Start by marking “Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)

Alien: Out of the Shadows

(Canonical Alien Trilogy #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  8,638 ratings  ·  1,180 reviews
Listening Length: 4 hours and 31 minutes
An Audible Original Drama

As a child, Chris Hooper dreamed of monsters. But in deep space, he found only darkness and isolation. Then, on planet LV178, he and his fellow miners discovered a storm-scoured, sand-blasted hell - and trimonite, the hardest material known to man.

When a shuttle crashes into the mining ship Marion, the miners
Audible Audio, Original recording, 10 pages
Published April 26th 2016 by Audible Studios (first published December 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Alien, please sign up.
Elyse The audio is AMAZING. It's a full cast production with several voice actors and sound effects. It's like watching a movie without the visual. I plan o…moreThe audio is AMAZING. It's a full cast production with several voice actors and sound effects. It's like watching a movie without the visual. I plan on getting the other 2 from Audible!(less)
M.F. Alfrey She does in this book. The author wraps that up at the end. In fact, that was the reason I read the book, I wanted to know how Lebbon would manage to …moreShe does in this book. The author wraps that up at the end. In fact, that was the reason I read the book, I wanted to know how Lebbon would manage to sneak in an entire adventure which Ripley seems totally unaware of in Aliens. I had my suspicions confirmed in the final chapter... (less)

·  8,638 ratings  ·  1,180 reviews

Start your review of Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy, #1)
Emma
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
This was silly and fun and brilliant. Would I have read it in print format? No. But as an Audible dramatisation, it was thrilling. The sound effects were spot on, giving the story an atmosphere and immediacy that I doubt the book would match.

There were a few problems with the insertion of the story into the canon. There are very limited ways you can stick a whole episode between films but not have Ripley remember it. Still, it was delicious knowing that all the other characters had to die, but
Sean Barrs
Let me start by saying that this isn’t a book I’d buy. It’s currently free over on audible and it’s the reason I didn’t sleep much last night. The audio-book is more of a dramatization rather than a simple reading, and it added so much suspense, with the chilling sound effects and creepy music: it took this to the next level entirely and made me realise that it certainly is worth buying.

I enjoyed this so much more than I thought I would! It slots perfectly into the Alien time lime, between the f
Char
This was a full cast production offered for free at Audible and I enjoyed it! .

I'm not sure this would have worked as well for me in book form as it did in audio. The actress doing Ripley's voice was dead on, and Rutger Hauer as Ash's voice was also perfect.

Combined with the sound effects of the various ship functions, this production was a lot of fun to listen to: especially for free.
Paul O'Neill
I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would.

It fits in nicely to the main storyline in the films and has some teasers in there also.
Edward Lorn
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People with ears and sexual organs.
Oy, this was fucking righteous. I wish more action/sci fi/horror authors went with this approach to their audiobooks. Yes, there is a need for fully-narrated, unabridged audiobooks. But some of this stuff doesn't need it. Honestly, who's reading Tim Lebbon for the writing? He's an author-for-hire who does some original stuffs from time to time. I know him more from his Alien and Star Wars novels than I do any of his Leisure horror stuffs, like Berserk. I'm not knocking the guy for getting paid. ...more
TS Chan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Surprisingly engaging and utterly thrilling, this audio dramatisation of an Alien novel is quite superb. I would not have picked this up if not for the freebie being offered by Audible during its 20th Anniversary celebration a few months ago, not even being aware that there are also official canonical novels in this science fiction horror franchise.

If you have never watched the movies before, please note that there will be spoilers for the first film, Alien.

In my opinion, the second film, A
Lyn
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this.

Supposedly taking place between the two films, Ellen Ripley is taken out of cryosleep sooner than what was revealed in Aliens 2. We go on another Alien adventure.

I place a great store in originality in the books I like and while I knew that this was a series, or tie in, or whatever I thought this may be a new twist on the Alien story. Does not appear to be, DNF at 25%.

Lebbon is a good writer and I see many people who enjoyed this, but I could not.

description
11811 (Eleven)
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars for the story, 5 for the Audible production. The performance was excellent, including all the sound effects, particularly the bleeps, the sweeps, and the creeps.

Gordon Sleigh
Mar 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, wow. Where to begin. This is going to be wordy.

I'm first to admit I read some trashy Fantasy/Sci Fi. I'm a sucker for a good sword, spell or space ship. I normally steer far far away from Franchise stuff though, because its usually spitting distance away from fan fiction on the internet. I'm an unabashed fan of (most of) the Scott/Cameron Alien universe though and I can even find some entertainment in the Fincher/Jeunet extensions. We won't talk about the Anderson AvP movies though. I've r
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
3.5

Thirty-seven years of nightmares, she thought. And now that I’m awake, the nightmare has woken with me.

I’m not the type to usually jump on the bandwagon for Sci-fi series, but the Alien series has always been my soft spot. I’ve watched the first two several times, collected the expensive but irresistibly huge DVD box set when it was released, and a few EBay collector items and limited figures. I’ve always wanted to read books on the series – the only thing that’s surprised me is I waited this
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just ridiculous! How much better these books can become?!

I started reading this series out of the order, mostly because of the Audible's aggressive marketing campaign, but it doesn't really matter. If you like Alien these are all just new sequel/prequel episodes. Each one for itself in the well-interconnected universe.

Finally got time to read the leading story in the canonical Alien Trilogy. Was not disappointed!

I'm not even going to say anything more. For every Alien fan - this is as go
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the movies
Shelves: read-2014
Alien: Out of the Shadows was a fast-paced and action filled book. I love the movies (rewatched Alien yesterday) and I was really looked forward to reading the book. I wasn't sure how they would, or even if they would explain how Ripley could be in this story since it takes place between Alien and Aliens, but they did. Perhaps a bit of an easy solution, but at least they explained it.

It was a great read. Perhaps not as terrifying as seeing the movies, but reading some part of the book was just a
LaGaryce
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to this freebie audiobook on Audible. This was one of the best I've listened to as far as production quality goes. The voice actors were amazing. The music and sound effects made it feel like I was listening to a movie. Having said all of that, I didn't think the book itself was amazing but I did enjoy it much more than I thought I would. 3.5 stars. ...more
Michael Hicks
My original ALIEN: OUT OF THE SHADOWS audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

In 2014, Titan Books released the first in a new series of books set in the Alien film franchise under the supervision of the movie studio 20th Century Fox. These novels are considered part of the film canon and help expand and flesh out the movie universe, and they launched with Tim Lebbon’s Alien: Out of the Shadows, set between the first two movies and featuring the series’ heroine, Lt. E
Gerhard
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, 2015
I am usually leery of any movie novelisations or tie-ins. However, the recent announcement that South African director Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Chappie) had been given the green light by Fox to film his long-gestating Alien project coincided with my discovery of this Alien novel by Tim Lebbon, a respected fantasy and horror author. (There are two more in what is a loose trilogy, by James A. Moore and Christopher Golden). And being in the mood for a popcorn read, I thought, how bad can it be?

T
Steve
Okay, after thinking about it for several hours, I decided to raise my rating to 5 stars after originally giving it 4 stars. Maybe 4.5 stars, rounded up?

I'm not a fan of Audible's audio dramas at all, and I've tried to listen to quite a few. They leave so much out of the narration, and most of the details necessary for the story are just lost completely . This was definitely NOT the case with Tim Lebbon's Alien: Out of the Shadows.

Alien is probably my favorite sci-fi movie series/universe, more
Shawn Thornton
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audio book. It was one of the best audio books I ever listened to. The production on this was amazing. The voice acting was top class and so was the music and effects. Highly recommended.
Bandit
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Now this was fun, ludicrous amounts of fun. My first ever audiobook was a full cast drama and from there on single narrators took a lot of adjusting to. This was more along the lines of an old time radio play, full cast and bombastic special effects, sort of like listening to a dynamic dramatically charged action adventure. Short one, just enough for two good walks and, again, great great fun. Enthusiastically recommended.
Montzalee Wittmann
Alien: Out of the Shadows by Tim Lebbon and Dirk Maggs, the narration was a full cast of characters making this story suspenseful and extra thrilling! I love these Alien stories. This one is after the first movie. She has drifted in space for 37 years before being found. It wasn't an accident either! The twists and turns match the terrors!
Wow, loved the cast of narrators! Excellent!
Banner
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alien, sci-fi
This deserves higher marks for production quality. The audio version was very enjoyable. The story however wa average (not bad just average). It did fit nicely within the canon of Alien movies without distracting us with alternate stories or personalities.

It was a nice very hours of escapism.
Kim the Strange
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook version was awesome!
Sonja Arlow

I remember watching the first Alien movie when I was way too young and have snippets of images stuck in my memory forever. This book had the potential to be very interesting as new discoveries about the aliens were revealed but none of these were explored fully.

I also found the omnipotent antagonist, Ash, just a little too convenient and sadly he was only used as a plot device, not a real character.

However even with all my gripes I must give credit to the full cast of narrators, they
Roman Kurys
As I finished this story and sat back to reflect on what I have just read, I felt conflicted.
The story itself takes place between the Movie 1 and 2 of the original trilogy, which is really cool as it adds an additional adventure between Ripley's stasis sleep and Alien2 beginning. It turns out she was not in stasis the whole time after-all.

It is a fun read, but what prevented me to agree with an average 4-star rating is that it took forever to pull me in. Half Way through to be exact. The first h
Richard
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, audiobook
8/10

This was plain fun. I can’t imagine this is a highbrow novel and anything to write home about but as an audio full cast production it was really good. The cast was spot on, the pacing made me want to listen to more and more, and the production made this like a movie for my ears.

It’s short, coming in at under 5 hours but there is plenty packed into that time. The main question is how does this fit in between Alien and Aliens but it’s dealt with in pretty much the only way they could do and i
Mark Halse
I haven't watched any of the ALIEN movies nor do I want to. I received a free audio book copy of this during Audibles 25th anniversary. So I gave it a listen.

Going in with only a basic idea of the ALIEN universe I found it easy to slip into the story... well what little story there was too be had. The writing was very akin to the screenwriting of a major motion picture. Which means it was shallow, dumb, action packed and relied heavily on visual effects. The last was especially strange since thi
Wendy
Though well-performed by all the cast members, within the limited time frame of events and the intensity of the action and imminent destruction, the format does not allow for the background material that the written word provides. The audio-drama, with its sound effects and the cast's dramatic performances, does capture the feel perfectly, but there’s no time to get to know or care about anyone but Ripley, who quickly takes over as the lead once she’s awakened, leaving Hooper in the dust. The re ...more
ChopinFC
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobooks

Alien out the shadows was overall an entertaining dramatization of the original book for audiobook.

The story follows the 'Nostramus' 40 years after Ripley comes out of hibernation. The voice-over acting is quite good, and kudos for the actress that did Ripley- she sounded exactly like Sigourney Weaver! The audio special effects are also entertaining, but in the end the story reads like a linear video-game: humans chase the Alien, but are then ambushed and killed by the Alien. The ending was pret
Chris
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alien: Out of the Shadows (Canonical Alien Trilogy #1)

I listened to this as an audiobook original from Audible.

I remember back when Alien (the movie) was released. Friends and I argued over whether Alien was horror or sci-fi. I was one of those that argued that it was a horror movie. Yes, the action occurs on a space ship but it is really just a monster movie; at least to me it was. I think that is why Tim Lebbon’s writing was so effective here. He is a very talented writer who usually writes ho
Cathy
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the German version of Alien: Out of the Shadows, which came for free from Audible Germany. And that is a full-cast, abbreviated version of the novel of the same name.

Set between the first two movies. Ripley was awoken somewhere else first and—you might have guessed already—things go downhill fast from there. Not bad. Although it was a little challenging at times to figure out what was going on. The mine reminded me very strongly of the setting of the second movie, especially the whole br
Marte - Thunderella

***** 5 Ripley stars *****

Audio play, dramatized audio play.
Narrated by Laurel Lefkow (as "Ripley"), Rutger Hauer (as "Ash"), Corey Johnson (as "Hooper"), Matthew Lewis (as "Baxter"), Kathryn Drysdale (as "Snedin"), Andrea Deck (as "Kosinov"), Mac McDonald (as LeChance).

4 hours 31 minutes

Overall: 5
Performance: (6!) 5
Story: 4

I'm so impressed!

This audio edition of Alien: Out of the Shadows is a dramatized version based on the book, meaning there's no narrato
Play Book Tag: Alien: Out of the Shadows - Audible Book - 4 stars 1 9 Feb 13, 2019 01:44PM

• Alien: The Cold Forge
  • Alien
  • Alien: Prototype
  • Alien³
  • Aliens: Bug Hunt
  • Zero G (The Zero Chronicles, #1)
  • Aliens: Phalanx
  • Killer by Nature
  • Alien: Into Charybdis
  • The X-Files: Cold Cases (X-Files, #1)
  • The Dispatcher
  • Harry Clarke
I love writing, reading, triathlon, real ale, chocolate, good movies, occasional bad movies, and cake.

I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. And our dog,

Canonical Alien Trilogy (3 books)
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • Alien: River of Pain (Canonical Alien trilogy, #3)