Start by marking “A Good Idea” as Want to Read:
A Good Idea

A Good Idea

Can the right kind of boy get away with killing the wrong kind of girl?

Fin and Betty’s close friendship survived Fin’s ninth-grade move from their coastal Maine town to Manhattan. Calls, letters, and summer visits continued to bind them together, and in the fall of their senior year, they both applied to NYU, planning to reunite for good as roommates.

Then Betty disappears.
Published February 28th 2017 by Viking Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Good Idea, please sign up.
Kristin Yes. And it bugs me that Moracho doesn't appear to acknowledge this anywhere. Both Cylin Busby and Cristin Terrill have openly talked about their…moreYes. And it bugs me that Moracho doesn't appear to acknowledge this anywhere. Both Cylin Busby and Cristin Terrill have openly talked about their books, The Stranger Game and Here Lies Daniel Tate, being inspired by Nicholas Barclay case. Nowhere in A Good Idea is the real Betty memorialized or mentioned, even though Moracho took everything from her wardrobe to her *name* for the book.(less)
Ruth Ann I was a middle school librarian for 33 years. I do not think this is appropriate for middle school or beginning high school. There is a LOT of drugs,…moreI was a middle school librarian for 33 years. I do not think this is appropriate for middle school or beginning high school. There is a LOT of drugs, drinking, criminal behavior, and sex. (less)

Elise (TheBookishActress)
I remembered those childhood assemblies in the auditorium of Willingston Elementary, the principal onstage explaining that the solution to any problem was to tell a grown-up. But he never told us what to do when the grown-ups were incompetent or had their own problems or just didn’t fucking care.

This is a fundamentally strange book. I know it’s being marketed as a mystery and a thriller, but to be honest, I don’t think that’s what this is. To me, A Good Idea was an exploration of how anyone c
Tanesha
A little bit too much teen angst, casual drug use and sex for my taste, even in a YA novel. But storyline was good, and you didn't know quite who did it until the end. Title of the book doesn't quite fit the overall story.
Kristyn - Reading to Unwind
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains topics that might be triggers. There is a large amount of drug use, sexual contact, binge drinking, and depression in the book. Also, this book deals with mostly just graduated seniors before college so a younger age group.

This book starts up with Fin returning to her father’s house from Manhattan after her best friend Betty had disappeared during their senior year. We jump into the story right as Fin is sitting at graduation awaiting Betty’s name to be mentioned and when it i
i.
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I disliked the characters in this book, they are all lost, messed-up and addiction-prone teenagers, but they seemed real. I didn't like the stifling atmosphere of the village they live in and yet, it may as well be any small village . This is not the kind of book that you can read before going to bed and then sleep like a log but I just couldn't put it down at the beginning.

Fin returns to Williston, her hometown, to seek revenge for the murder of her best friend Betty whose ex-boyfriend is the m
Jay G
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Finley and Betty have been best friends since they were little but when Finley moves away after her parents separation, they agree that they will meet again as roommates in college. A year before this is meant to happen, Betty is murdered by her boyfriend Calder. The only evidence for the case is Calder's confession, which everyone believes to be coerced and soon thrown out. Now, seekin
Cillian
Buddy read with Rayne! Because my status update about reading Acacia with Gergana made, in fact, her ears burn and now she hijacked me for a reading rampage.
Yay for our mind radars!
Sherri Thacker
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good YA book. Read it in a day.
Danielle
Every once in awhile, I like to read a thriller and so I was hoping "A Good Idea" was going to fulfill my need for a good thriller.

*Book received through the Amazon Vine program*

"A Good Idea" is about Finley, who comes back to her hometown the summer after her best friend, Betty, disappears. She is determined to find out what exactly happened and who is responsible for Betty's disappearance. Overall, I thought the book just okay. It's labeled as YA but to me, the book veers more towards New Adul
Allison
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Loved the writing, but not sure I was 100% committed to the mystery....I'll noodle on it and put up a longer review closer to pub date.
Erica
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Novel Ink

TRIGGER WARNING: DRUG ABUSE/DRUG USE

A Good Idea was a decent book. I enjoyed it from beginning to end but it didn't blow me away. The beginning was, which is odd for me, better than the end. I got into it really quick and wasn't wanting to put it down, but after I read for a while...I had to stop. It kind of took a weird pace for me and I was just meh about it. I'm not sure if that was actually the books doing or me just being me at this time of

Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 2/14/17 and full review as originally posted HERE on The Book Addict's Guide 4/17/17: 3.5 - 4 stars
A GOOD IDEA was interesting from start to finish but my passion for it sort of went in waves. The beginning was interesting but I wasn’t sure where it was going yet. The middle was thrilling and I tore through the book (well, I would have it I wasn’t listening to an audiobook and was forced to read at a level pace). The ending culminated well but got a little out there in regard
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
I tried my best to get into A Good Idea, but I guess I'm not into homages to old Hollywood film noir? 100% me, I think.

Also, when I peeked at the ending to see if it would be worth it to stick around, it turned out in exactly the same manner as a true crime doc I watched recently.
Vikki VanSickle
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, ya-crossover, mystery
Pitch perfect Small-town noir, complete with secrets, lies, drugs, suspicious deaths, old flames, new flames, cabins in the woods, etc.
Linda Marie Marsh
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one...
Moracho is a good writer, style, substance etc. sure. However, sad to say, this book was not up my alley. I was a little more than half way finished when i felt like i was at a point where i was slogging thru.
PLUS- well-defined characters odd as some are...
MINUS- dark and somewhat disturbing
Makes me think the author has some some deep-seated issues or an incredible imagination. I just wish the story pulled itself together quicker with fewer offshoots.
" Before you seek revenge, dig two graves."
Adelafuente
Sep 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Cuando no conocen del tema que según trata el libro y piensan que lo que vende es drogas y sexo, un libro cargado de solo esos temas escrito de una manera burda y vulgar, en resumen es un asco!
Kelly Gunderman
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

**Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars**

As someone who would read pretty much every thriller in existence if I had the time, when a copy of A Good Idea showed up in my mailbox (a huge thank you to Penguin Teen!), I was incredibly excited - especially by that really creepy looking cover, and a synopsis that said I probably shouldn't start this book at night before I went to sleep.

I guess I was honestly expecting a bit of ho
Jessica
I wish I could give it a 3.5, I'm sure most people wanted to and that's why it has a low rating. I see it as a 3.66 instead of 3.26.

It was well written and the main character was believable. I'm a little confused about the setting. I thought it was the mid-late 90's, but then she mentioned a book that was published in 2003. Anyway, it's still pretty timely with the whole town having an opioid crisis.

One thing that would have justified it's rating would be (view spoiler)
Kelsey
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh...this one was just kind of boring.
Bailey
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everything I Never Told You meets Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.
Carolina GO
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro me sorprendió porque no esperaba esta trama. Ya sé que mis lecturas actuales no han sido las mejores y me ha ido muy mal elegirlas por la simple portada pero este caso no me decepcionó.

La portada es super rara, me da no sé qué de solo verla pero también me gusta. La historia se sitúa en 1998, en un pueblo de mala muerte, donde los jóvenes se drogan y tienen sexo con todo mundo. En serio, en este libro hay muchísimas drogas y cigarros.

Todo comienza con la desaparición de Betty: una chi
Stephanie A.
I checked at least 20 times that this was really supposed to be a YA novel, because nothing about it felt like YA, it read and felt entirely like an adult thriller written about teens -- please don't mistake that for a compliment -- complete with plenty of unnecessary detailing of hookups to further embellish how Finley is batting a thousand on the Trashiest Teen scoreboard. All of the characters save one are at least 18 and recently graduated, so I genuinely don't even know why they bothered ma ...more
Incorrigible_bibliophile
This book was not what I had been expecting. I was in the mood for a good and creepy murder/thriller. From page one this was not so much a murder/thriller as it was about Fin, a girl who is going off the rails after losing her best friend. The book focused more on Fin's gratuitious sex and drug use to numb her pain than it did with anything involving a murder investigation.

Well written and entertaining in its own right but should probably be marketed quite differently in order to reach its targ
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
3.5ish Stars. The cover made me think this book would be creepy, and in no way was that the case. This isn't a horror, it's a mystery-- and not a very thrilling one at that. The characters are chemically induced for the entirety of the book and the last 50 pages provided nothing new or interesting. I didn't hate it, and found it completely readable, but I was still expecting so much better.

This book is total cover bait. I thought I was going to get a creepy, horror-type book, but this was NOTHIN
Raewyn
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Bit of teenage angst...works in most issues... I got a bit over the gratuitous drug use in a small town thing - but hey, it's pretty well written.
Journey
awesome, awesome. first, a few things that make this different than other "girl trying to find out truth about trauma/death of her bff":

* Fin knows who did it and she's right.
* it was intentional--not some kind of misunderstanding or tragic accident.
* although the person responsible is not an evil caricature, there's also no sad attempts to make us feel sorry for him.
* Fin does not have any secret affection or fall in love with the man responsible.
* in fact, Fin does not fall in love with any bo
Trisha
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Not everybody can be a fighter."

Hmmm...this one is tough to rate. On one hand, it was dark and twisted and I love those kinds of stories. I was never really sure what the real story was and I turned pages, holding my breath, as Finley stumbled around the town shoving everyone and lighting fires. I loved how utterly devastated she was - torn down to her very core - it gave her personality real fire and grit and made her feel very flawed and very real. She was angry and ready for revenge and she
Jen
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of this book pulled me in so deeply that I couldn’t not read it, despite its less-than-stellar Goodreads reviews.

I think the main issue this book is facing is that it’s marketed at the Teen/YA crowd, but it is definitely more an older YA/Adult story. While the subject matter is definitely more on the mature side, it’s really the writing style and pace of the book that make it better suited for a slightly older audience.

I loved that the mystery slowly unfolded throughout the book, inst
Leah
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story wasn't for me. Although, I did like the writing and the setting. I did not like the story or the characters. The characters were horrible people, and the story was just as messed up as the characters were. The ending was a surprise, though.
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A YA thriller better than most. I really enjoyed this one.
Crazy for Young A...: A Good Idea, by Cristina Moracho → Start Date: April 28th, 2017 11 11 May 14, 2017 07:34AM
Based on a true story? 1 9 May 10, 2017 02:56PM
Cristina Moracho is a novelist and freelance writer/editor. Her debut novel, Althea & Oliver (Viking), will be published this October. She lives in Red Hook, Brooklyn, where she makes all the bad decisions.
“Sometimes I remembered that before Owen was anything else, he had been like my brother, and when we eventually stopped fucking he would be again.” 2 likes