Start by marking “The Dangerous Ladies Affair (A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Dangerous Ladies Affair (A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery, #5)

The Dangerous Ladies Affair

(A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery #5)

The next thrilling installment in the charming historical mystery series from MWA Grand Masters Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini

For the firm of Carpenter and Quincannon, Professional Detective Services, stopping extortionists is not only grand, but excitingly lucrative.

When a pleasant afternoon’s bicycling through Golden Gate Park with a friend ends with the revelation of
Published January 3rd 2017 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dangerous Ladies Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dangerous Ladies Affair

Karl
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Sabina Carpenter and John Quincannon Professional Detective Services are presented with a couple of new opportunities to solve mysterious crimes in San Francisco in the late 1890's in "The Dangerous Ladies Affair". Bill Pronzini and Marcia Muller alternate every few chapters telling the intricacies of how the detective pair investigate and solve the puzzles they are hired for.

This particular book is labeled number five in the series, however that numbering only apply's to this particular publish
Kate
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
These are interestingly plotted, and the very slow burn of Sabina's and John's relationship is a nice ongoing thread. The characterization is much improved here over the last, much more depth and reasoning behind the pair's actions and feelings. I prefer them aloud, however, and won't be tempted to read ahead next time just because there is no audio in Hoopla yet. The history of San Francisco is interesting though not always seamlessly included. I wish we could get back to the city history myste ...more
Sheila
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed the previous stories in this series and this was no exception. I enjoy the dialogue between the detectives, Sabina and John. The old-fashioned words used to describe things - like instead of beau- swain was used. Also the descriptions of old San Francisco give you a different feel for the time and place. In the author's notes you realize how much research went into the telling of this story. I was surprised to find out that Utah was one of the first states to give women the right ...more
Brenda  Gunier
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book tells of each partners investigation into different clients affairs. As this series continues, it continues our look into San Fran during an earlier time. A look at issues and people at the beginning of the women's fight for the vote, adding blackmail and murders, plus a few twists and turns.
Tara Kozocari
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series. Fully rounded characters and bits of California history thrown in by two great mystery writers
Kathleen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know if Bill Pronzini published the first part of this mystery as a short story, but as I read it I knew it. However he expanded on the story by allowing the murderer to thwart him. I have not read this book before because Sabina's story was new to me. This was a serviceable novel with wonderful details about the steam boats that travelled from San Francisco to Stockton and Sacramento. I enjoyed it but wasn't captivated by either scenario. Because each adventure is only about 100 pages i ...more
Roxanne's Reads
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had mixed feelings about this story. The Japanese maid and the backwards religious fanatic felt somewhat stereotypical. Quincannon was too impulsive trying to nab someone who outwitted him. He then gets single-minded and impulsive trying to find them. If I was Sabina, I think I would've been more annoyed with him rather than further seeing him as a potential beaux. On the other hand, Sabina's case gave a fascinating look into the suffragist cause. Imagine being fined $100 to vote like Susan B. ...more
Nese
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a light-hearted, a fast-paced, and an entertaining historical cozy mystery that takes place in San Francisco in 1896 with a side story of suffragists and their campaigns of having a state amendment passed to the state constitution giving women right to vote in California. I like the fact that each character in the book has a distinct and unique personality, the political and cultural atmosphere of the times and the physical surroundings are well-described, and two stories told are c ...more
Trudi Jorda
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Detectives Quincannon and Carpenter-- a pair of male and female detectives in San Francisco in a time of women's suffrage and the Barbary Coast have to solve mysteries and deal with budding attraction between the two of them. Interestingly done at a historically interesting time in our country's early development!
Mysteryfan
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first one in the series that I've read but it won't be the last. Marcia Muller and Bill Pronzini are both Grandmasters and their mastery is quite evident here. Tightly plotted, engaging characters, good storylines. And a bonus locked room puzzle. The pre-earthquake San Francisco setting and the suffragette issues add to the feeling of authenticity. Very worth reading.
Laura Chase
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
still enjoy the characters and their interactions. this particular one I found to be disjointed and somewhat harder to follow with the jumping back and forth between the various cases by the 2 detectives.
Christie
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good story. Not my favourite Marcia Muller series, as I love her Sharon McCone series.

If you like historical novels, then you will love this series.

I like that I learn new words in each novel.
Jen
Feb 15, 2018 added it
Interesting characters and time period, but i felt like I was reading a series of short stories.
Christine Law
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. The historical detail is great and the characters are engaging.
Cindy
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Like authors better in this series than in separate works. Really enjoyed narrators performance. Plot & characters are well developed. Recommended.
Linda
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun historical mystery set in 1890's San Francisco.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Set in 1896, San Francisco, detectives John Quincannon and Sabina Carpenter both take cases involving blackmail.
Susan
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: slmta
This book has a a setting that teaches the reader about a time and place that they
might only visit through the eyes of the characters.
Leanne
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly entertaining, filled with amazing historical detail, this latest entry in the series is a great read.
Crystal Karre
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love these characters!
Rachel Bagel
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting. And a good read. I take issue only with the way it was read, seeing as I listened to it on audio. Nice rapport between the two main characters, and a sweet & simple intrigue.
Beth
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great mystery taking place in San Francisco.
Anne
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Quick and easy read with little depth. It was amusing but nothing to get excited about.
Cybercrone
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable for an easy read.
Craig
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
In general it was ok. The book was centered on Women's Suffrage and the increasing romantic feels the characters have for each other. Not one for romance in a mystery book. Meh.
Kelly
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Definetly not as great as some of the earlier novels...I skimmed most of the end
Meghan Curts
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Compelling!
Sarah Haman
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
easy to read with lots of good info about SF in the 1890's
Sherry
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the double investigations & blossoming attraction between Carpenter & Quincannon!
Michele
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspensemystery
This installment was more about the relationship between the two detectives than about the cases, which is probably good because the cases weren't very exciting. Now that we've reached a consensus on the romantic side, I wonder if there will be any more editions?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
A native of the Detroit area, Marcia Muller grew up in a house full of books and self-published three copies of her first novel at age twelve, a tale about her dog complete with primitive illustrations. The "reviews" were generally positive.

In the early 1970s, having moved to California, Muller found herself unemployable and began experimenting with mystery novels.

In the ensuing thirty-some years,

A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery (8 books)
  • Carpenter & Quincannon, Professional Detective Services
  • The Bughouse Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon, #1)
  • The Spook Lights Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon, #2)
  • The Body Snatchers Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon #3)
  • The Plague of Thieves Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon, #4)
  • The Bags of Tricks Affair (A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery #6)
  • The Flimflam Affair (A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery #7)