Start by marking “Crisped + Sere (Immemorial Year, #2)” as Want to Read:
Crisped + Sere (Immemorial Year, #2)

Crisped + Sere

(Immemorial Year #2)

Twenty-one days.

In a world ravaged by fire and descending into madness, Cavalo has been given an ultimatum by the dark man known as Patrick: return Lucas to him and the cannibalistic Dead Rabbits, or the town of Cottonwood and its inhabitants will be destroyed.

But Lucas has a secret embedded into his skin that promises to forever alter the shape of things to come—a secret
Published August 23rd 2016 by DSP Publications

To ask other readers questions about Crisped + Sere, please sign up.
Keith Yes, I believe the two books really form one complete stand-alone novel. And I'm very glad I read them.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I love T.J. Klune. He is one of my all-time favorite authors, and I've read nearly everything that he's put out. But I have my limits, and this book sailed past them.

I read Withered + Sere and gave it 4-stars, even though it was probably my toughest book to read this year so far. However, as soon as I saw the cover for Crisped + Sere I got a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.

Dark T.J. Klune = too dark for me.

I began reading Crisped + Sere, trying to will myself to be positive about it.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
War is coming.

The time has come to take a stand against the Dead Rabbits. Cavalo becomes the de facto leader much to his dismay of this little rebellion consisting of his makeshift family and the people of Cottonwood. Lives are lost. Hatchets are buried. Secrets are revealed. Friendships are formed. Blood is shed.

Crisped + Sere is much more gruesome than its predecessor but no less exhilarating to read. The Dead Rabbits are reminiscent of zombies which isn't something I go for usually. Thankful
T.J.
Apr 20, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine

Updated 8/20/16: New Interview with myself and Blake Dorner, the illustrator for both Withered + Sere and Crisped + Sere, plus the release of the second of six illustrations. The first is shown below, and is NSFW.

photo Le Butt Sex_zpsefufkbvn.png

Pre-Orders now available!

Dreamspinner: https://www.dsppublications.com/books...

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Crisped-Sere-I...

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/crisp...

Add on GR: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Ulysses Dietz
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Crisped and Sere (Immemorial Year Book 2)
By T.J. Klune
Dreamspinner Press, August 2016
Cover design, Paul Richmond
Digital ISBN: 9781634770682
340 Pages
Five stars

I checked out all of the online pages for TJ Klune’s other books. Every one of them has gotten hundreds more reviews on Goodreads than his two epic dystopian Immemorial Year novels. This is not a surprise. Sales of these two books have not been great. Again, I’m not surprised. The author has been saddened by the relative lack of success of
Renée
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
My review will encompass both Withered + Sere and this book - the sequel and wrap up of the story begun in W+S.

This is a story unlike TJ has written before. It's harsh, gritty, soul-crushing. There is no happiness in this world he's built. But damn if it doesn't pull you in because you want to see just one GOOD think come out of this fucked-up world.

This is a post-apocalyptic story in its simplest description. But it's so much more. The setting brings us about 100 years after the world has burn
Vivian
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ng, dystopian, thriller
“Because I don’t want to be surprised by death,” he said. “If it’s going to take me, then it will be on my own terms.”

The journey continues. If you couldn't make it through the first half hour of Saving Private Ryan then you will probably have a very difficult time with this. Throw in some Inglorious Basterds, Pale Rider, Deerhunter, Uncommon Valor, and a touch of The Postman and you've got the general idea of what's going on and how it's going down.

Cavalo's just as broken as he always was. Th
Chris
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
This was artistry ... The storytelling was intense, the relationships and chemistry was brilliant and the characters all in their own ways were loyal, determined and "feared in reverence." This really is an epic dystopian story about survival - not only survival in the elements but survival of themselves. There was love and caring here, but it was through the lens of a black mask, razor sharp teeth, blood & bones. I can see how this series can be stressful for people, there is no joy here, j ...more
Kristen Burns
4.5 Stars

Full Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Quotes used in this review were from an ARC and may be different in the final book.*

This book was not the end of the series (update: scratch that, it did end up being the end), but it did complete the story arc started in Withered + Sere. And since the two books do feel so connected, much of my review will pertain to both.

There’s just something magical about this series. It’s so dark,
Karen
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How long does it take to save the world?

"We don't know who the monsters are anymore,"

21 days...that's how long Cavalo, Lucas, Bad Dog, SIRS and the people of Cottonwood have to prepare themselves for what will be the battle for their lives and what is left of the world that they know. Can it be enough? Do they have a chance against Patrick and his Dead Rabbits? Probably not...but there are worse things than dying...things such as giving up your freedom, watching those you love die cruel and br
Lisazj1
TJ is a genius. Only he could make me fall so in love with these damaged, scary, murderous, completely heart-wrenching characters.

Absolutely as incredible as Withered + Sere, and that's quite saying something.
Mymymble
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first Klune I've read and I'll definitely follow the series. Two more apparently.
Cavalo lives in the prison of his mind in an actual prison in a dystopian world.
But there are others living in Cavalo's head: Bad Dog, Dead Rabbit and lots of bees.
This second volume was very Walking Dead (no bad thing) with the antagonists rotting and mindless. I still can't get what control Patrick has on them and that's a big problem for me which I fear may now never be resolved.
Also the I found the Cavalo/S
Melissa
OMG that ending! I knew it wasn't over! But I guess it is because I've read this series isn't going to be continued. I hope that's not true because I need to know about the Forefathers and...Idaho? Well, there was a place mentioned but it's significant. And SIRS! Can't forget about him and that ending.

Super happy that Cavalo, Lucas and Bad Dog survive! Whoopee! That was my biggest fear and while it came so, so close, waaaaaay too many times, they manage to survive. I love Bad Dog; he is the bes
Sahar
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Je me suis beaucoup attachée aux personnages très atypiques de cette duologie et même si j'ai apprécié dans l'ensemble ma lecture, je reste quand même assez mitigée.
Surtout par rapport à certains passages qui manquaient de cohérence ou de "crédibilité" à mon avis.
Natalia
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an amazing series and the illustrations were perfect! I can't wait for the next adventure!!
Jason
5 Stars
Initial Thoughts
Bleak and gritty, Crisped + Sere completes the tale of Immemorial Year. And what an amazing story it was! Klune's repertoire is quite varied. From comedic to serious, depressing or heartwarming, TJ never disappoints. But I feel he is most in his element when he does intense and dark, as he did with this series.

The Story
One of the best post-apocalyptic stories I've ever read, Immemorial Year, tells the tale of Cavalo, a tough and rugged loner with a broken mind, struggling to surv
Vallie
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vicious.

The sequel to Withered + Sere is everything the first book promised. Seeing the violence which we only got a hint of in the first book was more satisfying than I was expecting –that’s me, bloodthirsty!

I am not sure how much of a review this can be, really, because one, I can’t talk plot, and two, I have started to sound like a broken record when it comes to Klune’s writing. I honestly cannot praise it enough. I just get it. It speaks to me. And the brilliance of the writing becomes eve
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
OMG *Shivers*

Death, and bloody gore *Shivers*

Ok-this book was more dark than the first.And

Going even moooooore deeper out of my comfort zone.

I do not even know if I can re-read this book. Only time will tell. I have no patience for the darkness.

But,

This book is intriguing, and compelling,

And,

it captivated me.

It grabbed me and did not let go. Even though there were many time in the mist of this read, I wished it did...let go.

At about 50-60 % or there after the action began! And, that par
Xing
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Crisped + Sere continues along the same lines as the first book with its dark narrative about a man on the brink of insanity and his journey with a psychopath, a dog, a sentient robot and a few familiar faces as well. The plot was better paced and a bit less bogged down by vague snippets of Cavalo's past. However, this doesn't stop probably the biggest problem I had with the story: much of it is still plagued with circular thoughts and reiterations that are reflective of Cavalo's state of mind. ...more
Lisa The Novel Approach
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*****WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM WITHERED + SERE*****

I truly have no idea how to begin this review of TJ Klune’s latest release, Crisped + Sere. I’m not even sure what genre I would put this book in. There are definitely some horror and sci-fi elements to it as well as a fledgling romance, strange and warped as that romance might be. This is the second installment of Klune’s post-apocalyptic Immemorial Year series, and it is a stunning sequel. In book format this is a graphic novel of a sort
michaela ⚘
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, m-m
this was so intense but god was it good! this series is unlike any i’ve read before — more terrifying, twisted but so very good and intense to read!
Christy
"Lucas is the key, and I guarantee you Patrick is the lock. Whoever opens that door… will have the power to control everything. You have made a deal with the devil, and in nineteen days, he is coming to your doorstep to collect.”

I have been holding my breath waiting for 'Crisped + Sere', the sequel to 'Withered + Sere' that was so unbelievably phenomenal that I walked around in a daze for days afterward. If you haven't read the first book, I strongly urge you to, as none of this will make any se
Diana
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
Although the narrative in this one is more agile and fluid than in the first one, I still feel there is a lot that could be left out in order to let the story move more fluently. I don't believe in this characters (the only one that makes any sense is the dog) and their... attraction feels somewhat imposed more than felt. I don't see any chemistry between them.
To summarise the book: it follows Cavalo back to met with the robot and Lucas, who has tattoed on his body some sort of map, which is inc
 ♥ Rebecca ♥
I enjoyed this more than book 1. I feel like it would make a good movie. An action, post-apoc, with a little m/m romance on the side. And Cavalo and Lucas are such an unlikely pair. I loved seeing them together. I could have used more of that.
Kaylee
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this. There were many times when I didn't want to stop reading but had to and just kept thinking about it and when I could get back to it.

It wasn't quite as dark/depressing as expected (or more likely, I just like things real dark, lol. Plus the not so surprising ending...) but definitely still had its moments. And I truly enjoyed that. This series doesn't sugarcoat anything. It's post nuclear war and all about survival. Having a character like Cavalo and being in his head
Roxanne
We fight together so we don't have to die alone.

This was just glorious and absolutely unique.

I loved the dystopian world - post-radiation and in a world gone mad. Barely any contact with people outside of set towns, a group of cannibals in the Deadlands and quite suddenly the appearance at an attempt of government. The plot continues well from the first one and there is definitely no lack of action here.

He wasn't a stupid man. But sometimes, even the smartest of men fall prey to hope.

I adored
Eugenia
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, paranormal
An Incredible Story!

TJ Klune simply blows me away! I loved this dark and twisted sequel in his dystopian series, Immemorial Year. After laying the groundwork in the first book, this one was much easier to get into. Here, I became truly invested in our MCs, James and Lucas. Their unique, near violent relationship truly turned into something precious. I also became more attuned to Klune's writing style in this series and appreciated how it reflected not only the madness within the narrator's head,
Aleksandra
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow okay. I might write a better review tomorrow morning, but in case I don't:

Crisped+Sere is strong sequel to Withered+Sere. I like the plot and characters dynamics. The atmosphere of the book is the best described as 'fucked up'. Everything is daunting and but not hopeless.
This is a story about survival and about choices.
The story about two fucked-up people, Bad Dog, a pinocchio AI and their bees.
MouthLeaf
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dark and action-packed.
Crisped + Sere is a page turner: the second half is non-stop action and the next parts can't come soon enough. The first book was a little reminiscent of The Road (only much better because that book is un-palatable) and a little Riddley Walker. This second part adds a little more Walking Dead flavor.
Saying all that - both parts have their own, independent dystopian identity, and the characters and relationships between them are uniquely T.J. Klune.
Like the first book, the
Kenzi Bond
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnificent

Absolutely perfect. A world of masterful imagery and storytelling. So much emotion that it hits you between the ribs. No doubt, one of the best stories I have ever read. I loved the characters and damn, did I have a soft spot for Lucas. This is not a quick fluff read. It's got layers of depth and I am thankful for TJ.
Lorrie
5+ stars - The Immemorial Year series is by far one of my favorites. I can't even begin to share how much I adore this series. This book was even better than the first (and that was a 5 star read) because in that book I was introduced to Cavalo, SIRS, BadDog, and Lucas/the Dead Rabbit and just getting to know them. I was SO much more invested in this sequel. I love this ragtag family and read the book from start to finish with my heart pounding and a lump in my throat. Patrick was such a great v ...more
The Backlot Gay B...: Crisped and Sere, by TJ Klune 3 14 Oct 07, 2016 11:34AM
M/M and Queer Rom...: Buddy Read: Crisped + Sere 18 16 Sep 06, 2016 07:11PM

• The Ghost and the Darkness Volume 2  (Fallocaust, #3)
  • The Arroyo
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Dalí
  • Behind the Lens (Behind the Lives, #3)
  • Opportunity: Kingdom of Ara: Episode Three (New Haven #18)
  • White Wolf (Sons of Rome, #1)
  • The Long Fall of Night (The Long Fall of Night #1)
  • Ricochet
  • Strain (Strain, #1)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • The Flesh Cartel #19: Promise
  • Blood of Eve (Trilogy of Eve, #2)
  • Pictures of You  (‘90s Coming of Age, #1)
  • The Fence And Then The Trees
  • Object of Desire
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroid—he didn’t think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more

Immemorial Year (2 books)
  • Withered + Sere (Immemorial Year, #1)