find in Diana Greens novel Miss Ridley & The Warlock.

The characters keep you interested in the comings and goings, all while set in this wonderful period. As a huge fan of Jane Eyre the tension and romance were just right to keep me happy. 4 Stars! I look forward to the continuing on with this series in th
Angela McKinney
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy fantasy especially Fae and England fantasy. Add some romance in there and I am happy. It started out a bit slow for me but I did enjoy it after first few chapters. I love when I can lose myself in a world that is make believe but is made real by a great author. Diana Green really made the world real and I could picture it in my mind as I read. Such great descriptions. It ended up to be a fun quick read for me.
Lori Vandenburg
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story. It was well written. Gemma and Allan are strong characters. I like how they compliment each other despite social dictation. The setting is whimsical with a touch of historical flair. Overall a very good read. I read this book as a gift from the author. I have read several books by Diana Green and have liked all of them.
Misty Iputi
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this.

There is no way of denying the magic in this book. Between the love and the mystical happenings it keeps the book interesting and a real page turner.

I was given a copy for a review.
Lisa
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great first book in a new series. I loved the characters This is going to be a great series. I look forward to the next book.

- - Gifted ARC copy - -
L
Rochelle
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5* full review to come.
Martha F. Corley
Nov 14, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Please help with Secret Realms series bar 2 15 Oct 27, 2016 10:19AM
Since her childhood growing up in New Zealand, Diana has been an avid storyteller. For years she enjoyed teaching art and special education, while writing as a hobby. After developing an autoimmune disorder, a career change was necessary, but happily this led her to become an award winning author.

Until 2017 Diana published mostly M/F romance, but a health crisis, (and a year away from writing), ca

Secret Realms (2 books)
  • Mr. Thorne & the Witch (Secret Realms)