Start by marking “The Carnivorous City” as Want to Read:
The Carnivorous City

The Carnivorous City

Sabato Rabato aka Soni Dike is a Lagos big boy; a criminal turned grandee, with a beautiful wife, a sea-side mansion and a questionable fortune. Then one day he disappears and his car is found in a ditch, music blaring from the speakers.

Soni’s older brother, Abel Dike, a teacher, arrives in Lagos to look for his missing brother. Abel is rapidly sucked into the unforgiving
Published October 3rd 2016 by Cassava Republic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Carnivorous City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carnivorous City

The Book Banque
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
 The book starts fast-paced: “Soni is missing.” Soni is ostensibly swallowed by Lagos, as the city does ‘big boys’. As the reader reads on, what one comes to realise soon is that The Carnivorous City is not about Soni or Lagos Big Boys. Soni - also known as Sabato -  is just an excuse for Lagos to devour her latest victim, and the book is a front row seat to watch the beast feed on Abel, Soni’s brother who has been called out of his quiet Asaba life as a lecturer, and into his brother’s extravag ...more
William Kasina
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
(Gives me so much joy to be the third reviewer in a book up in here. Checks off bucketlist)

Toni Kan takes us in a journey through the carnivorous city of Lagos. The city that wants to constantly devour and its insatiable hunger will never be satisafied until the millions are all consumed. But then if the millions are consumed will it still be Lagos? I doubt. Even the city itself knows and that's why as it eats it makes sure to recreate or replenish that which it has eaten.

Abel receives word of h
Temi Aina
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A friend loaned me this book when I was reading another, and although I did not plan to read it until later, I flipped through and read some lines and immediately I knew I was going to read it sooner than I expected.
The book gives a vivid description of the typical Lagos life and the different characters that make Lagos what it is. From the 'big boys' who do crime for a living and their families, to the corrupt everyday people who will do anything to make money, and the nightlife of Lagos-clubbi
Amaka Azie
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A story about Abel a quiet and introverted lecturer forced to leave his mundane life in Asaba when his brother, Soni, a wealthy Lagos thug goes missing.
Soon he is immersed in the hustle of Lagos and finds himself doing and saying things he previously found repulsive—things he condemned his brother for. He pretty much turns into his brother.
It is well written, witty and downright hilarious sometimes.

I definitely recommend!
Wole Talabi
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short but fast-paced and highly entertaining read about a very hyperstylized, oversexualized version of Lagos and what it can do to a man that isn't ready for it. A bit wonky in parts on the dialogue but and but enjoyable, great sense of place and a good weaving plot and central character.
Dylan Groves
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Biased because author located a house for me in Lagos (although not nearly as wealthy or exciting as the ones he depicts here)
Fortune
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am ordinarily scared of the city Lagos. This book, hasn't helped.

The city takes as much as it gives.
Ibrahim Aliyu