Start by marking “What Would Audrey Do?” as Want to Read:
What Would Audrey Do?

What Would Audrey Do?

Though on-camera she was often cast in the role of a carefree ingénue, Audrey Hepburn’s off-camera life was marked by challenges: growing up without a father and with the Nazi threat during her youth; a demanding film career while she was a young mother; unfaithful husbands and two divorces; and constant scrutiny from the media. Yet Audrey Hepburn always epitomized beauty ...more
Published April 10th 2008 by Gotham (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Would Audrey Do?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Would Audrey Do?

Kristen
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Full disclosure: I am a HUGE Audrey Hepburn-phile. I love her movies, her beauty, her goodwill, her kindness, her peaceful spirit and, most of all, her style. I often joke that my fashion sense is "Audrey Hepburn re-imagined as a hot mess." I pretty much love everything she did and anything about her. That said, I am not entirely sure how I feel about this book. The biographical portions were fantastic, and I learned things I hadn't learned reading other biographies of her. But, I felt like the ...more
Huma Rashid
Nov 17, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though well written enough in terms of form and structure (I won't say anything about the annoying Royal "we" the author chooses to employ), what this book suffers from is an identity crisis.

Is it a biography of the life and times of the great Audrey Hepburn? Or is it a manual for women to become the Ideal Woman, as Audrey was?

I could forgive the endlessly cloying, sycophantic, stars-in-her-eyes tone of this book were it not for the way the author fails to address this identity crisis. First, s
Stephanie Folger
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it
I initially gave this book 5 stars before I started reading it b/c I thought it HAD to be good being about Audrey and all. Well...
I am a diehard Audrey Hepburn fan, and I know that no one is perfect, but the author begs to differ. She paints Hepburn as an angel when really some of the examples cited actually make Audrey sound like a bit of a diva (to my dismay). And her attempts at including pop culture references are annoying--enough mentioning George Clooney for no reason at all! It's a cute b
Tina
Oct 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Alot of speculation (how many times did I read "we think Audrey would have..") as to where AH would shop, and vacation if she were alive. Sounded like Keogh was drumming up business for rich friends to me. (the at-home checklist) Whatever... The author has a serious, almost disturbing-worship-like, crush on Audrey. In the back of the book she listed some "Very Audrey" people. Then I really had to wonder if the author new who she was writing about, not sure she knows anything about Audrey. This i ...more
Rage
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked reading about Audrey, although I agree with others that this book had a lot going on and much of the material was really not about Audrey.
Heather
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
I can tell you she wouldn't have bought this book!

Oh man, I really wanted to like this book, if just to not feel so shallow for having purchased it in the first place. I gave it two stars because I did learn some things about Audrey Hepburn that I didn't know before. Then again, I wish I had simply read a more serious biography of her life to spare me the candy-coated, repetitive, badly-written "chick-lit" style advice book.

Not only does she repeat the same information and quotes over and over
Beckie
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
"What Would Audrey Do?" isn't as much fun as it should have been. The book has its moments, including biographical details I hadn't known. But the author insists upon using the royal We to talk about herself, and many of her attempts to discern what Audrey would have thought of internet dating or the iPhone are just silly. She also uses the same quotes and anecdotes repeatedly. And in the end, what Audrey would do is conduct herself with class-not something I am convinced can be learned from rea ...more
Rachel
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any fan of Audrey Hepburn
Shelves: biography
Loving all things Audrey (I walked down the aisle to "Moon River") I had to get this book. It's a fabulous take on a biography of AH, with tips and insights on how she might live in our oh so modern world today.
Audrey is timeless. And I have her to thank for my black ballet flats, carefully lined and mascara'd eyes, and a love of giving back to the world.
This is a fun book for any Audrey-phile.
Eva Blanda
Dec 07, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
This is a terrible book. It talks about how to be more like Audrey yet it's written in the most un-Audrey like manner, more like a sensationalist magazine using scandalous headlines to sell more copies. It rehashes the same stories and anecdotes over and over to prove a point and ultimately it becomes tiresome.
Sharanne
A good book to read when you don't want to concentrate too hard, because it is extremely repetitive. Especially if you've already read an Audrey boigraphy or two, you might just want to just skim to the lists. The book was a cute idea and would have made a great longer magazine article, but just not enough there for a book.
Leslie
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
First of all who does not absolutely love Audrey Hepburn! This book was written about her life, her grace and style. I can see myself re-reding this book in the near future.
Olivia Blackley
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought this would be a biography on Audrey, but it was just a bunch of tips on how to be like her. (Which is something all women, especially in today's society, need).
Janet
Aug 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
Love Audrey. However, couldn't finish the book. Very disappointing. I really wanted to like it but alas it's unfortunate that I bought it.
Sophie Jones
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone that knows me well will also be aware of my love for Audrey Hepburn. I have watched her films religiously, absorbed as many documentaries about her as possible (my favourite is Darcey Bussell’s: Looking For Audrey), travelled to Rome and experienced some of the famous locations she and Gregory Peck explored in Roman Holiday (going to The Mouth of Truth and Via Margutta 51 are probably the highlights), seen her own pair of ballet slippers in person, and of course, diligently read as many b ...more
Alyson Edenborough
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Audrey Hepburn! Love love love Audrey Hepburn! We even share our birthday. And so it pains me to write a bad review of this book. It is soooooooo repetitive. I don’t think I learned anything new about Audrey, and I have to question a book about Audrey that contains not a single pic of the star, save the cover image. It reads like a handbook for the deluded, how would Audrey react in certain situations, how to emulate her - in a section on AH’s hangouts (a section I skim read after this se ...more
Lindsay Lynch
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As someone who loves opening their IMDB app to read the trivia, this book is an Audrey enthusiasts dream, with many great behind the scenes anecdotes, although many are repeated throughout the book. The author clearly has done her research, speaking to the friends and family who loved her, as well as big fans such as fashion designer Michael Kors. As others have mentioned, the voice and tone of the book are a bit off putting, and I found some of the "WWAD" sections to be reaching. I especially f ...more
Melanie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Audrey Hepburn and thought I would give this book a go. I did find the history of AH really interesting but I found the other parts rather superfluous and pretentious. I lot of the quotes and stories became really repetitive that it just became a little boring.

I thought that the author speculated about what AH would think of things like online shopping and smart phones and I found this to be really unnecessary.

Overall this was an alright read but nothing to write home about. I did find a
Bookish Jen
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A few months ago, I wrote a review of Jordan Christy’s book, How to Be a Hepburn in a Hilton World. I found Ms. Christy’s tome to be shallow, bitchy, materialistic and judgmental, traits that the late Audrey Hepburn rarely showed. While reading Christy’s blathering, I thought to myself, “You don’t know Audrey Hepburn at all, toots.” I’ve been a huge fan of the late Audrey Hepburn for over twenty years. Not only do I love her movies, I also greatly admire her work with UNICEF. And on a shallow no ...more
Cameron Toney
From the title you might think this book had a central thesis. And it tries very hard to have one, but it seems to be too difficult to write an entire book on "be classy and nice", so this book flounders in places.
The woman herself was obviously charming, interesting, and had a nice life philosophy. This book, however, is a little too clunky.
You could take the general ideas away from this book without ever having to read it- enjoy life, be nice, and try your best.
Chelse
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
What I liked: The direct quotes and real tidbits about and by Audrey Hepburn, the beautiful artwork, the light tone of voice in the author’s writing style.

What I didn’t like: The author’s judgmental attitude toward fashion trends, diets, and ways of living, the author’s shameless plugs for outdated stores and websites, the whole concept of attributing something Audrey “would” have liked with no real evidence.
Cathie Maud
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I may be biased as she is my favourite actress, but WWAD is worlds above WWJD (What Would Jackie Do). For starters, Audrey's beginnings are more relatable (to me), less 'rich girl's daddy lost riches and grows to be graceful lady who needs/seeks financial security' and more 'survived WWII and parental abandonment with grace, and without becoming bitter/hatred, and tries to give back to the world'.

I will expound on this later. I'm off to catch a flight, so fleshing this out needs to wait.
Stacie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at my local library after having read the title. I'm not the biggest Audrey fan, but I do love her movies and her style. This book was well written, and a lot of facts were included that I didn't know. There was also tons of facts, and I liked how they included a segment on how Audrey would be like today. Great read for any Audrey fan!
Ashley
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Audrey so I though this was a fun read overall. It does repeat itself a lot. It’s not some giant guide to become Audrey but it does try and let you know how she would and did handle such situations.
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book that captured Audrey's life and beauty (inside and out) so incredibly. While not only telling her life story, there are also tips and life lessons to take with you. Whether you're an old fan or only knowing Audrey's name, this is a book I highly recommend!
Mackenzie
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it
A truly sweet play-by-play biography about a wonderfully sweet woman. For that, I like this book. It is a bit repetitive with its quotes and anecdotes, and has the tone of a Cosmo magazine (not saying this is a good or bad thing) but it is a sweet book.
Danielle Di Silvestro
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun book to read for any Audrey fan. Or just a fan of any woman who was classy. It is an interesting read. I pick it up whenever I feel down about being such a unique woman in a crazy world.
Lisa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Light, fluffy - ok for an airplane read, but hand it off to the stewards as you exit. Very repetitive.
Jasmine
Apr 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
What would Audrey do? Probably turn in her grave if she knew that this trash has her name attributed to it!
Cassie Ferguson
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written biography/ etiquette book about one of the classiest actresses to ever live. I learned a lot and plan to use it in everyday life.
Kristine
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Extremely sarcastic and judgemental at the beginning (very un-Audrey-esque as the author would say), but gets much better towards the end.

• The Audrey Hepburn Treasures
  • How to Be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Life in Pictures
  • What Would Jackie Do?: An Inspired Guide to Distinctive Living
  • Audrey in Rome
  • Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit
  • Audrey 100: A Rare and Intimate Photo Collection Selected by Audrey Hepburn's Family
  • The Breakfast at Tiffany's Companion
  • Audrey and Bill: A Romantic Biography of Audrey Hepburn and William Holden
  • Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons From The World's Most Elegant Woman
  • Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales
  • The Fabulous Girl's Guide to Decorum
  • Just Being Audrey
  • A Guide to Elegance: For Every Woman Who Wants to Be Well and Properly Dressed on All Occasions
  • Audrey Hepburn: A Biography