Start by marking “Re-Inventing Love” as Want to Read:
Re-Inventing Love

Re-Inventing Love

Engineer and assistant inventor,Maximilian Grun is in love with his employer, but he daren't reveal the truth. It's 1910 and if Canadian authorities learned of his homosexuality, they'd deport him back to Germany where the country of his birth would become the country of his death.

When promising young inventor and mathematician,Dr. Jasper Hamilton expresses his own feeli
Published April 21st 2016 by MLR Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Re-Inventing Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Re-Inventing Love

Start your review of Re-Inventing Love
Carra
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't normally read many stories that aren't set in the present day, and when I do I will usually opt for something with a lot of adventure and set much further back in time. While Re-Inventing Love is set a tad more than a hundred years ago, the mindset of the times in regards to homosexuality gives this story bit of an edge to it, particularly for Max coming from Germany. And though Jasper might not face as severe repercussions in Canada, that doesn't make their sexuality any less illegal th ...more
Sarah Madison
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Storm Grant’s steampunk M/M romance, Re-Inventing Love. What a delightful story! The leads had delicious chemistry in their mutual bonding over science and were adorable in their geekiness. I especially appreciated the real difficulties they had in pursuing a relationship due to the laws of the time and the censure of society. So frequently in romances, the conflict keeping the lovers apart seems manufactured, but in this case, there were multiple, layered reasons for why ...more
Jaymie
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, m-m
***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review. ***

In a time when homosexuality is thought to be a crime, inventor Maximilian Grun is forced to flee from his home and family in Germany to Canada where he becomes Max Green. Keeping his head down he awaits the finalization of his Canadian citizenship ensuring he will no longer need to live in fear of being deported back to Germany.

Meeting fellow inventor and mathematician Dr. Jasper Hamilton and his sister Octavia,
Books 2 Blog
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Max is a trainee inventor. His mentor Dr Lerner is unfortunately killed in a lab fire before Max and he could finish off their invention The Transposition Device. After his Mentor's death Max works on it on his own but he needs investors. In comes the form of the evil Dr Smythe! Dr Smythe accuses Max of Sodomy which in those days carried the death sentence in Germany and promptly steals Max and Dr Lerner's work. Max is forced to flee Germany on his own to avoid being put to death.

He finds himse
Emilie
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

To be honest, I would have done some of the proofreading differently. I enjoyed the story, though. I really felt for Max, and started wondering what trouble he'd get into next. There's a little bit of the paranormal here, with ghosts and ectoplasm, but mostly it's inventions that are relatively plausible -- aside from the Relocator.

I wasn't sure what was up with Max being repeatedly arrested in Canada for feeble reasons.

There wasn't as much h
Ashley Jasper
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I was a touch apprehensive to read Re-Inventing Love because historical romance isn't really my thing but this book was different. I liked the scientific roots that most of the in between action centered around. Couple that with a touch of the forbidden and Storm Grant delivered a unique and interesting book.

I enjoyed Max's never say die spirit and how he threw himself into his work. And though he found himself on a path far from his choosing, he pushed through and made the most of the opportuni
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
In this great adventure story you will be taken into s science world like no other. Things will happen and things will have to be uncovered in order for two people to find true love and stay together.

In this story we get to meet two extraordinary brilliant men Max who is an engineer and Jasper the brilliant mathematician.

It is 1910 in Canada and homosexuality is a no no. There is no way a man can be with a man. So Max keeps his feelings to himself. That is until Jasper tells Max how he feels fo
Lisa
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I finished Re-Inventing Love. It was awesome! So impressed with your writing ability - the characters each had back story and depth. And the historical science was so interesting! I love reading about those days when people thought they were modern...and they were for their time (how far we've come!). And the history of the inventions we all take for granted -- loved it! It reminded me of the TV show "The Knick". I watched the first season and loved it - back when operating on people was n ...more
Elisa Rolle
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Re-Inventing Love by Storm Grant
Re-Inventing Love was an entertaining and engaging read. The characters were very endearing and I loved Max's distinctive voice. Storm created a very credible world and I was transported there every time I picked the book up. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
United Indie Book Blog
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing

review by Chantelle
Molly Lolly
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Original review on Molly Lolly
Four stars!
This was such a lovely story. I loved how the inventions were described throughout the book. They took on a life of their own and made for some great laughs and wonderful aspect of the story. The humor involved with the inventions had me laughing at the worst moments. Like riding the train home and having people stare at me as if I were crazy.
Max and Jasper were such sweethearts. They both overcome so much to get to where they can be together and live wit
Andrea Goodell
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved this story. That’s it 5 STARS I’m done.!

I have to start by saying that I had reservations because that yes, I very much enjoy period pieces. This one is older (younger) than what I normally go for. My time frame doesn’t hit out of the 1800’s. But because we stayed close to that and the blurb caught my attention I said, yes. And I’m so glad I did.

These men and woman are so entertaining. Max, has such a hard time throughout his young life. First in Germany and then in Canada. All he
Chantelle Bouffanie
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is the first book that I read from Storm Grant. You will fall for Max and Jasper. If you enjoy fiction and M\M story. Then this story is for you to read. Can't wait to see what Storm's next book is. Keep up the good job! ...more
tizi
Aug 30, 2016
Karla
Sep 08, 2017 marked it as not-for-me
Not sure if I just wasn't in the mood for this or if it just didn't grab me. Either way I only read a few pages, so no review. ...more
Rosie
LOLA
Dec 01, 2016
texasmoocow
Dec 15, 2016
Fiction that's pretty, witty, and gritty!

Gina Grant, under the pen name Storm Grant, writes and publishes engaging male/male fiction, more light than dark. Since 2007, she has published with several e-publishers, including Riptide Publishing, Amber Quill, Phaze, MLR Press, and Torquere.

Writing as Gina X. Grant, she is represented by Rosemary Stimola, the agent who also represents Hunger Games. The

News & Interviews