Start by marking “Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows, #1)

Mask of Shadows (Mask of Shadows #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  2,041 Ratings  ·  916 Reviews
Sallot Leon is a thief, and a good one at that. But gender fluid Sal wants nothing more than to escape the drudgery of life as a highway robber and get closer to the upper-class and the nobles who destroyed their home.

When Sal Leon steals a poster announcing open auditions for the Left Hand, a powerful collection of the Queen's personal assassins named for the rings she w
Audible Audio, 9 pages
Published September 1st 2017 by Dreamscape Media (first published August 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Mask of Shadows, please sign up.
Jackie Comparing authors is really difficult, and I wouldn't say Miller's writing style is anything like Maas'... and I wouldn't want it to be. It's very…moreComparing authors is really difficult, and I wouldn't say Miller's writing style is anything like Maas'... and I wouldn't want it to be. It's very different. I liked it, though, and I strongly disagree with a previous answer stating that Sal's only characteristic is being genderfluid. In fact, they don't even mention it often... (less)
Rori From a conversation between Sal and Ruby in the book, it seems Sal is genderfluid experiencing 3 gender states: man, woman, and agender. The best…moreFrom a conversation between Sal and Ruby in the book, it seems Sal is genderfluid experiencing 3 gender states: man, woman, and agender. The best pronouns to use for them is "they/them". (less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book was so dull, which is weird, for a book that contains mostly action and not much else.

To mention this book in the same breath as Sarah J. Maas or Leigh Bardugo is just laughable. I don't even like Maas' books, but she has a writing style that makes her books easy to follow, and easy to read. This book is composed of too much action and dialogue, with little introspection and no art. Had I not read the blurb for the book, I would not have known what it was about, even after reading it 1
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Over half of my friends didn't like this book but I freaking loved it! There was only one little aspect I didn't like but it wasn't too bad.

Sal gets into the Audition to become the next Opal a particular assassin for the Queen. Sal has other plans, Sal wants to find out all of the people involved in killing everyone in Nacea.

This book is freaking awesome if you like assassins and people going around trying to kill each other and blood and guts and what not.

There are a group of these assassins
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
Per Linsey Miller's Twitter:
"There are new ARCs out, so bringing this back. Sal explains it in text, but please use they/them pronouns for Sal in reviews & discussions." @LinseyMiller

In light of this, I've updated this review to reflect "they/them" pronouns when referring to Sal. I apologize if my choice to review to Sal as "he" in my previous review for ease of understanding for readers offended anyone!
_______________________________

If I had one to describe this book in one word, it would
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is a hard one to review. Linsey Miller’s debut novel truly did have a lot of potential, and I do believe that the following installments will be much better than this first book that was laying the groundwork for this world. Unfortunately, this book read very slow and it makes the story in general feel very underwhelming.

Trigger Warnings for: misgendering, violence, and gore.

In this world, Queen Ignasi ended the
Simona Bartolotta
Full review now posted!

*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

•I don’t think there is much to say about a book like Mask of Shadows. In some respects, it very much reflects every single YA fantasy book out there. Specifically, and I apologize if this comparison has already been made by, basically, every single person who’s already read the book, the plot bears remarkably similarities to the Hunger Games concept—I have to point out, though, and sor
 ⚔ Sh3lly ⚔
RELEASE DAY! August 29, 2017 - This book has crazy-mixed reviews, but I LOVED it and highly recommend! :P

Review also found at The Paranormal Paladin.

The only person I think of at the moment who reminds me of Sal is Arya Stark from Game of Thrones, even though that isn't accurate. But, it kind of fits in my mind, so I'm going with it.

I was Sallot Leon—one of the last children of Nacea, orphan and street fighter, highway thief and Twenty-Three.

This book isn't released until September, so I don't w
Kaylin (The Hiatus Queen)
DNF @ 34%

As much as I hate leaving books unfinished, there’s nothing that makes me want to continue. Taking place in a generic fantasy world, Linsey Miller’s debut focuses on Sal, a thief who enters a competition to become one of the Queen’s Assassins.

...sound familiar yet?

This offers some really great representation, as Sal is genderfluid. I appreciated how they weren't completely defined by this, and the plot was the primary focus. However, despite the representation this offers, Sal isn’t
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Jan 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Dull, confusing and disappointing. Wow, I was really excited to read this book because of all the hype around it but it completely crashed and burned for me.
I rarely rate books (even the ones I really couldn’t get into) one star but this is the exception. I’m not gonna believe all the hype about another book again until I’ve read it myself so that I’m not as disappointed, like in this case.
Cait • A Page with a View
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-arcs
Release date: September 5, 2017

I read this because the description said it was perfect for fans of Bardugo and Maas, but this is nowhere near the same level of writing or creative story. I can see how the competition feels like the one in Throne of Glass, but it's pretty much just a Hunger Games ripoff.

The only thing this book has going for it is Sal, the gender fluid thief who's the main character. Sal likes to be referred to as he/she/they depending on what they're wearing. The explanations o
Fables&Wren
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
WrensReads Review:

This was me when I read this:
"Perfect for fantasy fans of Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo, the first book in this new duology features a compelling gender fluid main character, impressive worldbuilding, and fast-paced action."

This was me about fifty pages in:

I'm not sure who decided to come up with that little quote about it being like Maas and Bardugo, but I just have one question: have you read any Mass or Bardugo? Like I understand the whole "fight and see who whens to be on
Claire
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s, e-book, fantasy, ya
- Full review coming soon, closer to pub date -

Action-packed, daring, engaging and romantic, Mask of Shadows was everything I wanted and more! I will definitely be pre-ordering my own copy of this one off of Amazon, and I already can't wait for the sequel!
Kit✵
I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not persuade my actual opinion of the book.

1 star - maybe 1.5, if I'm feeling nice.

I'm sorry, but I just couldn't enjoy this. From the first chapter I sort of guessed that I wouldn't, with how the story just jumped into the action so quickly and so suddenly - I really disliked it. But not only that, but the writing wasn't great either - it lacked depth and barely described any of the scenes in ways people could actually
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“They’d welcomed me into their house, and I was going to tear it down.”

This was a YA fantasy story, about a gender fluid thief who trained to be an assassin.

Sal was an interesting character, and it took me a while to realise that he/she was gender fluid, and changed his/her preferred gender as often as he/she changed his/her clothes. It was an interesting element to the story though, and I felt sorry
Julie
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia
fuckkkkkk this book. I'm so glad it's over. Oh my god. This was a struggle to finish. I had to skim read the last few pages because I was so angry and ready to be done with this shit. For my review I'm going to try to be as non spoilery as I can, but if spoilers come out then I'm sorry. You've been warned. Also I'm sorry if this is super incoherent, but I'm just writing down my thoughts as they come to me. Here we go.

Words to describe this book: unmemorable, confusing, messy, unoriginal
Honestly
☆♥☆Kotyonok♥☆♥
***UNPOPULAR OPINION TIME***

I see reviews saying they're excited to read this because of the MC's gender. Then I see reviews saying the only good thing about this is the MC's gender and most of the book sucks.

Okay.
So.
If the only interesting thing a book has to offer is a character's gender, or the only good thing people say is the gender....yeah that is just the lamest thing ever. When your only selling point is gender. Or that's the only thing people latch onto....

That is just so stupid. Sorr
Jodi Meadows
Official comments: Compelling and relatable characters, a fascinating world with dangerous magic, and a dash of political intrigue: MASK OF SHADOWS completely delivered. Fantasy fans will love this book.

Unofficial comments: this was a seriously fun book.
Avery (Book Deviant)
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

Update: Reread March 2018: god that was as amazing and heart shattering as i remember. :-) not okay.

Original Review:

I would like to thank the people at Sourcebooks Fire for sending me a copy of this book via NetGalley, as well as to Shauna at b00kstorebabe for sending me a physical ARC.

Books that blew me away are always hard for me to write reviews for. In truth, I went in with hesitant expectations. I wanted to love this book, but mixed reviews
Dianne
You know that feeling when a book jumps out at you and the rest of the world fades away? MASK OF SHADOWS by Linsey Miller did that to me and getting to the end had me thinking, now that’s a great story! Imagine Fate dumping the opportunity to better your life, gain the respect of others and get a long awaited revenge on those responsible for the death of Sallit’s people. Sallit is all that is left, a skilled thief, living in poverty and filth. This is Sal’s chance to change that, but first the a ...more
Carrie DiRisio
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an earlier draft of this, and it is seriously one incredible book. Perfect for fans of Tamora Pierce and Scott Lynch, this action-packed, twisty novel will keep you on the edge of your seat. Sal is an incredible protagonist, the world-building is incredibly real-feeling, and there's even some gorgeous romance for all your shipping feels.
K. Wolf
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK GUYS.
EVERYBODY ADD THIS TO YOUR TO-READ.
BUY IT
ALL THE THINGS.
I can't impress upon you how awesome and amazingly written this book is, and the feels you'll be reeling with for a week(s) after. So yeah.
YOU GUYS HAVE GOT TO READ THIS.
Lo Bookfrantic

3★★★ stars

Genre: Fantasy Young Adult
Type: Book 1 in the Mask of Shadows Series
POV: First Person

Sallot Leon aka Sal a twenty three year old; was an orphan. Survived in the streets by fighting and becoming a great thief. He was the last children of Nacea; he had a goal, it was to become the next "Opal" aka the right hand of the Queen. He wouldn't stop until he accomplished it.

Honestly, this book was a bit hard to follow like I understood the story and overall it was good. However; it
Wren [t(he)y]
This review can also be found at http://fortheloveofbooksreviews.blogs...

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley.

Sal is a thief, living in a world complicated by politics and war. Still haunted by the 'shadows', they steal for Grell, but they're tired of it. After stealing from some nobles, Sal finds a flyer that could change their life. If they prove their worth, they can audition to be part of the Queen's Left Hand, a group of assassins that get their namesakes from the rings that the Q
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, fantasy, own, ya
A big thank you goes to Linsey Miller, Sourcebooks, and Netgalley for the opportunity to read this free copy in exchange for an unbiased review.

What an original premise and a bold move on Miller's part! Sal, a street fighter and highway thief, auditions for a place on the Queen's Left Hand, her trusted band of assassins. She/He then goes by Twenty-three and learns how to kill and also falls in love. It's a battle to the death. It's also an androgynous stand in the YA genre, which I thoroughly re
The Captain
Aug 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this young adult fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

This novel is about a young gender-fluid adult in a competition to become a court assassin for the purposes of revenge. Should have been a perfect catch but ended up being such a disappointment that I hereby decree that this book must walk the plank! Be forewarned dark opinions abide below . . .

Now this book is getting comparisons to Sarah J. Maas and
Taylor Knight
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse-books, arcs
The synopsis for Mask of Shadows says "perfect for fantasy fans of Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo". I think whoever wrote that set this book up to fail in comparison to those two writer's books. Comparing a book to the likes of Sarah J. Maas and Leigh Bardugo is a very bold claim and I feel like because of that claim and the epic sounding synopsis, I was let down by this book.

The plot is kind of boring and unoriginal. It felt a lot like The Hunger Games and by a lot, I mean almost an exact copy
Julie
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed me from beginning to end. The assassins, the deadly competition, the world in turmoil, the slow-burn romance! Sal is a hero to root for, cunning and ingenious and ruthless when they need to be, but with a spark of goodness and humanity. The gender fluidity isn't a huge plot point here, especially since it seems to be accepted by others in this world. I especially loved the witty repartee between the members of the queen's Left Hand. This is a thrilling, immersive fantasy you sh ...more
Joanna (joreadsalot)
Update

I am not going to spend to much time on this review because I'm glad to have gotten through it at all. I DNF'd this book but was curious to see how everything ended or if it would get better. The last couple of books I have decided to finish reading after I DNF'd them have made it on my Come Back Kid list at the end of year (DNF'd to 5 stars) but I guess sooner or later there had to be one that should have stayed as a DNF.

This book suffered in so many ways. Lets start with the back bone of
Christina
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from NetGalley for an honest opinion and I feel so incredibly lucky I did.

Ahhh, my friends. This book, this book is a beauty. Right away I need to say that I am both cis and straight, so the gender fluid aspect of the book, while a huge delight to me, can't possibly be as important to me as someone who identifies similarly to Sal. I'm so looking forward to those reviews in the future, seeing how special and meaningful this book could be. That being said, this book is an abso
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
This book had a lot of potential. The premise was there and it made sense, but it lost itself in info dumping, inaccessible characters, and overt similarities to other books.

Things I Liked :
I actually thought the premise of the competition to become the Queen’s next assassin was great. It made complete sense: kill the other competitors and don’t get caught. It was smart and allowed the book to have a lot of action and fight scenes. The tests the competitors faced were also very logical - speci
Crazy4Books
This book has a gender fluid thief competiting to become the Queens assassin. OMG! Yes Please! The assassin competition totally gave me Throne of Glass vibes and I really enjoyed the representation of a gender fluid character. The Queen has 4 assassins called the Left Hand and each assassin is called by the gem the queen where on her left hand. Theres Ruby, Emerald, Amethyst and Opal. Since Opal died the Queen is holding a competition to replace her

At first I was dying to know what sexe the main
Madison Mega-Mara...: #44 Mask of Shadows by Linsey Miller 1 6 Sep 01, 2017 03:49PM
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Guide, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • The Queens of Innis Lear
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • The Queen's Rising (The Queen’s Rising, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • Missing
  • The Gallery of Unfinished Girls
  • 27 Hours (The Nightside Saga, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • It Started With Goodbye
  • Untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
A wayward biology student from Arkansas, Linsey has previously worked as a crime lab intern, neuroscience lab assistant, and pharmacy technician. Her debut novel MASK OF SHADOWS is the first in a fantasy duology coming in September 2017 from Sourcebooks Fire. She can be found writing about science and magic anywhere there is coffee.
More about Linsey Miller

Mask of Shadows (2 books)
  • Ruin of Stars (Mask of Shadows, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“I would remember them forever–their names, my reasons, the way their bodies slumped in death and their eyes stared through me. If I stopped, if I let their deaths weigh me down and keep me from being Opal, it was all for nothing. There was no going back. I was what I was, and they were a part of me now.” 4 likes