Start by marking “Operation Tropical Affair (Poppy McVie #1)” as Want to Read:
Operation Tropical Affair (Poppy McVie #1)

Operation Tropical Affair

(Poppy McVie #1)

Alternate cover edition of ASIN: B00Y18HMJY.

A ruthless Costa Rican smuggling ring...

...Earth’s rarest animals traded on the black market.

One woman is ready to blow it wide open.

Special Agent Poppy McVie’s passion is wildlife, and the sight of beautiful creatures suffering in stifling crates pushes her to the brink. She and her special ops team have the means to stop those
Published April 19th 2016 by Turning Leaf Productions, LLC (first published March 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Operation Tropical Affair, please sign up.
Kimberli Bindschatel Hi Elizabeth,

I believe you must mark the book as "read" then you'll be able to click to write a review.

Kimberli…more
Hi Elizabeth,

Kimberli(less)

Start your review of Operation Tropical Affair (Poppy McVie #1)
Kylie D
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Join Special Agent Poppy McVie as she heads to Costa Rica to gather intel on a wildlife smuggling gang with her "husband" Dalton, another undercover agent. Trouble is Dalton doesn't trust her and holds her back, so Poppy takes matters into her own hands, meeting up with local activists. Yes, Poppy is headstrong, feisty, and doesn't listen to orders. She's totally unsuitable for the job at hand, and wouldn't even be considered in the real world, but hey, this is fiction, and it makes for a wonder ...more
2.5 stars.

This was an ok start to a new series. I enjoyed the wildlife protection angle but didn't really connect with either MC. It didn't help that (view spoiler)
Coco.V
Dec 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (12/9/2019)! 🎁
Liz
This book has a fantastic heroine. She's a Special Agent who takes down wildlife traffickers.

What I loved most about Poppy was that she was all action. She's still finishing her training and the men she meets underestimate and often dismiss her. But that never gets in her way. Her passion and drive are the animals so she pushes past any obstacle and, in my opinion, makes the men look like fools. I loved that she was sexually active and attracted to a couple men, she wasn't immediately besotted
Chris Norbury
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This lady got game! I was pleased to come across a female MC who was not over the top snarky and always laughing or cracking jokes in the face of real and imminent danger. Poppy McVie is a real character: quick-thinking, smart, resourceful, maybe too quick to overstep authority, but only doing that because she's passionate about doing her job in the best possible way.

Poppy is a newly-minted US Fish & Wildlife Service agent whose youthful exuberance and passion is tested in a life-or-death underc
Charles Ray
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A few weeks into her field training, US Fish and Wildlife Service Special Agent Poppy McVie busts a couple of bear poachers in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. In the midst of that operation, she’s called by her boss and told that she’s being reassigned. Her new assignment; go undercover in Costa Rica with a special operations team already in place to bust an animal trafficking ring.
In Costa Rica, Poppy has to deal with Special Agent Dalton—just call me Dalton—who is wary of having an untested female
Mandy Walkden-Brown
Action, adventure and a touch of romance.

Extremely well written, fast paced, with some great characters, particularly the feisty, head-strong Poppy. Even if she did go a little troppo in the idyllic isle of Costa Rica.

A thoroughly compelling story, both the plot itself and the way it discusses the alarming trafficking of endangered species. Loved the totally unexpected ending.

Dalton, the ex-SEAL definitely of interest!

Will definitely be reading more of Poppy McVie's adventures. Rather have t
April Parker
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read for animal lovers and nature enthusiasts, or for those who just love a great character. Poppy McVie is a spunky animal loving, gun toting wildlife Ranger who takes her job very serious. There will be no poaching on her watch. She might have a tendency to get in a little over her head, but that's what makes you love her. She can be a bit sassy but she doesn't back down.

This book had twists and turns. It takes you on a ride you'll never expect. All I can say is that I can't wa
Elsbeth
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poppy is smart, funny, strong and brave. And a little reckless at times. But, most important, she has a conscience and a heart. Which beats faster when near a handsome man...
What really gets her blood-pressure rising, is when she sees someone hurt animals. There is no messing with Poppy McVie! Loved it!
Kim Hamilton
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Bindschatel manages to open the reader's eyes to the cruelty of exotic animal smuggling, while keeping the story light, humorous and always entertaining. The wrinkled romance between Poppy and Dalton is great fun to follow. I'm looking forward to devouring this series.
Roy Rutledge
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very good book. It will make you stop and think about animals living in the wild and not in a pet store.
Clare O'Beara
This book is the first in the series about environmental protection and lawbreakers. I actually read another one first so I was interested to see how Poppy the protagonist got started.
The tale consists of three stories. There's the story of an ongoing undercover effort to follow the chain of smugglers of endangered wild animals from lush, tropical Costa Rica. There's the story of a small group of activists meeting informally on a beach to take direct action. And there's the story of Poppy herse
Denise
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'Operation Tropical Affair' completely blew me away. I don't know how I missed little gem. I am pleased that I found it though. The story line was amazing. I laughed a lot. The humor drew me in, but it's not just a humorous book. It's full of action, great characters, thrilling scenarios and hilarious dialogue. Once I started reading I knew I had to finish it. Poppy is an awesome lead. She's witty, funny as hell and isn't afraid to step in to back her beliefs. Dalton was kinda frustrating at fir ...more
Angela
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It was full of mystery and intrigue. It will keep you guessing and wondering what the hell is going on. I can't wait to see where this series takes its readers.
June
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Poppy McVie, she is a passionate protector of all things that deserve to live free in the wilderness they were born in. Her adventures will keep you entertained but you will also cry over some of the things that she comes across powerless to do anything about. I can't wait to read more of her stories.
Thom
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Marriage of Inconvenience!

Poppy McVie is not cut out for undercover work. And with so many hot guys around, she is easily distracted. Just when she gets her big break, along comes a complication that she doesn’t need. A pretend husband???

Off to Costa Rica she goes to join up with her make-believe husband, Dalton. He may not be her real husband but he sure plays the part. Including his annoying habit of treating her like a mindless trophy wife. Is she headed for a make-believe divorce?

She’ll sh
Shawn
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Poppy McVie is new to Fish and Wildlife, but passionate about the job, she just loves helping animals, so when she's called on to help with an undercover mission, she jumps at the chance (or would if she weren't currently taking down some bear-nappers). It's easy to see why the rookie was taken, she's got some serious skill when it comes to hand-to-hand combat and a coolness under fire that only comes from having been under fire--no answer is given as to how she obtained these skills.

Her new C/O
Jerry Dawson
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love love loved this book. Fast paced, exciting story with some well-done plot twists. Great heroine, great supporting characters. Simply a very well-written book and a fun read. Plus, I'm a wildlife nut and I never got to read about this topic in fiction before.
Donna
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great listen - dramatic yet with a real message too

This audiobook was offered to me by the author in exchange for an honest review, and I have to say I wasn't sure what to expect - I hadn't read any of the books by this author before and when I read another review that just said something along the lines of "so true, save the rainforest animals", I really wasn't expecting much! However, with a long journey ahead of me, I turned on the audiobook, and was soon caught up in Poppy's exploits.
The
subzero
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
Good quick read, timepass.
Melissa Reyneveld
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
The plot line for this story sounded great. The story itself wasn't terrible. The characters, however, were awful. The heroine, Poppy, was selfish, impetuous, disorganized and a know-it-all. The navy SEAL, Dalton, was a horny idiot. The Feds made a big deal about protocol all the time, yet said nothing when it wasn't followed. Another male in the story, Noah, had no depth and the whole thing with him seemed so completely out of place that I was never able to connect with him or their relationshi ...more
Valerie
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this book and can't wait to jump into the next one in the series!! Poppy is great, I love her determination and her will to overcome any obstacle just to save the innocent. Dalton drove me crazy with his demanding this and that and not listening but towards the end he started growing on me. There were a couple of sad moments in the book (dealt with animals, I don't like animals to suffer at all) but the rest of the time I was enjoying every minute of Poppy's adventure. I ...more
JadeShea
Poppy is sent on a special undercover mission, and when she meets up with her new boss sparks fly, and not all in good ways. Poppy is determined to figure this out and quickly, but Dalton, her boss, just wants her to stand around and be pretty, but that doesn't seem to work out so well for her. They must uncover this mystery before it is too late.

**May contain spoilers**
I liked the over all idea of this story, but I really didn't like any of the characters. I hated the fact that Dalton and Popp
Erin Fanning
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Escaping into Poppy McVie's Costa Rican adventures was almost as rewarding as visiting the country itself, and, as I guessed with her first novel, The Path to the Sun: An Epic Adventure, Kimberli Bindschatel is a natural storyteller. Poppy unfolds with perfect rhythm, along with excellent action scenes and a fun, feisty heroine. There’s a wonderful lightness in the way Poppy’s story is told, perfect for her voice, yet still able to convey the importance of Poppy’s work without jeopardizing the a ...more
LuAnn Rodriquez
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that not only has a powerful mission but also educates and yet is written well enough to keep you caring about the characters and involved in the story. Poppy McVie is a woman of strength and intelligence, two appealing characteristics, and her ability to improvise in dangerous situations creates a compelling story. The male-female interaction in the story adds interest and the setting of primarily Costa Rica, is a delight to mentally consume. I love any mission that promotes cari ...more
Lynda
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elaine
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and made me not want to put it down. Looking forward to more books by this author
Sue Williams
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a wildlife lover and poacher hater so this book hit the spot. Poppy is extremely easy to like. She is a little spitfire and does things her own way no matter what she has been told to do by her superiors. I think the book was well researched and the author has done a great job of taking the heart breaking subject of poaching and trafficking of wild animals and turning it into a wonderfully enjoyable story. As a bonus, all proceeds from this book are being donated to wildlife charities.

Audra
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great kick butt and take names for a cause

This story was action packed. Poppy was a very endearing character and a bit of a firecracker. Her zest for her job, willingness to go the distance for a cause and sense of humor was refreshing. The author brings to light the overall issue with poaching. Supply and demand. As long as there is demand for exotics, there will always be poaching. I love reading a book with a strong femAle lead.
Neera Sawhney
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Operation Tropical Affair is a must read for all animal lovers. Kimberli Bindschatel's love and understanding of animals comes through overtly and also very subtly. Poppy McVie is a strong woman, with her priorities in place, and not afraid to step out for what she believes in. This book is an adventure story, but it will make you think much more deeply as well. This is my first book in this series, and i can't wait to pick up the next one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Vigilant Charity: A Charity Styles Novel (Caribbean Thriller Series Book 5)
  • Rising Water (Jesse McDermitt Caribbean Adventure #15)
  • Rising Spirit (Jesse McDermitt Caribbean Adventure #16)
  • Rising Charity (Jesse McDermitt Caribbean Adventure #14)
  • Into the Blue (Coastal Fury #3)
  • Shot of Tequila (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6.5)
  • Pride of Barbados (Coastal Fury #2)
  • Ruthless Charity (Charity Styles Caribbean Thriller #2)
  • Wild Ocean (Tyson Wild Thriller #1)
  • Capitol Break (Chris Collins CIA Thriller #1)
  • Rising Thunder (Jesse McDermitt Caribbean Adventure #17)
  • Savage Coast (Ryan Savage Thriller #1)
  • Twice Removed (FBI Thriller #2)
  • Savage Justice (Ryan Savage Thriller #2)
  • Wild Rain (Tyson Wild Thriller #5)
  • Wild Justice (Tyson Wild Thriller #2)
  • Wild Riviera (Tyson Wild Thriller #3)
  • The Entangled Chase (Chase Fulton #6)
Kimberli A. Bindschatel is a thrill seeker, travel adventurer, passionate animal lover, wildlife photographer and award-winning author of the Amazon Best-selling Poppy McVie Mystery series.
When she’s not busting bad guys with her pen, she’s out in the wilderness getting an adrenaline fix. She has rappelled down a waterfall in Costa Rica, rafted the Grand Canyon, faced down an Alaskan grizzly bear

Poppy McVie (7 books)
  • Operation Orca Rescue (Poppy McVie #2)
  • Operation Grizzly Camp (Poppy McVie #3)
  • Operation Turtle Ransom (Poppy McVie #4)
  • Operation Arctic Deception (Poppy McVie #5)
  • Operation Dolphin Spirit (Poppy McVie #6)
  • Operation Wolf Pack (Poppy McVie #7)

News & Interviews

“he was enjoying this—the thrill of the chase, the undercover con, the adrenaline high.” 0 likes
“He took my hand in his with a smile that beamed with delusions of being a rich and attractive playboy.” 0 likes