Start by marking “Idlewild” as Want to Read:
Idlewild

Idlewild

In a last ditch effort to bring the downtown Detroit gastro pub he started with his late husband back to life, Asher Schenck fires everyone and hires a completely new staff. Among them is Tyler Heyward, a 23-year-old recent college graduate in need of funds to pay for med school. As their relationship shifts from business to friendship, Tyler falls for Asher and finds hims ...more
Published December 1st 2016 by Interlude Press

To ask other readers questions about Idlewild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Idlewild

Start your review of Idlewild
Veronica of V's Reads
4.5 Stars.
Mired in grief over his dead husband John, Asher's trying to restart his life by restarting their restaurant, IDLEWILD. His depression and grief caused him to pull back the reins, and his staff had gotten lax and disaffected in those five years. So, he fires his staff, sells his condo and pours all that money into hiring all new personnel, from busboys to chefs. Tyler, a young, intriguing black man has the kind of spark that catches peoples eye--even Asher.

Tyler's been dating Malik fo
Pene Henson
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ude Sierra’s third book, IDLEWILD, is many good things. Richly written yet deeply practical. The characters’ brightest moments are had while doing inventory or cleaning up or pouring drinks. The book brings wonder to everyday details and ordinary things.

The book is deeply linked to a place, Detroit. I’ve never been there but Sierra clearly has and knows its shifting heart. From the beginning I was right there with her.

Most of all, IDLEWILD is full of characters. I first fell for Tyler, with hi
Joyfully Jay
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Simply put, this is a beautifully written book. It’s a genuine and almost leisurely journey of two men who grew up in the same city, yet come from completely different places. At first, it’s the story of Asher. He fell forever in love with John and when John’s life was cut short, in many ways, Asher’s life was as well. Asher is barely hanging on. He thinks he’s moved through the stages of grief, yet he’s cut off his family, he’s distanced himself from his friends,
Pixie
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Eventually I will review this but today is not the day. It was beautiful, emotional and felt real.
Sam (AMNReader)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scribd, library, kirkus
3.5 - 4.0

Two vulnerable men, in very different ways, with very different armor. One is young, one a bit older, one Detroit-raised, one Suburbanite, one light and one serious....both are acting the part.

Their story and development was ultimately successful. You really rooted for them, and I liked and appreciated both characters.

What kept this from a solid 4 star for me was the part that was preachy: the two different Detroits. I understand it was part of a mechanism to contrast characters and
mindful.librarian ☀️
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awwww! This was my very first steamy male-male romance and I adored the emotional connection that these two men had. The restaurant storyline was great, and I loved the Detroit setting. Can’t wait to read more from this author!
namericanwordcat
4.5 Stars

That is some damn fine writing. This character driven romance is so saturated in time and place, its simply shines.

It holds the tensions and joy of falling in love while singing the song of Detroit. Jude Sierra thinks carefully about privilege, race and class in this restaurant set urban love story.

Troy and Asher have a age gap between them as well the grief from the death of Asher's husband and Troy's settling into his full self.

This love builds slowly and the craft of storytelling a
Lisa The Novel Approach
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve been looking forward to this novel for months; I was immediately on board when I saw the cover and read the blurb. I’ve realized I have a ‘thing’ for books set in restaurants, or with chefs as main characters. I mean, I knew I liked food! Ha! But, who knew I had a such a fascination with the restaurant biz? I’ve thoroughly enjoyed almost every food-focused or restaurant-setting book I’ve read, and Idlewild was no exception. In fact, this book was so much more than I even expected it to be.

O
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

"It happens. Love is a constant practice and it's not always easy".

A slow burner romance, about friendships, family, forgiveness, second chance love, vulnerability and being true to yourself.

Wow. Didn't expect this at all. I initially requested this book to read based off the cover. I hadn't heard about Jude Sierra or anything, and I'm so happy that I read this book. My thoughts are all over the place seeing as I just finished readi
Julian Winters
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you unexpectedly find a book that reaches deep into your chest, grabs your heart, and gives it a few warm squeezes to remind you that yes books can touch us! They can pull on our heartstrings! And they can reach that once untouchable spot that connects us to what we're unsure of—if who we truly are as a person is knowable. Idlewild hits each of these points and more.

Jude Sierra touches all the right notes with this novel: dealing with grief, self-acceptance, love, pride, adversity, and
Ami

The writing is lovely -- has a poetic tone to it. I appreciated that despite the romance involved interracial couple, age-gap, as well as slight class differences, but it didn't 100% focus on it.

Unfortunately, after Asher and Tyler get together which is about half-way through the book, I felt like the book got aimless. I didn't know what the end game was, what the author was trying to tell next. I ended up skimming a lot. Also the author seemed to want to involve the city of Detroit as
Laura Stone
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: literary romance readers
I loved this book. It's smart, as layered as you're willing to read into it, and is a touching, tender romance. It's also a love letter to the city of Detroit, which is just awesome for so many reasons (a touchy subject, which Ms. Sierra doesn't shy away from. Gentrification, classism, racism, and none of this with a heavy hand).

Utterly gorgeous writing, fast-paced as Ms. Sierra expects the reader to infer and keep up (a breath of fresh air, let me tell you). My full review can be found on my bl
Adrian Fridge
May 14, 2017 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 48%
Not rating because the story is fine, it's just not for me. There's not enough conflict/tension for my taste, and now that the two MCs are finally getting together, I'm at a point where I want this to end.
Sarah Fuller
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5

I found a lot about this book so great. We see Detroit as a culturally thriving city and from the perspectives of two very different men. Tyler is androgynous, young, he’s had plans that have folded as he’d gone through college. He tries to be what he feels people need and sometimes loses himself. Asher is a little older, he’s a widower and he’s trying his hardest to run the restaurant he’d opened with his husband. He hasn’t dealt with his husbands death in a healthy way. But when they meet,
Jules Lovestoread
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sierra’s prose is so lovely and rich. She has such a pretty way of getting the story told. If you guys are like I was, and haven’t read anything by Jude Sierra yet, Idlewild is a wonderful place to start. I think you’ll be glad you picked it up.

See my full review at: http://www.thenovelapproachreviews.co... !!!
Alysia Constantine
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
IDLEWILD is the story of a Detroit restauranteur/widower who figures out how to rescue himself from isolation and loss after the tragedy of his husband’s death. (If that sounds like a metaphor for Detroit itself, well, maybe it is.) It’s also the story of a young guy trying to find himself, working his butt off to become someone he likes, and figuring out who he is. (If that also sounds like a metaphor for Detroit, so be it.) It’s the story of very different worlds meeting and working together, ...more
Breanne
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, food, romance, 2018, lgbt, bipoc
Oof. I did not care for this story - so maybe more like 2.5 stars? I got real bored reading it, but pushed through anyway (thank you, Goodreads reading challenge).

The good: it’s very bizarre reading a book set in your hometown. And while I didn’t grow up in Detroit proper, it was very cool to see all the things that I was familiar with (cider mills! Eastern Market! Joe Louis Arena! [omg rip Joe]).

The not so good: maybe it’s because I live here, but I felt like Sierra spent so much time trying
Xan West
May review later. Still thinking about this one.

Content Warnings: (view spoiler)
Racheal
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that's so endearing you end up remembering the good things and forgetting the less-than-perfect bits. Great characters, sweet, soft love story. I just really liked it.
Asher
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contempary, romance, queer
A very gentle romance, I really loved it. Particularly as someone from Michigan who lived/worked/went to school in Detroit for several years.
Jay
Jun 13, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: mm-romance
No rating -- DNF @ 23%. I couldn't get into the story because it's written in the third-person present. I don't recall that being used in any other book I've read, and it came across the way an eight-year old tells a story about what her friends did at school today, as if the events were happening at the same time as she was stating them. Too distracting.
Les Joseph
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a reader, there's nothing better than picking up a book by an author who has been on your wish list (for longer than they should have been!) and having that book be everything you wanted. Jude Sierra's, Idlewild, was all that I expected and more. Like most Interlude Press books, the cover grabbed my attention as soon as I saw it then the blurb had me waiting anxiously for the release. I love books set in a place I've never been and when the backdrop is also a restaurant, well, I knew I was in ...more
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
Asher is reopening Idlewild, the restaurant he neglected during the last difficult years, years where after losing his husband, he let himself be swallowed by the grief and overlooked his business. Asher is hiring new people, Tyler is one of waiters. He has decided to take a break from med school and work doing something he actually like. What both of them aren’t expecting is the strong friendship that born between them.

Idlewild by Jude Sierra is a very good story, it packs a lot of feelings, re
Kara Bianca
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was absolutely gorgeous!! The slow build romance between our two main characters was absolutely riveting and I didn’t want it to end!
Maddie (HedgehogBookReviews)
You can also find this review on Hedgehog Book Reviews!

4.5/5 stars

“It’s been more than long enough for Asher to move past the debilitating stages of grief, past the longing and loneliness, past knowing he’d never be able to love someone else that way and past the moment he realized that though he’d never have that again, he could have something.
Somehow, that realization required it’s own grief.”

I haven’t read a romance in so long. But, man, did I love this. It’s full of EVERYTHING—passion, f
Virginia
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and thought-provoking. Jude Sierra tackles a lot in this novel, and it generally works very well.
In terms of the relationship, I really appreciated how Asher can see through Tyler’s masks, and he knows they’re there but lets it slide for a while…all while ignoring his own walls. Both have a lot of growing to do.
I’m more a fan of development through characters interacting, as opposed to novels where all the development happens during an internal monolog. While there are a few of thes
Roxanne
Huh.

This is a quiet story and that’s okay. The pace is slow and gentle in many ways. Also okay. I like books like this sometimes. The words don’t hit you over the head, they just kinda pass through you.

This book didn’t have me feeling wholly attached to our MCs, even though I desperately wanted to connect more deeply with them. Things felt disjointed and like we were walking down certain paths that then just abruptly ended. It left me feeling confused as a reader.

I think this explores grief i
Lilyvandersteen
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, I loved this book! The two protagonists couldn't seem more different, at first. Asher is so wrapped up in grief that he's practically frozen, and Tyler is a sweet and enthusiastic ray of sunshine. But as the story progresses, you see that they're more alike than you'd have thought. Feeling things so deeply, both of them. Very kind and compassionate and always putting others first. But also immensely scared to put themselves out there, to acknowledge what they want and grab it with both h ...more
Beth
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, contemporary
I enjoyed this book but never really fell in love with it the way I thought I might. It felt very slow at the start, which meant I kept putting it down and eventually forgot about it for several months. It's contemporary, which I don't often read, and present tense, which is very hit-or-miss for me. But I also think it had to start off slowly because both characters are coming from situations where they aren't ready to fall for another person right away, so there needed to be build up. I think t ...more

• The Care and Feeding of Waspish Widows (Feminine Pursuits, #2)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Think of England
  • The Doctor's Discretion
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Game Changer (Game Changers, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • Mangos and Mistletoe
  • A Gentleman Never Keeps Score (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #2)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • What Remains
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • Big Bad Cowboy (Once Upon a Time in Texas #1)
  • Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin, #1)
Jude began her writing career at the age of eight when she immortalized her summer vacation with ten entries in a row that read “pool+tv”.

As a sucker for happy endings and well written emotional arcs and characters, Jude is an unapologetic bookaholic. She finds bookstores and libraries unbearably sexy and, to her husband’s dismay, is attempting to create her own in their living room.

She is a write