Start by marking “Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #5)

Mistletoe and Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries #5)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  956 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Daisy Wells and Hazel Wong are spending the Christmas hols in snowy Cambridge. Hazel has high hopes of its beautiful spires, cosy libraries and inviting tea-rooms - but there is danger lurking in the dark stairwells of ancient Maudlin College.

Two days before Christmas, there is a terrible accident. At least, it appears to be an accident - until the Detective Society look a
Published October 20th 2016 by Puffin

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe and Murder, please sign up.
Conor Nally Technically yes, but there are a few references to previous books (without giving away the solutions, of course) that will make you feel like you're…moreTechnically yes, but there are a few references to previous books (without giving away the solutions, of course) that will make you feel like you're really meant to read them in order. Basically, yes, but I'd recommend them all.(less)

Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Yes, I read this book completely out of season, but did that take away from a fun murder? No.
Short  Reviews
Review to come.
LH Johnson
Long term readers of my reviews will know that I adore what Robin Stevens writes. The Wells and Wong series are that delightful thing: a series which continues to get better with every book published. And that's not easy; series are hard works. As are colons. And semi-colons. I am incoherent. These books make me scatty, because I love them and I can't write coherently about love, I don't think, not when it's like this. Not when it's so perfectly formed and delivered and utterly good.

To be preci
5 Words:
Katey Lovell
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5*

Always love Wells and Wong and this festive mystery caper set in the beautiful city of Cambridge was no exception. Robin Stevens writes characters so vividly that it feels as though you know them, and Daisy and Hazel now feel like friends. An empowering, feminist read with echoes of the Nancy Drew books I loved as a child. Perfect Christmas reading.
Kirsty
As fabulous as I hoped it would be.
k.
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
my favourite girls in the entire world. thank you.
Alex Peachman
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining with some interesting characters. Can be enjoyed all year round!
Emily C
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I preferred the first book more.This one was to predictable for me.
Graine Milner
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Spiffing!
Melanie
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The 5th adventure of the Detective Society is just as brilliant as the rest! With every new story I love Daisy and Hazel more (Hazel especially) and as always the setting is so perfectly described that you feel swept along the Cambridge streets with them. Another wonderfully plotted out mystery and I already want the next.
Fred
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first, second, third and fourth books in this series were really good, this one did the series justice again. I read it in fewer than 24 hours: such a good book. Clever murder, clever solution, clever story...favourite in the series so far! I adored it!
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
The Detective Society AT CHRISTMAS, seriously? What's not to love?
Alyce Hunt
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful murder mystery, and one that I'm definitely going to be rereading when the festive period comes back around! Full review coming next week.

EDIT 23/03/2018:

‘Detecting is all very well when it is about the puzzle, but when it truly becomes about a body I like it far less.’

It’s Christmas, so Hazel and Daisy are off to spend the festive period in Cambridge with Daisy’s brother Bertie and their great-aunt Eustacia. Also staying in Cambridge for Christmas is Alexander – a fellow dete
Sadie Slater
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The fifth in Robin Stevens' Wells and Wong mystery series is set in Cambridge, where Daisy and Hazel are spending Christmas as guests of Daisy's great-aunt Eustacia (a mathematics don - surely I can't be imagining the Chalet School reference there?) and visiting Daisy's brother Bertie, a first-year undergraduate at Maudlin College. Also in Cambridge for Christmas are Alexander Arcady, who Daisy and Hazel met on the Orient Express, and his best friend George Mukherjee. Alexander and George also h ...more
Gwen
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This festive adventure, the fifth in the series, is possibly the best since the original introduction of our heroines Daisy and Hazel. Our daring duo find themselves spending the Christmas holidays in Cambridge with Daisy's elder brother - but of course there are unpleasant characters aplenty, and before Christmas can be celebrated, there's a murder to solve.

This installment of the series sees the reintroduction of The Junior Pinkertons, who first popped up in book 3, and although I was a little
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listen to this as an audio book.

This book made me feel very Christmassy (even if I listened to this in February!), it was nice to have a different setting of Cambridge. Cambridge is not a place I know very well, I have only briefly visited it and it was nice to hear the setting described, especially with the snow adding to the magical feeling.

Of course, as well as the Christmas feeling, there is a murder to solve! It was good to have a personal connection with Daisy as her brother is mixed up wi
Karen Barber
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Daisy and Hazel return...and I can’t fault it. This time they go to spend Christmas with Daisy’s brother, Bertie. Unfortunately, the girls’ habit for getting involved in murder and mayhem continues apace as they find themselves embroiled in another investigation.
The relationship between the two is somewhat akin to Holmes and Watson, and there’s a certain charm in the recreation of 1930’s Cambridge.
I love these books, and this is yet another great addition to the series. I liked the involvement
Deva Fagan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series and these characters so much. Each book is better than the last, adding so many new delightful and sometimes bittersweet layers to the overall arc of each of the main characters, making me love them even more. Highly recommended for anyone who loves historical settings, female friendship, and mysteries!
Mehsi
A wonderful, delightful book! Christmas has arrived... in October. :P

This time we are off for a Christmas holiday at Cambridge. Daisy's brother is there, and also her aunt. Of course our duo will find murder wherever they go, even on Christmas they are stuck with murder. No clue how these girls do it, but for some reason murder has a way of finding them, even if they don't want to. Or at least, I am sure Hazel would love some moments off from murders and mysteries. While Daisy just thrives when
Conor Nally
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"'No one is dead - YET,' said Daisy darkly."

I started reading this series in January so I decided I would have to wait until Christmas to read this. Recently, however, I realised how much I loved this series and how much I couldn't wait until December and I had to read this now. I am so glad that I made that decision.
So far, here are all five novels in the series in order of my preference.

1. "Murder Most Unladylike"
2. "Mistletoe and Murder"
3. "First Class Murder"
4. "First Class Murder"
5. "Jolly
SJH (A Dream of Books)
A new Wells and Wong mystery is fast becoming the highlight of my reading calendar. This is one of my favourite series and each book is a genuine delight to read. I usually devour them in one sitting - the perfect bun break treat!

The newest title is set around Christmas time in the gorgeous setting of snowy Cambridge. Hazel and Daisy are spending Christmas with Daisy's Aunt and her brother Bertie. They have no expectations beyond exploring their ancient surroundings and enjoying buns galore in F
Amy Snow O'Connell
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic! Mistletoe and Murder shows once again that the author is honing her craft further with every new story. After the incredible success of the last book, First Class Murder, it's hard to believe that a murder mystery for young people can get any more gripping, confounding and astonishing. Stevens has done it with aplomb in her latest offering.

We find our heroines, Hazel Wong and Daisy Wells on their way to Cambridge to spend the Christmas holidays with Daisy's relations. Of co
Luna
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The next installment of Wells & Wong Detective Society mysteries is here and you know it’s going to be good. This time it’s set in snowy Cambridge over Christmas and Daisy and Hazel have a competition with a rival detective society as to who will solve the mystery first.

I’ve reached the point where however many Wells & Wong mysteries Robin Steven treats us I know I will read every single one. And will probably always want another. I love these two girls so much (ok Hazel is my favourite
Todayiamadaisy
Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Well. This puts me in a quandary. There is a lot to like about this:
1. It's really well written.
2. It has an interesting and likeable narrator: Hazel Wong is a fourteen-year-old girl from Hong Kong attending boarding school in England in 1935.
3. Creative use of both mistletoe and murder in the plot.

On the other hand:
1. Hazel's co-investigator and best friend, Daisy Wells, is the most irritating creature to investigate a murder since Flavia de Luce, and I spent a lot of the book hoping that someo
Stephanie
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fiction
Set at Cambridge University in the 1930s, this MG mystery gave me all the lovely Gaudy Night feels (despite the lack of any on-screen romance). The setting is so rich and fun, the writing is particularly beautiful in this volume of the series, the mystery is clever, and the relationships are just wonderful. This series just gets better and better!

This book could certainly stand alone (as I know because I haven't actually read the book that comes just before it - I'm reading this series out of o
Victoria (Eve's Alexandria)
I'm giving this one 10 stars at least and, aside from the first book, think it's the best of the series so far. I wouldn't recommend you start here really, because I think you need to have spent time with Daisy and Hazel over the last four books to pick up on the nuance of their relationship. I love how they are starting to understand their power and limitation as women in the 1930s, and also how they are thwarting the expectations of others at ever turn. This book extends and continues to explo ...more
Jim From YAYeahYeah
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The 5th in the superb Murder Most Unladylike series is definitely the best so far, with Robin Stevens bringing all her trademark ingenuity to provide us with a captivating mystery. The setting of Cambridge at Christmas is wonderful, while we continue to see the racism of the era and how it affects characters - including narrator Hazel Wong. The changing friendship between Hazel and Daisy, as Hazel grows more confident, is another high point.
Lewerentz
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
A very good detective story for teenagers, set in Cambridge two days before Christmas in 1935. The plot is good, the characters, too. I only regret that I didn't feel more the 1930's atmosphere - even if there are references to what a woman could study at the time but without the possibility to obtain a degree.
Calista
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery! I'm very proud that I knew who the murderer was!
I really ship Alexander x Hazel and Daisy x George!
I'm a little lost at what was going on with Bertie and Harold in the end though.
There are more books coming out in this series right?
Robin's books are: Murder Most Unladylike (Murder is Bad Manners in the USA), Arsenic for Tea (Poison is Not Polite in the USA), First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Mistletoe and Murder, Cream Buns and Crime, and A Spoonful of Murder. She is also the author of The Guggenheim Mystery, the sequel to Siobhan Dowd's The London Eye Mystery.

Robin was born in California and grew up in an Oxford college
More about Robin Stevens

Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder Most Unladylike (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #1)
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #6)
  • Cream Buns and Crime: A Murder Most Unladylike Collection
  • Untitled Murder Most Unladylike 7
  • Untitled (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Robin Stevens Collection A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery 4 Books Bundle with Gift Journal (Mistletoe and Murder, First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Arsenic For Tea)
  • Robin Stevens A Murder Most Unladylike Mystery Collection 6 Books Bundle With Gift Journal (Arsenic For Tea, First Class Murder, Jolly Foul Play, Murder Most Unladylike, Mistletoe and Murder..

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Birdman
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“After all, grown-ups always underestimate children. Children never underestimate each other.” 9 likes
“One of the rules of the Detective Society is that we never say no to tea.” 5 likes