Start by marking “Cinderella (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #1)” as Want to Read:
Cinderella (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #1)

Cinderella

(Not Quite the Fairy Tale #1)

This is an alternate cover edition for B013H08PFQ

The King needs an heir and that means finding some sort of woman to do half the job.

"That’s all it’s about, ultimately: basic, carnal compatibility in order to satisfy this need. For that reason, the pictures I request of those who wish to apply are explicit. The full prerequisites are attached to the correspondence. If you
Published April 2016 by Madam's Books (first published August 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella

Start your review of Cinderella (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #1)
Lyndi W.
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
So, take the very basics of Cinderella's story and beat the shit out of it with a DVD box set of The Bachelor Seasons 1-5; then throw in a lot of curse words and "bros"; spin a dial to decide whether or not this particular scene is going to be medieval or modern... and you'll get this oddly entertaining, but horribly written and entirely unedited story. ...more
Somia
Ella (aka Cinderella) was born into the nobility, but when her father remarries, her step-mother persuades him it would be best to rename her Ella, so she can fit in with her step-sisters, when her father dies Ella's stepmother's true colours come to the fore..... you know how the story goes. Here though Ella is only putting up with things until she can financially stand on her own two feet, working as a barmaid and having a number of other part time jobs when she needs to.

Ella has no desire to
Stacie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
3 1/2 "Cinderella" Stars!

Not my most favorite Cinderella story, but I liked it; and I'm sure I will continue this series. Happy reading!
Reina
That's one of the worst experieces I've ever had with a retelling. Because I love a good spin on a classic tale, but this was a major disappointment.
One thing about it: I wanted to stop reading but I couldn't. And I mean it in the worst way possible. The writing is just bad. BAD. Full of inconsistencies, lots of mistakes and mispellings... And nothing made any sense! Ultimately, I kept reading not because I hoped the story will get better (because I knew deep down that would never happen), but w
Alix
Jul 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks
In the immortal words of Ollivander... nope, no, definitely not.

The writing was ATROCIOUS. And inconsistent. And completely and utterly unedited (more than that, it was absolutely rife with spelling, grammatical, and tense errors). And just... bad. So, even though the premise sounded right up my alley, the execution made this a total no-no for me.
May Sage
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm biased, you'll say; but actually, I rated my previous book a four - because as a reader, that's how much I would have given it. Cinderella is a bundle of fun, and it has depth too - so that's why I'm sending myself flowers :) ...more
⚜️Trea
I've never read anything by this author, but her tone in her newsletters has been a little off-putting to me for a while now. However, when I noticed I needed a book for an exotic locale and the third one fit the bill, in addition to needing a fairy tale retelling for a bingo challenge square, I decided to give her work a try. While I am not overly impressed with the author's work, I am intrigued enough to continue reading the series to see if it improves.

The premise of the story is rather uniqu
Claudia
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cinderella clearly is not another fairy tale story.
The story had a twist to it.
Cinderella was part Fay part human and the heir of her family but she lived in poverty.
She met Prince Charming, Dane, when they were young but somehow lost him.
Years later Dane needs a wife and heir so he launches a massive bride hunt. Only the brightest should answer.
Cinderella/Elle sands out from the sea of women. Dane instantly knows he wants her as wife.
The rest of the story follows Dane pursuing Elle and eventual
One chapter more
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well, well, well... I love re-tellings and a Cinderella one? Is one of my favourites. From ditches to richest... I call my partner Mr Charming, which is a statement in itself. But this little novella? It could have been so good. But it wasn't.

Why?

The structure, the writing, the jumps in time - were all, hmmm, not good. Yes, I'm trying not being nasty, but I could tell you more. I just choose not to.

Will I read other re-tellings in the series?

Not today.
Thenia
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A contemporary slant to the well known fairy tale, where a girl down on her luck and a prince, or king in this version, fall in love but a number of things keep them apart.

Dane needs to get married and produce an heir to his kingdom, and devises a way to find the woman who will be his future queen among his many subjects. He requests all eligible women who fit the criteria set to send him risque photos, in order to eliminate all the ones who actually do.

Ella, who is no dummy and does not want to
Melinus
I wanted to love this book but I just couldn't.
The writing was so bad, it felt like the author wrote it and then removed 40% in order to keep it shorter but removed all crucial details.
I had to read some pages 2-3 times and still didn't get it.
This is a story about fairies and powers and kingdoms but nothing is explained in a way that lets you dive into this magical world. I read the whole book and still have no glue what a cinder really is (and I am
Not talking about the stuff that you find in
Pam
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 stars
"I thought now might be a good time to go and be an awesome Prince Charming.”

“I’m a King, and I don’t do charming.”

“Then you’re screwed, aren’t you?”

This was just an ok read for me, I was expecting a bit more humor and more heat. Most likely this is just me, since I was in the mood for a specific something and thought this would feed that need. It was short enough to finish.
Andrea
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Excellent writing, really sucked me in. I loved the heroine and their interactions together. I also loved the really interesting world building. The main thing missing was a final chapter or epiologue so we could actually see Ella open a can of whoop-ass on her step-mother, that would have been awesome.
Paul
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dare I say "tame?"

Maybe I was expecting something along the rails of an Anne Rice Beauty Trilogy minus the misogyny, but this is more like a SLIGHTLY dirtier Cinderella. Sexy talk, double entendre, some passable sexuality, and some adult humor pretty much sums up the story.

I don't think it was bad, but it's not terribly good either. Three stars are a gift.
Cheyenne DeBorde
CINDERELLA, NOT QUITE THE FAIRY TALE is definitely a book that will hook you in the first page and keep your attention throughout every chapter.

There are a lot of retellings of classic fairytales, but this book did a great job of giving established characters a unique edge. If their big names and reputations had been completely left out, they still would have been interesting, developed, and entertaining as original characters. The magic system, the lore, and the species could easily fill a nov
Amber .:★Wild Heart Reviews★:.
I'm always curious about anything with the Cinderella storyline to it. I would swear it's because of the obsession I had with Disney's version as a child. I didn't care about the whole "Oh my gosh! It's a princess!" and what not. I cared about the tale, the story. I was likely a hopeless romantic back then too.

So every time I find something new, or a spin on it, I have to read it. May Sage's version of the tale is one I fell into. I loved all the little things that went into this plot. Pulling f
N.N. Light
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love fairy tales retelling and May Sage turns up the heat with the retelling of Cinderella. I laughed, I swooned, I loved it! Highly recommend. 18+

My Rating: 5 stars
E. C. McRoy
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Can we just talk about the cover for a minute? She looks like some deranged devil imp thing! That alone is almost worth taking a star away...

First, the two main reasons that people are going to have issues with this book: The Selection-bizarre-reasons-for-girl-not-having-a-choice thing and the but-he-has-a-tragic-past-so-of-course-he’s-an-asshole thing.

Second, the reason they did somewhat negatively impact my rating: Because I just wasn’t 100% buying it.

I have no quote for this one, sorry guys.

H

Netanella
Well, I must have read a revised edition of this book, as I did not find many of the issues that other reviews have written about. Yes, I did find several grammatical errors in the last third of the book, but they were so out of place that it almost seemed as if the professional editor blinked in that spot. (Ouch! I got something in my eye! :))

The book is full of irreverent humor, especially the set up with the party invitation. Ella curses like a sailor, Dane, who is our Prince Charming, is qu
Brenda
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

King Dane needs an heir and that means he must find a wife. He comes up with the idea of having the single, unattached women of his kingdom apply.

Ella applies. She sends the required pictures, one of her pussy - a fat, indolent Persian - and one of herself in her night clothes - yoga pants and a hoodie. Her message for the king will surely keep her from receiving an invitation. Or so she thought.

The king himself sees her reply and is intrigued by what she doesn't reveal in her pictur
Tracy Byrne
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
This needs so much work, the editing alone was so bad - to the point there is an actual editing note in the book (e-book) to advise a line be put in for clarification. But the premise and storyline is good enough to keep you reading.

A lot of the character description is left to the imagination - handsome with deep dark eyes... Broad shoulders and lean hips.. Ella has dark unruly hair and a mole under the corner of her lip not gorgeous but very pretty.. And the feet of a six year old.

The writer m
Jane
Likeable, but just like Beauty and the Beast (which I read before the first book in this series) it needs a bit more work for me to enjoy it more.
Thom Swennes
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it
“Bear what you can and wish what you must.”
Who hasn’t grown up with “Once upon a time” and “happily ever after?” Fairytales are the baby food of almost all mature readers. Experience and age eventually expose the faults in the enchanted fairy story concept; nothing is so cut and dried. Princesses and queens are always beautiful, wholesome, and chaste, princes and kings are always handsome, gallant, and noble, just don’t ring true in the real world. I’m not suggesting that this story mimics reali
K.S. Marsden
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Dane is a young handsome King with women throwing themselves at him, but what he needs is a wife. Not wanting to settle for a political arrangement, he organises a series of tests to find the perfect One from his own kingdom.

((Note: I downloaded this book in October 2016, I believe there has been a re-edited version put up in December, so some of these comments may no longer apply))

This was fun, but flawed.
I always like a fairytale retelling, and downloaded this for free.

It follows the standard
Grant Leishman
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cinderella ha! Well, it's not the Cinderella of my childhood anyway. Nope, Sage's version of the old classic is grown-up, matured and aimed fairly and squarely at the the adult reading public.

I admit I was a bit skeptical how the author would sympathetically handle, such classic characters, but I needn't have worried. Cinderella was exactly as I would have expected her to be...a thoroughly modern madam with a fair bit of attitude. In fact, all the characters in this novel have much more characte
anjuli
Jan 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody!
Reading this book once was enough. It was a pretty bad retelling TBH.

This book is meant for adult reading alright. In one word, crude. It's not that I have an issue with certain words or anything. However, I do have an issue with certain words used just to make them fit into a story and then, they just don't fit or feel right. Such is the case here in this retelling.

The whole book is about sex, dick, pussy, whore...and what not. Just ugh. I did not like how it was written and there were issues
Erika
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I have read many versions of this story, I think I have seen close to a dozen versions and this is one of the best, second only to Ember. I really liked this one and I would recommend it.

In this fairy tale world that combines a modern world with a magical one, the story of Cinderella is not what we have seen before.

First of all, Cinderella is not a name given to her to make her less, to taunt or humiliate, is a powerful family name that was taken from her by her stepmother to deny her ancestry
L H
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5
This could have been an easy 4.5 stars for me if it wasn't for the way it ended.

I have always loved do rewriting of classic fairytales with the new additions of magic and fairies and additional characters and unforeseen twists and the plot that is not totally original. And I think the story is just the beginning of the series with other fairytales being added and related to this first one.
What were you disappointed me however was the sudden ending of the story! One minute you have Cinderella
Ellie Midwood
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another hot, cute and funny read from the talented May Sage. I loved this new, refreshing take on the traditional fairy tale, told from the very untraditional ‘adult’ point of view, and let me tell you, it came out absolutely amazing. I loved how feisty this new Cinderella, or simply Ella was, telling off the King himself. However, he never knew why out of the thousands of candidates to be the new Queen, Ella is the only one who doesn’t fancy neither the throne, nor him, until he learned about a ...more
Amanda
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
As anyone who has spent more than five seconds in a room with me knows, I'm very tough to impress. Couple that with having read over 1,725 books at this time, and I am a tough critic. That being said, I absolutely adored this book. I'm a sucker for twists on fairytales, though they are very difficult to write in my opinion. Some follow way too closely to the original, some are so twisted you are left scratching your head trying to find any correlation. Others pour on the syrup making them way to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's next... 1 5 Sep 29, 2015 03:55PM

• Beauty and the Beast: Book 1 of the Frisky Fairy Tales
  • Beauty and the Beast: Ever After (Frisky Fairy Tales #4)
  • Beauty and the Beast: Freed (Frisky Fairy Tales #3)
  • Beauty and the Beast: Captive (Frisky Fairy Tales #2)
  • Beauty and the Goblin King (Fairy Tale Heat, #1)
  • Little Red Riding Hood (Frisky Fairy Tales #5)
  • Rumpelstiltskin (Timeless Fairy Tales, #4)
  • The Little Mermaid (Frisky Fairy Tales #6)
  • Silence: Book 2 of The Little Mermaid (A Frisky Fairy Tale 7)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Timeless Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Red and the Wolf (Once Upon a Spell, #2)
  • To Enchant a Dragon (Venys Needs Men)
  • Tinker Bell and the Pirate (Once Upon a Spell, #4)
  • Zarina and the Djinn (Once Upon a Spell, #5)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • Pulled to the Alpha (Alphas in Heat #5)
  • Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Goldilocks and the Bear (Once Upon a Spell, #3)
May Sage is a USA Today Bestselling romance writer dabbling in different genres.

When she isn’t writing, she spends her time with her German Shepherd and her two Savannahs. She loves reading, ballet, running, and cake. Mostly, cake.

May Sage also writes longer fantasy romance novels as Alexi Blake.

Not Quite the Fairy Tale (6 books)
  • A Little Siren (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #2)
  • Beauty and the Beast (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #3)
  • The Snow Queen (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #4)
  • Little Red (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #5)
  • Sleeping Beauty (Not Quite the Fairy Tale #6)

News & Interviews