Start by marking “Tompkin's School: For The Extraordinarily Talented (Tompkin's School Trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Izara Torvik thought her life was over the moment that her father sent her and her twin brother to a boarding school in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. She soon discovers that the school is not as ordinary as she thought and finds herself thrown into a battle against her inner demons that only have one desire...the desire to kill.

Once my body stopped trembling, I picked
Published April 19th 2016 by Crane & Company Press

To ask other readers questions about Tompkin's School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tompkin's School

India
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first YA book I've ever read so I wasn't sure what to expect and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Tabi Slick has done an incredible job in writing Izara, she is strong and yet still vulnerable. Izzy makes mistakes. And that's what we do as teenagers trying to find where we fit in the world. To paraphrase Buffy, she's cookie dough that's not finished baking yet, she gets through a day at a time until she's done. Izzy isn't perfect and that makes her relatable.

There's plenty of twists
S.K. Wee
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written story about twins that have been sent away to a school in Oklahoma. While trying to adjust to their new surroundings they also have to deal with a mysterious transition during the full moon. We follow along with Izzy and Kain as they encounter even more mysteries.
Aldii - perfectioninbooks
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is an interesting start to a series with a lot of mystery!

The Writing:
I quite enjoyed the writing!
We read from Izara's POV all time but at the same time it didn't felt that way.

The Story:
This story was much darker than I spected, much scarier if you want and mixed a bunch of things.
If you like:
•Demons/Angels stuff
•Superpowers
•Story played between past and present being in both times
•Romance but not being the main thing
•Mysteries
•Strong family relationship
Then I think this is for you because
Dean Mayes
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tabi Slick's first entry into her Tompkin's School series is an engaging YA adventure that evolves into a kinetic mystery with powerful paranormal elements. After a somewhat tentative start in which Slick devotes a lot to establishing her cast, the story picks up the pace becoming quite epic in its scope with plenty of action.

Her protagonist, Izara Torvik, is a young woman who is at once vulnerable and wide eyed, having been thrust from a cloistered and privileged New York existence into a total
Richard Kiefer
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think Ms. Slick has created a wonderful young adult work of fiction, with twists and turns aplenty. The characters are three dimensional, the plot has a continuous, steady, pace, and the imaginative element the author weaves into her story is unquestionably one of the most creative I have seen in a very long time. I especially enjoyed the strength of her female lead; Izzy, a great role model for young women today. I look forward to seeing more from Ms. Slick in the future. Congratulations on a ...more
Tavleen Kaur
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

My Rating: 4 stars

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Tompkin’s School: For The Extraordinarily Talented by Tabi Slick is a thrilling YA paranormal book. It follows the story of Izara Torvik when she moves to a boarding school in Oklahoma with her twin brother Kain. They soon discover that there is something sinister about the school and find something weird happening to them in the midst of it.

The book starts a bit slow bu
Lilly Charysma
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Izara and Kain are sent away from home by a father who apparently gave more credit to his new wife than to his own children. They are sent off to Tompkin's and this is the last we hear about the parental figures in their lives. Ok, I am ok with that... they make friends, they fall in love, they go to school, parties after and they discover a new side of their personalities. They discover they have a new type of connection, a pull towards the unnatural, even the evil. Here is where I got lost.

Th
Sheri
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tompkin's School (For The Extraordinarily Talented Book 1) by Tabi Slick

Izara and her twin brother are sent to a boarding school in Oklahoma. It is very different than they imagined, and it will be an adjustment. Soon she discovers it is not an ordinary school, and there are secrets revealed. Izara finds herself in a situation that she never expected, never thought possible. Will she do the right thing even though everything seems to be going against her?

Izara is very likable, she is a teen tryi
T.J. Green
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tompkin’s School is about Izara and her brother Kain who are sent to a boarding school in Oklahoma because they clash with their father’s new mistress. At this point Izzy and Kain seem perfectly normal teens, but when they get to Tompkin’s school strange things begin to happen to both of them. They experience weird dreams and physical transformations and things begin to go very wrong, or very right depending on your viewpoint. The changes are something that Izzy has a very moral dilemma about. T ...more
Jennifer Bradley
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Izara and her twin brother are sent to a boarding school out of the way by there father. Everything goes good and they fit in until Izara starts to get real bad headaches when she's around one of the other pupils at school. She tells her brother this but he's caught up in his own problems. Until one day she has a dream that she is a monster and that she's killed some Radom guy. I was totally hooked with this book its a must read and very dark.
Joanne
This is a really good story with lots of twists and turns. I'm very keen to read the next instalment! The characters are relatable and very engaging. There are a few regular typos in the text, which I found annoying; they didn't really detract from the story at all, but I am a stickler for those things. Even so, I'm not going to let that put me off. I want more of Tompkin's Academy!
Ame Terra
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tompkin’s School for the Extraordinarily Talented is not where I went to high school, that’s for sure. Do you remember high school? Picture your teenage self. Hormones, homework, hook ups (FYI, hook ups are now called “Netflix and chill”). Now picture yourself in high school and your mother dies. Major suck right? Before you can even text KMN to your BFF, your father announces his marriage to his mistress. Suck-o-rama!

Listen up kiddos; do not punch your father in the face. Hire someone for that
Roxie Prince
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

'Tompkin's School for the Extraordinarily Talented (Tompkin's School Trilogy Book 1)' by Tabi Slick
⭐⭐⭐ 3/5
Finished on July 12, 2017
GIVEN A FREE COPY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW
FREE on Kindle Unlimited | $.99 on Kindle | $14.99 in Paperback

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Hilary (SongsWroteMyStory)

This book tells the story of Izara (Izzy) and her brother Kain, who are sent to the middle of nowhere to go to boarding school. But, as you may have guessed, it’s not your typical boarding school, and things start to get weird as people start having strange effects on the twins, and they start transforming on the full moon. And as if that wasn’t enough, it seems there’s something after them.

You never quite know what
Reynolds Reviews
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a lot darker than I was expecting. I definitely got caught up in the story, but it took nearly half the book to reach that point.

The first half reads more like a page from someone’s diary than a story, including the excess use of exclamation points. And not just in the dialogue (I would give a pass for that), but in the narration and internal monologue. I get that they are young, but the writing just seems juvenile. Once the meat of the story finally kicks in, it shifts and became
Ginny Clyde
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is an interesting YA story involving two twins who are also the main protagonists. The story starts out with two regular teens that are sent off to a far off boarding school in Oklahoma. The school is a grand place to live and study but the twins soon discover that there was something sinister behind the school’s history. They experience a dreamlike state and suddenly realise that they have strange powers and they have the ability to turn into demonic creatures. They are on a hunt to find mor ...more
251 Things To Do
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Slow start but once it gets going, you cannot put this down. Interesting story that suddenly goes into a massive twist when you think everything is just fine and dandy.

I loved the protagonists, the twins, as the main characters. They were very strong and confident for their age, especially the female. It seems like all odds are stacked against them in this gripping tale, so you find yourself strongly rooting for them in this series of unfortunate events.

If you like fantasy reads that are more s
Books In Brogan
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews
This is a little darker then I usually read and it ends in  a cliff hanger but it was still a great book and I would definitely read the next one.  There is a lot of violence in this so would be for the older set of the young adult genre but still the result is a wonderfully dark and well-written tale.This review was originally posted on Books In Brogan
Naomi
Jul 06, 2016 added it
I really did enjoy this book and loved the different ideas that were in it. I liked that it dealt with twins, which is something that isn't in most books. It was a very different topic that I don't think I've ever read before. I never really knew what was going to come next and loved that aspect about the book. If you are looking for a new book to read that is nothing like you have ever read before read this book. I recommend this book to all looking for something different.
Nikki
I liked this book. It was dark, but intriguing. Technically the writing could be better. There was a lot of telling and explaining, as well as mundane life going on, but if you can get passed that and the slow start, it’s a good story with engaging characters. The unanswered questions have me wanting to read the second book.
James
rated it did not like it
Jul 06, 2016
Ann Haley
Aug 30, 2016
E.J. Bennett
Jul 09, 2016
Melanie Jones
Sep 18, 2016
Tabi Slick
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tabi by: http://www.tabislick.com/books
May 01, 2017
Shannon McCarthy
May 10, 2016
15195814
Tabi Slick was born in Kansas and grew up in the country where she was homeschooled for the greater part of her childhood. In middle school, her family moved to Davis Oklahoma where she attended public school for several years. Here she began her writing adventure and soon the world of Tompkin's Academy came to life. After graduating from high school in 2008, she spent a few years in Puerto Rico a ...more
More about Tabi Slick...