Start by marking “A Way to God: Thomas Merton's Creation Spirituality Journey” as Want to Read:
A Way to God: Thomas Merton's Creation Spirituality Journey

A Way to God: Thomas Merton's Creation Spirituality Journey

This unique reflection was prompted by an invitation Matthew Fox received to speak on the centennial of Thomas Merton’s birth. Fox says that much of the trouble he’s gotten into — such as being excommunicated in 1993 from the Dominican Order by Cardinal Ratzinger (who later became Pope Benedict) — was because of Thomas Merton, who sent Fox to Paris to complete a doctoral p ...more
Published April 15th 2016 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about A Way to God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Way to God

Start your review of A Way to God: Thomas Merton's Creation Spirituality Journey
Brent Fernandez
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
The best part about this book were the quotes from Merton and Eckhart. The worst part was Fox's constant reminder of HIMSELF and his work. Like, was it necessary to point out that you supposedly coined the word "ecumenist?" Ugh.

I like Fox's ideas, but his style is frustrating.
Debbie Hoskins
Through Google preview I was able to read a couple of chapters. I wouldn't have the patience to read the whole book. It is well written. I was introduced to Thomas Merton. Both Thomas Merton and Matthew Fox were influenced by Meister Eckhart. Fox says "Meister Eckhart's thought parallels Buddhist teaching in so many deep ways."
I also learned a bit about Creation Spirituality according to Fox.
PRINCIPLES

1)The universe is fundamentally a blessing.
Our relationship with the Universe fills us with awe
Tristy at New World Library
Endorsements:
“This wise and marvelous book will profoundly inspire all those who love Merton and want to know him more deeply.”
Andrew Harvey, author of The Hope: A Guide to Sacred Activism

“A Way to God inscribes a profound intersection of lives — Merton, Fox, and more — in the history of Christianity, Catholicism, and the emerging Creation Spirituality so relevant to our globe’s current cultural evolution. Perhaps Merton’s lament on the ‘lost art of listening’ can be assuaged significantly by
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
I have been very inspired by both Merton and Fox but, after reading two chapters of this book I put it down. More history than I was interested in reading and less inspiration.
Marilyn
Nov 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is really tiresome because Fox kept referring to his own writings, meetings and thoughts. It read very academic. Maybe it just needed a more exact name.
Paul Vittay
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
May 27, 2016
Hal Bennett
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved Matthew Fox's work for his down-to-earth theology. Interesting to explore Merton's creation spirituality issues with him. Ultimately, if we go back, past the big bang you have to ask who/what laid the Cosmic Egg...and then where did that layer come from. Of course, it can't be answered with the limitations of the human brain but Fox sort of takes you to that place of circling the Mystery. Not always easy reading.
Bryan
Nov 29, 2018
SPIRITUAL LEADER MATTHEW FOX 1 1 Dec 27, 2016 07:22AM

• Long Bright River
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • One Long River of Song: Notes on Wonder for the Spiritual and Nonspiritual Alike
  • The Gates of the Alamo
  • Silence: In the Age of Noise
  • Run Me to Earth
  • Follow This Thread: A Maze Book to Get Lost In
  • The Mercies
  • Threat Vector (Jack Ryan Universe, #15)
  • Confederates
  • The Seventh Angel (USS Towers #2)
  • The Last Juror
  • Karismasamhället
  • Zoo (Zoo #1)
  • Monk Habits for Everyday People: Benedictine Spirituality for Protestants
  • The Church of Us vs. Them: Freedom from a Faith That Feeds on Making Enemies
  • Sånger från jorden : 32 röster för en ny relation till planeten
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American Episcopal priest and theologian. He is an exponent of Creation Spirituality, a movement grounded in the mystical philosophies of medieval visionaries Hildegard of Bingen, Thomas Aquinas, Meister Eckhart and Nicholas of Cusa. His books have sold millions of copies and by the mid 1990s had a "huge and diverse following".

News & Interviews