Start by marking “The Wrong Kind of Clouds” as Want to Read:

The Wrong Kind of Clouds

Patrick Forrester is in trouble. Deep trouble. Someone wants him dead. In fact, lots of people want him dead, but one of them has taken him hostage. As he’s being bundled away, he manages to call his ex-lover, Summer Morris, and begs her for help...

Summer Morris, an award-winning photographer with synaesthesia, hasn’t spoken to Patrick for months. With good reason. In fact
Published May 28th 2016 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Kind of Clouds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Kind of Clouds

Linda Strong
Patrick is charming with a great smile, He likes the ladies and the ladies likes him, too much which has gotten him into untold trouble. He's a journalist heavily involved in a charity of sorts in Malawi.

Someone has kidnapped Patrick. He's in deep, deep trouble. He has many enemies who might want him to come to harm .. or disappear forever. Lots of suspects who have legitimate reasons for Patrick to disappear .... but who has taken Patrick? Is he even still alive?

He owes a loan shark a lot of mo
Xiomara Canizales
Nov 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2017-read

This book made want to say the F word so many times! I know this is a free copy and the idea is to help this book to get success whoever I need to be honest.
THE PLOT
Summer Morris received a phone call of her ex-boyfriend, Patrick Forrester, asking for help. Since they end up in bad terms the call intrigued her. From there she has to search into Patrick's life to help him.
Kidnaping, Child Trafficking, Marital Affair Pregnancy & Abortion are the main subjects of the story.
WHY I DISLIKE THE STO
Nicki
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer Morris would have been happy to never hear from her ex lover Patrick again.Unfortunately she has just received a phone call from him begging for help,it appears that his life is in danger.Even though their relashionship ended badly,can she really refuse to help him.

Although Patrick can be very charming,he also has many enemies who might want him dead.He had been working in Malawai and might have uncovered a scandal,he has been involved with a powerful woman,has made another woman pregnant
Whispering Stories
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Journalist Patrick Forrester isn’t the most well-loved man. From numerous affairs, including a politician, borrowing money from loan sharks, a pregnant ex-girlfriend who he wants nothing to do with, and her depressed brother who is in a rage about Patrick’s behaviour towards his sister. Then there is the little matter of him investigating a possible child trafficking ring in Africa. The hit list is long.

When he takes a beating outside of his flat, he inadvertently calls one of his ex-girlfriends
Caryl Williams
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's hard to believe that this is psychological mystery is a debut novel, such is the quality of the writing. A bit slow at the outset, but intriguing enough to carry on reading.

The book, set in Edinburgh starts off with the mysterious abduction, assault and disappearance of Patrick Forrester, occupation indeterminate, a womanizer, gambler and cheat whose saving grace is that he helps disadvantaged children in Malawi to achieve an education by supporting a charity out there.

During his abduction
Joanna Larum
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel by Amanda Fleet to cross my path and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It begins when Patrick is kidnapped from his flat, knocked out and bundled into the back of a van. As he is being attacked, he manages to speed dial a number, which turns out to be that of an ex-girlfriend Summer Morris. She is a freelance photographer and split with Patrick when he cleared out her bank account. As the story progresses we meet other girlfriends, a married politician amongst them, ...more
Charlotte
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Note: I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review. Review originally posted on my blog, WonderfullyBookish.

I seem to be reading a lot of crime novels at the moment. It’s funny because crime fiction used to be a genre that I never really had an interest in reading, but then I read books like Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and Dear Amy by Helen Callaghan and I can’t get enough of them. The Wrong Kind of Clouds by Amanda Fleet was no exception.

I must admit, it took me
Michelle Kidwell
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing

by Amanda Fleet

Troubador Publishing Ltd

Troubador Publishing
Mystery & Thrillers, General Fiction (Adult)

Pub Date 13 May 2016

I was given a copy of The Wrong Kind of Clouds through the publisher and their partnership with Netgalley in exchange for my honest review which is as follows:

Patrick had been attacked and then carried off. He manages to call Summer Morris asking her for help but she really has no idea what to do.

Will Summer be able to find out what happened to Mo
Nigel
May 14, 2016 marked it as unfinished
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Hard to know what to say really. I loved the title and the blurb. However the writing did nothing to grip me and I wasn't that interested in the outcome. The basic Patrick/Summer story isn't bad but the rest didn't appeal.
Eddie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Really good first novel; crime with some interesting sub plots.
Amanda
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often I come across a new (to me) writer and after reading their book, I wonder to myself how the devil have I not noticed them before now? This perfectly sums up how I feel about ‘The Call’ by Amanda Fleet. I absolutely loved it but more about that in a bit.
For a while, Summer Morris was in a relationship with Patrick but I get the impression that their break up was less than pleasant in some respects. Patrick is kidnapped but before he is placed into the back of the van, he manages to
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Summer Morris gets a phone call from her ex-boyfriend Patrick begging for her help. Their relationship ended badly, with him stealing from her, but she feels the need to help him. But there’s more to his life than it seems. He owes money to a loan shark, is investigating a scandal in Malawi, is having an affair with a married woman and on top of that he is expecting a child with another.

The police do not take Summer seriously until she comes across off-duty policeman DS LB Stewart. Together the
Misfits farm
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick works for the Malawi-Scotland Alliance. He is attacked and he manages to call a speed dial on his phone which is Summer- a long time ex girlfriend. Kate has had an affair and her husband has walked out on her, as she will always put the party first as she is a politician. The police appear to be taking little notice of Summer reporting Patrick missing and she takes steps of her own. JB is on holiday but something about Summer makes him take the case more seriously than just a missing man ...more
Stuart Lennon
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure. The author is a digital friend. We met on twitter and regularly talk writing in the cloud. I pre-ordered the paperback from Matador, in order to benefit from a £2 discount. I had not seen any of the book until the package arrived.
The Wrong Kind of Clouds is a crime novel that rattles along. I read it in a day, which is pretty much the greatest compliment that I can pay a thriller. The characters have depth and are interesting - in fact, I hope to hear more of Summer and LB. The
Suzanne Rogerson
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I was really pleased to have won a paperback copy of this book. The blurb intrigued me, and I liked both the book cover and the unusual title. The start of the book takes you straight into the action and draws you in.

This thriller has plenty of twists and turns. It's a race against time to find Patrick alive and there are many suspects who could be behind the kidnapping. Patrick really isn't a good person to be involved with, but he does have some redeeming qualities and I found myself rooting f
Martha Brindley
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought I would really enjoy reading this book after I read the blurb. The reality was, there were some good lines but overall I felt a bit disappointed and cheated. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Marion
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer Morris, a photographer, receives a desperate call from her ex Patrick Forrester. It sounds like he is being attacked and he begs for Summers help.
Their relationship hadn`t ended well after he cleared out her bank account but for all that she can`t just do nothing and decides to investigate after failing to get the polices interest.
Summer visits Patricks flat and foolishly removes items in her effort to discover what has happened to him.
Patrick although a bit of a charmer isn`t the most lo
Priya
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping, fast paced mystery, this one was a very good read.
I liked the characters of Summer and LB and the way their relationship developed.
Summer is pulled back into the life of her ex Patrick when she receives a frantic call for help from him out of the blue.
Trying to get the police involved brings her in contact with DS LB Stewart who takes a keen interest and together they attempt to find Patrick.
There are messages from multiple people on Patrick's answering machine that indicate more tha
Nerys Roberts
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Forrester is a charmer and a commitment phone but his ex-lover Summer has just had a call from him and it sounds like he’s in trouble. Summer can’t get the police to investigate until she meets DS L B Stewart - he’s officially on holiday but agrees to listen to her story and look into it if he can. There are a number of people who could have wanted Patrick to disappear - the politician he was having an affair with, her husband, another woman he had a relationship with who’s pregnant, her ...more
Simon Leonard
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of Amanda's I have read and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The book starts off dramatically with Summer rreceiving a phone call from Patrick which she originally thinks is a joke as he hasn't spoken to her since they seperated and it sounds like he is being kidnapped.

She goes to the police who ignore her cries for help until DS Stewart hears her and offers his assistance.

Throughout the book there are some gruesome parts but apart from this it is a very written and planned book.

I r
Vanessa
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-x
What a Gripping read! The Call by Amanda Fleet is the first novel to cross my path and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I was hooked from the first few pages.
Summer Morris, is a photographer and receives a desperate call from her ex boyfriend Patrick Forrester. He begs for Summers help and sounds like he is being attacked. Their relationship did not end well as he cleared her bank account out. Summer visits Patrick's flat, where she discovers proof of his abduction. But Summer can not ju
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley and Joffe Books for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

1.5 stars.

DNF @ 39%.

Im surprised that I made it as far as I did. Right from the beginning few chapters I felt that there were way way too many narrators and that put me off. Trying to take in the details and also having to remember who is who. Then after it just felt like nothing was really happening. It says this book is 'full of twists' but even at 39% of the way through the book, I didn't find any
Bev
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, have-read
Patrick is in real trouble. He owes loan sharks money, But that isn't the half of his troubles. Patrick is a player....of women. He has a list of women that he has done wrong to, including an ex-girlfriend, Summer Morris. Summer enlists the help of DS Stewart, together they get involved in all of Patrick's problems. Can they find Patrick? What will happen if they do? There is many things going on in this book. I would like to thank Joffe Books and Net Galley for the copy of this book so I could ...more
Donna Maguire

I enjoyed this book and found the pace to be spot on for the story.  There were twists and turns and the plot is well planned and thought through.  There are a few gruesome parts in the story but they are in keeping with the plot.  I enjoyed the character of Summer and found her to be even more likable as the book progressed.

I thought that the story was well written and I did enjoy the plot, but I did prefer her previous book if I am honest.  Four stars
Laurie Beemer
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5- How far would you go to help an ex? This was a interesting story that had me wondering what I would do. Long story short not what she did I don't think. This was a fun and exciting book for me to read, I read this in just a few hours and when it was finished I was disappointed. The characters were an interesting development and so was their relationship. I thank you for allowing me to read this book and write about it.
Daphne Georges
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disgraced politician, abduction, attempted murder, romance

All the elements for a British thriller. Fast-paced, full of twists and turns. Needs sequel, which is probably in the works.
Gaby (GNTxREADs)
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, netgalley-read
There’s something about ‘missing person’ fiction that just keeps me hooked between every chapter and this was no different. Summer was a likeable character and it was interesting to follow her and LB as their relationship changed. A great read.
Ellen White
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE CALL by Amanda Fleet. Liked her other books, this couldn't make the connection, till further into the book. When you have loan sharks after you, hard for Patrick to find some one that would help. Is he gone or disappeared, owing a lot of money, he can't pay back. Given ARC by Joffee for my voluntary review and my honest opinion.
L.H. Brown
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like stories with different points of view, but it was to ceaseless for me. There were moments where I would lose my grasp on what was going on. I did enjoy the idea behind it though. It certainly made for an interesting story.
Greta Halliday
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Joffe books for making it possible to read this book. A well written book with an unusual storyline that keeps you interested throughout. Perhaps there may be a follow up to this with the Malawi side being the topic as I would have liked to have read more about this involvement.
If this was made into a film/TV drama... 1 3 May 29, 2016 10:11AM

• Before I left
  • My Sister's Daughter
  • Room 119: The Whitby Trader
  • Game Players
  • The Alien Corn
  • The Perfect Murder (DC Harriet Taylor, #2)
  • The Puppet Master
  • We've Come to Take You Home
  • The Academy: Making of a Ruler (The Eagle King's Academy #1)
  • Shadow Crimes (DCI Sophie Allen #7)
  • The Tattoo Thief (The Tattoo Thief, #1)
  • Days of Wonder
  • Hunters Moon
  • The Disappeared
  • The End of Lies
  • Before Her Eyes
  • Buried Lies (DI Mariner, #6)
  • The Squirrel that Dreamt of Madness
Amanda Fleet is a physiologist by training and a writer at heart. She spent 18 years teaching science and medicine undergraduates at St Andrews University, but now uses her knowledge to work out how to kill people (in her books!).

During her time at St Andrews, she worked with the College of Medicine in Blantyre, Malawi. While in Malawi, she learned about the plight of the many street children ther