Start by marking “A Good Idea” as Want to Read:
A Good Idea

A Good Idea

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  944 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
Can the right kind of boy get away with killing the wrong kind of girl?

Fin and Betty’s close friendship survived Fin’s ninth-grade move from their coastal Maine town to Manhattan. Calls, letters, and summer visits continued to bind them together, and in the fall of their senior year, they both applied to NYU, planning to reunite for good as roommates.

Then Betty disappears.
Published February 28th 2017 by Viking Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Good Idea, please sign up.
Kristin Yes. And it bugs me that Moracho doesn't appear to acknowledge this anywhere. Both Cylin Busby and Cristin Terrill have openly talked about their…moreYes. And it bugs me that Moracho doesn't appear to acknowledge this anywhere. Both Cylin Busby and Cristin Terrill have openly talked about their books, The Stranger Game and Here Lies Daniel Tate, being inspired by Nicholas Barclay case. Nowhere in A Good Idea is the real Betty memorialized or mentioned, even though Moracho took everything from her wardrobe to her *name* for the book.(less)
Ruth Ann I was a middle school librarian for 33 years. I do not think this is appropriate for middle school or beginning high school. There is a LOT of drugs,…moreI was a middle school librarian for 33 years. I do not think this is appropriate for middle school or beginning high school. There is a LOT of drugs, drinking, criminal behavior, and sex. (less)

Elise (TheBookishActress)
I remembered those childhood assemblies in the auditorium of Willingston Elementary, the principal onstage explaining that the solution to any problem was to tell a grown-up. But he never told us what to do when the grown-ups were incompetent or had their own problems or just didn’t fucking care.

This is a fundamentally strange book. I know it’s being marketed as a mystery and a thriller, but to be honest, I don’t think that’s what this is. To me, A Good Idea was an exploration of how anyone c
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains topics that might be triggers. There is a large amount of drug use, sexual contact, binge drinking, and depression in the book. Also, this book deals with mostly just graduated seniors before college so a younger age group.

This book starts up with Fin returning to her father’s house from Manhattan after her best friend Betty had disappeared during their senior year. We jump into the story right as Fin is sitting at graduation awaiting Betty’s name to be mentioned and when it i
Tanesha
A little bit too much teen angst, casual drug use and sex for my taste, even in a YA novel. But storyline was good, and you didn't know quite who did it until the end. Title of the book doesn't quite fit the overall story.
i.
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I disliked the characters in this book, they are all lost, messed-up and addiction-prone teenagers, but they seemed real. I didn't like the stifling atmosphere of the village they live in and yet, it may as well be any small village . This is not the kind of book that you can read before going to bed and then sleep like a log but I just couldn't put it down at the beginning.

Fin returns to Williston, her hometown, to seek revenge for the murder of her best friend Betty whose ex-boyfriend is the m
Cillian
Buddy read with Rayne! Because my status update about reading Acacia with Gergana made, in fact, her ears burn and now she hijacked me for a reading rampage.
Yay for our mind radars!
Sherri Thacker
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good YA book. Read it in a day.
Danielle
Every once in awhile, I like to read a thriller and so I was hoping "A Good Idea" was going to fulfill my need for a good thriller.

*Book received through the Amazon Vine program*

"A Good Idea" is about Finley, who comes back to her hometown the summer after her best friend, Betty, disappears. She is determined to find out what exactly happened and who is responsible for Betty's disappearance. Overall, I thought the book just okay. It's labeled as YA but to me, the book veers more towards New Adul
Allison
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved the writing, but not sure I was 100% committed to the mystery....I'll noodle on it and put up a longer review closer to pub date.
Erica
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Novel Ink

TRIGGER WARNING: DRUG ABUSE/DRUG USE

A Good Idea was a decent book. I enjoyed it from beginning to end but it didn't blow me away. The beginning was, which is odd for me, better than the end. I got into it really quick and wasn't wanting to put it down, but after I read for a while...I had to stop. It kind of took a weird pace for me and I was just meh about it. I'm not sure if that was actually the books doing or me just being me at this time of

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 2/14/17 and full review as originally posted HERE on The Book Addict's Guide 4/17/17: 3.5 - 4 stars
A GOOD IDEA was interesting from start to finish but my passion for it sort of went in waves. The beginning was interesting but I wasn’t sure where it was going yet. The middle was thrilling and I tore through the book (well, I would have it I wasn’t listening to an audiobook and was forced to read at a level pace). The ending culminated well but got a little out there in regard
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
I tried my best to get into A Good Idea, but I guess I'm not into homages to old Hollywood film noir? 100% me, I think.

Also, when I peeked at the ending to see if it would be worth it to stick around, it turned out in exactly the same manner as a true crime doc I watched recently.
Vikki VanSickle
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, ya-crossover, mystery
Pitch perfect Small-town noir, complete with secrets, lies, drugs, suspicious deaths, old flames, new flames, cabins in the woods, etc.
Linda Marie Marsh
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one...
Moracho is a good writer, style, substance etc. sure. However, sad to say, this book was not up my alley. I was a little more than half way finished when i felt like i was at a point where i was slogging thru.
PLUS- well-defined characters odd as some are...
MINUS- dark and somewhat disturbing
Makes me think the author has some some deep-seated issues or an incredible imagination. I just wish the story pulled itself together quicker with fewer offshoots.
" Before you seek revenge, dig two graves."
Adelafuente
Sep 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cuando no conocen del tema que según trata el libro y piensan que lo que vende es drogas y sexo, un libro cargado de solo esos temas escrito de una manera burda y vulgar, en resumen es un asco!
Kelly Gunderman
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

**Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars**

As someone who would read pretty much every thriller in existence if I had the time, when a copy of A Good Idea showed up in my mailbox (a huge thank you to Penguin Teen!), I was incredibly excited - especially by that really creepy looking cover, and a synopsis that said I probably shouldn't start this book at night before I went to sleep.

I guess I was honestly expecting a bit of ho
Jessica
I wish I could give it a 3.5, I'm sure most people wanted to and that's why it has a low rating. I see it as a 3.66 instead of 3.26.

It was well written and the main character was believable. I'm a little confused about the setting. I thought it was the mid-late 90's, but then she mentioned a book that was published in 2003. Anyway, it's still pretty timely with the whole town having an opioid crisis.

One thing that would have justified it's rating would be (view spoiler)
Kelsey
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh...this one was just kind of boring.
Bailey
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everything I Never Told You meets Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.
Incorrigible_bibliophile
This book was not what I had been expecting. I was in the mood for a good and creepy murder/thriller. From page one this was not so much a murder/thriller as it was about Fin, a girl who is going off the rails after losing her best friend. The book focused more on Fin's gratuitious sex and drug use to numb her pain than it did with anything involving a murder investigation.

Well written and entertaining in its own right but should probably be marketed quite differently in order to reach its targ
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
3.5ish Stars. The cover made me think this book would be creepy, and in no way was that the case. This isn't a horror, it's a mystery-- and not a very thrilling one at that. The characters are chemically induced for the entirety of the book and the last 50 pages provided nothing new or interesting. I didn't hate it, and found it completely readable, but I was still expecting so much better.

This book is total cover bait. I thought I was going to get a creepy, horror-type book, but this was NOTHIN
Raewyn
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Bit of teenage angst...works in most issues... I got a bit over the gratuitous drug use in a small town thing - but hey, it's pretty well written.
Journey
awesome, awesome. first, a few things that make this different than other "girl trying to find out truth about trauma/death of her bff":

* Fin knows who did it and she's right.
* it was intentional--not some kind of misunderstanding or tragic accident.
* although the person responsible is not an evil caricature, there's also no sad attempts to make us feel sorry for him.
* Fin does not have any secret affection or fall in love with the man responsible.
* in fact, Fin does not fall in love with any bo
Jen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this book pulled me in so deeply that I couldn’t not read it, despite its less-than-stellar Goodreads reviews.

I think the main issue this book is facing is that it’s marketed at the Teen/YA crowd, but it is definitely more an older YA/Adult story. While the subject matter is definitely more on the mature side, it’s really the writing style and pace of the book that make it better suited for a slightly older audience.

I loved that the mystery slowly unfolded throughout the book, inst
Leah
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story wasn't for me. Although, I did like the writing and the setting. I did not like the story or the characters. The characters were horrible people, and the story was just as messed up as the characters were. The ending was a surprise, though.
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A YA thriller better than most. I really enjoyed this one.
Vishaka Rajan
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was not a good idea. I know that this novel was created for a teen audience but I still had high expectations regarding the quality of the story. And this novel didn't match my expectations. The story starts off interestingly enough, with Fin attending Betty's graduation - sans Betty, of course, since she's dead - and there is a commotion when a female student expresses outrage that no one makes mention of Betty. Through Fin, we are introduced to a whole host of characters, each more r ...more
Annaliese S
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I felt like this book was dragged on longer than was needed. While it was fairly interesting, the main character, Finley, couldn't seem to accept anything until it was forced down her throat. I accepted things way before Finley did, which led me to frustration as Finley continued to go in pointless circles. Also, the mystery wasn't that hard to figure out. I easily guessed what had happened to Betty.
Overall it was an okay book. I guess I would recommend it, but only to people who really like th
Chiara
Weird, but not in a good way.

1) It was set in 1998 but there was no discernible reason WHY.
2) Considering it was set in 1998 a lot of the language used by the teen characters was modern.
3) I found out that this storyline is EXACTLY the same as a real murder that occurred in 1961 and yet there's no reference to that, which surely inspired the novel since even the murdered girl's name is the same.
4) So many drugs. Far too fucking many drugs.
5) Thank god the dog was found, otherwise this would
JJ Mariner
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Book was So Captivating! I could not put it down the moment I got it, I’d be reading it every chance I got. I was sad in some parts and very shocking as well. I HIGHLY recommend this book to book readers that love mystery.
Crazy for Young A...: A Good Idea, by Cristina Moracho → Start Date: April 28th, 2017 11 10 May 14, 2017 07:34AM
Based on a true story? 1 8 May 10, 2017 02:56PM
Cristina Moracho is a novelist and freelance writer/editor. Her debut novel, Althea & Oliver (Viking), will be published this October. She lives in Red Hook, Brooklyn, where she makes all the bad decisions.
More about Cristina Moracho

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
    $7.99 $1.99
“Sometimes I remembered that before Owen was anything else, he had been like my brother, and when we eventually stopped fucking he would be again.” 2 likes