Start by marking “The Real Book Thief (How To Steal Another Author's Work And Nearly Get Away With It)” as Want to Read:

In October 2015, crime writer Ingrid Black discovered that her first novel The Dead, the story of a former FBI agent tracking down a serial killer in Dublin, had been plagiarised and was being sold under a different name by another author on Kindle.

The thief's name was Joanne Clancy, a former Kindle All Star, and the book that she called Tear Drop was No 1 in the Irish cri
Published April 12th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Real Book Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Book Thief

Start your review of The Real Book Thief (How To Steal Another Author's Work And Nearly Get Away With It)
Jules
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book tells of how author duo, Ingrid Black came to discover that popular author, Joanne Clancy had plagiarised not just one, but it appears a series of their books.

The Real Book Thief is an interesting read, and is a stark warning that people aren’t always what they seem. It is a shame myself and others have been made to feel like this, as the author/reader/reviewer community is one of the closest I’ve ever been a part of and I’ve made some friends I hope will be friends for life. It sadde
Shelves: fiction
I was totally gob smacked when not to long ago it came to light that author Joanne Clancy had copied the work of two authors who make up Ingrid Black.

I was one of many bloggers that had read and reviewed her books and gave her my full support. Obviously finding out what she had done was both shocking and upsetting to say the least.

In The Real Book Thief the original authors tell of their experience of how they came across the despicable act, how it made them feel as well as how they reacted to i
Brenda
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Story With a Lesson

I was entranced with this story. I'd heard about the plagiarism of Ingrid Black's books before reading this, but this book went into more detail. The authors showed extraordinary restraint in my opinion.

Although I never read any of Joanne Clancy's books, as a reader, I felt duped. I wonder if I've read other books that were plagiarized. Readers need to be alert that plagiarism is possible and know they are the ones who will notice similarities between books.

Honest self
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
In this short ebook 'Ingrid Black', which is the pen name adopted by a couple of Irish authors, explain how they've discovered that the crime thrillers they'd written together with much sacrifice, have been 'stolen' by an author calling herself 'Joanne Clancy', and how they dealt with this whole sorry case. I honestly admire the way they tackled it. I'm not sure I would have been so lenient.

Anyway, I won't go into the details of their story, however I have to write about my experience with this
Christine
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ingrid Black is the pseudonym of husband and wife writing team, Eilis O’Hanlon and Ian McConnell. In 2015, they discovered that their book ‘The Dead’ (2003) had been plagiarised by someone calling themselves ‘Joanne Clancy’ as ‘Teardrop’ (2015). This is their real life crime story.

Recently I became aware of the Joanne Clancy plagiarism case. To say I was shocked is an understatement. In February 2015, I was contacted by Joanne Clancy on Goodreads and asked to review ‘I Should Have Told You’. I n
Karen
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having seen the recent publicity about this, I was interested to know more. This is a very interesting account of how two authors together writing as Ingrid Black discovered that their earlier crime novels had been plagarised by another author. If all this is indeed true and I have no reason at all to suspect it isn't then the author Joanne Clancy has behaved disgracefully. The worrying thing for readers and buyers of books is that you have to take on trust that the book you have bought has has ...more
Lacey Dearie
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who had dealings with Joanne back in the day, this made for uncomfortable reading. The night I found out about what she had done I couldn't get it out of my head because it felt like she had betrayed me as well as everyone who had helped her on her journey - even though I hadn't spoken to her for a very long time. So, I can only imagine how the authors of the plagiarised books must have felt.
The book is well-written and you really get a feel for how this situation unfolded. Like I say
Claire
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ingrid Black (an Irish writing duo) discovered at the end of 2015 that the books they'd poured their hearts and souls into had been stolen, tweaked and published under a different title by another Irish author and if it hadn't been for an eagle eyed reader, they'd have never known. This is their story.

I was shocked when the story broke on Easter Sunday when one of my fellow book club members posted the article from the Sunday Independent. I felt every emotion from betrayal to anger to stupidity
Emily Wrayburn
I'm not going to star this because I don't think it was written to get ratings based on writing or content, but as a warning to other authors. But it was a really interesting read. Pretty scary to see how easy it is to rip off another author's work in this digital age. It was really sheer luck that these authors came across it at all. How many more are victims to this? ...more
Sean Talbot
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
a candid look at the theft of a couple of books by Ingrid Black. it gives information on this and how they approached the situation.

well written and full of facts as well it shows that they are writing again and have released all of the Saxon books as kindle releases.
Alex Shelby
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon The Real Book Thief while casually creeping on someone's GoodReads' shelves. I was immediately intrigued, so I looked up Ingrid Black's The Dead (original book) and Joanne Clancy's Tear Drop. I couldn't find Tear Drop, although Clancy does have an unofficial profile on here featuring her other books.
Quite short, yet still quite interesting and disturbing, I really enjoyed O'Hanlon's writing and admired how she and her husband handled the situation.
Tez
Feb 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
The problem with including a bonus or extra is when you weren't expecting it - and it's not as good as the piece you intentionally acquired.

THE REAL BOOK THIEF piece itself actually had me interested in reading Ingrid Black's novels.

But the bonus essay on being an Irish writer turned me off. If I want fantasy, I read fantasy. If I want realism, I read crime. So to hear that the Dublin Metropolitan Police doesn't actually exist, and the authors don't care to write something that "says something"
Whistlers Mom
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled into this book and then couldn't put it down until I finished it.

I am seldom without my Kindle in my hand and (to my thinking) epublishing is the greatest thing that ever happened. I know that publishing and marketing an ebook is harder work than it looks and I admire the authors who make it through the process successfully. However, it had never occurred to me that the rise of epublishing has created a "Wild West" arena in which unscrupulous people can steal books with little chance
Rebecca If Only I Could Read Faster
I had never heard of the author Ingrid Black until a few weeks ago when word spread in the book world about a disturbing tale of plagiarism. Ingrid Black, it turned out, was the pseudonym for two authors who together had written three books. The books had been published some time ago and were now out of print but a particularly observant reader noticed that a newly released book bore a striking resemblance to the first novel by Ingrid Black.

A simple tweet lead to the story unfolding, and a sad s
Hayley
Carolyn
Apr 26, 2016
Vicki
Apr 26, 2016
Ingrid Black is the pseudonym of Eilis O'Hanlon and Ian McConnel, a husband-and-wife writing team who live with their family in Belfast, Northern Ireland. They are the creators of ‘Saxon and Grace Fitzgerald’, former FBI agent and Detective Chief Superintendent with the Dublin Metropolitan Police’s Murder Squad. ...more